Saving money for "doomsday" or natural disaster? - Page 6 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

View Poll Results: Do you feel you need to use your money for getting prepared?
Yes 33 67.35%
No 9 18.37%
Not sure 4 8.16%
The country is fine; no worries. 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #101
fjorn
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?

Bikes: '07 R1 (track only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterhound View Post
I already have all the things I could use for the Apocalypse. Thats why in the other thread I mentioned I that I had put a lot of my investments into precious metals. (not paper gold) actual gold you can touch. I also bet against the dollar and theres not much else I can do. I would invest everything into gold for the intrinsic value but that would be over the top at this point. Not to mention I have a great deal in some IRA's and the risk still isnt as bad as the penalties I would incur for early withdrawl
It's good if you have that capability and are capable of being prepared without fiscally killing yourself.

My point was more towards those whom are going crazy on spending without regard to finances and/or really don't have the money or capability to be prepared like many here in the thread are presuming. Kind of two part.
    • Gawarrior - June 25, 2008
    • bandrews - October 9, 2011
fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #102
Moonlighter
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2008 Ducati 1098R, 2005 Honda RC51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
True. But you would never cry about it cause you prefer the man meat and it is natural for you.

Go **** yourself, Frank, and ban me. You **** tards that run this site are ok with anyone that agrees with what you have to say, but let someone disagree and it's time to ban them. Just like last time when you got all pissy because someone posted something that you disagreed with and you banned them. What's the ****ing point of being a member if you can't call someone out when they post crap such as yourself?

Moonlighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #103
lobsterhound

Bikes: 03 600rr, 02 r1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTON05R1 View Post
after Obama was re elected that was one thing I started looking into investing in actually gold, and other precious metals since it looks like the US dollar will go down the toilet in the future.
Yeah. I changed my investments around big time on Wednesday night. However Ive been investing in gold and silver for some time now. I figure even if the price does drop I will keep it as a long term investment much like the land we have purchased and the rentals we own. DO NOT buy paper gold. I defeats the entire purpose of owning it.

Sig pic courtesy of Uncle Petrol "Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." -G. Washington
lobsterhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #104
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 94 VMax, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Quote:
Im really hoping people will be too occupied fighting with each other on land to bother worrying about things at sea.

I can always go a thousand miles out and just pass time. That would be out of the fuel range for most small vessels. Someone would have to be VERY determined to go after one boat to pursue

Quote:
I already have all the things I could use for the Apocalypse. Thats why in the other thread I mentioned I that I had put a lot of my investments into precious metals. (not paper gold) actual gold you can touch. I also bet against the dollar and theres not much else I can do. I would invest everything into gold for the intrinsic value but that would be over the top at this point. Not to mention I have a great deal in some IRA's and the risk still isnt as bad as the penalties I would incur for early withdrawl
You can pull the IRA's if you do it right. You have to start your own investment portfolio and get approval, but it is fairly easy to do. Just takes time.

Quote:
Yeah. I changed my investments around big time on Wednesday night. However Ive been investing in gold and silver for some time now. I figure even if the price does drop I will keep it as a long term investment much like the land we have purchased and the rentals we own. DO NOT buy paper gold. I defeats the entire purpose of owning it.
Paper gold, the fact that people fall for that scam is hilarious. It's like the futures game.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #105
ALTON05R1
Living Life Like a Mad Man

I had a buddy of mine invest in the iraqi dinar, counting on their economy to bounce back after the war. He ended up losing almost 2k, in that scam.

Sig by the great Uncle P
ALTON05R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #106
lobsterhound

Bikes: 03 600rr, 02 r1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post

You can pull the IRA's if you do it right. You have to start your own investment portfolio and get approval, but it is fairly easy to do. Just takes time.

Paper gold, the fact that people fall for that scam is hilarious. It's like the futures game.
Yeah I knew there were some ways around it but hadn't look into it much. I do have my own investment portfolio. Along with the IRA's and some mutual funds, yada yada. Basically a wide spread investment scheme. I put enuff in gold and land now that I figure the IRA's would be a loss I could live. I dont want to loose anything Ive worked for but it will be impossible to not take a hit of some sort if things go bad. I suppose the deeds to land would be worthless as well but I guess I have no choice but go the course.

Sig pic courtesy of Uncle Petrol "Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." -G. Washington
lobsterhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #107
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Quote:
Yeah I knew there were some ways around it but hadn't look into it much. I do have my own investment portfolio. Along with the IRA's and some mutual funds, yada yada. Basically a wide spread investment scheme. I put enuff in gold and land now that I figure the IRA's would be a loss I could live. I dont want to loose anything Ive worked for but it will be impossible to not take a hit of some sort if things go bad. I suppose the deeds to land would be worthless as well but I guess I have no choice but go the course.
You become your own asset manager, you never get the money itself, but anything you purchase as an investment is good to go. Guns are a great investment, especially title 2 firearms.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #108
Petrol_Spice
Seņor Citizen

Bikes: Aprilia RSV4 APRC Factory / KTM RC8(S1)
Guns, Ammo, Jerky, Water and butchery and equipment to make a log cabin. Money wont help if all hell breaks loose not if it's every man for himself, deathmatch style. Have enough .45ACP and 7.62NATO to fill the back of an F350. Shoot anyone that looks at you.

The way I see it. A suppressed .45, a suppressed AR and something bolt action to reach out and kill shit is all you'd need. Why suppressed? If you need the answer you're gon' die so you don't need the answer...

Being an Australian, I have my Hoyt compound bow and that's it. So if shit kicks off I'm getting the fu*k out of the city.

Tact was created by those lacking the mental dexterity for sarcasm. ~ Petrol_Spice

Petrol_Spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #109
BeaverPuncher
Frosty runs are the best

Bikes: Want a new bike
Better watch out for those sneaky drop bears then.

SIG courtesy of the awesome petrol spice
BeaverPuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #110
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol_Spice View Post
Guns, Ammo, Jerky, Water and butchery and equipment to make a log cabin. Money wont help if all hell breaks loose not if it's every man for himself, deathmatch style. Have enough .45ACP and 7.62NATO to fill the back of an F350. Shoot anyone that looks at you.

The way I see it. A suppressed .45, a suppressed AR and something bolt action to reach out and kill shit is all you'd need. Why suppressed? If you need the answer you're gon' die so you don't need the answer...

Being an Australian, I have my Hoyt compound bow and that's it. So if shit kicks off I'm getting the fu*k out of the city.
I gotsa suppressed Glock fo ya foo! Jump the pond and lets go!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #111
Petrol_Spice
Seņor Citizen

Quote:
I gotsa suppressed Glock fo ya foo! Jump the pond and lets go!
I'll bring the beer!

Tact was created by those lacking the mental dexterity for sarcasm. ~ Petrol_Spice

Old 11-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #112
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol_Spice View Post
I'll bring the beer!
Screw that, we can drop some glasses of single malt and get to splittin wigs proper!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #113
Petrol_Spice
Seņor Citizen

Quote:
Screw that, we can drop some glasses of single malt and get to splittin wigs proper!
You Sir, have yourself a plan.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:51 AM   #114
BrnEyzR1
fast toys arent just 4 boys

Bikes: '10 Ducati 1198S Corse / '07 R1--RIP Jack
We are set on guns and ammo, but that's it.

~ Guy Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
It's my fault.

Miss you Pierre
Much love Andre
BrnEyzR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #115
Moonlighter
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2008 Ducati 1098R, 2005 Honda RC51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnEyzR1 View Post
We are set on guns and ammo, but that's it.

Sounds like a good start.

I just hope that you didn't store the ammo where you put your bike key.

Moonlighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #116
fjorn
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?

Bikes: '07 R1 (track only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
I just hope that you didn't store the ammo where you put your bike key.

• Gawarrior - June 25, 2008
    • bandrews - October 9, 2011

Last edited by fjorn; 11-10-2012 at 06:44 AM.
fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #117
2WEELFERRUM04
STFU and ride!!

Bikes: '14 HP4 COMP '04 R1 Track '07 R1
WAAAHAHAHAHA @ the squirrel and Kim of course

guns and ammo are priority
the rest can be had easier

hmmmmm i need more guns

Last edited by 2WEELFERRUM04; 11-10-2012 at 07:50 AM.
2WEELFERRUM04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #118
BeaverPuncher
Frosty runs are the best

Bikes: Want a new bike
This is something most people don't account for fully is clothes. You can make it through the summer months in most of the country fairly easy with light stuff but winter and spring is a different story. Then the most important of those is shoes . A very good pair of comfortable shoes that will last a good bit should be thirdon then list. If your feet are not comfortable then you will not be as productive or efficient.

SIG courtesy of the awesome petrol spice
BeaverPuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #119
Creeping Death
Born Again Patriot

Bikes: 2009 YZF-R1, Raven
Quote:
Great thing about boats is, they are on water. Bullets will skip and they will hit sooner or later.
I never thought about bullets skipping across water, interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post

SIG courtesy of Petrol Spice in care of InkedR1Pilot
Thanks Uncle P!

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli #58 01/20/87 ~ 10/23/11
R.I.P Andre (Twistgrip)
Ride On Brothers...
Creeping Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #120
Petrol_Spice
Seņor Citizen

The way I seer it you either book out into the hills or nick a boat, a big one, and piss off to Australia or Europe if it got really bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement