Hurricane Sandy Flooding - Advice needed : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
imaninja
Everythings better in the wind

Bikes: 2006 Yamaha YZF R1
Hurricane Sandy Flooding - Advice needed

Hi,

I hope that most forum members were safe and more fortunate than me and didn't suffer the wrath of Hurricane Sandy, or were able to recover quickly.

My house was flooded that night and I'm slowly recovering from it. It is quite an intensive experience, both physically and emotionally.

I reach out to my forum brothers and sisters for some advice today - my R1 was in the garage along with my car - a 2008 Honda Civic, when the water came in. The water level in the garage rose up about 1.5 feet. The front tire was not completely submerged even, exhaust was far above. The water stayed an hour and a half to two hours before it left.

The next morning I brought out the hose and rinsed the motorcycle down with fresh water. Hesitatingly, I put the key in the ignition and turned it, everything came on as expected. I hit the starter and she came to life without a second thought, like nothing ever happened.

I peeked through the oil window and it looked ok. I shut the bike off in under 2 minutes just to be safe in case water had entered done other critical component. In hindsight, maybe I should never have risked starting it without professional opinion first.

Although, the fact that the water did come up so high as to cover the gear selector, is making me nervous. What should be the following course of maintenance/repair here on forth in my case? Change oil? Flush coolant? Chain? Brakes?

I would appreciate all the advice I can get. Thanks in advance. Ride safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
Guate
♠♣♦♥★

Bikes: 13 RSV4---09 R6
Your bike should be okay, the water didn't reach any critical components, I would just change the engine oil, clean the chain, lube it, etc, do your regular maintenance, sorry to hear about your house tho, wish you guys a fast recovery.
Guate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Saphexus
You don't impress me.

Bikes: 2011 Raven
I'd let it sit outside for a day or two, just to dry off completely, and I'd go get professional help. If you're willing to spend the bucks, have a mechanic tear into it and look for anything, anything at all that could be wrong. The only thing I can think of (and I'm no expert) is that you might have some kind of sediment deposit somewhere, although you did rinse it off, you never know.

Good luck brother, and I hope you get back on your feet soon.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
R1nStang
Owner of the color changing R1

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
im sure its fine. my bike goes thru the rain and sits in heavy thunderstorms on those days i dont watch the weather and ride to work i would only be a little worried if you had a low mount exhaust on it. other then that. just stripe the plastics off check for any standing water left anywhere clean the chain up and ride.

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Yoshi TRC-D slip-ons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, ECUnleashed with Race Idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO View Post
my anus is just swollen.. Shut it!!!
R1nStang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
franikk
USMC/0369 1986-2008

Bikes: 2002 R1 / 2004 R6
When you change the oil, look at the oil to see if it has any grey in it. If not then the internals are good. If so, then I would advise to flush and change the clutch plates out. Also change your air filter especially if its a paper filter. It will hold moisture and mold!

As for the electronics, pull the connections and clean if necessary and take the opportunity to dab some dielectric grease on the connections.

CCS#326

franikk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
shhaker
over da hump.....

Bikes: 2004 R1//2007 GSX-R600 sold, 2012 Aprilia RSV4 FACTORY
your bike is fine. look thru the oil window if its not a milky color no water got in. there are seals to keep the fuilds in. and stuff out. as long as your oil isnt milky, you got lucky and you should be fine!!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
I would recommend greasing wheel bearings and swingarm pivot bearings and shock/swingarm linkage pivots, flood the chain (in sections)with WD40 and holding a rag under section being sprayed to keep from making a mess. Water will sit in all of the bearings, killing the grease and rusting the balls or rollers. Especially salt water. Grease the bearings, or they will need to be replaced.
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
quick kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Saphexus
You don't impress me.

Bikes: 2011 Raven
Sheesh, that's it? These bikes are more durable than I thought...
Old 11-18-2012, 03:16 AM   #9
Keefus
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2009 R1, 2010 BMW F800GS, 2011 ZedX6R
If the brakes were in water, change them!
Keefus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:26 AM   #10
rorlow
Cheating death in the "D"

Bikes: Silver/Gray 02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefus View Post
If the brakes were in water, change them!
OMG . . . reeree

rorlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement