raw diet dog question : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
rorytsm
damn turkeys

Bikes: 04 R1
raw diet dog question

what do you guys that do the raw diet use to put the food in? i've just started introducing him to chicken leg quarters (cleaved in half) and it takes him about 45 minutes to eat them since his big teeth are just starting to come in. the problem is that he'll eat it in like 5 different spots so i follow him around with disinfectant spray and a towel until he's done. i resorted to feeding him outside, but with the cold coming on, he doesn't like staying out long enough to finish a full leg quarter (2 pieces). he won't keep the damn things in his oversized bowl to eat them so i'm just seeing what other people are doing or what you would suggest. i'm keeping him on his puppy food, solid gold's hunchen flocken and just augmenting with a leg quarter every day for now. (5.5 months old)
rorytsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Stonewall
ROWDY

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
You could grind it. Would make it easier for him to keep up with. They tend to be messy eaters
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
rorytsm
damn turkeys

Bikes: 04 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
You could grind it. Would make it easier for him to keep up with. They tend to be messy eaters
don't have a grinder and don't want to spend the money on one tbh
rorytsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
CupraR1
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 R1
Chicken bones are bad for dogs, the splinter especially if you chop/cleaver them and get stuck in the dogs throat
CupraR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupraR1 View Post
Chicken bones are bad for dogs, the splinter especially if you chop/cleaver them and get stuck in the dogs throat
That's true only if they're cooked. Raw chicken bones are perfectly fine.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
ss55539
Banned

Bikes: '11 FLHX, 09 YFZ450R, 07 YZ450F, 06 R1 50th
i feed my dogs raw chicken all the time but honestly dont really have any problem. throw them a leg and its gone in a couple snaps

if you have a cleaver you could chop it into smaller pieces
ss55539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Every time we have wings I cut off the wing tips and save them in a baggie, then give them to the hound 2 or 3 at a time for a snack. She loves them. And when we bake a whole chicken, she gets all the liver, heart, gizzard and neck. She'll tear your leg off for that neck. I tease her with it and she can't stand it......she'll jump, circle around, bark, whine, sit down and look at me with her head cocked over and her ears up with that WTF look on her face.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
ss55539
Banned

Bikes: '11 FLHX, 09 YFZ450R, 07 YZ450F, 06 R1 50th

whenever i grill a whole chicken i boil the leftover bones and make a chicken bit type gravy to pour over their dry food as a treat. during the whole process theyre laying in the kitchen drooling and whimpering
ss55539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

A guy at work trapped 2 coons this week and skinned them. Had I been prepared, I would have gotten the meat and processed it up for the dog.

He's gonna trap more, though. We're talking about making his wife a pair of redneck leg warmers with the coon tail at the top/back of the leg warmer, and the coon face at the bottom as a flap covering the top of her foot. This will be worth a million laughs.