07 Rear Caliper Replacement : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Mechanical / Help This area to for help in the areas of, engine, carbs, transmission, suspension, mounting etc

Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
rider18
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

07 Rear Caliper Replacement

Hello,

I accidentally broke the seal on my rear caliper while removing the tire. The shop told me they would charge me $120 to have the rear caliper rebuilt. I was wondering if i buy a used caliper for $50 do I still need to rebuild the used one or I can just put the brake pads on it and start using it?

Thank you
rider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
skunkworx
I eat my R1

Just get a seal kit and do it yourself. It's the rear so there's only one piston. I think 30 bucks or so should cover it.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
Blue Streak
I've fallen and I can't get up

Bikes: 2000 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider18 View Post
Hello,

I accidentally broke the seal on my rear caliper while removing the tire. The shop told me they would charge me $120 to have the rear caliper rebuilt. I was wondering if i buy a used caliper for $50 do I still need to rebuild the used one or I can just put the brake pads on it and start using it?

Thank you
Like skunk said - its easy to rebuild yourself.

To answer your question - if you buy a used rear it is probably good to go as most come off of crashed bikes and are salvaged parts. You should be able to do a quick swap out (if it comes with pads in make sure you clean your discs before using different pads).
Blue Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
deecarp1
My R1 is MY ROAD DAWG 4 LIFE

Bikes: 1998 YZF 600R sold, 1998 R1 heaven bound, 1999 ZX9 sold, 01 GSXR 750 sold, current beauty 2008 R1
if you need a rear caliper I have two, I can easily let one go.

Sig courtesy of Uncle P My Thread update http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337945
deecarp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #5
Benocehcap
Sonic Boom!

Bikes: 2001 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider18 View Post
Hello,

Thank you
Dont rebuilt a OEM stock part

if you dont have the money for upgrade get a use one. Like "deecarp1" is offering. Just make sure he sends you pix and he guarantees u that the parts is in 100% working condition.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #6
fjorn
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?

Bikes: '07 R1 (track only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benocehcap View Post
Dont rebuilt a OEM stock part
I disagree. There is nothing wrong with the OEM calipers and rebuilding one is a good way to ensure it's in proper working order during the life of the bike. Why spend $50, or more, for a used caliper when you don't know it's condition? It might be slightly bent, warped, corroded on the inside, etc. If you buy used, you should take the opportunity to rebuild it to ensure you have a properly functioning part.

The OEM calipers are easy to rebuild if you have some mechanical abilities. The rear caliper kit is around $50 or less:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...PER/parts.html

Item #4 on that page. It's $51.08 MSRP, $38.25 they are selling it at.
    • Gawarrior - June 25, 2008
    • bandrews - October 9, 2011
fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
deecarp1
My R1 is MY ROAD DAWG 4 LIFE

Bikes: 1998 YZF 600R sold, 1998 R1 heaven bound, 1999 ZX9 sold, 01 GSXR 750 sold, current beauty 2008 R1
Here is a link to the page that has a picture of the caliper. the price in the add is for the entire assembly shipped. or make a reasonable off for just the caliper.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showt...light=deecarp1

Sig courtesy of Uncle P My Thread update http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337945
deecarp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement