Knee Dragging 101 - Page 19 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Technique & Riding Want to kneescrape? Go faster in corners? Smoother riding? Anything about how to ride goes in here please.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #361
concept27
Leave the gun,take the cannoli

Bikes: 2009 R1 | 2011 BMW K1300 | YZ 450 F | CRF70
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoC-BlocER1 View Post
That top pic your BP looks good IMO. Stick your leg out and I think it's down. Look at your left elbow in the top picture on how it is semi extended over the tank. Your head is down. On the others you look a little more stuck on the bike. Keep it up man! Looking good!
What track is that? SOW?
Thanks for the tips Bloc. Yes it is SOW. That 06 R1 was my favorite bike and I felt very comfortable on it. This 09 R1 is a beast!!!! The ECU is flashed, the gearing is changed and it has a mean torque in the first three gears and tend to fall on its face a lot in corners. I have been playing with the clicks and taming it at every track day at SOW and it feels more and more comfortable but as you said I am very stiff still...back to the drawing boards....
Graves rearsets | Graves kit box (ECU) | Cycle Pirates 3/4 throttle kit | Graves clip-ons | Graves full exhaust | ASV levers | Galfer rotors | Ohlins insert front | Ohlins TTX36 | Marchesini wheels | HT Moto seat | Crown carbon fiber kit | 520 conversion (-1+2)

Street Bike: 2011 BMW K1300S
concept27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #362
KoC-BlocER1
Turn and Burn!

Bikes: '09 R1 (Sold) ~ 2012 R1
It is a beast. I just changed all the suspension on mine. Re-geared to -1/+1. I just got her put back together and haven't had a chance to ride. I was really comfortable riding her in 1st/2nd gear and liked the engine breaking. Pretty much jumping on a whole new bike. Hopefully try to give her a run this weekend!
KoC-BlocER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #363
r1harper
I eat my R1

been reading these post and there is sme good info. Me and my good friend did a track day at NOLA in march...and after a few sessions you can see a few things..Some dudes are there to see how fast they can go, some are there to see juss how many people they can pass, etc.. Man we go out there to have fun!! we ride Int. and if we are last in the session so be it..we dont risks going down to make a pass, now we push and work on technique but if we start riding over our head or making bonehead decisions we pull the other over and say "hey man lets tone it down take a breather".. our last track day in Sept last year at Barber we both went down, he did in first session, then I did in the 6th session. No injuries both were low sides, but we had a fun day We learned from that lol....If you are on this forum you ride for fun...its not your job...enjoy and respect the other riders..Hell to the yeah baby!!!
r1harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #364
strider_aj
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2008 YZF R1
Subscribed....

Thank you Skanky for this informative thread
It is easy to appreciate the fine details of Cornering when we understand the physics behind it.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #365
concept27

Here are some photos of the day I started dragging a knee at Willow Springs International Raceway (Big Willow).

Sorry about the rant but I feel very special about this day. This is quite an accomplishment for me as I had crashed here 2 years prior in T1, a very fast corner at the end of a 160+ mph straight, and had not been able to go out and feel confident on this track.

Two weeks ago I was at Fontana (Auto Club Speedway) and started touching the ground out of nowhere in Turn 5-6. It's a hair pin and about a 70-80 mph turn. Flat and enough run off area if you overcook the corner or just decide not to commit. So I felt really good and confident about leaning the bike that far over and sticking the knee out. This past Memorial day at Big Willow started doing laps in the morning and literally said hello to the track and gauged the corners, got warmed up and promised to the track and myself that we are going to have fun today. Towards noon I was already going faster than usual, 2 seconds faster than my fastest personal time, and BOOOMM!!!! there it was... Big Willow T1...where I had crashed, where my bike flew about 10 feet in the air and broke in 100 pieces, where I tumbled about 50 yards at 140 mph and broke a toe and bruised my ego so bad....the beautiful sound of the knee puck hitting the tarmac... The most wonderful feeling...it's defeating your fear, proving that it is all about physics, body position, throttle control and BIG BALLS!!!

The rest of the day went by pretty much the same way, expect I now drag a knee on T1, T3 going up the Omega and T5 which used to scare the crap out of me. Down hill right hander!!!

Conclusion: Focus on becoming smooth around the track, set your markers, hit your markers lap after lap and become one with your bike. Spend all your money on tires. I cannot stress this enough. No matter what bike you ride, if it was built in the last 5 years it already has great components and you can take that bike to a track near you and start getting to know your and your bike's limits. Buy new tires, good tires, study the tires, learn how to preserve, manage and treat your tires...and one day...unexpected, out of nowhere....you, too will hear the most wonderful sound in the work through your ear plugs: plastic on tarmac.

Graves rearsets | Graves kit box (ECU) | Cycle Pirates 3/4 throttle kit | Graves clip-ons | Graves full exhaust | ASV levers | Galfer rotors | Ohlins insert front | Ohlins TTX36 | Marchesini wheels | HT Moto seat | Crown carbon fiber kit | 520 conversion (-1+2)

Old 06-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #366
Death R1
99 R1

Bikes: 99 R1
I never believed in dragging knees on the street.

I was always much quicker "on the street" ( not talking about the track ) with tucking the knee inside next to the fairing as it takes less movement to move off the seat and keeps the bike in that "neutral spot" if the suspension is setup right.

pics from the dragon

this is about as low as I need to go on the street

"In pursuit of more speed with the same power"

my "back from the dead" thread:
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263176

99 R1 parts for sale :
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307491

Last edited by Death R1; 06-13-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Death R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #367
M3&R1
Need more time with my R1

Bikes: R1

is he trying to drag his elbow or coming off his bike....his outside knee is not hooked on bike's tank...
M3&R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #368
Racer Dude
I eat my R1

Bikes: 00 R1

It looks like he's going to bite the load.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #369
BeaverPuncher
Frosty runs are the best

Bikes: Want a new bike
I can't hook my knee on the tank at all. It is physically impossible for me. I adjust myself so my inner thigh is hooked up instead.

First pic is the set up into a turn, the next is a rear view and then the exit.

https://picasaweb.google.com/m/photo...=androidclient

SIG courtesy of the awesome petrol spice
BeaverPuncher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #370
icecoldr1
Kickstand down around a curve

Bikes: 05 R1 (SOLD) 11 R1 (RIDING)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverPuncher View Post
I can't hook my knee on the tank at all. It is physically impossible for me. I adjust myself so my inner thigh is hooked up instead.

First pic is the set up into a turn, the next is a rear view and then the exit.

I'm the same way, I don't really think about much when I scrape. It's something I'll have to work on. This is the only vid I have of myself scrapping knee and it was in a parking lot (Quality Sucks) but I hope you guys get a glimpse of *I guess, how not to scrape knee*?!?
-It works for me.
icecoldr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #371
M3&R1
Need more time with my R1

Bikes: R1
my latest knee down picture at track
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	468911  
M3&R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #372
Flisker
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: R1 2004(Enjoying the afterlife),Black R1 2007
Exactly, what emon07 wrote is nonsence : "So if you're going to go right, your body is off to the right side and you're now pushing on the left grip."

Pushing on left grip will work if u are going 20 km/h. There is no way you could turn bike into the corner this way (without countersteering) in 150 km/h.

This is for sure as u say (emon07) "... lot of bad info ..."

r1menace is right, have to support him.

And ofc, good work Skanky it's nice to see some1 is trying to pass information and skills to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1menace View Post
Sorry but that makes no sense at all. I have no problems on the track and can push good times to be competitive at club standards. But one thing is for certain; you do not push the outside bar to make a turn. You do not weight the pegs to turn either. Maybe it's your sentence construction that is at fault here, but if you're teaching the above your students are going to go away confused.

To turn right you push the right hand clip-on or pull the left hand one. To stand the bike up when getting back on the power you push the outside bar or pull the inside one. This is basic CSS stuff.
Flisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #373
04honda1000rr
My R1 eats me.

With a proper suspension setup you can drag knee without going fast or having fancy tires. Body position and throttle control

04honda1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #374
EODtechR1
xplane

Bikes: '09 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky View Post
SECTION II - PRACTICE

[B][COLOR=blue] I do not hang off very much which results in much greater lean angles for the same speed as others who hang off more. I've reached the point where I know that I need to get off the seat more to gain more corner speed - any faster will require a greater lean angle, and there just isn't any more left (see example next section).
Why such an obsession with lean angle and/or getting a knee down. To be fast through and out of a corner you should lean the bike as little as possible, right? Extreme lean angles and getting a knee down as a product of speed is one thing but doing it just for the sake of doing it is a bit of an unnecessary risk, especially on a public road. Just a thought

Cheers

Last edited by EODtechR1; 11-07-2012 at 12:25 PM.
EODtechR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #375
Slvr04r1
Rubber side down

Bikes: 2009 r6 2010 r6 2007 R6 2004 R1 2010 R1 Ben spies 2006 R1
here is my contribution
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lateapex.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	476787   Click image for larger version

Name:	apex.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	476788  
Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #376
NoxImus
Tin Foil Hat

Bikes: 2012 R1 Raven
Awesome pictures and write up guys! I'm just upset it's winter time and I cant go tare up some corners. :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak9205 View Post
It's like kankles for your head!!

Your local HPT and EFI live tuner.
NoxImus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #377
NoxImus
Tin Foil Hat

Bikes: 2012 R1 Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshake1 View Post
And here's what can happen when you're riding like this, especially on the street. This isn't me, it's my friend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv6I3CafpCg
This is Hwy 33 above Ojai CA. Many motorcyclists go down here because it's mostly long sweeper type corners where you get really leaned over at high speeds. My friend knew better that to go at this pace so early in the riding season when we just had rains etc. But I crashed my CBR 2 weeks before he did on this same road so I'm no one to talk.
Was he alright? Looks like he may have given you a thumbs up, or waved... not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak9205 View Post
It's like kankles for your head!!

Your local HPT and EFI live tuner.
NoxImus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #378
BlackShadow
Need $ for bike parts

Bikes: 2011 R1, and all the bikes I wish i had
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr04r1 View Post
here is my contribution
Green rider, thats me.

Sig by Uncle P

I wish my Dad was alive to see some of the crazy shit I do. RIP Pops
BlackShadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #379
phalcon45
Objects in mirror are losing

Bikes: R1 Raven, R6
Fantastic

What a fantastic write up! Great stuff here. Thank you for the good advice. I love knowing that there are other riders out there that want to help make everyone else better.
I agree on learning your lean angle and I had to laugh at myself when I read what you wrote. SO TRUE! I use to think I was really pushing my bike over on some of the twistys around here but then I mounted a camera on the side and realized that I was only going over a couple degrees (probably not much more than my bike leans on its kickstand) LOL. I guess I wasnt as cool as I thought I was.
My knee pucs still dont have any scratches on them but Im still practicing and the camera shows Im getting further and further over.
I'll get there one of these days...
Thanks again and I'll take any other advice anyone has.
phalcon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #380
concept27

Like to put in my $0.02 in here again. I agree with Phalcon45 the moment you realize you are barely leaned over. I did a track day around March 2011 (picture on the right) and another one in July 2011 (left picture).

Needless to mention, I did a track day every month in between. I didn't receive 1 on 1 coaching on the track or went to any advanced rider development course. I don't race and I am not fast by any means, middle B group rider on a good day. My point being, in my opinion, only track time will get you solid result. Given, some may need coaching so they don't continue riding around the track making the same mistakes over and over, but in general, you only will be able to push your limits and the limits of your bike in a controlled and safe environment. Those corners come around lap after and lap and you will get better and better as the day progresses. I remember the day it happened...boom....I remember vividly. I wasn't even planning on it as I had already gotten frustrated not being able to drag a knee so I had decided to focus on hitting my markers and becoming a faster rider in my group....I have to mention, it did make a huge different using Dunlop tires and gaining confidence in them as I started leaning over more and more and realizing I had enough traction in them. Then in the same corner I had crashed before and I was just inching my way around the track...it happened....I was shooting for my exit marker, pinned the throttle, started to hang off a little so I could stand the bike up a little more for better traction....and heard the puck dragging...I was so excited I came around again and did the same thing...over and over and over.....

For those riding brethren out there who are focused on dragging knees. My recommendation would be:
  • 1.Stop trying to become faster on the streets and canyons and take your skills to the track
  • 2. Maybe take a rider course or two, most track day organizations offer free or very inexpensive rider courses, take advantage on those to learn good lines and cornering techniques
  • 3. Focus on becoming a better rider by hitting your markers, become faster in your group and maybe even upgrade to a faster group

...and as you become faster and more comfortable with speed, your body will adjust to the bike movements and one day....you will hear the beautiful sound of your pucks on the tarmac.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement