Should I buy an 07 if the ecu still lags : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Eric08
My R1 eats me.

Should I buy an 07 if the ecu still lags

Should I buy an 07 if the ecu has not been replaced. Can I still get it replaced for free?
Eric08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Tad158
Astronomer not Astrologer

Bikes: 09 R1, 78 CB750K8
Or you could flash it, it will update the software in the ECU to the 08.....along with all the other benefits to the flash...
2009 Raven R1
Mods: Custom Fender Eliminator, Custom Rear Reservoir Bracket, Custom Clutch Sliders, Spiegler Rennsport SS Front/Rear Brake Lines, Driven Clip-ons, Spider Peak Grips, Zero Gravity Light Smoke Double Bubble Windscreen, M4 Y-Pipe, Vance and Hines CS One cans, Shogun No-Cut Sliders, F-T custom image with Bazzaz QS sensor, Ferodo ST HH Front Pads, RaceDAC Data Logger, RaceTech Springs, F1Composites track bodywork.
Build Thread

Flash-Tune FAQ Thread
Tad158 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
bacchus40
kickin' at the darkness

Bikes: 2005 RAVEN R6, sold; PEARL WHITE 2009 YZF R1 ~ rip, CADMIUM YELLOW 2009 YZF-R1!
yup... ecuNleash that mofo!..

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,
bacchus40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
toysareforboys
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: 07 R1, flash-tune'd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric08 View Post
Should I buy an 07 if the ecu has not been replaced. Can I still get it replaced for free?
For sure! Send your ECU over to OhioYJ on the R6 forum and he'll flash it and update it for free

-Jamie M.
toysareforboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Wings of gold
My R1 feeds me

Bikes: 07, silver bullet
Im not 100% sure but I think you can get yourself a power commander3 or 5 and get it tuned at a shop and you will be good to go as well

(someone could possibly confirm this to be true? )
Wings of gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
Tad158

, there was some kind of bug in the ETV map part of the ECU in a certain number of 07 ECUs. They replaced or reflashed them to fix this issue....
2009 Raven R1
Mods: Custom Fender Eliminator, Custom Rear Reservoir Bracket, Custom Clutch Sliders, Spiegler Rennsport SS Front/Rear Brake Lines, Driven Clip-ons, Spider Peak Grips, Zero Gravity Light Smoke Double Bubble Windscreen, M4 Y-Pipe, Vance and Hines CS One cans, Shogun No-Cut Sliders, F-T custom image with Bazzaz QS sensor, Ferodo ST HH Front Pads, RaceDAC Data Logger, RaceTech Springs, F1Composites track bodywork.
Build Thread

Flash-Tune FAQ Thread
Old 11-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Wings of gold
My R1 feeds me

ah man :/, well I have yet to try the 5500rpm/full throttle but I've never noticed any lag so far in the bike. hopefully it will stay that way.

OP, buy it ! you will not regret it, its ( imo ) the best looking year model and a helluva good ride like any bike its not perfect but you will not be disappointed
Old 11-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Tad158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings of gold View Post
ah man :/, well I have yet to try the 5500rpm/full throttle but I've never noticed any lag so far in the bike. hopefully it will stay that way.

OP, buy it ! you will not regret it, its ( imo ) the best looking year model and a helluva good ride like any bike its not perfect but you will not be disappointed
You may have gotten an 07 with a fixed ECU, I think it was an issue with the early 07's....
2009 Raven R1
Build Thread

Flash-Tune FAQ Thread
Old 11-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
Wings of gold
My R1 feeds me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad158 View Post
You may have gotten an 07 with a fixed ECU, I think it was an issue with the early 07's....
Would be nice, I got the bike second hand from the original owner, a bike closer to showroom floor I have yet to see,(family man, almost never road it) but its an 02/07 production date model, the one that also should have the bad valves according to some XD

Im not making a strong argument for Op here to buy an 07 model trolololol
but again, one of the best looking bikes you will ride, like seriously the thing looks and rides like a jet fighter who would't want to ride a jet fighter

Last edited by Wings of gold; 11-04-2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: original owner*
Old 11-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Lex2go
Never be afraid to slow down!

Bikes: '07 R1 & '13 1199S
Quote:
Or you could flash it, it will update the software in the ECU to the 08.....along with all the other benefits to the flash...
I flashed mine and no laggy anymore!
Lex2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #11
Eric08
My R1 eats me.

I bought the bike and it does have the 5500 rpm 2nd gear lag. Will yamaha still grant swapping out the ecu if I talk to the dealer. The dealer I talked to said they remember this issue from before.

In regards to the claim of the early years with the bad valves, 02/07. I beleive mine is in this range also. How creadible is this claim? Was there a bad batch of these bikes early in production?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #12
Wings of gold
My R1 feeds me

grats on the bike ! not a bad bike batch but a bad valve batch from what I could read on the net. Im having mine changed in the spring regardless what they look like once I open it up. When you go to the dealer for your ecu ask them if they will check the valves for you, if not there are plenty of how too's here for you to do it at home.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
tnole23
go go juice gonna make me win

Bikes: 2008 R1 Raven
Quote:
I bought the bike and it does have the 5500 rpm 2nd gear lag. Will yamaha still grant swapping out the ecu if I talk to the dealer. The dealer I talked to said they remember this issue from before.

In regards to the claim of the early years with the bad valves, 02/07. I beleive mine is in this range also. How creadible is this claim? Was there a bad batch of these bikes early in production?
no. yamaha really cheaped out and offered a limited replacement, like a year or something. they never declared a recall, which was the loophole.

if reflashing fixes it, then def do that. pc won't help. reflashing is good stuff anyway.

don't know any issues with valves. if you're talking about the tick, it's normal.
FlashTune w/dyno fuel map|RaceTech Suspension|Termignoni CF Slipons|Attack Performance Rearsets|Brembo 19 RCS MC|Renthal Clipons|Dano QS|Akrapovic Y-Pipe|520 (-1/+1)|Hyperpro Damper|BlasterX|MRA Racing DB|Gilles Chain Adjuster| MotionPro Throttle|BMC Air Filter|Graves Smog Plates|GYTR Comfort Seat|Targa Solo Cowl|Tec-Spec Traction Pads|Pazzo Shorties|GB Racing Covers|Spiegler SS Brake Lines| HIDs|Flushmounts|Gear Indicator|Sharkskinz Track Bodywork
tnole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
Garrett04
I eat my R1

Bikes: 07 R1
Actually yes you can still get it replaced. You just need to go to a Yamaha dealer mention the technical bulletin, have them get on the phone with yamaha, and they will swap it. I got mine replaced a few months ago. I bought an 07 R1 w/ 6400 miles on it and found that it experienced the issue, and went the route I stated. There is a thread on here somewhere too, just search for it. Has the technical bulletin and all. With some tips from others if you get a dealer who is slightly retarded and needs some pushing in the right direction.
Garrett04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
tnole23
go go juice gonna make me win

Bikes: 2008 R1 Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett04 View Post
Actually yes you can still get it replaced. You just need to go to a Yamaha dealer mention the technical bulletin, have them get on the phone with yamaha, and they will swap it. I got mine replaced a few months ago. I bought an 07 R1 w/ 6400 miles on it and found that it experienced the issue, and went the route I stated. There is a thread on here somewhere too, just search for it. Has the technical bulletin and all. With some tips from others if you get a dealer who is slightly retarded and needs some pushing in the right direction.
awesome, that's good. i know the thread you're referring to, and there is where it said they didn't. which is y i ended up with an 08 and not an 07. if u can find a dealer to hook u up then that's awesome. since he already has the bike it's worth a shot, for sure. or if they changed it from when it was, well, then obviously.
FlashTune w/dyno fuel map|RaceTech Suspension|Termignoni CF Slipons|Attack Performance Rearsets|Brembo 19 RCS MC|Renthal Clipons|Dano QS|Akrapovic Y-Pipe|520 (-1/+1)|Hyperpro Damper|BlasterX|MRA Racing DB|Gilles Chain Adjuster| MotionPro Throttle|BMC Air Filter|Graves Smog Plates|GYTR Comfort Seat|Targa Solo Cowl|Tec-Spec Traction Pads|Pazzo Shorties|GB Racing Covers|Spiegler SS Brake Lines| HIDs|Flushmounts|Gear Indicator|Sharkskinz Track Bodywork

Last edited by tnole23; 11-05-2012 at 01:22 PM.
tnole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
r1crystal
Ayo Flocka!

Bikes: 2008 R1
Take it to any yamaha dealer and they will still replace it under warranty. I just did it earlier this year on my '07. They just need to be able to replicate the problem at the shop. Took the guy a couple times but he felt it and that was that.
r1crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #17
Eric08
My R1 eats me.

In regards to the number four intake valve seeming to be the one of most popular failure, I can only hear mostly a ticking noise on the clutch side of the bike rather than on the throttle side when listening to the head. Is this normal?

Also, when I jump on the gas in low rpms the bike sounds like it has a weird vibration and noise or something. This happens in situations when rpm is below 4k.

Could this be due to my chain being too tight? because it is and I havent gotten around to loosening it yet. Or the clutch, at a low rpm like this?

Thank You
Old 11-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
r1crystal
Ayo Flocka!

Bikes: 2008 R1
Quote:

Also, when I jump on the gas in low rpms the bike sounds like it has a weird vibration and noise or something. This happens in situations when rpm is below 4k.

Could this be due to my chain being too tight? because it is and I havent gotten around to loosening it yet. Or the clutch, at a low rpm like this?

Thank You
That is the get your ass above 4k sound. I've had two 07/08 R1's and they both do that. Just the engine struggling with the amount of throttle you are giving her at such a low RPM. Not built for that!
r1crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
Eric08
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1crystal View Post
That is the get your ass above 4k sound. I've had two 07/08 R1's and they both do that. Just the engine struggling with the amount of throttle you are giving her at such a low RPM. Not built for that!
Nice. Do you have any comments on the ticking mostly being on the clutch side of the bike? Is that the #4 cylinder side? Ive been reading that its usually the #4 intake valve that seems to wear out and/or drop.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #20
Wings of gold
My R1 feeds me

Quote:

...I tried it this morning, steady at 5500, full throttle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement