Too easy to be behind the bars of a motorcycle? - Page 2 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #21
slowboyracing
Quality Parts at Great Prices!

I'd like to spin this around, and say it is too easy to be a cager.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #22
Stonewall
ROWDY

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexxx View Post
Tell me about it. Wish Something would be done. NC is EIGHTH highest on the NATION for motorcycle death rate.
Why should it be any different than operating a automobile? You have to learn some how. Agreed that Professional instruction is good! But the problem is not everybody has MSC course's available local to them.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #23
Flexxx
*Insert Witty Phrase Here*

Bikes: A couple 09 R1's, 07 zx6r(sold), 05 R6(sold), 03 R1(sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
Why should it be any different than operating a automobile? You have to learn some how. Agreed that Professional instruction is good! But the problem is not everybody has MSC course's available local to them.
Well with an automobile, you have a years time to learn with it mandatory that an adult is in the vehicle with you. Since thats not viable on a motorcycle, I would think some sort of course should be taken BEFORE you are able to get on the road.

And since the DMV offers the road course in order to get the actual license, I think they should offer a course to get the permit.

NC STATE LEAD
R1-016 VENOM SQUADRON JOIN HERE

My 09 R1 Build

My Crossplane-Powered í37 Legends Car Build

Flexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #24
cubic
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

why do you even care about what strangers do? you should worry about guns being too easy to get, not riding license.
cubic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #25
Flexxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic View Post
why do you even care about what strangers do? you should worry about guns being too easy to get, not riding license.
Uhm, maybe because those "strangers" are the ones that I'm sharing the road with... Just maybe...

NC STATE LEAD

My 09 R1 Build

Old 11-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #26
Blue Streak
I've fallen and I can't get up

Bikes: 2000 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
because we need govt to protect us from ourselves

What about the guy that is responsible, or the guy that's been riding dirtbikes since he was 3-4....or the guy that has been racing since the age of 12...

I don't know too many responsible 16 year old's (but I wont get into a debate how one defines responsible_.... I am not talking about people who have had some sort of license or another for some years...

I rode motorcycles off-road starting in single digit years. Loved popping wheelies and doing crazy stuff - I got pretty good but not ready for traffic and cagers.. It's called unconscious incompetence.

Also if you are making the argument that it's a wise idea to get a litre bike as a first ride I think a large % of the 1/4 million viewers and 2K plus posters on the forum Sticky thread "R1 as a first ride" would disagree.

I can ride my bike pretty darn good at 100 mph plus on my bike but I am still glad the government has traffic speed laws... they are not just to protect ourselves

my 2 cents
Blue Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #27
SamusR1

Bikes: 2012 R1 Matte Grey/Black
Don't know if anyone has covered this yet, but in Australia its now 3 full years with multiple tests to get your open class Motorcycle license. Prior to that you are restricted to <660 CC AND power to weight restrictions, so all 600cc supersport bikes & alike are out.

Be careful what you ask for, its a total bitch being stuck on slow bikes for 3 years.
SamusR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #28
jake300win
assfault junkies

Bikes: 2007 r1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamusR1 View Post
Don't know if anyone has covered this yet, but in Australia its now 3 full years with multiple tests to get your open class Motorcycle license. Prior to that you are restricted to <660 CC AND power to weight restrictions, so all 600cc supersport bikes & alike are out.

Be careful what you ask for, its a total bitch being stuck on slow bikes for 3 years.
Yea that seems a little extream. It would suck having to ride small stuff like that around for three years, what would happen if the caught you on liter bike?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Motorcycle.com App

"That doesn't sound right but I don't know enough about stars to dispute it"
jake300win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #29
SamusR1

Bikes: 2012 R1 Matte Grey/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake300win View Post
Yea that seems a little extream. It would suck having to ride small stuff like that around for three years, what would happen if the caught you on liter bike?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Motorcycle.com App
Well I don't know the exact penalties but it is considered something similar to driving unlicensed. Considering you would be within that 3 year probation period, you would probably have your license suspended for 3-6 months, you may have to start the 3 years again.

Basically those three years are like a good behaviour bond. Zero alcohol limit, Zero speeding, etc. if you get done for those, instant suspension
SamusR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #30
TwistedSprocket
I get food for your bike.

Bikes: 09 R1
Well now that where on the topic. I shit my pants when I went for my license In New Orleans. I knew how to ride a bike already but the simplicity of walking away with a license had me disgusted. First of all no permit is required too take the test. I figured makes sense not ideal but I can see it, lots of people have already learned too ride and are just wanting too get their license for the street. Step one was to take the test; an assortment of 15 common sense questions. One of witch included identifying the meaning of a one way sign from a picture. If you failed this test your brain must be made of pudding. Once the big test was over it was time for the practical. The proctor then filled me in on what abilities I needed to demonstrate in order too receive my Louisiana motorcycle endorsement. Due to the limited space in the parking lot I was instructed to ride too the end of the parking lot and back 4 times. In during my travels I had to make one complete stop and shift into second once. My favorite part was when the lady told me "I know we don't have a lot of room for you bikers here so you are aloud too use your feet when your turning around if need be". Holy molly I just got my motorcycle endorsement! Its a scary thought isn't it. I didn't refuse my endorsement although I was completely disgusted by how easy it was.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #31
rorytsm
damn turkeys

Bikes: 04 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRacing View Post
That Learner's permit and is only good for a year with (1) 6 month ( extension).

To get an actual license you still have to pass the written and Road test.

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/driver/motorcycle/

Not Easy Breezy but too hard either. And if you take or have taken the MSF course, you just have to pass the written portion.

it depends on the state, but i rode for around 3 years on just a permit. granted i broke the riding at night rule, passenger rule, and no riding on the expressway rules all the time, but all i'd do is let it expire and just get a new one. i never even bothered with the extensions (don't even know if they existed then honestly).
rorytsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:20 AM   #32
Mad Matt
I eat my R1

Bikes: R1
Big difference over here in the UK...

First to ride any bike you need to be over the age of 21. Then you have to pass a CBT which shows the instructor you know the very basics. Once you collect your CBT certificate you need to pass a theory test, once thats passed you can then put in for your practical test. The practical test is in 2 parts, part 1 is in a controlled environment where your expected to carry out various tasks, emergency stop, riding in and out of cones, figures of 8 around cones, u-turnes between cones and avoidance. Knock a single cone over and you fail, do not hit the required speeds when doing the tests and you fail, put your foot down whilst doing a task and you fail.

Pass this then its on the road you go to take the 2nd part of your test, you are taken around the local area/town for almost an hour to show you are safe to ride. Make 10 minor mistakes, 3 of the same minor mistakes or one serious mistake and you fail. This all has to be done on a bike which is no less than 500cc....
Mad Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:23 AM   #33
SakiBomb
Herro!

Bikes: 05 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
Big difference over here in the UK...

First to ride any bike you need to be over the age of 21. Then you have to pass a CBT which shows the instructor you know the very basics. Once you collect your CBT certificate you need to pass a theory test, once thats passed you can then put in for your practical test. The practical test is in 2 parts, part 1 is in a controlled environment where your expected to carry out various tasks, emergency stop, riding in and out of cones, figures of 8 around cones, u-turnes between cones and avoidance. Knock a single cone over and you fail, do not hit the required speeds when doing the tests and you fail, put your foot down whilst doing a task and you fail.

Pass this then its on the road you go to take the 2nd part of your test, you are taken around the local area/town for almost an hour to show you are safe to ride. Make 10 minor mistakes, 3 of the same minor mistakes or one serious mistake and you fail. This all has to be done on a bike which is no less than 500cc....
This is like what would happen in my world

The way I ride, I might not even pass my own test
SakiBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #34
Mad Matt
I eat my R1

Bikes: R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakiBomb View Post
This is like what would happen in my world

The way I ride, I might not even pass my own test
Lmfao, im not even sure if i would pass it, things were very different when i did my test...

Since these rules were introduced deaths and accidents have dropped massively...
Mad Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:09 AM   #35
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Not sure how many 16yr olds can afford a bike, so blame the parents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #36
Trevmo
Ride it like you stole it!

Bikes: 2004 YZF-R1
Pretty close to the same here in Germany. I already had the endorsement on my US license and they made me take a 804 question test on the computer. After that, I had to do 3 'practice' rides with an instructor. After this, I had to take a test at the certification office. Once this was complete, I had to do a test ride with one of the certifying officials. After all that, I got my license. What a pain!
Trevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #37
ironaddict
livin the dream

Bikes: '06 R1 pearl white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
NO NO NO. Parents arnt responsible for anything anymore. Its all up to the government to tell us what we can and cant do.
ironaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #38
Medevack1
Never forget!!!

Bikes: '06 R1 50th anniversary & 99 YZF R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexmitchell View Post
Or a 18 year old really.
My nephew is 14 and he knows how to handle guns better than most people i know. Between his Father and i, we own over 300 guns , IMO is all about education, respect and responsibility.
To the OP, I totally disagree about the non experience rider getting a permit at that age, and to get the permit to ride w/o a MSF class IMO thatís a HUGE NO NO, They shouldnít be on the streets w/o a MSF type of class and a MC license. I know ill get hell for this but a 15-16 yo has no business on a HUGE cc bike. They should be able to start with a smaller bike, other than jumping into a 1000cc+ bike for their first bike. Iím sure if you do a search most of the accidents in NC are due to lack of experience, and acting stupid. On the other hand you have kids who have been riding MX since they were 5. i know i know, MX is different from Riding street bikes but the concept is almost the same. Iím a MSF instructor and i see all types of Riders. Some are good and to be honest some suck!!! The newbs are easy to teach they donít have any bad habits but the ones who have been riding for yrs, They think they know it all..... lol
Just my 2cents
"The Lord knows the way I take, and when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" JOB 23:10
"Nightstalkers for life" Never Leave a Soldier Behind
Medevack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #39
Flexxx

Quote:
Well, i bought my first bike when I was 16. Worked my tail off for two summers working and got myself an 05 r6. Granted, I lived with my parents, ate with my parents, and my main bills were paid for by my parents, so yeap, I suppose they could be blamed in the end.

NC STATE LEAD

My 09 R1 Build

Old 11-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #40
rorytsm
damn turkeys

Bikes: 04 R1
Quote:
i bought my first bike when i was 16 with my own money
rorytsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement