Saving money for "doomsday" or natural disaster? - Page 5 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

View Poll Results: Do you feel you need to use your money for getting prepared?
Yes 33 67.35%
No 9 18.37%
Not sure 4 8.16%
The country is fine; no worries. 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #81
Moonlighter
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2008 Ducati 1098R, 2005 Honda RC51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
You're gonna have to excuse Moonlighter...his forte is knitting, washing clothes, servicing Kmac, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
You forgot no handed prostate checks.

Fuggin bastids....

Moonlighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #82
lobsterhound

Bikes: 03 600rr, 02 r1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
I do have another suggestion which you may already have covered. You won't be able to hide or take cover on the open water. You'll want to be able to stop attacks from a distance.

I'm thinking Barrett .50 with incendiary rounds. Set their vessel on fire from 1,800 meters.
I dont have anything with the reach of a barrett but we do have a lot of guns. By most standards it would probably be considered "extreme". I have given a great deal of consideration into being attacked and thats a lot of the reason I would like to stay in the area I fish in.

I can easily see another vessel coming from 100 miles off.(via radar) By that time I can relocated to a more desirable location. Should they pursue I can navigate the boat in some pretty treacherous areas. Places you hit a ledge and sink if your not extremely intimate with the area. Maine has a bold coast (no sand, all rock) so areas of the sort are abundant. I can put the boat in places that only another local fisherman could possibly attempt.

Another strategic advantage to local waters: They are almost ALWAYS rough. Chances are it would be small arms fire if anyone got close enuff to shoot at us. It is extremely difficult shooting accurately when you are being tossed about like your in a dishwasher. Plus you need a pretty substantial boat to take the kind of seas you would experience. Some pirates in a speed boat wouldnt have a chance

Sig pic courtesy of Uncle Petrol "Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." -G. Washington
lobsterhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #83
Creeping Death
Born Again Patriot

Bikes: 2009 YZF-R1, Raven
So educate me...

Incendiary rounds... effective range? what can they set on fire? do they actually set fire by design or are they incendiary for another purpose?

I know hitting a person at 1,800 meters takes a skilled sniper on solid ground but a vessel makes for a much larger target. In smooth seas of course. Fvck it... get a class III FFL and a Ma Duece with tracers.

SIG courtesy of Petrol Spice in care of InkedR1Pilot
Thanks Uncle P!

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli #58 01/20/87 ~ 10/23/11
R.I.P Andre (Twistgrip)
Ride On Brothers...
Creeping Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #84
Fikays
SuperMod Abuser

Bikes: 2000 R1; 1999 R1 trackwhore; Sold: 1999 R1, 2000 Ducati 996, 2007 R6r, 2008 R6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
Fuggin bastids....

Pussy.

SIG courtesy of petrol!

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron CO
Fikays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #85
Creeping Death
Born Again Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterhound View Post
I dont have anything with the reach of a barrett but we do have a lot of guns. By most standards it would probably be considered "extreme". I have given a great deal of consideration into being attacked and thats a lot of the reason I would like to stay in the area I fish in.

I can easily see another vessel coming from 100 miles off.(via radar) By that time I can relocated to a more desirable location. Should they pursue I can navigate the boat in some pretty treacherous areas. Places you hit a ledge and sink if your not extremely intimate with the area. Maine has a bold coast (no sand, all rock) so areas of the sort are abundant. I can put the boat in places that only another local fisherman could possibly attempt.

Another strategic advantage to local waters: They are almost ALWAYS rough. Chances are it would be small arms fire if anyone got close enuff to shoot at us. It is extremely difficult shooting accurately when you are being tossed about like your in a dishwasher. Plus you need a pretty substantial boat to take the kind of seas you would experience. Some pirates in a speed boat wouldnt have a chance
Sounds like you got it under control.

Thanks Uncle P!

R.I.P Andre (Twistgrip)
Ride On Brothers...
Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #86
Moonlighter
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2008 Ducati 1098R, 2005 Honda RC51
Quote:
Pussy.
Hey mon, you were the one crying in another thread about the "ghey stuff getting old."

UberPussy
Moonlighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #87
Fikays
SuperMod Abuser

Bikes: 2000 R1; 1999 R1 trackwhore; Sold: 1999 R1, 2000 Ducati 996, 2007 R6r, 2008 R6s
Quote:
So educate me...

Incendiary rounds... effective range? what can they set on fire? do they actually set fire by design or are they incendiary for another purpose?

I know hitting a person at 1,800 meters takes a skilled sniper on solid ground but a vessel makes for a much larger target. In smooth seas of course. Fvck it... get a class III FFL and a Ma Duece with tracers.
.50 BMG is already an anti-material round...it shouldn't need to be "incendiary". Even a boat at 1800 meters will be tiny, and shooting an M2 isn't a cake walk either.

Baby steps bro, baby steps...

SIG courtesy of petrol!

Old 11-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #88
Fikays
SuperMod Abuser

Quote:
Hey mon, you were the one crying in another thread about the "ghey stuff getting old."

UberPussy
True. But you would never cry about it cause you prefer the man meat and it is natural for you.

SIG courtesy of petrol!

Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #89
lobsterhound

Quote:
.50 BMG is already an anti-material round...it shouldn't need to be "incendiary". Even a boat at 1800 meters will be tiny, and shooting an M2 isn't a cake walk either.

Also even a large boat on calm water would be EXTREMELY difficult to shoot at with any kind of rifle at long distance. Boats at a distance on water almost take on a mirage type of appearance. Appearing larger then they actually are, or appearing closer than they are. Sometimes they even give the appearance they are floating about 2 feet above the water. Its kind of like looking at something a long way off in the desert heat. Determining range would be very difficult. Not to mention there is nothing to use as a landmark to help in gauging it

Sig pic courtesy of Uncle Petrol "Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." -G. Washington
Old 11-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #90
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 08 Raven R1, 97 F3, 94 VMax, 65 CA95, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Quote:
Fuggin bastids....

Nicest thing anyone has said to me all day.

Quote:
So educate me...

Great thing about boats is, they are on water. Bullets will skip and they will hit sooner or later.

Quote:

Brass on a pitching boat deck is death embodied.

Quote:
Also even a large boat on calm water would be EXTREMELY difficult to shoot at with any kind of rifle at long distance. Boats at a distance on water almost take on a mirage type of appearance. Appearing larger then they actually are, or appearing closer than they are. Sometimes they even give the appearance they are floating about 2 feet above the water. Its kind of like looking at something a long way off in the desert heat. Determining range would be very difficult. Not to mention there is nothing to use as a landmark to help in gauging it
Walk fire in with a group. 308 is plenty on most boats.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #91
Creeping Death
Born Again Patriot

Quote:

Maybe I should start playing video games. Then I'll know everything

Thanks Uncle P!

R.I.P Andre (Twistgrip)
Ride On Brothers...
Old 11-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #92
lobsterhound

Quote:
Walk fire in with a group. 308 is plenty on most boats.
I would be returning fire with a 30-06 so not much different then the 308. I could take a massive amount of fire without sinking. The only fear would be someone on board getting hit. In that scenario the women and children would be below deck in the storage tank which is a large room basically with stainless steel sheets for the walls and ceiling. Like I said before shooting would be very very difficult. It is usually difficult to stand let alone shoot when on the North Atlantic in a tidal area

Old 11-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #93
ALTON05R1
Living Life Like a Mad Man

Quote:
here you go E, just get about 3 of these on deck and a person qualified to shoot them (thats me) and your set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deck gun.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	476551  

Sig by the great Uncle P
ALTON05R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #94
lobsterhound

I wouldn't think twice about purchasing one but I doubt they are legal in Maine. I would not mind smuggling one in but wouldnt know where to look

Old 11-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #95
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 08 Raven R1, 97 F3, 94 VMax, 65 CA95, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Quote:
I wouldn't think twice about purchasing one but I doubt they are legal in Maine. I would not mind smuggling one in but wouldnt know where to look
Get your ffl and a bucket of 100's.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #96
Anubis
Wishin' I Was Fishin'

Bikes: '89 R1
I'm happy with my 30-06.

Sig courtesy of Petrol Spice

-Sgt. Fernando Padilla-Ramirez *KIA* March 28, 2003
-Michael James Johnson August 12, 2003 1:18 AM R.I.P.

Keep Calm and Chive On
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #97
fjorn
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?

Bikes: '07 R1 (track only)
There's a lot of variables in this discussion. Some of which is even before thinking about being prepared. Yes, it's prudent to be prepared for even basic inconveniences such as losing power for a few days, losing a home to fire or storm damage.

But, what about the other preparedness? Financial capabilities in case SDHTF? I see so many people getting wrapped up in the <insert trend of the moment> and spending themselves into bankruptcy. True, it's their fault. But, many people are sheeple and get wrapped up in things. Then, they find themselves saddled with tons of debt and worse off then before. You know, kinda like our Gooberment.
    • Gawarrior - June 25, 2008
    • bandrews - October 9, 2011
fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #98
lobsterhound

Quote:
Get your ffl and a bucket of 100's.
Im really hoping people will be too occupied fighting with each other on land to bother worrying about things at sea.

I can always go a thousand miles out and just pass time. That would be out of the fuel range for most small vessels. Someone would have to be VERY determined to go after one boat to pursue

Old 11-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #99
lobsterhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post
There's a lot of variables in this discussion. Some of which is even before thinking about being prepared. Yes, it's prudent to be prepared for even basic inconveniences such as losing power for a few days, losing a home to fire or storm damage.

But, what about the other preparedness? Financial capabilities in case SDHTF? I see so many people getting wrapped up in the <insert trend of the moment> and spending themselves into bankruptcy. True, it's their fault. But, many people are sheeple and get wrapped up in things. Then, they find themselves saddled with tons of debt and worse off then before. You know, kinda like our Gooberment.
I already have all the things I could use for the Apocalypse. Thats why in the other thread I mentioned I that I had put a lot of my investments into precious metals. (not paper gold) actual gold you can touch. I also bet against the dollar and theres not much else I can do. I would invest everything into gold for the intrinsic value but that would be over the top at this point. Not to mention I have a great deal in some IRA's and the risk still isnt as bad as the penalties I would incur for early withdrawl

Old 11-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #100
ALTON05R1
Living Life Like a Mad Man

after Obama was re elected that was one thing I started looking into investing in actually gold, and other precious metals since it looks like the US dollar will go down the toilet in the future.

Sig by the great Uncle P
ALTON05R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement