Friend Totaled My 2011 R1 - Page 3 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #41
kissdaring
Love to ride like your b1tch

Bikes: BMW S1000RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxImus View Post
I don't have friends that I feel that I couldn't trust with my life, let alone a motorcycle. I think the OP did the right thing, I would have done the same thing. Some people are just shittie people, plain and simple. I think he has learned that his "friend" is a shittie person... or a dumb ass, either way.
Thank you!

Black 2011 R1 Crashed! *Not by me*
Black 2010 BMW S1000RR Sold.
Blue 2009 R1 Sold,
Black 2008 R1 Sold,
Black 2006 R1 Sold,
White 2006 R1 Sold,
Red 2004 R6 Sold,

kissdaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #42
SakiBomb
Herro!

Bikes: 05 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxImus View Post
I don't have friends that I feel that I couldn't trust with my life, let alone a motorcycle. I think the OP did the right thing, I would have done the same thing. Some people are just shittie people, plain and simple. I think he has learned that his "friend" is a shittie person... or a dumb ass, either way.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think he did anything wrong and there's some I'd definitely trust my life with. I probably would've been caught with my pants down as well, but you learn which friends you can trust, and which ONES you can trust, imho. It just sucks to learn the hard way.
SakiBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #43
SLEEP
Fancy Lad Finishing School

Bikes: 03 R6 and 07 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakiBomb View Post
Don't get me wrong, I don't think he did anything wrong and there's some I'd definitely trust my life with. I probably would've been caught with my pants down as well, but you learn which friends you can trust, and which ONES you can trust, imho. It just sucks to learn the hard way.
Truth!!

In my case it took about 10 years for this dudes inner scumbag to shine through! We were in the Marines together, deployed together and he and his now ex-wife introduced me to my wife. We'd had each others backs for years! I definitely learned the hard way!

I was gonna turn that R6 into my track bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #44
SLEEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissdaring View Post
F88K man sorry to hear it. I cant afford to catch a charge over his ass. Im sure this is what he's looking for me to do and I dont want him to have the satisfaction of that!!!!

Thank bro, glad you understand where im coming from. we are getting killed down here! they wanted 12K a year for full coverage. 400% mark up on super sport!
I'm always sorry to it happen to someone else!

I wasn't at all interested in catching a case either but that was the furthest thing from my mind at the time. I'm not necessarily a violent person but wrecking my bike, lying to me about it and the fact that I had only been back from Iraq about 24 hours, it was bit of a natural reaction. 😜😝😊

Old 11-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #45
Saphexus
You don't impress me.

Bikes: 2011 Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
and what if it gets stolen? Oh yeah, it did.
@ss.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #46
Yam M1R
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: Yamaha R1
baseball bat !!! A good old ass beating !!!! sometimes you gotta show people how you feel !!!! it's okay to reach out touch sometime!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Yam M1R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #47
SLEEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam M1R View Post
baseball bat !!! A good old ass beating !!!! sometimes you gotta show people how you feel !!!! it's okay to reach out touch sometime!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Word.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #48
kissdaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEP View Post
Word.
Guys, I dont want to resort to that as there are other way make an ungrateful F^ck pay

Blue 2009 R1 Sold,
Black 2008 R1 Sold,
Black 2006 R1 Sold,
White 2006 R1 Sold,
Red 2004 R6 Sold,

Old 11-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #49
SLEEP

Quote:
Guys, I dont want to resort to that as there are other way make an ungrateful F^ck pay
Lol, I'm in no way suggesting that you do the same thing I did. I wish I would've taken some sort of legal action. Now I'm starting to wonder what the statute of limitations are, if that even applies?!

Old 11-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #50
kissdaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEP View Post
Lol, I'm in no way suggesting that you do the same thing I did. I wish I would've taken some sort of legal action. Now I'm starting to wonder what the statute of limitations are, if that even applies?!

In Canada 6 months to press charges and 2 years to sue. I think its fairly similar across north America

Blue 2009 R1 Sold,
Black 2008 R1 Sold,
Black 2006 R1 Sold,
White 2006 R1 Sold,
Red 2004 R6 Sold,

Old 11-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #51
bacchus40
kickin' at the darkness

Bikes: 2005 RAVEN R6, sold; PEARL WHITE 2009 YZF R1 ~ rip, CADMIUM YELLOW 2009 YZF-R1!
1st of all... stop posting all this info on the net... press charges and take him to small claims...

stop posting all this info on the net... period

sucks to be you, fellow canuck... obviously yah both shit the bed on this one... there is no amount of advice
from complete strangers that will help... nothing to be gained from it... delete thread... do what you gotta do..!

storage locker would have been wayyy cheaper.!..

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,

Last edited by bacchus40; 11-14-2012 at 01:23 AM.
bacchus40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #52
kissdaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
1st of all... stop posting all this info on the net... press charges and take him to small claims...

stop posting all this info on the net... period

sucks to be you, fellow canuck... obviously yah both shit the bed on this one... there is no amount of advice
from complete strangers that will help... nothing to be gained from it... delete thread... do what you gotta do..!

storage locker would have been wayyy cheaper.!..
Thanks for the advice Beatrice.... but if you have nothing positive to say then dont comment on it. no body had a gun to you asking you to. The internet if full of knowledge from strangers.

Blue 2009 R1 Sold,
Black 2008 R1 Sold,
Black 2006 R1 Sold,
White 2006 R1 Sold,
Red 2004 R6 Sold,

Old 11-14-2012, 03:04 AM   #53
Mad Matt
I eat my R1

Bikes: R1
Really am sorry to hear this mate, i know what its like to have your bike damaged by others....

It seems to me that your stuck in a tricky situation, taking him to court isn't going to guarantee you getting any compensation especially if he has no money and if he's anything like some of the scum i know they would sooner go to jail than pay money...

Im hoping more guy's from your part of the world will chime in with legal advice so that you can explore all options.

Whatever you do please keep us posted mate and good luck....
Mad Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #54
ocbpartee05
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2004 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
You're screwed. He stole the bike and used it, so he's on the hook for it. You can get him for a felony as well. He knows he's screwed as well. Might as well press charges on him and get a judgment against him.
I'm pretty sure the friend would only be charged with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, which would be a misdemeanor. I was out drinking with my buddies at a bar one night, and a girl that we went to high school with back on the day came walking in. (she was a little nuts back then, but had matured "nicely") and thought she maybe grew up, so we invited her over to sit with us. She ended up hanging with us at that bar, and we got drunk. She was still ok to drive, so I gave her the keys to drive us all to the next bar. As I got out of my truck, she took the keys from the ignition and kept them with her. I didn't notice. I was drunk. A couple hours later, she was gone, and so was my truck. I was so mad, I could have bent a penny with my fingers. I called the cops and reported it stolen, and eventually found it the next day, back behind the bar we originally saw her at, and it was almost parked in a tree. Doors locked and no keys anywhere. Keyless entry, but no keys. She never answered her phone, and I had to spend 150 bucks for a new key and 60 bucks for a tow back to my house. The whole time it was missing, they said I could only charge her with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, because I gave her the keys. Lesson learned. May be a different story because his alleged friend wrecked his bike, but I woul imagine the whole leaving of the key makes it easier for him to get off the hook. Op, that sucks. I hope you get justice, in one form or another. I know I would.
ocbpartee05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #55
shhaker
over da hump.....

Bikes: 2004 R1//2007 GSX-R600 sold, 2012 Aprilia RSV4 FACTORY
his name isnt andre is it? i never did any any cash off that jack wad. lesson learned. sorry it happened to you. either beat the shit out of the dude or sue him or both.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #56
Blue Streak
I've fallen and I can't get up

Bikes: 2000 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
He already lives in an apartment with no proper bike storage capability, so that's a strike. Then he leaves it with a buddy with the key for a long period.....strike 2. That's all his prerogative, I understand that, but it's pretty much guaranteeing that the bike is going to be stolen.

So I guess you would pay 12k a year for full coverage on a 2011 R1?

I used to leave a bike I had when I was younger on the street at night (right off a mian road) and nothing ever happened to it. That same bike I used to store at a girlfrien's parents place when it got colder or I was going overseas - mainly for protection from elements - not because I was worried about it being stolen.

OP has had enough bikes that he is still ahead on cash vs. having paid crazy insurance rates for x amount of years.
Blue Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #57
Reflections
I eat my R1

i know alot of people in the niagara area that ride without insurance at all.
im 28 married with a house kids blah blah ....clean driving record and still pay 2200 for the year on my r1 for full coverage. ontario insurance is insane.

op sorry about the bike. hopefully everything works out in the end.
my advice would be try to have his family co sign for a loan to pay you off?
try keeping it as civil as possible untill the court date.

leaving the keys with him not the smartest idea, but i would have trusted the bike at a friends too, thats what friends are suppost to be for isnt it?
Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #58
AKDMA
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 Raven R1
I say press charges (if applicable). Then the restitution fees will come with threat of jail time if they aren't kept current.
AKDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #59
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Quote:
what are you suggesting?
I'm suggesting that if you're going to double down on taking risks that are KNOWN to end up in a higher rate of theft, then you should consider the insurance. Your situation is case in point.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #60
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Quote:
Thanks for the advice Beatrice.... but if you have nothing positive to say then dont comment on it. no body had a gun to you asking you to. The internet if full of knowledge from strangers.
he's giving you sound advice. First, you have him charged with whatever the law will allow, whether it's theft, unauthorized use, whatever. And it's not primarily just to fcvk with him. It's so you can get a documented conviction of him to support your small claims case. It's going to help your case MONUMENTALLY if you can produce a factual conviction of him in court concerning this incident, vs going into court relying only on he said/she said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post
So I guess you would pay 12k a year for full coverage on a 2011 R1?

I used to leave a bike I had when I was younger on the street at night (right off a mian road) and nothing ever happened to it. That same bike I used to store at a girlfrien's parents place when it got colder or I was going overseas - mainly for protection from elements - not because I was worried about it being stolen.

OP has had enough bikes that he is still ahead on cash vs. having paid crazy insurance rates for x amount of years.
Of course I wouldn't pay that, but sans having coverage I would take additional precautions to self-insure that the risk is very low of my bike getting stolen. Parking it at an apartment and leaving it with a friend, with the keys, are BOTH contrary to that. That said, that's water under the bridge. What he needs to do now has been spelled out several times on here. I hope he is successful, and I hope his dipsheot friend learns a valuable lesson out of this, and I hope the OP learns a valuable lesson out of this.