New to the forum and have a couple of questions. : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Rex1585
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2000 R1
New to the forum and have a couple of questions.

Hey all, I am new to the forum and my name is Tyler.

I am looking at picking up a 2000 R1 on saturday, previous owner says he bough it with a blown motor, and replaced it. Also has new plastic on it, etc. I have experience with Cars (former Ford tech), and not afraid of wrenching. I have experience with bikes. Was DD'ing a Ducati Monster until a deer ran out in front of me back in August.

I am wondering if there is anything in particular I need to look out for on these bikes, and possibly this one in general. Thanks
Rex1585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Rex1585

Sorry, first post is a little in-descript now that I re-read it.

Are there anything on the 00-01 bikes that are common failure areas besides the typical maintenance items? I know many bikes have issues with fuel line deterioration in the tank, and some have issues with wiring breaking by the steering head. I was just curious if there was a FAQ of common know problems for pre-purchase on these bikes or not. And I would prefer not to need to use a dealer, or even an indie.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Blue Streak
I've fallen and I can't get up

Bikes: 2000 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex1585 View Post
Sorry, first post is a little in-descript now that I re-read it.

Are there anything on the 00-01 bikes that are common failure areas besides the typical maintenance items? I know many bikes have issues with fuel line deterioration in the tank, and some have issues with wiring breaking by the steering head. I was just curious if there was a FAQ of common know problems for pre-purchase on these bikes or not. And I would prefer not to need to use a dealer, or even an indie.

Thanks in advance.
No real common "failures" that i can speak to. Was the engine rebuilt or replaced with another 00 engine and who did the work? New plastics - was the bike dropped and is that why they were replaced? I think I would look for a bike that had OEM plastics and a good engine and pay a little more vs. potentially getting something that causes you head and heart aches down the road. Unless you get a great deal compared to similar years or you are allowed to thoroughly inspect first (doubt that) be careful.

Since the 00 is not FI but carbs you will obviuosly want to check them out - especially if bike has been sitting around for any length of time.

My 00 engine is as solid as the day I bought it. How was the one you are talking about blown?

Last edited by Blue Streak; 11-07-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Blue Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
slowboyracing
Quality Parts at Great Prices!

If the engine has been changed, I would try to find a service manual for it, and make sure the hoses, cables and wires have been routed correctly so that it doesn't cause problems in the future.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
thnakdone
strength and honor

Bikes: 2x99 R1's, the black widow and the blue beast, 02 R1 trackwhore
as for manuals... go here http://www.redshift.com/~ray/R_is_for_respect/ and just download them... the plug on the regulator rectifier gives people headaches as well as the connector for the ignition.... other than that, check the 2nd gear and make sure it shift in and stays in gear under hard accelleration, if it pops out you are gonna need transmission work (thread on it in here as well).... other than that, nothing really. the bikes are strong and last a long time... the carbs will prolly need to be cleaned real well bc of all the crap ethanol in fuel now....

signature courtesy of Petrol

R1-015 "GHOSTRIDER" Squadron Member

Think honorably and speak honestly. What you put forth is a true reflection of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Oh, he doesn't have a choice. If I want it I am gonna take it.
thnakdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
Rex1585

Sweet, thanks a bunch guys, I was already in thought of it possibly being down. I will let you know what comes from it. When I see it and can go over it on friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thnakdone View Post
as for manuals... go here http://www.redshift.com/~ray/R_is_for_respect/ and just download them... the plug on the regulator rectifier gives people headaches as well as the connector for the ignition.... other than that, check the 2nd gear and make sure it shift in and stays in gear under hard accelleration, if it pops out you are gonna need transmission work (thread on it in here as well).... other than that, nothing really. the bikes are strong and last a long time... the carbs will prolly need to be cleaned real well bc of all the crap ethanol in fuel now....

Thanks for the link. Trying to find that info on Ducatis is harder than getting a date with Emma Watson.

Question about how hard to get on it. What approximate rev range would it pop out? Like in the max power section, or in the meat of the range just after peak torque? I will search to see what I can find.

Last edited by Rex1585; 11-07-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
thnakdone
strength and honor

Bikes: 2x99 R1's, the black widow and the blue beast, 02 R1 trackwhore
from my experience if the shift forks or dogs are out it will pop out past 5-6000 rpms... just grab a hand full of throttle, just hard acceleration

no problem with the link... you will find this place very helpful in terms of repairs and mods...

signature courtesy of Petrol

R1-015 "GHOSTRIDER" Squadron Member

Think honorably and speak honestly. What you put forth is a true reflection of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Oh, he doesn't have a choice. If I want it I am gonna take it.
thnakdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement