Friend Totaled My 2011 R1 - Page 4 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #61
rexmitchell
I am the vanilla gorilla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post
So I guess you would pay 12k a year for full coverage on a 2011 R1?

I used to leave a bike I had when I was younger on the street at night (right off a mian road) and nothing ever happened to it. That same bike I used to store at a girlfrien's parents place when it got colder or I was going overseas - mainly for protection from elements - not because I was worried about it being stolen.

OP has had enough bikes that he is still ahead on cash vs. having paid crazy insurance rates for x amount of years.
Who the fvck would pay insurance that costs as much as a new bike each year Its not a Ferrari

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
I'd rather be ass-to-ass with Kirk
Quote:
That dude is a walking tampon.
rexmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #62
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
BTW, I find it funny that people are commenting that the risk of theft in Canada isn't as high as in the US, but full coverage insurance in Canada is 12K? Something is not adding up here.

Also, somebody else mentioned that his friend didn't really reveal his true self until after knowing him for 10 years; is that really the case? ....or did you just not see it for 10 years, or didn't really care for 10 years because it wasn't affecting you?

I've got "friends" who I consider very casual friends at best, but know damn well they would be completely untrustworthy if you had to rely on them, lend them something, etc. Then, I've got friends who I would let take my bike for a ride, knowing they would do the right thing if they fcvked up. Even then, the difference between a friend I actually let ride my bike, and a friend I would let ride my bike is I know the guy who actually rides it has insurance. Trust, but verify.--Pres. Ronald Reagan
Old 11-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #63
Blue Streak
I've fallen and I can't get up

Bikes: 2000 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
BTW, I find it funny that people are commenting that the risk of theft in Canada isn't as high as in the US, but full coverage insurance in Canada is 12K? Something is not adding up here.

Also, somebody else mentioned that his friend didn't really reveal his true self until after knowing him for 10 years; is that really the case? ....or did you just not see it for 10 years, or didn't really care for 10 years because it wasn't affecting you?

I've got "friends" who I consider very casual friends at best, but know damn well they would be completely untrustworthy if you had to rely on them, lend them something, etc. Then, I've got friends who I would let take my bike for a ride, knowing they would do the right thing if they fcvked up. Even then, the difference between a friend I actually let ride my bike, and a friend I would let ride my bike is I know the guy who actually rides it has insurance. Trust, but verify.--Pres. Ronald Reagan
high insurance on sportbikes is not because of theft... it's because of high "wipeout" rate. Also, even within provinces in Canada the insurance is setup differently. In Ontario almost all sportbike are blacklisted thus making it very difficult to get insurance. It easier to be a crappy rider and get a litre Harley then to be an exceptional rider and get a liter supersport. List below.

On point of friend for 10 years ... I know a lot of guys who were married to and considered their wife their friend (and vice versa) for way more than 10 years and are now divorced and hate each other.... point - friends come and go and nobody is perfect...

Blacklist:

APRILIA
All models, except Scarabeo
BENELLI
Tornado TRE
BMW
S1000RR
DUCATI
All models
GUZZI
Daytona 1000
HONDA
CBR 600F, 600E2, 600F3
CBR 600F4, 600F4i, 600RR, 600SE
CBR 900, 900RR, 929, 929RR, 954, 954RR
CBR 1000 Hurricane, 1000RR, 1100X, 1100XX
RC51
RVT 1000
VTR 1000F, 1000 Firestorm
KAWASAKI
Ninja
750R
900R
GPZ 1100
ZX-6, ZX-6R, ZX-6RR
ZX-7, ZX-7R. ZX-7RR
ZX-9R, ZX-9RR
ZX-10, ZX-10R
ZX-12R
ZX-14
ZX 600, 600R
ZX 750, 750R
ZX 900, 900R
ZX 1000
ZX 1100
ZX 1200
KTM
950, 990, 1190 RC8, 1190 RC8R, RC8
SUZUKI
GSX 1300R, 1300R Hayabusa
GSXR 600, 600 Alstare
GSXR 750
GSXR 1000
GSXR 1100
GSXR 1300
RG 250
RG 500, 500 Walter Wolf
TL 1000
TRIUMPH
Daytona T595. 600, 650, 900, 955, 955i, 1200
Daytona 675, 675 Triple
Daytona Super Three
Speed Triple (T509)
Speed Quatre
Sprint RS, Sport. ST
TT 600
YAMAHA
FZR 600, 750, 750R, 1000
YZF 600R, 750, 750R, 750SPE, 1000, 1000R
YZF R1
YZF R6, R6L, R6S
V-MAX
VMX 12 V-MAX
Blue Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #64
R1nStang
Owner of the color changing R1

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
i didnt read all the responses but heres my 2 cents. tell him hes on the line for the money for the bike. either he can go to his bank and get a personal loan to pay it off. or he can pawn everything he owns.
if he says no...to call it in stolen tell him if you call it in as stolen you will report that HE is the one that stole it.
if you have the emails, text or whatever communications you made with him that it was being stored there...and he was not to ride it etc etc then thats your ticket in court. show the judge you two agreed it would be stored not ridden. keys were only left if it had to be moved out of the garage for any reason. he took it upon himself to ride the bike at high speeds probably in an unsafe manner and its his responsibility to pay for the bike. in the end the courts/cops may tell you to report it stolen, charge your friend with stealing it and then you hope he pays something in small claims.

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Yoshi TRC-D slip-ons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, ECUnleashed with Race Idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO View Post
my anus is just swollen.. Shut it!!!
R1nStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #65
SLEEP
Fancy Lad Finishing School

Bikes: 03 R6 and 07 R1
Quote:

I was the one that said it took me 10 years to realize that the dude that wrecked my bike was a scumbag. Honestly, it coulda been a combination of all 3 things you stated. Who knows at this point?! Regardless he was someone I trusted to keep an eye on my stuff at the time. I don't trust anyone to ride my bike, insurance or not. Even good people lose their minds and do dumb $hit sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #66
bacchus40
kickin' at the darkness

Bikes: 2005 RAVEN R6, sold; PEARL WHITE 2009 YZF R1 ~ rip, CADMIUM YELLOW 2009 YZF-R1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissdaring View Post
Thanks for the advice
please read PM... i believe you misunderstood ..

friendly advice, nothing good comes from having full details of a legal matters against someone, posted in a public forum.. specially in Canada... but its your call...

while there may be a lot of knowledge available to yah, its a bit of a catch 22... you need to take this case seriously... even if you think yer 'ahem... buddy is a broke arse loser... fact remains.. he wrecked your ride... a very expensive one at that....

Quote:
basic math.. way more people in the USA who insure high ticket items... lower premiums... plus at least in British Columbia, the local insurance company pretty much holds a monopoly... no need to compete with other for lower rates...

all modern bikes must have an immobilizer installed from the factory... therefore... lower theft numbers... we still get ripped off though as people will part them out locally and abroad... but for the most part, we do have a lower crime rate.. apparently you still cant trust friends to do the right thing though...

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,

Last edited by bacchus40; 11-14-2012 at 09:13 AM.
bacchus40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #67
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post

On point of friend for 10 years ... I know a lot of guys who were married to and considered their wife their friend (and vice versa) for way more than 10 years and are now divorced and hate each other.... point - friends come and go and nobody is perfect...
to that point, I know several friends who are divorced after 10, and up to 20 years of marriage. It seems they were the only ones who didn't see that it was coming, because everybody else around them saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
.. apparently you still cant trust friends to do the right thing though...
2 things I have learned to be true in my life:

1. the only person you can 100% trust is yourself, and that's not even foolproof.
2. initially assuming everybody is an untrustworthy douchebag until they prove otherwise is, unfortunately, correct the majority of the time.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #68
rexmitchell

Quote:
to that point, I know several friends who are divorced after 10, and up to 20 years of marriage. It seems they were the only ones who didn't see that it was coming, because everybody else around them saw it.

2. initially assuming everybody is an untrustworthy douchebag until they prove otherwise is, unfortunately, correct the majority of the time.
Sadly, this principle must be applied %100 of the time. Seems to me that more often than not, the person you thought you could trust turns out to be the worst

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #69
cyclepsycho7
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

Bikes: 06 R1
Quote:

I think you hit it right on point. I have people that I call friends but know exactly where I stand when it comes to something as important as true trust. Those are my casual friends that I have many of but I only have three true friends that I could count on for anything.

Edit: And if you have one really trustworthy friend your very lucky.

Last edited by cyclepsycho7; 11-14-2012 at 01:16 PM.
cyclepsycho7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #70
Matt600r
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2008 R1
The first time I ever sat my ass on a Sport Bike was when I was 19 years old. My friend/co-worker just bought his brand new 2000 CBR F4 that he was extremely excited and proud to have. One morning after work (6 a.m), I asked him if I could take it for a spin and he said sure, let me warm it up. It was a fall morning with dew on the ground. I hopped on the bike after it was warmed up, started to let the clutch out and the bike took off quicker than I expected. The bottom fairing hit a curb in the parking lot and i dumped it. First thing I did was apologize about 20 times, then told him to take it in to get estimates. He came back the following week with an estimate of 1100 dollars to fix the left side fairings, and the stator cover. I went to the bank the following day and took out a personal loan and gave him the money. This is what a real friend does!! I feel for you because not only is he not paying you, but he didn't even have permission like I did to take the bike for a ride. You got hit with a double whammy. What a shitty thing to do to someone. If the roles were reversed......he would expect you to pay him! He is a liar and a thief and therefor I would sue him for the max!
Matt600r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #71
Blue Streak

[QUOTE=KMac;5400751]to that point, I know several friends who are divorced after 10, and up to 20 years of marriage. It seems they were the only ones who didn't see that it was coming, because everybody else around them saw it.

QUOTE]

I get you but also can play the devils advocate.

I know a lot who were happy and didn't see it coming.... nor did anyone else until a sudden turn of events...

I guess Julius Ceasar and even better Jesus Christ (perfect) were not good at picking friends either.

The only way you know for sure you have a friend for life is if one of you dies and you were friends to the end.

The OP "had" a friend and you cannot blame someone for trusting another human. We all have "had" friends that we no longer trust or associate with and probably vice versa.

I have more freinds than I can count (actually one is at my door right now) so I guess I am extremely fortunate or naive ... either way I am happy!

Last edited by Blue Streak; 11-14-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #72
Blue Streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexmitchell View Post
Sadly, this principle must be applied %100 of the time. Seems to me that more often than not, the person you thought you could trust turns out to be the worst
I dunno how you guys pick your friends ........

friendships should grow stronger over time... yeh you get screwed sometimes but that should not be the norm.

In my almost 50 years of life I have at least the same amount of people -50 (not including family) that Iwould call TRUE friends - willing to help me financially, emotionally, etc., w/o thinking twice about it and Vice Versa.

I think people these days communicate in-person a lot less than ever before and this is a big cause of people not having a lot of real friends..

always up for a rebuttal
Old 11-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #73
bacchus40
kickin' at the darkness

Bikes: 2005 RAVEN R6, sold; PEARL WHITE 2009 YZF R1 ~ rip, CADMIUM YELLOW 2009 YZF-R1!
friends dont let friends ride.. period

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,
bacchus40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #74
NoxImus
Tin Foil Hat

Bikes: 2012 R1 Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakiBomb View Post
Don't get me wrong, I don't think he did anything wrong and there's some I'd definitely trust my life with. I probably would've been caught with my pants down as well, but you learn which friends you can trust, and which ONES you can trust, imho. It just sucks to learn the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak9205 View Post
It's like kankles for your head!!

Your local HPT and EFI live tuner.
NoxImus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:34 AM   #75
capecodr1
My R1 eats me.

kind of simple. he's already charged with traffic offenses. what statements did you make to the police? wondering why he hasn't been charged with use without authority ?
seems your "buddy" needs your help now. maybe it's time to hit him hard with some reality? tell him you will provide papers IF he signs papers (notarized) that he is responsible for the damages and agrees to pay in full by x amount of time.
sounds like he's quite irresponsible. would bet 100% the only way your going to recover any cash is taking him to civil court. if he doesn't sign papers owning fault i'd contact a lawyer. they will probably pressure parents (their home ) and that will help. little advice.. DUDE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. stupid happens but he obviously DOESN'T RESPECT YOU to take your shit. period.
capecodr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #76
Mike08r1
DWIW, all day.

Bikes: 2008 r1
To the OP, definitely sue, not your friend. That's weak that he did that, and now is giving you the run around. You should've parked it in your apartment if you have the option, I know plenty of dude that do that.
Mike08r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #77
Patrk4546
My R1 eats me.

shame on you for leaving your keys with him. shame on u for trusting a person.

the only solution here is murder.
Patrk4546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #78
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 94 VMax, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
If anyone else gets themselves into this position, please, just pull the power connection for the fuel pump.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #79
rexmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
If anyone else gets themselves into this position, please, just pull the power connection for the fuel pump.
or just don't lock the steering and forget giving him the keys

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #80
T.C.
Bourbon is my blood

Bikes: 2002 R1, 2009 KTM RC8, 1980 FLH Harley, 1993 Suzuki Rmx 250, 1979 CB900f(modified), 1980 Kawasaki KX125
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexmitchell View Post
or just don't lock the steering and forget giving him the keys

The best way to do it if you have to leave it with someone.

Sig by Uncle P.

Cal meh anj alcholic all yoo want. I will not memba in the morning, or the next day.

My bike thread.. http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343172
T.C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement