AR10/AR15 builders and Owners - Page 9 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #161
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 08 Raven R1, 97 F3, 94 VMax, 65 CA95, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxImus View Post
I was reading through some government reviews on the round. I guess in the Iraq, and Afghanistan war they were having issues with range, and barrier penetration. I know I'll be shooting this at the range a lot, but I also would like it to be practical if shit ever hit the fan.

Thanks man, I will do some heavy reading through all of that. Thanks a lot.
Great point, and practically speaking, the 223 allows you to carry more rounds but the trade off is penetration. We can't get the good 5.56 rounds so the ss109 is what we have to deal with. Follow up shots are quicker with a 223 and the platform is usually lighter. Trying to get a platform that does everything is hard. If you purchased an LWRCI repr and then bought the marksman upper for it, you'd have the best of both worlds.

For instance, my ballistic vest can only hold 1 20 round 7.62 mag in each pouch, the same pouch holds 60 rounds of 223 in AR mags, 90 if I stuff them. Once again, it's the preference of what you will need it for. The 30 cal round is awesome for distance and penetration but sucks for weight.
Meister37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #162
NoxImus
Tin Foil Hat

Bikes: 2012 R1 Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Great point, and practically speaking, the 223 allows you to carry more rounds but the trade off is penetration. We can't get the good 5.56 rounds so the ss109 is what we have to deal with. Follow up shots are quicker with a 223 and the platform is usually lighter. Trying to get a platform that does everything is hard. If you purchased an LWRCI repr and then bought the marksman upper for it, you'd have the best of both worlds.

For instance, my ballistic vest can only hold 1 20 round 7.62 mag in each pouch, the same pouch holds 60 rounds of 223 in AR mags, 90 if I stuff them. Once again, it's the preference of what you will need it for. The 30 cal round is awesome for distance and penetration but sucks for weight.
yeah, that's a good point. Being able to carry the ammo on me is a bit important... I'm going to go through the websites the other guy gave me, I'm sure i'll learn a lot there too. Thanks again for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak9205 View Post
It's like kankles for your head!!

Your local HPT and EFI live tuner.
NoxImus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #163
Creeping Death
Born Again Patriot

Bikes: 2009 YZF-R1, Raven
Quote:
yeah, that's a good point. Being able to carry the ammo on me is a bit important... I'm going to go through the websites the other guy gave me, I'm sure i'll learn a lot there too. Thanks again for your help!
I just read the last couple pages, 'the other guy' is Fikays aka Frank. He's one of the cool kids around here. Show him some respect, you'll figure out why eventually. This is a tough crowd, lot's of smart asses, most don't mean anything by their poking fun. Many of the other forum members will take offense when you're a dick to certain members. They will talk to you as if they know you, you will not be treated with kid gloves because you're new. You're in their house, stick around long enough and it will be your house as well.

Also check out 308ar.com if you're looking at 7.62.

SIG courtesy of Petrol Spice in care of InkedR1Pilot
Thanks Uncle P!

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli #58 01/20/87 ~ 10/23/11
R.I.P Andre (Twistgrip)
Ride On Brothers...
Creeping Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #164
KMac
SuperModerateur

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Quote:
I've now decided that I am going to pursue the 7.62x51 caliber. For now, because I am unfamiliar with the platform, i'm going to do an "out of the box option." Given it's going to be shot at the rang, i'm sure nothing over 750 yds, what would you recommend? Yes, I'm looking for good, reliable brand names.
This is exactly what Fikays is talking about. You are all over the place, but talking like you're not. It's the exact same thing that prompted my first post in this thread; everything you're asking doesn't add up to what it is you say you want, and then you even say you don't even know what you want, but you want specifics about it. About what? Everything? You want a weapon for home defense, close quarters, shooting at the range, and now long range; you want it ALL in one gun. However, the bulk of the intent is for home defense, close quarters and short range shooting, correct? Yet, you've convinced yourself the 7.62 is what you're going to do, although admittedly are unfamiliar with the platform. So, you're going to throw down on something you know nothing of for the weapon you want to have to do it all? And based off of what?.....the extremely little amount of info you've gotten here? Some of this info may even be the bogus ramblings of internet experts.......how would you know?

To the real point (at least according to you), what in the hell are you going to use a 7.62 for home defense for? Are you defending the home itself, or yourself while inside the home? I would love to see your neighbors' faces when you boast to them that you are getting a howitzer for "home defense". The thing you need to do is get serious with yourself about what you really want, and what the correct weapons are for each need, instead of wandering all over the map looking for single, anecdotal pieces of info to build your case to yourself to find the miracle gun that will do it all.

I think you've got other factors influencing what you buy that you haven't mentioned and are in here just "talking gun" bs to kill time while you're at the airport/hotel, almost like you're trying to justify a toy and need plausible ammo for that.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #165
rexmitchell
I am the vanilla gorilla!

.50 beowulf is billed for home defense on Cabela's website Kirk, that is 100% practical in close quarters combat. I'd be you could make it through your wall and at least 2 of your neighbors and still have decent knockdown power

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett
rexmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #166
KMac
SuperModerateur

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexmitchell View Post
.50 beowulf is billed for home defense on Cabela's website Kirk, that is 100% practical in close quarters combat. I'd be you could make it through your wall and at least 2 of your neighbors and still have decent knockdown power
That's good.........because I think I need that capability. Well, I also need to be able to hit something at 3/4 of a mile with it, but it has to be quiet so I can turkey hunt with it, but still completely remove its head for a quick kill.....while on the run. I heard an ACOG is a perfect sight for this, so I'm gonna pick one of those up. This whole thing needs to be able to be concealed in the ankle of my boot, so I think the collapsible stock is a must. Man, when I'm done I'm gonna be Paul Blart- - -SpecOps Asskicking Suburban Assault Neighborhood Watching Woodsman.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #167
rexmitchell
I am the vanilla gorilla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
That's good.........because I think I need that capability. Well, I also need to be able to hit something at 3/4 of a mile with it, but it has to be quiet so I can turkey hunt with it, but still completely remove its head for a quick kill.....while on the run. I heard an ACOG is a perfect sight for this, so I'm gonna pick one of those up. This whole thing needs to be able to be concealed in the ankle of my boot, so I think the collapsible stock is a must. Man, when I'm done I'm gonna be Paul Blart- - -SpecOps Asskicking Suburban Assault Neighborhood Watching Woodsman.
You forgot to add the practicality of a round like that and the extremely low cost of around $2 a bullet for good ammo

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett
rexmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #168
WarMachine
INSTIGATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE

Bikes: 2003 R1 SPECIAL EDITION
Quote:

Sent from my Rooted S3 fool

GHOSTRIDER SQUADRON XO
sig courtesy of UNCLE PETROL

"It is inconceivable that the framers - seeking to provide Americans with a means to resist tyrannical government - would fashion a right that can be exercised only in the context of a militia that is under government control." Robet A. Levy

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM]
WarMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #169
Fikays
SuperMod Abuser

Bikes: 2000 R1; 1999 R1 trackwhore; Sold: 1999 R1, 2000 Ducati 996, 2007 R6r, 2008 R6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexmitchell View Post

Quote:
Yeah, don't forget the 14.5 barrel. :rollseyes

SIG courtesy of petrol!

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron CO
Fikays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #170
NoxImus
Tin Foil Hat

I live out in the country on the outskirts of fort wayne. My closest neighbor is probably 3/4 of a mile away? Like I said a few posts back, I'm going to read up on the sites that frank gave, and see what's best for me. I'm a complete open book taking in information. While I am "killing" time as you would say, I'm also very serious about the purchase. I never said I was going with a 14.5 barrel, I'm probably going to do a 16", but that's subjective to what I read/ learn because I haven't purchased anything yet. But, from what I understand a 16" would be good to at least 750yds, plenty for me. I can't tell you how the rifle WILL be used if the shit hit the fan, because I don't know how it will or when it will.

Quote:

Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #171
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 08 Raven R1, 97 F3, 94 VMax, 65 CA95, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Fort Wayne is the last liberal bastion city in central Indiana. They have some gun bans on the books even though it's illegal. Some manufacturers won't ship to them for that reason. The UAW has a strong foothold there and it will take time to unseat the bastards.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #172
NoxImus
Tin Foil Hat

We're always having problems with the FWPD and their understanding of the LTCH laws here too.

Quote:

Old 11-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #173
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Quote:
We're always having problems with the FWPD and their understanding of the LTCH laws here too.
Jump on INGO if you want. Great local resource. www.ingunowners.com

One of the guys there has a lawsuit against them for it, he got the policy changed already.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #174
Kangaroo
para bellum

I am nominating this thread for newsletter...

Sig courtesy of SpidermanSS 9-15-09

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #175
NoxImus
Tin Foil Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Jump on INGO if you want. Great local resource. www.ingunowners.com

One of the guys there has a lawsuit against them for it, he got the policy changed already.
Yeah, I've been on there a few times. I wonder, did he happen to be OCing?

Quote:

Old 11-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #176
fjorn
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?

Bikes: '07 R1 (track only)
Haven't read the whole thread, nor do I intend to. Just replying in general to some of the last few responses.

To the OP:

I'm in a similar situation as you. I've been kicking the idea around for a while about wanting an AR. I have fired M16's before, while I was in the Marines so I have some experience. But, that was twenty years ago and have only fired a few AR's since then. I'm going with an AR10 in a 20" barrel and Plain Jane features as it's been so long.

Something like this:
http://www.dpmsinc.com/308-Classic_ep_100-1.html

Not high end, but also not bottom barrel either. I want the 7.62x51 round for hunting as well as long range shooting (I have access to a 1,000 yard range). Nothing serious, just a bit of fun. I could do the 5.56/.223 AR15 instead. But, I want the longer range of a bigger bore for take down. I was looking at a bolt action only for a long time. But, this fills a role the bolt action won't do as well. I'll still get a bolt action in the same round so I don't have to worry about multiple round types.
    • Gawarrior - June 25, 2008
    • bandrews - October 9, 2011
fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #177
Creeping Death
Born Again Patriot

Bikes: 2009 YZF-R1, Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post
Haven't read the whole thread, nor do I intend to. Just replying in general to some of the last few responses.

To the OP:

I'm in a similar situation as you. I've been kicking the idea around for a while about wanting an AR. I have fired M16's before, while I was in the Marines so I have some experience. But, that was twenty years ago and have only fired a few AR's since then. I'm going with an AR10 in a 20" barrel and Plain Jane features as it's been so long.

Something like this:

Not high end, but also not bottom barrel either. I want the 7.62x51 round for hunting as well as long range shooting (I have access to a 1,000 yard range). Nothing serious, just a bit of fun. I could do the 5.56/.223 AR15 instead. But, I want the longer range of a bigger bore for take down. I was looking at a bolt action only for a long time. But, this fills a role the bolt action won't do as well. I'll still get a bolt action in the same round so I don't have to worry about multiple round types.
Get an adjustable gas block, close it off = Bolt Action AR

SIG courtesy of Petrol Spice in care of InkedR1Pilot
Thanks Uncle P!

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli #58 01/20/87 ~ 10/23/11
R.I.P Andre (Twistgrip)
Ride On Brothers...
Creeping Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #178
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Quote:
Yeah, I've been on there a few times. I wonder, did he happen to be OCing?
yes, in the zoo.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #179
fjorn
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?

Bikes: '07 R1 (track only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
Get an adjustable gas block, close it off = Bolt Action AR

• Gawarrior - June 25, 2008
    • bandrews - October 9, 2011
fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #180
NoxImus
Tin Foil Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post

To the OP:

Something like this:

Yeah, its a big purchase, and with some many different features and additons it's almost overwhelming. Most of the guys on here are right, I need to do more looking before jumping into it. I've read through so many different websites these past two days, just thinking about ar15s and 10s makes me nauseated. Lol

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement