Saving money for "doomsday" or natural disaster? - Page 3 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

View Poll Results: Do you feel you need to use your money for getting prepared?
Yes 33 67.35%
No 9 18.37%
Not sure 4 8.16%
The country is fine; no worries. 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #41
R1nStang
Owner of the color changing R1

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
That movie hurt to watch.

What are you going to do the second day? Water goes fast. 8 gallons a week to live decently, 13 to use if it's going to be long term. I have a 30k gallon reserve.

Depends on how doped up or hungry they are.
ration. the human body can go 3 days without water. I dont have to drink a gallon a day. Plus i always have a 12 pack of sodas

i said in my original post. im not stock piled for weeks. a week maybe a little longer. other than that ill start raiding the corner store down the street

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Yoshi TRC-D slip-ons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, ECUnleashed with Race Idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO View Post
my anus is just swollen.. Shut it!!!
R1nStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #42
WarMachine
INSTIGATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE

Bikes: 2003 R1 SPECIAL EDITION
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1nStang View Post
ration. the human body can go 3 days without water. I dont have to drink a gallon a day. Plus i always have a 12 pack of sodas

i said in my original post. im not stock piled for weeks. a week maybe a little longer. other than that ill start raiding the corner store down the street
Problem with the last part is the corner store will be empty by the time you need more supplies

GHOSTRIDER SQUADRON XO
sig courtesy of UNCLE PETROL

"It is inconceivable that the framers - seeking to provide Americans with a means to resist tyrannical government - would fashion a right that can be exercised only in the context of a militia that is under government control." Robet A. Levy

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM]
WarMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #43
R1nStang
Owner of the color changing R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
Problem with the last part is the corner store will be empty by the time you need more supplies
not if its a disaster and it wiped out the entire city and im the sole survivor.....at least thats what ill tell people

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Yoshi TRC-D slip-ons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, ECUnleashed with Race Idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO View Post
my anus is just swollen.. Shut it!!!
R1nStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #44
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 94 VMax, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Quote:

I'm not trying to get adversarial with you. I'm just trying to explain what it takes to live. Water is a requirement that cannot be messed with. For the record, you can last 3 days without water in a temperate climate and you do very little activity. If you're caught without water during the summer heat in Texas without air conditioning and you're guarding your house against looters, you've got a good day before you see a serious performance decline. Hikers who walk the Appalachian trail during the summer will drink 3 gallons of water a day to keep up. Ask the boys freshly back from the sandbox how much water is required in a day.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #45
Fikays
SuperMod Abuser

Bikes: 2000 R1; 1999 R1 trackwhore; Sold: 1999 R1, 2000 Ducati 996, 2007 R6r, 2008 R6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclyzm123 View Post
Its not that I am worried that someone will take my supplies. Im a good shot and have plenty of ammo.
My problem is that I dont think I could refuse helping.

Would you be able to turn away a starving child?
Quote:
I would like to help but word of mouth could sink you and your supplies.
The only way to avoid having to help others is to not be seen or known. Whether that menas barricading yourself and your family in your house or living way out in the boondocks....but that is the only way to avoid folks.

Stephen is right. You may help a few grateful folks, but eventually folks who will want to take everything of yours are going to hear about it.

Quote:

Have you ever gone three days without water in this kind of environment? You have any idea what soft drinks will do to your body in this situation?

SIG courtesy of petrol!

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron CO
Fikays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #46
Stonewall
ROWDY

Lots of lakes and ponds in my area! water is not hard to come by
Old 11-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #47
Fikays
SuperMod Abuser

Bikes: 2000 R1; 1999 R1 trackwhore; Sold: 1999 R1, 2000 Ducati 996, 2007 R6r, 2008 R6s
Quote:
I'm not trying to get adversarial with you. I'm just trying to explain what it takes to live. Water is a requirement that cannot be messed with. For the record, you can last 3 days without water in a temperate climate and you do very little activity. If you're caught without water during the summer heat in Texas without air conditioning and you're guarding your house against looters, you've got a good day before you see a serious performance decline. Hikers who walk the Appalachian trail during the summer will drink 3 gallons of water a day to keep up. Ask the boys freshly back from the sandbox how much water is required in a day.
Precisely my point in my last point. during the invasion of Iraq, we were moving so fast we were ahead of the supply lines by several days. Us NCOs were rationed to two bottles of water and one MRE for three days.

That shit got ugly fast.

You can lead a horse to water........

SIG courtesy of petrol!

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron CO
Fikays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #48
Stonewall
ROWDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Precisely my point in my last point. during the invasion of Iraq, we were moving so fast we were ahead of the supply lines by several days. Us NCOs were rationed to two bottles of water and one MRE for three days.

That shit got ugly fast.

You can lead a horse to water........
Man I don't see how you guys survived the heat and wind blown sand!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #49
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
Lots of lakes and ponds in my area! water is not hard to come by
Gotta be careful of those retention ponds. They can be polluted with lawn chemicals, phosphates, protozoa, virus's and many other bugs. Standing water is never the best source unless it's over 4 acres and not surrounded by lawns and farms.

Buy a filter as well, 1 to 3 micron.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #50
Stonewall
ROWDY

Quote:
Gotta be careful of those retention ponds. They can be polluted with lawn chemicals, phosphates, protozoa, virus's and many other bugs. Standing water is never the best source unless it's over 4 acres and not surrounded by lawns and farms.

Buy a filter as well, 1 to 3 micron.
Filter for sure and boiling if required.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #51
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Quote:
. I dont have to drink a gallon a day. Plus i always have a 12 pack of sodas
Sodas are a diuretic;they'll make you waste probably half of the water you take in. You might as well drink your piss at that point.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #52
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Quote:
I have a 30k gallon reserve.
Damn.......you gonna drink the swimming pool?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #53
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
Damn.......you gonna drink the swimming pool?
That's the plan. We only use chlorine in the pool and change the water over every year. We drained it this year just before we winterized it. Fresh city water in there with a little Chlorine to keep it clear.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #54
Kangaroo
para bellum

Jason's planning on being called The Mayor of New Indy.

Sig courtesy of SpidermanSS 9-15-09

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #55
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo View Post
Jason's planning on being called The Mayor of New Indy.
F that. I'll be in hills of Kentucky.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #56
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

I started getting serious last year, this year I've enacted a plan and next year I will start rotating. Should cut our grocery bill by half.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #57
Creeping Death
Born Again Patriot

Bikes: 2009 YZF-R1, Raven
Quote:
And if there is a mob behind them?
That ones easy... .308

Quote:
An inch of snow hits the ground in Charlotte and the grocery stores are wiped out. Pathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
The only way to avoid having to help others is to not be seen or known. Whether that menas barricading yourself and your family in your house or living way out in the boondocks....but that is the only way to avoid folks.

Stephen is right. You may help a few grateful folks, but eventually folks who will want to take everything of yours are going to hear about it.

Have you ever gone three days without water in this kind of environment? You have any idea what soft drinks will do to your body in this situation?

SIG courtesy of Petrol Spice in care of InkedR1Pilot
Thanks Uncle P!

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli #58 01/20/87 ~ 10/23/11
R.I.P Andre (Twistgrip)
Ride On Brothers...
Creeping Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #58
Kangaroo
para bellum

Here we go with fallout shelters again.

Sig courtesy of SpidermanSS 9-15-09

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #59
MANOWAR
I ****ed the girl in Hanson

Bikes: 2004 R1 Silver #1673 (fastest color)
If you have some extra funds. Here's a stove that burns sticks for fuel AND charges your iPhone. My brother has one and it works surprisingly well. I'll be getting one soon.

http://biolitestove.com/campstove/ca...view/features/

They have a bigger one they call a HomeStove but it's not for sale yet.

http://biolitestove.com/homestove/overview/

PCIII USB|Yamaha Seat Cowl|R&G Frame Sliders|Greggs Custom Barend Sliders|Intuitive 6MM swing arm spools|CRG Shorty Clutch & Brake Levers|Clear Alternatives Brake/Tail Light Integrator|R&R Fender Eliminator|Harris Grips|High Gear Tech Mount|Puig Dark Smoke Racing Screen|Graves Velocity Stacks|Cycle Gadgets Quick Change Oil Kit|Watsons Flushmount Turn Signals|Custom Race Baffles|Graves Clutch Slider|Acumen Gear Indicator|Racer Solutions Remote Laptimer Kit|Galfer SS Brake Lines|Graves Rearsets
MANOWAR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #60
lobsterhound

Bikes: 03 600rr, 02 r1
Ok, so here is my last ditch scenario plan:

I happen to own a 50 foot boat. It is equipped with a fresh water tank that holds 1000 gallons. An ice maker with a large hold capable of storing months worth of food. I can make ice directly off the salt water so it doesnt draw from my supply of fresh. 4 bunks, fridge,microwave,shower, head, stove, etc.... All of that runs off a Northern Lights Gen Set independent from the main power plant (850 cat). I have 2 1500 gallon fuel tanks. I dont know exactly how long I could run the gen set alone of 3000 gallons but its a damn long time. 6 months minimum.

The boat is also equipped with dual 6 foot Furuno sweep radars to monitor the horizon for any impeding danger. Every piece of communication device available for a boat. ( monitor airways) 3 massive sodium lights that could blind a possible enemy while I took shots at them. I even have a tv with a dvd player to kill time lol.

The boat is also equipped with a tail gate stern. (stern opens hydraulically) So I can easily take along a atv, truck, skiff to go onto islands etc... That could come in handy for missions on land.

And finally and most important the boat is rigged with the capability to fish for multi-species at any given time. Long line for fish, traps for lobsters, crabs etc.... Abundant unlimited food supply.

I also have numerous spare parts aboard. I could practically fix any imaginable problem that could occur. I also have a number of pumps aboard and could easily rig a bilge pump to gather more fuel at different locations. (Most lighthouses have diesel back up generators)

I assume there will be people on the water as well if all goes to hell but I figure my odds are better that way. Obviously way less people than on land. I can easily move about from place to place without worry about road blocks etc... Also having grown up on the water I would likely have an advantage over many of the other people who might try the same.

So thats my plan. Ive actually kinda done a test run. We loaded the car on the boat and took it to Florida for the winter once and used it like you would a camper

Sig pic courtesy of Uncle Petrol "Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." -G. Washington

Last edited by lobsterhound; 11-09-2012 at 04:05 PM.
lobsterhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement