Thinking Of A R1 As A First Bike? Click Here First! - Page 117 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #2321
GHERNAN
YOUALREADYKNOW

Bikes: 2010 R1
First Bike. Had to go straight for the gusto off the showroom floor.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1342660951.052062.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	469109   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1342660977.256129.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	469110   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1342661005.979233.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	469111  
GHERNAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #2322
kingnba6
R1der

Bikes: 2006 R1 Blue
so thats your first bike? what part of ny you from? im in the city

R1-013 'Lucky 13th' Squadron
kingnba6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #2323
GHERNAN
YOUALREADYKNOW

Yea. First street bike. I'm upstate.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #2324
NicholasRomano
I eat my R1

Bikes: 04 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHERNAN View Post
Yea. First street bike. I'm upstate.

What part of Upstate? I ride through Gardiner a lot.
NicholasRomano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #2325
Rico_Law
Banned

Bikes: 2003 R1 raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasRomano View Post
What part of Upstate? I ride through Gardiner a lot.
I do too, rt.44/55 I know some crazy roads but they are short hops

Sent from my F-15
Rico_Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #2326
GHERNAN
YOUALREADYKNOW

Syracuse Area......

Old 07-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #2327
Handyman
I eat my R1

Bikes: '08 Ducati 1098S, '05 CBR600RR, '05 R1
When I hear people talk about bike and hear the saying "a 1000cc bike will kill you faster than a 600cc bike" I ask them, "How?" and you'd be surprised at the puzzled looks I get. I disagree with that saying because a 600cc bike will kill you just as quickly if you don't repsect the bike and the power it has. If you take either size bike and put them in the exact same situation no bike will be safer than the other.. The ONE and ONLY( in my eyes) thing that dictates the safety factor of either size bike is the rider. With the technology that the 600cc and 1000cc bike have the 600's are almost as fast as the 1000's. The rider is what makes the 600 or 1000 safe. I think the insurance companies should make their premium amount off the rider, not the type/make/model/engine size of the bike being insured. Any bike can be safe when the rider respects the bike. The maturity and responsibility to not twist that right wrist is the key component to not getting yourself killed. yes there are those kids who have to have the fastest bike but what they fail to underatand is that just because it says it can do 180mph+ doesn't mean THEY can do it or possess the skill and knoweldge to handle the bike at such high speeds. At those speeds things have to be done way in advance and that is something I learned when i started riding... the faster you go the earlier things needs to be done and that requires you to think ahead of time, not last second.

I started riding in Feb '08 on my very first street bike, a Ducati 1098S. I was scared as hell. i rode around my neighborhood for a couple weeks to really learn braking, low speed turns, clutch friction points etc. and then ventired out into the city... I now have 48,200 miles on my Ducati, I later picked up a '05 CBR600RR with 15K miles as a secondary bike, it now has 33K miles, I just picked up a '07 R1 that needs some TLC before I can get it on the road but I fully intend on racking up some miles on it if I decide to keep it.. Since Feb '08 I have logged roughly 66,200 miles between my 2 bikes and have not YET wrecked. I say not yet because as a rider it's not if you go down but when you go down. I have a background in riding dirtbikes and sand drag racing my 2 yamaha banshee's i felt that i could handle the power that street bikes produce and I knew the repercussions if I was irresponsible...

What do i tell people new to riding when they ask about what size they should get?? I talk to them and get to know them a bit better because while one person may possess the responsibility and maturity to own a 1000cc bike the other should not even get on a bike. Once I got to know them I'd say that they need to narrow down the type of bike they wanted and then test ride the bike and if more than one engine size was available they need to ride them and choose the one they felt the most comfortable on.

Prime example... My room mate met a girl who rides and wanted a bike because she rode. He bought a '05 CBR600RR and was so scared of the bike he was a danger to himself and others on the road. he never rode fast, or did anthing stupid but when he got into traffic he freaked out and would make bad decisions. He is the only person I know that can and will drop a bike during low speeds turns... he would take turns so slow that bike would fall over, He finally sold the bike after dropping it 5 times in one day because he didn't understand that you can go too slow when making turns.

This is just my way of thinking and I know some may not agree but it's just how I see things. I'm not sure if there is a right and wrong way to suggest a bike size.

In my eyes it's rider who makes the bike safe or unsafe no matter the engine size because the bike will only do what the rider tells it to do.

Last edited by Handyman; 07-25-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #2328
RiderR1
squidly Tendencies

Bikes: 2010 R1 LE, 2004 gsxr 750, 2010 Ninja 250
A liter bike will break the tire loose much easier than a six.

When you crack the throttle on a straight the big bike will have much more speed coming into the braking point. Add that with a bike that is heavier, which will require more skill to slow and get turned. It takes far less time to get in over your head on a big bike.

Can some people get away with learning on a liter bike yes. But the odds are stacked against you. But I do enjoy passing liter bikes with the wife's ninja 250 in the twisties.
RiderR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #2329
Saphexus
You don't impress me.

Bikes: 2011 Raven
I picked up an R1 as my first bike just 8 months ago. Granted, I grew up on the back of my dads Harleys and V-Stars, but there's a huge difference there. I've been very careful to take the bike certain areas that God himself seemed to have designed to teach new riders (curvy, empty park roads and urban grids with not much traffic) and so far seem to be doing alright.

I don't plan on being some track day superstar anytime soon, but I know that in time I'll be able to pull the bikes potential all the way out. Just gotta be smart about it. Take the curves just a little deeper, a little faster each time, plan for the unexpected and stay 100% concentrated at all times.

Seems to be working.
Saphexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #2330
awyland1111
My R1 eats me.

R1 was my first street bike. I have miraculously not killed myself..... yet. Just because I didn't/haven't though doesn't mean you won't. I wasn't a kid when I bought it and deployment money bought mine, but i'm also not a retard. I have a buddy who bought a liter bike for his first bike as well.... He flipped it in less than a month.(escaped with just a broken bike) After riding a 600cc bike i'm glad I got the R1 first. The 600cc is still plenty fast enough to kill me and over confidence would get me in a heart beat. The R1 still scares the shit out of me everyday. Bottom line, respect the bike (any size) and it'll treat you right.
awyland1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #2331
Rossi Yamacati
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: 2010 Rossi R1
I'm am still holding out for the day when they pass laws not allowing your first bike to be any larger than a 600. Agreed. A 600 can kill you just as fast as a 1K bike. But a 600 is a lot more user friendly, and you are less likely to get into serious trouble. A 600 will do more than anything you should be doing on the street anyway. It took me 18 years of riding before I ever bought a big bore. Now I'm just faster in the straights.

My first bike. Suzuki GT 185
Honda Rebel 450
90 750 Can a tuna
93 750 Gixxer
96 750 Gixxer
04 Gixxer 1K
another 04 Gixxer 1K
10 R1 Rossi
Rossi Yamacati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #2332
KillinEmSoftly
My R1 eats me.

Talking My first bike was a 2003 R1

Ummmm i wouldn't necessarily its a bad idea to start on a r1 i spent less than a season on my brothers r6s before he took it back and told me i had to get my own.... (i only put about 8k on it while i had it...most than a lot of people do in multiple seasons) either way i went and bought myself a 03 R-1 and haven't managed to kill myself yet. although... some douche decided it was a good idea to try and drive down the 2ft bank and stop on my baby instead of backing out like a normal person, last month some time... speaking of which. (does anyone know where i can find the measurements i need to insure my frame is still straight?) im currently buying all the parts i know i need to get it back up and running.
KillinEmSoftly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #2333
KillinEmSoftly
My R1 eats me.

but yes i would say to be safe if your not comfortable on a bike start off with a 600 YES it is plenty fast enough to kill yourself if thats the route you really want to take
KillinEmSoftly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #2334
macfarlanes
My R1 eats me.

Funny things bikes. If you'd just passed your car test, nobody would ask about buying a Lambo or 911 as a first car. However, new bikers seem to go for some Jap supersports like everyone else.

If really wanna R1, go for it. Though a few reasons why not include:
- You'll look uncool. Riding an R-this or GSXR-that like a newbie just doesn't look good. Yes, you will look like a newbie until you'be built up the miles (although the right advanced training can greatly speed up the process).
- More experienced bikers on 'lesser' machines will over take you. (When this happens more than once, you could have the odd moment thinking "I'm on an R1, they shouldn't be overtaking me on that Deauville, I'll show 'em" ... and end up dangerously over-cooking it.)
- It's a waste of your dosh. A new car driver is hardly gonna appreciate a Ferarri, so why is a new biker gonna appreciate an R1?
_ You'll save on bike price, insurance, etc. You can spend the saving on having an absolutely brilliant time broadening and deepening your expertise and enjoyment (biking holiday, race school, advanced training, etc).
- Biking should be about fun. You'll probably have more fun on something else. Go test ride an SV650 (excellent bike), CBR600F, ER6F or something like that. Then make your decision.

Test rides a wide range of different bikes. Then decide which is right for you. You might still go for that R1, but you could surprise yourself which you enjoy riding most
macfarlanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #2335
Rotaryhead
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I agree with the others. It's how the rider rides and not the size of the bike that will cause them to crash.

The only reason why I wouldn't suggest buying a r1 as a first bike is because it's more expensive. The chances of a newb going down is high and it would be less expensive to damage a cheaper bike.

People that abuse speed and doesn't know how to control the bike will crash regardless if it was a 600 or a 1000.
Rotaryhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #2336
Puck Fu

In$urance...
call up and ask for a qoute on an R1 as a first bike.. then proceed to make your decision!

Seriously though, get a fuel injected bike.. like a 650 or 750... it's good for city riding, good for Adrenaline rush, plenty of speed.. and if you wanna go on a track then maybe later get an R1...

it's OVERKILL in normal everyday use...

I live in Texas, deal with Traffic... owned a 09' Ninja 250R as a starter bike... sold it after I got an R1... probably would be happy with a 650/750!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #2337
R_1000

Bikes: 2002 R1
I guess it's everyone's individual choice what they want to ride. I personally started off with CG125cc, FZ400RR, Fazer 600, Gixer 600, TL1000S, TL1000RR, Blade 954, Triumph 955 and finally R1. R1s are the easiest bike to handle for an experienced rider (providing you are within your limits) but can be a death trap for a beginner. That's just my view end of the day. I spoke to a guy at the bikers meet place last year and he was on a Busa (His 1st bike, 24 Years Old, Almost paying 2.5k for TPFT insurance)!!!!!!!!! He was telling me all the goodies he was going to add to his bike........What could I possibly say to him.

End of the day the sensible ones will learn to walk before they start running. And dumb ones will take off on a litre bike like there is no tomorrow only to wake up at the hospital with broken bones and worse............

Last edited by R_1000; 12-10-2012 at 05:39 AM.
R_1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #2338
tushar897
My R1 eats me.

The Yamaha YZF-R1, sometimes referred to as the R1, is an open class sport bike,or superbike,motorcycle manufactured by Yamaha Motor Company since 1998.Yamaha launched the YZF-R1 after redesigning the Genesis engine to offset the crankshaft, gearbox input, and output shafts. This "compacting" of the engine made the total engine length much shorter. This allowed the wheelbase to be shortened significantly, resulting in much quicker handling and an optimized center of gravity. The bike had a compression ratio of 11.8:1 with a six-speed transmission and multi-plate clutch.
-----------------------------------
website templates
tushar897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #2339
Links311
Yamahaaa!!

Bikes: 12' R1 MotoGP #0326
R1 isnt my first bike, but my last one was a 600r that I put about 6k miles on it, so I hadn't been riding long. I understand the fear factor from the amount of power this thing has. It's a world of difference from my 600r. The bike was properly broke in, now I have to break myself into how to properly ride it.

I'm no expert, hence why I decided to keep it low, respect the power, and join a forum to ask questions and seek some knowledge. I don't know if I would say that an R1 is an acceptable first bike, but I would say that no matter the experience, the attitude of the rider has got to be a key factor.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 AM   #2340
ecd212

Bikes: 06 Yamaha R1 50th anniversary
My first street bike was an 03 R1 and now I have 06 50th anniversary R1 & R6. I never wanted anything smaller.
ecd212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement