Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Track Bike Help!

2K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  diazarusmc 
#1 ·
Ok guys, as some may remember I got hit by a car last year on my 05. Kept the bike for track use and picked up another as a street bike w insurance money. Anyway, it's been sitting in the garage since then and I've been working on it bit by bit. Well I finally got around to putting a new 520 kit on it today so I wanted to make sure everything was turning well. I fired it up and tried to put it in first and it shut off. The kick stand switch has been removed alone w a bunch of other wiring. When the bike is off and the clutch is pulled in, the back wheel will turn if I really try to make it. It gets easier with each gear change. Could the clutch be locked up from sitting for too long? How do I fix this issue? The bike did fall on its right side taking a chip out of the clutch cover where the cable attaches but everything seems to function as it should. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Your clutch is probably fine. I am guessing you have your bike on its rear stand and are trying to spin it i 1st gear by hand with clutch in? It probably feels like the clutch is not even pulled in and your bike is still in gear? thats normal IMO

I am guessing the bike shut off when you kicked it into gear because of an electronics issue. Are you sure you have wired it properly w/o kickstand?

#3 ·
What else do I need to do as far as wiring with the kickstand. I was under the impression that simply unplugging the kickstand switch would be ok.

#5 ·
The switch completes the circuit when stand is up, you will need to put a jumper wire in connecting the harness plug ends. Or directly attach both wires together(solder) by removing plug end and connectig the two wires. Haven't done this to an R1 ,but most likely it is your problem,easiest test is put in gear with clutch in and try to start,if starter doesn't engage the kick stand switch (lack of) is the problem. Or just try a jumper wire to fully nail down the problem quickly and easily.

#10 ·
Thats how they are,not a problem at all. One small wire and you'll know for sure,just use any wire to test it,doesn't have to be permanent to test it quick. A paperclip would even work to test. Go do it.

#9 ·
Is that with hot fluid or cold? Maybe it's the clutch adjustment the other way.

Also check to see if the small cover that protects the shift cable to make sure it's allowing full travel, and pressure plate removal. Maybe it won't let you disengage the clutch all the way

#11 ·
That small cover is actually not there anymore. I'll check the tech manual for intructions on cable adjustment at the cover. The weird thing is that the bike rolled fine in gear with the clutch pulled in before I went on deployment in February.

#14 ·
That small cover is actually not there anymore. I'll check the tech manual for intructions on cable adjustment at the cover. The weird thing is that the bike rolled fine in gear with the clutch pulled in before I went on deployment in February.
Like I asked before ... are you trying to roll it by pushing the bike with clutch in of by trying to hand roll it with bike on stand. If you cant push the bike with the clutch pulled in I would say that is odd unless you are very weak :dunno . It still will be stiffer feeling than in neutral either way.

As for wiring - do you no longer have parts of your harness? If stuff has been pulled off vs. disconnected I would recommend following a wiring schematic. If all is there - as already mentioned - just simulate the connection as if kickstand were always up...

#13 ·
Plates do get "glued" together from the oil when sitting, I would put in gear before starting, to avoid the "bang" when putting into gear from the clutch not being completely disengaged.

#15 ·
Ok. So I jumped the kick stand switch wires and that did the trick to keep the bike running. Now with the clutch pulled in that back wheel gets spinning and only the rear brake will stop it. I'm gonna have to check the cable adjustment at the clutch cover. Next question-radiator fans. Keep them off or put them on?

#16 ·
The back wheel will spin if the bike is cold. Cold oil allows enough friction to get the wheel moving. If you can't stop it with your hand and the bike is up to temperature, than its an issue. It shouldn't spin fast, but you should be able to easily stop it with your hand

#18 ·
I left it running for a while and then tried it again and I couldn't stop the wheel with my foot. It stopped w the brake and when the brake was released it wouldn't start spinning again. Any idea why I can't start it in gear w the clutch pulled in and the kickstand switch wired to itself?

#20 ·
how fast is it spinning? Take the bike of the stand and if it runs away on you in neutral than you have a problem :)

I am guessing your clutch might not be fully engaging and maybe that is why you cannot stary it in gear with the clutch pulled in... hard to tell though since you have palyed with the wiring too.

Can you clutch in with the bike running and change gears nornmallY?

#21 ·
Ok I feel like a dumbass. I just remembered that I disconnected the wires that go to the clutch switch. Would you guys suggest going through the trouble to pull those two wires from the harness and connect them as they were just for the function of that clutch switch. Sorry if these are stupid questions but I've never set up a bike for track only use so I got a little happy with the wire removal when I started this last year :lol.

#23 ·
Thanks for helping me figure out the kick stand switch everybody. What so you guys recommend as far as the radiator fans? Should I put those back on? Also, do I need to reconnect the clutch switch?

#24 ·
Want to know what I would do honest to baby jesus?

Get on my bike and hammer the **** out of it for about 5-10 minutes shifting thru every gear and getting everything free, then see if the clutch loosened up from being used, oil when left for a long time can get very very very very tacky and I could easily see the clutch being gummed up and needing to be ridden and having a oil change after, if you put a carbon clutch on it it will drag because the springs are new, and I mean barely stop with your hands fast in fist 5 k later it was perfect.

#26 ·
Yeah I remembered that I disconnected it when I was removing the turn signal and horn control. My question is, do I really need to have that clutch switch connected? Also, should I put the rad fans back on?

#28 ·
Ok. So back on with the fans. Someone mentioned I wouldn't need them on there. Can't remember who it was. Anyway, what about the clutch switch wires? Is it necessary to reconnect that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.