Upgrade to 2012 R1 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
aalmutawakil
Ride 2gether die 2gether....
 
aalmutawakil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes: 06 Raven R1
Location: Northern VA, Tysons Corner
Posts: 63
Talking Upgrade to 2012 R1

So would you sell your 04-06 R1 and get the new one? why or why not?
__________________
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.



Ali Ahmed Almutawakil
aalmutawakil@yahoo.com
4847444222
01 R1
aalmutawakil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
etays69
I eat my R1
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes: 2011 Yamaha YZF-R1
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalmutawakil View Post
So would you sell your 04-06 R1 and get the new one? why or why not?
Yes.

Flash-tune and cross plane. Sound and performance....
__________________
2011 R1 Skull Red/Black Edition

Yoshi R77 CF Slip-Ons with M4 Y Pipe
Flash-Tune Interface with FT Quickshifter
PCV with Autotune
K+N Air Filter
Driven Smog Block-Offs
Motodynamics Tail Light
Speigler Brake Lines
Joe-Florida LED Lights
Saddleman Tech Seat
Scorpio i-900 Alarm
Driven D3 Grips
Zero Gravity Corsa Smoke Windscreen
Competition Werkes GP Pegs
Evotech Oil Cap
Driven Front 16T Sprocket (-1)
HID 6000K 55W
Magic Blinker
Proton Flushmounts
etays69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
ss55539
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes: '11 FLHX, 09 YFZ450R, 07 YZ450F, 06 R1 50th
Location: in the dirt
Posts: 12,637
Ideally its best to have both as they're completely different bikes
ss55539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
OptimoPrime
I eat my R1
 
OptimoPrime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes: 2013 s1000rr
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,099
you tryin to start a war???

seriously though the 04-06 guys are fanatical about their rides, most would never look at anything else regardless of performance or sound
__________________
1983 yamaha xj550 (SOLD)
1995 kawasaki gpz1100 (engine fail)
2006 suzuki gsxr600 (sold)
1981 yamaha xs450 (sold)
2003 honda superhawk 996 (Sold)
2001 suzuki TL1000r (sold)
2009 yamaha r1 (33k engine overheats SOLD)
2013 bmw s1000rr
OptimoPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Luvmy02R1
Need to change user name;)
 
Luvmy02R1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Bikes: blu 02 R1SOLD...lovin my 2012
Location: Northern Cali
Posts: 624
2012..end of discussion!
Luvmy02R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
IMSTuner
I eat my R1
 
IMSTuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Bikes: 2008 R1
Location: MASS
Posts: 1,619
07 tru 08 FTW
__________________


2008 R1 Black - Gold AVS C5 Levers, Puig DB Wind Screen, EvoTech Sliders Kit, T-Rex Clutch slider, Stomp Tank Pads, LeoVince Ti Factory Evo II CF end caps, Arko Y-Pipe, EvoTech Fender Elim., Proton Signals, PZRacing GearTronic Zero , Q2 tires, Flash-Tune Interface,Brembo RCS Ohlins FRT fork and TTX shock
My Build Thread http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336353


YouTube Page http://www.youtube.com/user/imstuner?feature=mhee
IMSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
R1PilotDC
prefers forking over spooning
 
R1PilotDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes: 2010 R1, 2011 GSX-R 750 and 2005 R1
Location: WDC
Posts: 623
I have an '05. Bought a '10 last year. TOTALLY different bike and it took a bit of time to get comfortable on the new ride. Very sensitive throttle, abrupt engine braking, feels heavier (because it's a pig)...the older gen is easier to ride.

I bought the Flash Tune interface and made a few changes. My '10 is a blast to ride at high RPM/speeds but not too fun in lower gears putting around town.

I suppose it depends on how you're planning to use the bike. I wouldn't recommend it as a commuter.
R1PilotDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:28 AM   #8
iGoldeneye
WERA? \_(ツ)_/ #21
 
iGoldeneye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Bikes: 2012 Yamaha R1 Raven - '04 GSXR600 (track) - 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary (sold)
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 2,255
I did just that... Parted with the 06 for a '12... I love them both It's just a matter of preference
__________________

Thanks Uncle P!

WERA #21

View my MOD ADDICTED 2012 R1 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post

Being a biker is not a welfare sport.
iGoldeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:06 AM   #9
OptimoPrime
I eat my R1
 
OptimoPrime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes: 2013 s1000rr
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,099
im only guy in town with a new r1 and even though friends have older models i have never ridden any other modern liter bike other then mine.
__________________
1983 yamaha xj550 (SOLD)
1995 kawasaki gpz1100 (engine fail)
2006 suzuki gsxr600 (sold)
1981 yamaha xs450 (sold)
2003 honda superhawk 996 (Sold)
2001 suzuki TL1000r (sold)
2009 yamaha r1 (33k engine overheats SOLD)
2013 bmw s1000rr
OptimoPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #10
greenc51
I eat my Night Rod
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Bikes: 05 Ninja 500 SOLD - 04 CBRF4i SOLD - 07 R6 SOLD - 04 Vulcan 800 bobber SOLD - 06 R1 SOLD - 2009 Night Rod Special =)
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 538
kinda curious why this thread is in appearance and mods section
greenc51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:35 AM   #11
tnole23
go go juice gonna make me win
 
tnole23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes: 2008 R1 Raven
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 1,004
what are your pros/cons for upgrading?

the 04-06 is my 2nd favorite looking r1, so if looks is important i wouldn't upgrade. i tend to be a sucker for new tech, so in that sense i would. i think the sound is cool, but i doubt the bike is gonna make u any faster. really comes down to personal preference and the bills in your pocket. i'd personally, wait for next iteration. should be a refresh coming up soon.
__________________
FlashTune w/dyno fuel map|RaceTech Suspension|Termignoni CF Slipons|Attack Performance Rearsets|Brembo 19 RCS MC|Renthal Clipons|Dano QS|Akrapovic Y-Pipe|520 (-1/+1)|Hyperpro Damper|BlasterX|MRA Racing DB|Gilles Chain Adjuster| MotionPro Throttle|BMC Air Filter|Graves Smog Plates|GYTR Comfort Seat|Targa Solo Cowl|Tec-Spec Traction Pads|Pazzo Shorties|GB Racing Covers|Spiegler SS Brake Lines|HIDs|Flushmounts|Gear Indicator|Sharkskinz Track Bodywork
tnole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #12
aalmutawakil
Ride 2gether die 2gether....
 
aalmutawakil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes: 06 Raven R1
Location: Northern VA, Tysons Corner
Posts: 63
How much are they weighing at?


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
__________________
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.



Ali Ahmed Almutawakil
aalmutawakil@yahoo.com
4847444222
01 R1
aalmutawakil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #13
cyclepsycho7
R1, "A Superior Addiction"
 
cyclepsycho7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes: 06 R1
Location: NY
Posts: 10,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimoPrime View Post
you tryin to start a war???

seriously though the 04-06 guys are fanatical about their rides, most would never look at anything else regardless of performance or sound
I'd say your 100% or 99.9% on the money with that statement. I'd never sell my 06 but wouldn't mind getting a newer gen to join my 06 when the finances allow me too!!! What I'd really like to do is make a very radical fighter style new gen R1. When the time is right I'd most likely look for a nice deal on a used 09+ to keep the cost down a bit. I hate removing perfectly good parts but if the price is right it wouldn't bother me as much.
__________________
Lucky 13 Squadron

cyclepsycho7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:34 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum
R1-Forum.com is an independent Yamaha enthusiast website. Content on R1-Forum.com is generated by its users and R1-Forum.com is not in any way affiliated with Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.