Well I guess it was finally time to upgrade the cage... : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

Old 11-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
thirdgenlxi
They call me a ride whore

Bikes: '04 CBR 600 F4i
Well I guess it was finally time to upgrade the cage...

Been driving my old 1989 Honda Accord for the past 12 years now, it's been an amazingly great car, hands down! But the roadsalt has definitely not been kind, and after 23 years and nearly 434k miles she's really starting to show her age. Still runs great but the body is rusting bad and starting to get lots of little things that will need attention. So I decided it was finally time to find something a little newer and nicer, and a little more practical for what I need now. With 3 dogs, it got a little crazy in the back seat of the Accord, so I needed something with a decent amount of space for them to be comfortable and not stepping all over each other. Also wanted something I could sleep in out of the weather at trackdays and whatnot... seats fold down flat so it's perfect. And also wanted something that could tow a trailer fairly easily, and this has plenty of power for my towing needs. And still gets decent MPG to boot! Still keeping the old Accord as more or less a back up incase something happens with my job or whatever and I've gotta ditch the payment and sell it, I've still got a set of wheels that nobody can take away

I work as a tech at a Ford dealership and noticed this out on our lot... '07 Edge SEL... clean as can be inside and out and obviously well cared for... it's literally spotless other than one small scratch on the top of the rear bumper. Worked a pretty dang good deal with them (pretty much at cost, which was almost $4k below NADA value, and OTD still almost $3k under). Signed my life away today and brought her home.... I think I'll be real happy with it. Only thing I wish was that it was manual trans, but oh well beggars can't be choosers, right?? lol. Does have pretty much everything else but navi though.... not bad. And being a Ford tech I know about whatever issues the different cars might have, and these have next to none (an occasional rear wheel bearing is about it).... very good, reliable cars. As much as I would have liked to stuck with Honda since they've always been so good to me, fact of the matter is for what I was looking for the newer Hondas were just way out of my price range. For what I got here I really couldn't beat it. Runs & drives like brand new!

Snapped a few pics before I left

Plenty of space for critters

Nice and simple.... I don't like overly complicated

Automatic A/C and heated seats

Not sure I'll ever use memory seats but oh well, lol

Steering wheel controls are nice

Has the big Vista roof too which I really like

Lowest mileage car I've had in a looooong time, lol

3.5L V6 (the same one they're using in evvvverything now, including the EcoBoost)... plenty for what I need it for, and still gets decent mileage

Sorry for so many pics, just excited to finally actually have something nice, lol. I think I'll be quite happy with it... already a few small mods planned! haha (getting rid of all the chrome... front grille and foglight bezels will be painted to match for a monochrome look, some interior LED's and change the instrument cluster color with some brighter LED's, smoked headlights and maybe taillights from the '09-10 sport models, factory navi, etc..... all in due time though, just future plans)

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 276,600 miles and still kicking
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 437,600 miles still running strong

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
thirdgenlxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
fjorn
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?

Bikes: '07 R1 (track only)
Congrats

I was looking at those. But, a bit out of my price range for the time being. Are they just FWD, or is there an AWD option?
    • Gawarrior - June 25, 2008
    • bandrews - October 9, 2011
fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
DouglasyzfR1
Sir Douglas

Bikes: 03 R6- Bike Heaven 03 R1- Sold 08 R1- Current
That is some serious miles on that old Honda. Congrats on the upgrade, hope you enjoy it for a long time.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
thirdgenlxi
They call me a ride whore

Bikes: '04 CBR 600 F4i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post
Congrats

I was looking at those. But, a bit out of my price range for the time being. Are they just FWD, or is there an AWD option?
This one is FWD, but lots of them are AWD too. I believe it's still the same system as was in the Freestyles which came straight from Volvo and the X90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasyzfR1 View Post
That is some serious miles on that old Honda. Congrats on the upgrade, hope you enjoy it for a long time.
Thanks! Yea the ol' Hondas been around for sure.... used to be my moms car, had 256k on it when I got it in 2000. Never missed a beat though! Hopefully this one lasts a good long while though... we shall see!

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 276,600 miles and still kicking
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 437,600 miles still running strong

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
thirdgenlxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #5
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Nice, clean as hell

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
hawaiian808
and there i was...

welcome to the dark side! and congratz
hawaiian808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
steevo025
Call me Steve Deadload...

Bikes: 1999 blue R1- stolen, 2008 blue R1- Sold, 2010 blue R1
Good looking ride. The new sport models are sick. Was there a tow package on there or do you have to install it?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
smalltrack
big tracks scare me

Bikes: 07 R6, 09 R1
Congrats on the new ride. Curious to see if it will be as problem free as the Honda was.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
Blue Streak
I've fallen and I can't get up

Bikes: 2000 Yamaha R1
The Ford Dealership you work at is probably happy that you are not driving a Honda into work everyday!
Blue Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
tapcon
VIP MOD

Bikes: In search of a new track weapon
Nice man. Just bought a '13 Ford Fusion. Ford's been putting out some nice stuff lately!

Signature Compliments of Petrol

TPM:RED
Lucky 13th Squadron
tapcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
SmoothyNoButt
Don't hit me please

Bikes: 2009 White/Red R1
(probably not what you would wanna hear) My mother just got a edge. it's a good lookin car for sure. her dash is a little more fancier then yours, but you have real wheels. my mothers are stupid wheel covers. I didn't notice till she had me wash it one day.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
rorytsm
damn turkeys

Bikes: 04 R1
nice ride jared. it should serve your purposes very well. i've been tossing around which kind of vehicle to get to replace my sedan for about 2 years now. at first i was leaning towards a smaller suv type thing, kind of like you did, but am now leaning more towards a diesel sedan. supposedly subaru is doing something in the diesel market in the near future so i'm going to wait and see what that is before making any kind of final decision.
rorytsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #13
Ponykiller
Mustang Hater!

Bikes: '05 R1
Hopefully it provides you with as many worry-free miles as the Accord.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
tbsimmons
I eat my R1

Bikes: 11 R1, 06 R6
My sister and mom both have one, cant remember the years but I think my sisters is an 09 and my moms is an 11. My sisters has a lot of miles on it. The only thing that has broke on it was a coil pack went bad. Other than that just oil change, gas and drive. I drove my moms on a trip and liked it. Pretty comfy ride for long distances and descent power for what they are. Plus the Sync is great.
tbsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement