Saving money for "doomsday" or natural disaster? : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

View Poll Results: Do you feel you need to use your money for getting prepared?
Yes 33 67.35%
No 9 18.37%
Not sure 4 8.16%
The country is fine; no worries. 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
Fikays
SuperMod Abuser

Bikes: 2000 R1; 1999 R1 trackwhore; Sold: 1999 R1, 2000 Ducati 996, 2007 R6r, 2008 R6s
Saving money for "doomsday" or natural disaster?

There is an interesting topic going on right now in one of the other threads about being prepared for the worst -

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347037

So I am curious as to what folks think about actually getting prepared for some "doomsday" scenario or natural disaster(hurricane, tornado, earthquake, etc).

I don't want to discuss any scenario here, I just want to see what folks think about actually taking serious the possibility of getting "ready".

So do we need to start looking at not spending money on luxuries and instead use the money for getting prepared for the worst? This question revolves around getting ready right away...like within the next year or earlier.

Please vote in the poll!

BTW, this isn't about hoarding actual money, gold, etc...it is about spending money on getting prepared now, literally - food, guns, ammo, shelter, etc.

SIG courtesy of petrol!

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron CO

Last edited by Fikays; 11-09-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Fikays is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
I think it's prudent to spend money on being prepared in general. It doesn't have to be a doomsday scenario. Recent years have proven that preparedness would help out greatly just in case of natural disasters alone. IMO, the threat of tornadoes, hurricanes and earthquakes alone justify investing in being prepared..........for ANYTHING.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Fikays
SuperMod Abuser

Bikes: 2000 R1; 1999 R1 trackwhore; Sold: 1999 R1, 2000 Ducati 996, 2007 R6r, 2008 R6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
I think it's prudent to spend money on being prepared in general. It doesn't have to be a doomsday scenario. Recent years have proven that preparedness would help out greatly just in case of natural disasters alone. IMO, the threat of tornadoes, hurricanes and earthquakes alone justify investing in being prepared..........for ANYTHING.
Yeah good point. I should have added "disaster". Let me edit that in right now.

SIG courtesy of petrol!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
WarMachine
INSTIGATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE

Bikes: 2003 R1 SPECIAL EDITION
Quote:
for ANYTHING.
Well under way but have a long way to go

GHOSTRIDER SQUADRON XO
sig courtesy of UNCLE PETROL

"It is inconceivable that the framers - seeking to provide Americans with a means to resist tyrannical government - would fashion a right that can be exercised only in the context of a militia that is under government control." Robet A. Levy

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM]
WarMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
cataclyzm123
I have a big attitude!

Bikes: 2013 R1
I live in earthquake country. I keep emergency supplies to last my family and pets about a month or two.
One thing I would suggest adding to your emergency kit is a military field surgery kit.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
designflaw
Did you say R1?

Bikes: 2007 1000RR
I think u forgot an option

- Frank is gay

designflaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 94 VMax, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
I'm doing my part to prepare my family for hard times. Hard times include everything from a couple days power outage to a total collapse of the US financial system or EMP. You have to start small and go with what will keep you alive for the short term, then expand your stores to include the longer duration emergencies. I belong to a local MSG "Mutual Support Group" that keeps everyone informed of deals, training, new products, issues they've had, etc. This group is invaluable for me and my resources.

If you have insurance on anything you own, you are a prepper. You are prepared in a minute way for something to go wrong. There's nothing wrong with being ready for something you feel is going to happen. 2 families in the group have dealt with long term unemployment without breaking stride because they have prepared. Many in our group have offered the families some of their stores that are getting to the long side of their shelf life to help them out, but other than that they have made it on their own.

There's no reason to take it to the extreme right now, we have some time before it all goes to shit. Even after it does, You don't need 3 years worth of food and a small army to survive. In a katrina situation, you will need 4-3 weeks of food and water to survive, half a year to thrive. Sandy situation, about the same.

Some people go out and buy a freeze dried years supply of food. It's a waste, that crap will give you sores in your mouth after a few days, let alone months. It's high in sodium and not as tasty as you would like. You're better off to buy and rotate the foods you eat every day. You can dehydrate or can what you buy and grow, you can put back rice, pasta, beans, LENTILS, and some freeze dried or MRE style food for when you can't take time to prepare a meal.

Become an expert in the disasters that affect your area. Prepare for those. In my area, tornadoes are a huge issue and several people in my group have shelter, food and clothing stashed in underground caches near their house. Not my bag, but they enjoy the security of being able to overcome that disaster.

Some people just buy guns. Guns are a tool that can be used for many purposes but I choose not to use it to rob or steal. They will be a deterrent and security force.

Supposed Experts say that in a huge disaster where help is not coming, after 8 or 9 weeks, only a militia or assembled group can survive unprepared. So for the most part, if you can make it past a couple months without help, you will outlive most of the lemmings and be more secure. At that point you can start living again and planting crops, etc. That is unless you move to a low population center that is more agriculture based in its economy. There you will have the best chance at repelling scavengers and keeping things normal.

I could go on forever but I'm not, you get the idea. Some web sites can help you get there, such as survivalblog. There are a ton of them out there with nutters and preppers alike so your mileage may vary. Teotwawki blog just ended a yearlong series on prepping on 40 bucks a week. It's a great idea for those who really can't afford much. They have fun and have some really good gear, book and food reviews.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Blue Streak
I've fallen and I can't get up

Bikes: 2000 Yamaha R1
Preparing for natural disasters, man-made disasters etc. is smart. Its easy to keep a supply of non-perisshable foods, water, small bills, camping utensils, etc. in a few ready to go Backpaks. There are tons of resources on the web to use as checklists.

If its armageddon - no amount of money, insurance or supplies is going to do much good.

Also, some can spend money on luxuries and still be prepared ... just depends on your financial situation.

Last edited by Blue Streak; 11-09-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Blue Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
R1nStang
Owner of the color changing R1

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
i answered no because its kinda a loaded question. do i think i should stock up a shelter with food, ammo, water, gas, etc etc that will last for weeks or months. No.

do I think i should have at least some food and ammo in my house for if the power gets knocked out for a couple days or so. then yes. im not going to go crazy with stockpiling stuff though. but i never let my fridge and cabinets go completely empty either. there will always be something there...even if its a gallon of water and a box of ramen packages

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Yoshi TRC-D slip-ons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, ECUnleashed with Race Idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO View Post
my anus is just swollen.. Shut it!!!
R1nStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
Fikays
SuperMod Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by designflaw View Post
I think u forgot an option

- Frank is gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1nStang View Post
i answered no because its kinda a loaded question. do i think i should stock up a shelter with food, ammo, water, gas, etc etc that will last for weeks or months. No.

do I think i should have at least some food and ammo in my house for if the power gets knocked out for a couple days or so. then yes. im not going to go crazy with stockpiling stuff though. but i never let my fridge and cabinets go completely empty either. there will always be something there...even if its a gallon of water and a box of ramen packages
Look at what you just said, Mike - you stock your fridge but if the power is out for a few days, then what are you going to do? How are you going to boil the water for the ramen without power?

While I understand what you are saying, maybe you should consider just doing a bit more.....better to have and not need than to need and not have.

SIG courtesy of petrol!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
Benocehcap
Sonic Boom!

Bikes: 2001 Yamaha R1
Frank you need to watch this...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/
Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
rorytsm
damn turkeys

Bikes: 04 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post

Look at what you just said, Mike - you stock your fridge but if the power is out for a few days, then what are you going to do? How are you going to boil the water for the ramen without power?

While I understand what you are saying, maybe you should consider just doing a bit more.....better to have and not need than to need and not have.
maybe he has a gas stove? my shit works without power
rorytsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
Fikays
SuperMod Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytsm View Post
maybe he has a gas stove? my shit works without power
Well, I wanted him to answer that! But yeah.....so my next question would be how much gas do you have on hand?

SIG courtesy of petrol!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
Fikays
SuperMod Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benocehcap View Post
Frank you need to watch this...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/
What is that? I can't see it from work.

SIG courtesy of petrol!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Quote:
What is that? I can't see it from work.
A movie called "The Road".

Storyline

A father and his son walk alone through burned America. Nothing moves in the ravaged landscape save the ash on the wind and water. It is cold enough to crack stones, and, when the snow falls it is gray. The sky is dark. Their destination is the warmer south, although they don't know what, if anything, awaits them there. They have nothing: just a pistol to defend themselves against the lawless cannibalistic bands that stalk the road, the clothes they are wearing, a rusting shopping cart of scavenged food--and each other. Written by Sean Pollock
Old 11-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
R1nStang
Owner of the color changing R1

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
Quote:

ive got a couple cans of that "fuel" for small burners. i just cant remember the damn name of it right now. My old man use to have them all the time when he was in the army

and i said fridge AND cabinet. Ive got lots of canned foods like beans, those nasty ass viena sausages, ravioli. just the shit that may not be appetizing...but you can survive on

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Yoshi TRC-D slip-ons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, ECUnleashed with Race Idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO View Post
my anus is just swollen.. Shut it!!!
R1nStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #17
Fikays
SuperMod Abuser

Quote:

Storyline

A father and his son walk alone through burned America. Nothing moves in the ravaged landscape save the ash on the wind and water. It is cold enough to crack stones, and, when the snow falls it is gray. The sky is dark. Their destination is the warmer south, although they don't know what, if anything, awaits them there. They have nothing: just a pistol to defend themselves against the lawless cannibalistic bands that stalk the road, the clothes they are wearing, a rusting shopping cart of scavenged food--and each other. Written by Sean Pollock
Oh. I have seen it and have read the book.

What point are you trying to make, Ben?

SIG courtesy of petrol!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Quote:
ive got a couple cans of that "fuel" for small burners. i just cant remember the damn name of it right now. My old man use to have them all the time when he was in the army

and i said fridge AND cabinet. Ive got lots of canned foods like beans, those nasty ass viena sausages, ravioli. just the shit that may not be appetizing...but you can survive on
FireGlo Fuel? The gel stuff that's in like a pint size metal paint type can?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #19
Fikays
SuperMod Abuser

Quote:
I know what you are talking about...we always had a couple around when I was in the Army too. We used JP8 to burn it.

So you would use these to make ramen, I presume? But how much is a "couple of cans"? Would you use the fuel and burner for other things? Where would the water come from if the taps didn't work?

Not sharpshooting you here....just pointing things out you should consider in case you haven't.

SIG courtesy of petrol!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #20
WarMachine
INSTIGATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE

Bikes: 2003 R1 SPECIAL EDITION
Quote:

Storyline

Saw that, was depressing as hell

GHOSTRIDER SQUADRON XO
sig courtesy of UNCLE PETROL

"It is inconceivable that the framers - seeking to provide Americans with a means to resist tyrannical government - would fashion a right that can be exercised only in the context of a militia that is under government control." Robet A. Levy

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM]
WarMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement