used motor question : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
r1Totzauer
blue blurrrr go zoom

Bikes: 07 r1
used motor question

there is a shop in town that has a 07 r1 sittin there for 3+ yrs now..guy came in and dropped it off cuz it wouldnt run anymore..after alil work found out it was motor related and guy didnt wanna pay the diangosis money or storage fee for well over a month of sitting.....owner comes and says she doesnt want the bike anymore ..the bike is financed and they came to get the bike but they didnt wanna pay the prorated charges on the bike...so bike sat 2 yrs longer....shop is gonna part out bike and im tryin to figure out the " legalities " of this procedure cuz its a bunch of nice parts for super cheap! ive been wanting the whole bike but now finding out he details of financing im alil weary....he is selling the fairing kit everything but the tank for 300ish minor scratches on 1 or 2 parts, and the motor w 3200 miles here WANTS 500 for....the motor is pretty clean compared to my motor w 60 k on it..lol...the only problem w the motor is something wierd goin on in the head area...motor is still intact but u can only turn by hand alil bit and then it binds up...as ilooked in the valves ports i noticed #4 cylinder was stuck open and all the otheres were closed ..and all exhaust valves looked closed...kida wierd....i intended to buy motor as another learning project..but maybe the motor isnt completely trashed..regaurdless tons of good parts in there...2 cams worth 500 easy..covers..starter...everything....but my question is whats the process of buying a used motor w the financing issue- but was left...and then what could b wrong w the motor? thinking of offering 400ish after solving legalities of this...

Ridin' like tomorrow isnt promised

07 R1:
Blue puig windscreen, Two brothers slip ons, -1 +2 sprockets, Blue stealth rear sprocket, Blue EK chain, CNC cut R1 heel guards, Hot bodies flush mount turn signals, Blue axle blocks, Blue rear hugger, Puig chain guard, Blue R1 rims, R1 Progrips, shogun frame sliders, carbon fiber mirror block offs
r1Totzauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
bmwpowere36m3
My R1 eats me.

Legally, I believe you need to put a mechanic's lien on it for the $ your owed. You can't just part it out and sell it because technically it's not "yours".
bmwpowere36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
r1Totzauer
blue blurrrr go zoom

I would assume he did.... Doesn't make sense not to have done that.... I know nothing bout liens and the protocol on this or I woulda gave him 4-500 for the motor in a heartbeat!...

07 R1:
Blue puig windscreen, Two brothers slip ons, -1 +2 sprockets, Blue stealth rear sprocket, Blue EK chain, CNC cut R1 heel guards, Hot bodies flush mount turn signals, Blue axle blocks, Blue rear hugger, Puig chain guard, Blue R1 rims, R1 Progrips, shogun frame sliders, carbon fiber mirror block offs
Old 11-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
repoman
Tested +; Motorcycle Fever

Bikes: y2k R1, 2006 KTM SMC, 2006 CRF 250x
Assuming all the legalities are figured out, you are looking at buying a used motor with some kind of yet to be diagnosed problem for $500... sounds like a real crap shoot to me. Could be a steal if the only problem is a broken valve spring or something like that, could be a nightmare otherwise. Still, lets say its a nightmare, you would still be able to part out the motor and make your 500 back even if the head is completely shot. I'd go for it.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
Racer Dude
I eat my R1

Bikes: 00 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1Totzauer View Post

the bike is financed and they came to get the bike but they didnt wanna pay the prorated charges on the bike...so bike sat 2 yrs longer....

Sounds like the insurance co. took a loss on the loan.

I'm not a lawyer, but mechanics lien or not, I would think a mechanics lien would mean nothing, since the actual owner (the bank) was not the one whom left it at the shop.

In my mind, the lien is worthless, and the bank is the rightful owner, despite the diagnosis and storage fee's, but it sounds as if the bank no longer has an interest in it.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #6
r1Totzauer
blue blurrrr go zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Dude View Post

Sounds like the insurance co. took a loss on the loan.

I'm not a lawyer, but mechanics lien or not, I would think a mechanics lien would mean nothing, since the actual owner (the bank) was not the one whom left it at the shop.

In my mind, the lien is worthless, and the bank is the rightful owner, despite the diagnosis and storage fee's, but it sounds as if the bank no longer has an interest in it.

Basically that's is where I'm at... I don't know exactly what a mech lien entitles them to do... And it def seems "bank" has no interest after 3.5 yrs.. I want the motor bad! Even if it doesn't run there r tons of good parts.. The cams alone r worth 400... But I don't wanna dig a hole to fall in later..at worse it seems like it would b a repo order on the bike than stolen status if worst came to worst.. But that's y I'm tryin to get to the bottom if this situation...

07 R1:
Old 11-11-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
r1Totzauer
blue blurrrr go zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by repoman View Post
Assuming all the legalities are figured out, you are looking at buying a used motor with some kind of yet to be diagnosed problem for $500... sounds like a real crap shoot to me. Could be a steal if the only problem is a broken valve spring or something like that, could be a nightmare otherwise. Still, lets say its a nightmare, you would still be able to part out the motor and make your 500 back even if the head is completely shot. I'd go for it.
Exactly!! But don't wanna b on the wrong end of a bad deal.. Gotta make sure everything is on the up and up... After I did my own diagnosis I kinda thought it might b broke springs.. Maybe a couple.. Easy fix if it didn't hurt other parts but regardless plenty of room to get my cash back at worst case.. I intended to throw 250 at it as a teardown learning project .. I tgought the whole motor was sieved up at the time... So a extra 150-200 bucks for the same plus a lot of good parts sounds like a steal..

07 R1:
Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 AM   #8
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
I'd buy it and pull in into pieces. Spread it all over your garage. Those dumbass suits and ties have no idea what they are looking for anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:17 AM   #9
r1Totzauer
blue blurrrr go zoom

Lmao.. Feel the sarcasm! ... I don't want nothing to do w a stolen status bike.. I just want some good parts that have been sitting too long! I don't want something to bite me n the butt! If I were a shady kinda guy I'd buy the whole bike and part it out... ATLEAST the motor and worry bout consequences later, but I'm a honest guy and just want to know where this bike stands...
I sure dont need any stupid charges as I already have a felony for some wacky tabacci a few yrs ago.. They would love to stick it in again....

07 R1:
Old 11-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
gofast82
I MUST BREAK YOU

Bikes: 2008 R1, 2001 R1 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1Totzauer View Post
The cams alone r worth 400...
No offense but not in today's market. Realistically, a good complete head goes for about $200 street price. Crank= $200-250, another piece that will bring u good money is the stator, probably around $300-350. U can still make money just dont set your expectations and/or profit margins too high. I been monitoring prices for these parts all over the net for the past couple months for a project build Im doing.
gofast82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:13 AM   #11
capecodr1
My R1 eats me.

a vin search with your local dmv will tell you the lean holder info (if there is) and you can contact the lean holder and tell them you have the bike & there is a bill for work performed and storage. they might just relinquish the title for payment. probably not worth the effort to pay repair/storage, repo, auction, fees ect. if you take parts or buy parts they are stolen in the law's eyes.
capecodr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement