HOW TO: Check compression, valves, SYNC throttle bodies, and tune up. - Page 5 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

How To's Please post your detailed How To's threads in here. They'll be of big help to owners of the R1.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #81
Kangaroo
para bellum

saves me from making a new how-to...

Sig courtesy of SpidermanSS 9-15-09

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #82
Curby
Derka Derka Doit For The R1!

Bikes: 2005 Blue R1, 2004 CRF 50(88 now)
It was a lot of work, but well worth it!

BTW, when you doing a how-to for tearing down a 04-06 motor? I can't wait for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo View Post
saves me from making a new how-to...

Old 03-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #83
Kangaroo
para bellum

Funny you mention that, I have one in the garage right now that needs a rebuild...

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Old 03-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #84
FUR-BURGER
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

how much does a valve job cost if you take it to a shop?
FUR-BURGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #85
Kangaroo
para bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUR-BURGER View Post
how much does a valve job cost if you take it to a shop?
depends on the shop. local economy, dealer vs private, trustable or not...

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Old 05-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #86
2WEELFERRUM04
STFU and ride!!

Bikes: '04 R1 Track-'07 R1
good stuff
thank you for all the work
lots to read here and learn

2WEELFERRUM04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #87
Curby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo View Post
depends on the shop. local economy, dealer vs private, trustable or not...
I agree, but the most favorable one is the trustable. Find a good mechanic that does the right job and isn't a hack is most important, well to me anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WEELFERRUM04 View Post
good stuff
thank you for all the work
lots to read here and learn
Glad I can help.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:21 AM   #88
speed_junke
My R1 is wrecked :(

Bikes: 05 R1& 08 GSXR 1k
Help the link to the manual doesnt work anymore. Does anyone have another link?
speed_junke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:27 AM   #89
dmaxr1

Thanks for the post, 2 questions

1. I've started the teardown so if I do a compression test now, it will be with a cold engine, how important is it that the engine is warm?

2. Why does the manual say to remove the throttle body but you say it isn't necessary? What is the issue with the throttle body? Will it be difficult/impossible to reach the intakes? with the throttle bodies still there? That is where I got stuck last night because I couldn't find an allen wrench to fit the intake manifold clamps...stopped at Princess A on my way to work to buy more

I know, that was more than two questions, sorry.
dmaxr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #90
Curby

Sorry about the delay, i see this was posted a couple weeks ago. But I'll try to help out anyways.

1. If you already started the tear down, you can do a compression test regardless. I recommend doing a compression test on a warm engine to ensure everything internally is well lubricated with oil, and to get the most accurate results while performing the test.

2. Sometimes service manuals give you the most difficult routes to take while working on a piece of equipment. Removing and reinstalling the throttle bodies can be a PITA. But removing the side fairing, and lowering the radiator offers ample room to work with, and a clear line of sight of all the valves.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxr1 View Post
1. I've started the teardown so if I do a compression test now, it will be with a cold engine, how important is it that the engine is warm?

2. Why does the manual say to remove the throttle body but you say it isn't necessary? What is the issue with the throttle body? Will it be difficult/impossible to reach the intakes? with the throttle bodies still there? That is where I got stuck last night because I couldn't find an allen wrench to fit the intake manifold clamps...stopped at Princess A on my way to work to buy more

I know, that was more than two questions, sorry.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #91
dmaxr1

So I did encounter 1 problem...mine is an 03 and the procedure is pretty much the same. However on the 03, the motor is much more "in" the frame than on the 04. Getting the valve cover back on with the gasket in place took a lot of wiggling, patience and swearing . I thought that removing the throttle bodies would help, but it didn't. The key was carefully removing the wire ties that are mounted inside the frame. Remove them with care and they can be reused. With those out of the way, the valve cover will fit back into place.
dmaxr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #92
HouseForsaken
I eat my R1

Bikes: 83 GS650L(Sold): 85 Interceptor 700(Sold): 97 FZR (Sold): 2006 R1
Thanks for all the write-ups!
Mods: PCIII USB, Boz Brothers Exhaust, Custom LED integrated tail, DDM 6000K 55 Watt HID's, Speedo DRD healer, Factory Pro Velocity Stacks, Gutted Cat, Custom tune by Robs Dyno Service! Watsen Flushies, Joe Florida LED kit, ASV C5's, D3 Grips.
HouseForsaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #93
Silas
What's a motorcycle?

Bikes: R1, in fastest blue
I recognize that this is a fairly old thread, but I just want to offer my thanks as I'll be executing a valve clearance adjustment and throttle body sync shortly. Your guide is going to be invaluable to me in that endeavor.

Thank you!!!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #94
Silas
What's a motorcycle?

Quick question: I'm about to tackle this job, but it's fairly obvious to me that if one needs to replace shims to adjust valve clearances, the cam shaft(s) will need to be removed. Do you have any EDU steps on this process, mostly to ensure that I do not reinstall incorrectly (out of timing)?

With ~40,000 miles and counting, I'm guessing my valves will, in fact, be out of spec. Also, while I'm in there, should I replace the timing chain? I guess it makes sense if I'm that far into the motor, but I'd rather not have to deal with it if it's not critical at this mileage. The Service Manual is nonspecific about this, so I'm guessing it's fine to not replace it?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #95
Curby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxr1 View Post
So I did encounter 1 problem...mine is an 03 and the procedure is pretty much the same. However on the 03, the motor is much more "in" the frame than on the 04. Getting the valve cover back on with the gasket in place took a lot of wiggling, patience and swearing . I thought that removing the throttle bodies would help, but it didn't. The key was carefully removing the wire ties that are mounted inside the frame. Remove them with care and they can be reused. With those out of the way, the valve cover will fit back into place.
Yeah, sometimes patience and dropping f-bombs will help conquer a task. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseForsaken View Post
Thanks for all the write-ups!
Glad I could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas View Post
I recognize that this is a fairly old thread, but I just want to offer my thanks as I'll be executing a valve clearance adjustment and throttle body sync shortly. Your guide is going to be invaluable to me in that endeavor.

Thank you!!!
Glad I could help.

Quote:
Quick question: I'm about to tackle this job, but it's fairly obvious to me that if one needs to replace shims to adjust valve clearances, the cam shaft(s) will need to be removed. Do you have any EDU steps on this process, mostly to ensure that I do not reinstall incorrectly (out of timing)?

With ~40,000 miles and counting, I'm guessing my valves will, in fact, be out of spec. Also, while I'm in there, should I replace the timing chain? I guess it makes sense if I'm that far into the motor, but I'd rather not have to deal with it if it's not critical at this mileage. The Service Manual is nonspecific about this, so I'm guessing it's fine to not replace it?
Unfortunately I cannot personally offer any experience on shimming the valves. But I would say regardless of mileage, if you were to discover a valve(s) out of spec, then consult the service manual for which size shim to purchase and install.

The best advice I can offer is taking your time when taking on this task. Especially using the feeler gauges to get an accurate reading to determine what size shim to use.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #96
Silas
What's a motorcycle?

Thanks for the response. One other question; is there any reason you can think of why regular old motor oil wouldn't work in the homemade manometer? I built one this afternoon, but the only thing I have handy is some 10w50 motor oil. Sure, I can go buy a bottle of ATF, but it seems like a waste when I have this stuff sitting here. And I can't imagine why it'd make any difference.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #97
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets

Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Quote:

The cams have timing marks on them that line up with arrows on the cam caps (when at TDC). The lower sprocket on the timing chain (under the side case cover) also has a mark that lines up with the split line in the cases.

If you line up all of those items it should be "timed" correctly.
Check it by turning the motor forward slowly by hand a few times and re checking the alignment.

I hope that addresses the question you were asking.

It wouldn't hurt a thing to replace the timing chain but I've not heard of a great deal of them failing either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #98
Rhynocerus
My R1 Ra Run Run My R1 Run Run

Bikes: 2008 R1
Holy frakkkkkk thats a write up! Didnt notice it years ago. Amazing job bro!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #99
Curby

Quote:
Thanks for the response. One other question; is there any reason you can think of why regular old motor oil wouldn't work in the homemade manometer? I built one this afternoon, but the only thing I have handy is some 10w50 motor oil. Sure, I can go buy a bottle of ATF, but it seems like a waste when I have this stuff sitting here. And I can't imagine why it'd make any difference.
I wouldn't use motor oil for a number of reasons. The main ones being oil, which has a higher viscosity than water or mercury. Which will cause it to "stick" easier, thus giving an inaccurate result. And oil will absorb air bubbles much easier, and retain them.

Water with some form of dye in it would be best for a homemade manometer. Mercury is toxic, and a real pain to get air bubbles out of the manometer.

Last bit of information regarding a manometer. DO NOT rev the engine excessively. If you grab a handful of throttle, you risk sucking the manometer fluid into the engine.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhynocerus View Post
Holy frakkkkkk thats a write up! Didnt notice it years ago. Amazing job bro!
Thanks buddy.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #100
r1Totzauer
blue blurrrr go zoom

Bikes: 07 r1
subscribed

Ridin' like tomorrow isnt promised

07 R1:
Blue puig windscreen, Two brothers slip ons, -1 +2 sprockets, Blue stealth rear sprocket, Blue EK chain, CNC cut R1 heel guards, Hot bodies flush mount turn signals, Blue axle blocks, Blue rear hugger, Puig chain guard, Blue R1 rims, R1 Progrips, shogun frame sliders, carbon fiber mirror block offs
r1Totzauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement