HOW TO: Do It Yourself Lightweight Battery - Page 49 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

How To's Please post your detailed How To's threads in here. They'll be of big help to owners of the R1.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #961
sss r1
NeeD 4 SpeeD
 
sss r1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes: 99 blue
Location: israel
Posts: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by im2fast2furious View Post
SSS R1 do you think that your battery would suit a yec rotor better because it charges faster?
i dont think the yec rotor charges faster . its smaller race rotor .
anyways , faster charging can degrade the battery (if you'll ever be able to reach 20A charging rates).
__________________
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh199/lostcomrad/sigpic33288_1.jpg
sss r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #962
im2fast2furious
Chain Breaker
 
im2fast2furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: 08R1 SBK 07 + 03R1 SUPERSTOCK
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss r1 View Post
i dont think the yec rotor charges faster . its smaller race rotor .
anyways , faster charging can degrade the battery (if you'll ever be able to reach 20A charging rates).
No sorry you misunderdtood what I meant. I meant that the battery charges faster not the rotor.
A std. battery takes hours to charge the lipo one only takes 20 minutes or so. So does this help with running a yec rotor do you think?
__________________
Mods: sticky tires, octane booster, visor tare offs and a furry dice key ring.
im2fast2furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #963
flashgordon69
I eat my R1
 
flashgordon69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Bikes: r1 01
Location: essex
Posts: 991
Hi guys, Ive got a kit generator



The main thing you will have to get used to if it's anything like mine is the fact that it only generates power after 3000 rpm

I run 1 headlight to cut the load but if you are using HIDs it should help

If you fanny about cruising then it's not for you

I am also using a lithium battery
__________________
http://s672.photobucket.com/albums/vv83/flashgordon69a/
http://s672.photobucket.com/albums/v...anium%20stand/

20% StreetSleeper
24% CarbonFibre
19% Titanium
37% Medical Condition
flashgordon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #964
sss r1
NeeD 4 SpeeD
 
sss r1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes: 99 blue
Location: israel
Posts: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by im2fast2furious View Post
No sorry you misunderdtood what I meant. I meant that the battery charges faster not the rotor.
A std. battery takes hours to charge the lipo one only takes 20 minutes or so. So does this help with running a yec rotor do you think?
no .
the only advantage of the yec rotor is lighter weight . it cant charge the battery faster then std rotor , as it is lower spec .
yec rotor has many disadvantages , as flash mentioned ...
__________________
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh199/lostcomrad/sigpic33288_1.jpg
sss r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #965
Edwardwaite
Love my R1...
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Bikes: R1 2004 white/blue
Location: La Losa, SPAIN
Posts: 115
SSS R1 nice write up mate thinking of doinf the same as you have done.
Sorry if this has been asked already Ive looked thought the pages and couldnt find anything.

Does the battery as you have it charge with the bike running like the OEM one would? or do you have to disconect the alternator from the battery and charge from a special charger when in the garage or something?? anything like that?
__________________
Thanks
Ed
Edwardwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #966
sss r1
NeeD 4 SpeeD
 
sss r1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes: 99 blue
Location: israel
Posts: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardwaite View Post
SSS R1 nice write up mate thinking of doinf the same as you have done.
Sorry if this has been asked already Ive looked thought the pages and couldnt find anything.

Does the battery as you have it charge with the bike running like the OEM one would? or do you have to disconect the alternator from the battery and charge from a special charger when in the garage or something?? anything like that?
yes , it charges with bike running ,as regular battery on your bike .
__________________
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh199/lostcomrad/sigpic33288_1.jpg
sss r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #967
AutoLuxury
Woah! I was like a Ninja.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 71
Here is a battery i have been looking at!

Could this work:

Amazon Amazon
AutoLuxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #968
sss r1
NeeD 4 SpeeD
 
sss r1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes: 99 blue
Location: israel
Posts: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoLuxury View Post
Here is a battery i have been looking at!

Could this work:

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Cylind...00+mah+battery

no.
__________________
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh199/lostcomrad/sigpic33288_1.jpg
sss r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #969
Edwardwaite
Love my R1...
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Bikes: R1 2004 white/blue
Location: La Losa, SPAIN
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss r1 View Post
yes , it charges with bike running ,as regular battery on your bike .
Thanks for the Reply man, one last thing i should have mentioned, what about using a battery conditioner on it like you would on the OEM batteries? i take it thats a NO NO! and do you disconnect the battery in winter when its not in use?
__________________
Thanks
Ed
Edwardwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #970
sss r1
NeeD 4 SpeeD
 
sss r1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes: 99 blue
Location: israel
Posts: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardwaite View Post
Thanks for the Reply man, one last thing i should have mentioned, what about using a battery conditioner on it like you would on the OEM batteries? i take it thats a NO NO! and do you disconnect the battery in winter when its not in use?
dont use any battery conditioner , or any charger that is set for long term battery charging options .

if you want to store the battery , its best to store it with 50-60% capacity .
dont store it fully charged , or fully discharged . both will effect long tern battery performance . keeping the battery fully discharged will degrade it the most .

its pretty hard to determine battery charge state , i would say once the battery voltage is aprox 12-12.5V , its discharged enough for storage

my battery worked for 3 years , doring this time i fully discharged it a couple of times , didnt ride the bike for few months leaving the battery as is ,jump started bike couple of times etc , and it worked fine till last winter (then i got new cells) .
the cells are not that expensive (but hard to get this days) so i dont do any special battery maintenance .
__________________
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh199/lostcomrad/sigpic33288_1.jpg
sss r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #971
shiftn3rdon1
1up5down
 
shiftn3rdon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Bikes: 06 R1, 04 600rr(whore)
Location: WISCONSIN
Posts: 131
Is this set up as 4s2p with a 5 plug balance cord?
__________________
Waylon killing the lead & Moon romping the steel
shiftn3rdon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #972
shiftn3rdon1
1up5down
 
shiftn3rdon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Bikes: 06 R1, 04 600rr(whore)
Location: WISCONSIN
Posts: 131
A123 systems went bankrupt. Now they are called B234. How long before we start seeing products again??
__________________
Waylon killing the lead & Moon romping the steel
shiftn3rdon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:13 AM   #973
R1 Welman
R1 all the way
 
R1 Welman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Bikes: 2011 R1
Posts: 6
Thank you very much for this thread. I have been looking to buy a li-ion batery for my precious as the lead acid battery ,which is in the bike now, is on its way out. I found these batteries today would they work? I am not that clued up when it comes to electronics, posting and spelling.... It is alot like a normal AA battery just larger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130711-00011.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	494728  
__________________
R1 Welman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:41 AM   #974
sss r1
NeeD 4 SpeeD
 
sss r1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes: 99 blue
Location: israel
Posts: 5,350
no , dont use li-ion , they might explode!
a123 are li-fe .li-ion cant be used on regular charging system .

if you trying to get a123 batteries , buy them from hobbyking :

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...l_Battery.html

those named "olevin power" , as a123 no longer exists , but they work the same .
i ordered 8 of those , and they work great so far , and very cheap!
__________________
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh199/lostcomrad/sigpic33288_1.jpg
sss r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #975
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Location: Capo Beach, Ca
Posts: 8,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss r1 View Post
no , dont use li-ion , they might explode!
a123 are li-fe .li-ion cant be used on regular charging system .

if you trying to get a123 batteries , buy them from hobbyking :

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...l_Battery.html

those named "olevin power" , as a123 no longer exists , but they work the same .
i ordered 8 of those , and they work great so far , and very cheap!
But it says it's "li-ion" on the link you posted. Are they mistaken?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #976
sss r1
NeeD 4 SpeeD
 
sss r1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes: 99 blue
Location: israel
Posts: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
But it says it's "li-ion" on the link you posted. Are they mistaken?
funny , just noticed that .
if you check , the battery is under "LiFePo4" category , probably some kind of mistake , but i'll contact them to be sure .

edit:
hobbyking replied , saying those are lifep04 batteries , not regular lithium ion . they told me they'll fix the listing , i dont know how long that will take though , if at all .
__________________
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh199/lostcomrad/sigpic33288_1.jpg

Last edited by sss r1; 07-16-2013 at 11:48 AM.
sss r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #977
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Location: Capo Beach, Ca
Posts: 8,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss r1 View Post
funny , just noticed that .
if you check , the battery is under "LiFePo4" category , probably some kind of mistake , but i'll contact them to be sure .

edit:
hobbyking replied , saying those are lifep04 batteries , not regular lithium ion . they told me they'll fix the listing , i dont know how long that will take though , if at all .
Thanks for clearing that up!
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #978
R1 Welman
R1 all the way
 
R1 Welman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Bikes: 2011 R1
Posts: 6
Thank you very much.
before reading your reply I had tried the battery in the bike. It fortunatly did not have a high enough discharge rate to start the bike. I will try hobby king. Thank you very much sss r1
__________________
R1 Welman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #979
Dutchie
My R1 eats me.
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3
How do you guys charge the battery's

I love this build. Anyone got the balancer figuerd out ?

I want to build a set to. I live in the netherlands and i have to order it online

Greetings,
Dutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:01 AM   #980
Kangaroo
para bellum
 
Kangaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 35,514
I unplug the battery after every ride, my set is still running.
__________________


Sig courtesy of SpidermanSS 9-15-09

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Kangaroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Lightweight Truck Skanky Off Topic Talk 11 07-26-2007 09:51 AM
Lightweight Rims??? spongeboob0 Appearance & Mods 40 12-20-2006 06:09 PM
Lightweight Jacket recommendations njriderac General Motorcycle Discussions 9 05-16-2005 11:44 AM
Lightweight Batteries? yzfgsx General Motorcycle Discussions 0 11-28-2004 09:17 AM
04 R1 lightweight battery options? 08r General Motorcycle Discussions 0 05-02-2004 04:31 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:17 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum
R1-Forum.com is an independent Yamaha enthusiast website. Content on R1-Forum.com is generated by its users and R1-Forum.com is not in any way affiliated with Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.