take them to small claims or not? : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
speedygsxr06
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 zx10!!!!!!!
take them to small claims or not?

So heres the deal.

In june i totalled my civic. Insurance offered me 4500$ for the car, and 4000$ if i kept it. It was a nice daily driver with a gsr swap, full suspension, etc. Now mind you, i could sell ghe totalled car for 1500-2000$ cuz of the motor and tranny, etc.

Well this kid who i know would not leave me alone about buying it from me. His fiance was pregnant, and they needed a motor for their civic to sell it. So he offered me 1000$ on top of what insurance was giving me. He only had 500$ at the time. And he offered to give me 50% of the parts he sold off the car.

So me being the nice guy agreed. He gave me 500$ and then 100$ a week later. After that? He went on vacation to arkansas (meanwhile owing me $$). I dont let it bother me.

I ask him every few weeks for cash, and i get a sob story.

Meanwhile hes buying cars and trading cars. Still no money.

So last week he calls me and asks if i want to work for him and his uncle, and then bragged about making 4500$ last month doing the work. I was out eating, so i didnt say anything.

I call him three times since then, no response. Finally i write him on facebook, he tells me to basically **** off.

I got heated, called the police cuz otherwise i was gonns go do something regretful at his house.

Well reason i called the cops, i still have the title, and he disposed of the car and everything else without my permission.

Now, cops said they cant do anything because i let him take the car.

So question is, i could take him to court and possibly get as much as 1000$, would you do it? Not for the money, but out of principle. Have pics and messages, so it would be a open and shut case

This is the last time i help someone out. This kid is lucky i dont take it into my own hands.

Ecu reflash-asv levers-vortex frame sliders- ss brakelines- m4 y pipe-yoshi slip ons-pc5-integrated lights-double bubble-peroni grips-
-sig courtesy of Petrol Spice!
speedygsxr06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
a. there is no such thing as an open and shut case
2. YOU are lucky you don't take it into your own hands, you just don't know it yet.
iii. take him to court for the true amount you believe you are owed, tell the absolute truth, bring all the objective proof you can get, and let it be decided.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
speedygsxr06
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
a. there is no such thing as an open and shut case
2. YOU are lucky you don't take it into your own hands, you just don't know it yet.
iii. take him to court for the true amount you believe you are owed, tell the absolute truth, bring all the objective proof you can get, and let it be decided.
I know that, what im saying is i have all the proof needed.

And im not saying id hurt anyone, but id get my moneys worth some other way than cash.

Ecu reflash-asv levers-vortex frame sliders- ss brakelines- m4 y pipe-yoshi slip ons-pc5-integrated lights-double bubble-peroni grips-
Old 11-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
BeaverPuncher
Frosty runs are the best

Bikes: Want a new bike
Call the hospital and ask how much a broken arm is and also a broken leg. Either go to Arkansas and work him over with a bat till the cost is the same or let it go and lesson learned. Basically you have now given him a gift and it seems like in then long run you will be better off.

SIG courtesy of the awesome petrol spice
BeaverPuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
speedygsxr06
I eat my R1

Funny you say that, ive had quite a few broken bones. Theyre not cheap lol

Old 11-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
speedygsxr06
I eat my R1

Guess the fact that i and about 4 other friends banged his fiance is a plus too. Fotta love sluts

Old 11-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Detrich
2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 Blue

Bikes: 2012 YZF-R1 Team Yamaha Blue
I am without speech. -._.-

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

View My Virtual Garage
Detrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Kangaroo
para bellum

Sig courtesy of SpidermanSS 9-15-09

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
bacchus40
kickin' at the darkness

Bikes: 2005 RAVEN R6, sold; PEARL WHITE 2009 YZF R1 ~ rip, CADMIUM YELLOW 2009 YZF-R1!
really? i mean.. serious? hugh?

my uncle used to do expensive favors like that... at least in his case he would 'borrow'
something of theirs for the duration of the 'loan'..

once got to ride a kawi 636 for like 6 months till buddy finally got a clue and paid off some mechanical work...

hard to believe people are so nice.. must be an american thing...

Dynojet PCV, DJ AT-200, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS, GYTR , graves AIS, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, RK520, JT (japan) 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL qs,
CLEVER WOLF tank CF, RIZOMA sportline grips, APEX adj. clip-ons, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN no-cut, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines
bacchus40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
speedygsxr06
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
really? i mean.. serious? hugh?

my uncle used to do expensive favors like that... at least in his case he would 'borrow'
something of theirs for the duration of the 'loan'..

once got to ride a kawi 636 for like 6 months till buddy finally got a clue and paid off some mechanical work...

hard to believe people are so nice.. must be an american thing...
Yea i know it was foolish, but i always try trusting people. Oh well, ill get my 400$ worth somehow. And ya i shouldve done that. Lesson learned

Old 11-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
iGoldeneye
WERA? \_(ツ)_/ #21

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha R1 Raven - '04 GSXR600 (track) - 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary (sold)
If you really want the money, and have the time(and money to file), and want to see him waste his time and/or get a judgement, then go for it. If not, just let karma take it's course...

Thanks Uncle P!

WERA #21

View my MOD ADDICTED 2012 R1 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post

Being a biker is not a welfare sport.
iGoldeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 94 VMax, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
This thread is like asking if you should wear a rubber when screwing trailer trash. If you don't, you're a dumbass.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
This thread is like asking if you should wear a rubber when screwing trailer trash. If you don't, you're a dumbass.
God I needed that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #14
Patryn
My R1 eats me.

Take him to court. You should be able to also claim any filing/court fees if you win the case. It really is not that much to file the papers, then either have them served by mail or pay some small fee to have the police serve the papers to him. Some states will even allow you to charge interest on the debt until its paid off. So if you have the time take him to small claims. Besides, it might keep him from pulling the same trick over on someone else.
Patryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #15
Blk08R1
I eat my R1

He said hed get you 50% of what he got for parts? That would mean he owes you the $400 plus. At least thats how I read it. If you do take him make sure you add in your lawyer fees and time you had to take away from work to go to court.
Blk08R1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement