Wheelie - Page 2 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Stunters Corner For all the R1 stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it.. those that do not like stunting, please stay away

Old 11-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
SPanega SS
The "Wog" and only

Bikes: Less than I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
520 kit has nothing to do with wheelies, acceleration, top speed, etc. It is simply the width of chain. Even the pitch is the same from 530-520.

I think what you are suggesting is he drop a tooth in front and/or add some in the rear which will change the gear ratio which WILL impact acceleration (increase) and top speed (decrease) allowing for easier wheelies.
This.

Sig courtesy of my brotha from down unda PetrolSpice
SPanega SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
NoxImus
Tin Foil Hat

Bikes: 2012 R1 Raven
Yeah, I to like my bike to much to want to do them. Yeah when I hit it around 7 or 8k the front end will come up... but it's not much more than a foot or so. Just be careful man... you have lots of things to look forward to in life... I really don't think a trip to the ER is one of them, right? Also, if you're not careful in setting them down, you'll tear up your forks and fork seals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak9205 View Post
It's like kankles for your head!!

Your local HPT and EFI live tuner.
NoxImus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #23
Slvr04r1
Rubber side down

Bikes: 2009 r6 2010 r6 2007 R6 2004 R1 2010 R1 Ben spies 2006 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm3fly View Post
Guys, I need some help. I've alway had a bike eversince high school. I'm now in my 40's and currently ride a 2008 R1 Raven. One thing I never had the courage to do is a wheelie. I've watched many videos on youtube on how to do a wheelie but, when I try to do on my own, it doesn't work out. Any helpful hints or ideas. No unnecessary bashing please.
its easy 2nd @ 70 mph clutch it and up she goes then just modulate the throttle
Old 11-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #24
Slvr04r1
Rubber side down

but be careful its really not worth it
Old 11-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #25
Slvr04r1
Rubber side down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThundeR1cat View Post
Im pretty close to your age and have 3 kids. My stand ups usually last about a mile and im not sure about sittting down wheelies never counted but atleast more than 10 seconds. Dont listen to the young guys theyre still trying to find their thingy or playing with it to make sure it works when the moment CUMS LMFAO. u can do it safely with some patience and some balls . a 520 kit conversion helps also. lose a little top end speed with it but how often do you go 190 mph? lol

start small 2nd gear mid rpms close the throttle and crack it open halfway and at the same time lean you chest back, cover the back brake (very important) if it jumps too high use the rear brake if its too low give more power. if it doesnt come up at all your not giving enough throttle and not leaning back enough. clutching up is really easy but remember to cover the back brakes. go find a desserted street and go with someone while you practice so they can pick your arse up if you wipe out. good luck start small and youll be fine.
PERFECT !!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #26
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
Wheelies are the norm when riding hard on back roads with dips and hills, I purposely wheelie off of dips and rises because its fun. They usually just happen, and after a while they become a common occurence. '04 and up R1's are the easiest to wheelie safely, '98-'03 have almost too much mid,making throttle control critical. First gear is the safest if you must try, roll into throttle quickly at about 40-45 . Don't ride along at a steady 40-45 in 1st, just start rolling into it at 40-45, after excelerating normally up to 45. Eventually you will find the sweet spot of throttle opening, and speed required for a smooth lift of the front wheel without much drama. Shifting while wheelying is about the most fun thing I can think of, I don't do it in traffic or the highway, or ever standup. Just normal sit down 100-130 (3rd gear) ones are a blast, and relatively easy with the R1's power and solid chassis.
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
quick kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #27
NoxImus
Tin Foil Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick kurt View Post
Wheelies are the norm when riding hard on back roads with dips and hills, I purposely wheelie off of dips and rises because its fun. They usually just happen, and after a while they become a common occurence. '04 and up R1's are the easiest to wheelie safely, '98-'03 have almost too much mid,making throttle control critical. First gear is the safest if you must try, roll into throttle quickly at about 40-45 . Don't ride along at a steady 40-45 in 1st, just start rolling into it at 40-45, after excelerating normally up to 45. Eventually you will find the sweet spot of throttle opening, and speed required for a smooth lift of the front wheel without much drama. Shifting while wheelying is about the most fun thing I can think of, I don't do it in traffic or the highway, or ever standup. Just normal sit down 100-130 (3rd gear) ones are a blast, and relatively easy with the R1's power and solid chassis.
Just reading this made me want to update my will, no thanks to all of that.

Quote:

Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #28
Unlucky
I eat my R1

Bikes: Red 07 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxImus View Post
Just reading this made me want to update my will, no thanks to all of that.
Unrelated - but noticed you use EFI Live. I got a new laptop and thing won't read or flash my truck now. And have you ever tuned a Duramax?
Unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #29
NoxImus
Tin Foil Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky View Post
Unrelated - but noticed you use EFI Live. I got a new laptop and thing won't read or flash my truck now. And have you ever tuned a Duramax?
What version of windows are you running? So it seems like the computer isnt recognizing the cable? I've done 3 different Duramaxs, all have been pretty close to being the same. I did have some fueling issues on one of them, but it was worked out in about 2 hours.

Quote:

Old 11-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #30
Unlucky
I eat my R1

Switched from xp to 7
Old 11-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #31
NoxImus
Tin Foil Hat

Have you tried running in compatibility mode?

Quote:

Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #32
Unlucky
I eat my R1

Umm.. Ya lost me.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #33
NoxImus
Tin Foil Hat

Check this out man, this tell ya in pretty good detail.

Quote:

Old 12-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #34
ENEICE
I eat my R1

Bikes: 07 R1
http://stuntride.com/vbstunt/showthread.php?t=14640

This is how you learn to wheelie. The man is 53 and I believe he started was around 51 or 52.

I used to pow pow all over the place for 5 years until I bought my self a nice F4i and learned to use the foot brake. Now I wheelie my 07 at any speed and any distance I like, if I want to do a wheelie at 30mph I'll do it, if I want to do one at 60mph on the highway I'll do that too. Nothing beats the feeling of having control of your bike on one wheel.

Get a stunter and go to a parking lot. Hope Stunt Dabba gives you some motivation. Ride safe.

-E

Last edited by ENEICE; 12-03-2012 at 06:21 PM.
ENEICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #35
cm3fly
ZEROTOHUNDRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENEICE View Post
http://stuntride.com/vbstunt/showthread.php?t=14640

This is how you learn to wheelie. The man is 53 and I believe he started was around 51 or 52.

I used to pow pow all over the place for 5 years until I bought my self a nice F4i and learned to use the foot brake. Now I wheelie my 07 at any speed and any distance I like, if I want to do a wheelie at 30mph I'll do it, if I want to do one at 60mph on the highway I'll do that too. Nothing beats the feeling of having control of your bike on one wheel.

Get a stunter and go to a parking lot. Hope Stunt Dabba gives you some motivation. Ride safe.

-E
That's what I'm talking about ENEICE. Like I said, I've been riding for a while and wheelies was something I never had the courage to do. I love track days and canyon runs and I would love to be able to do what you do. I find myself reving the hell out of my bike and not doing anything aside from picking up the front wheels a couple of inches. Take care.
cm3fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #36
ENEICE
I eat my R1

Bikes: 07 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm3fly View Post
That's what I'm talking about ENEICE. Like I said, I've been riding for a while and wheelies was something I never had the courage to do. I love track days and canyon runs and I would love to be able to do what you do. I find myself reving the hell out of my bike and not doing anything aside from picking up the front wheels a couple of inches. Take care.
Alot of people learn that way but I suggest dropping by stuntride sometime. I also have a friend who is 38 now and hes been doing it for 2 years now and hes doing great. I'm not saying you have to convert to a full blown stunt rider who does circle wheelies but learning how to use the foot brake to slow you down opens up alot of doors and the best way to do so is get a stunt bike and find a nice parking lot. However its addicitng the better you get the more you want to learn.

-E
ENEICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #37
Witt
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I <3 wheelies
Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement