selling the r1 to invest in a hot rod. : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

Old 11-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
juiced gt
Blue, you're my boy!

Bikes: 07 Red R1
selling the r1 to invest in a hot rod.

ive been debating with myself for years. an internal struggle. after 3 wrecks(the first leading to a life flight) i can honestly say i have a vehicle that can take me to limits on the street that i would and do constantly push with every ride. there is nothing wrong with a motorcycle like the r1 to be engineered. the problem is that i own one and cant keep from pushing her to the limit on the street. it is not only a danger to others on the street but my loved ones who depend on me financially. i need to remove myself from the biking world. it will be hard seeing as how i came up on 2 wheels. i came up in the 90's with the freestyle mountain biking world. that was my start. i will miss 2 wheels but i wont be satisfied until i can swing a 30's ford with a chop top and a nasty pre-70 motor. this is my new direction in life. can someone steer me in the right direction?
juiced gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
Saphexus
You don't impress me.

Bikes: 2011 Raven
In the end, you're the one who has to put on your big boy pants and do what needs to be done. Nobody else is gonna do it for you. We all understand the risks and choose to ride, and that's just how it is. Nothing wrong with this decision. It just means you're willing to make that sacrifice for your family.

And hey, it's not like you're letting go entirely, right? I mean, you've obviously still got the need for speed, just now it's four wheels instead of two. Wish I knew somebody with an old car like that that could sell it to ya.

Good luck, bro.
Big boy pants. What a burden.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
juiced gt
Blue, you're my boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphexus View Post
In the end, you're the one who has to put on your big boy pants and do what needs to be done. Nobody else is gonna do it for you. We all understand the risks and choose to ride, and that's just how it is. Nothing wrong with this decision. It just means you're willing to make that sacrifice for your family.

And hey, it's not like you're letting go entirely, right? I mean, you've obviously still got the need for speed, just now it's four wheels instead of two. Wish I knew somebody with an old car like that that could sell it to ya.

Good luck, bro.
Big boy pants. What a burden.
didnt expect someone to put it so eloquently. thats what i needed to hear.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
juiced gt
Blue, you're my boy!

its a tough decision but when i look at the odds, i lose on a bike. everything comes to an end. id rather give up my riding than give up seeing my nieces and nephew grow up. its time i hang it up. i had fun for 10 years but it is over.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
Petrol_Spice
Seņor Citizen

Bikes: Speedoodle!
Do one trackday then make the decision..

Tact was created by those lacking the mental dexterity for sarcasm. ~ Petrol_Spice

Petrol_Spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #6
hawk71
Viva La Figa

Bikes: 03 Liquid Silver
So you don't think of them before you throw a leg over the bike and intentionally endanger yourself and others on the street just because you have a bike that can perform?? What about the others around you on the street? What about their loved ones, nephews and nieces? What's to say you won't do the same with your hot rod? Bigger vehicle = more damage if you lose it.

Keep the bike. And like Petrol said....take it to the track. You'll change your mind about street riding.

"No. You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."~Marco Simoncelli

R1-016 `Venom` Squadron

NESBA #71
hawk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:25 AM   #7
DouglasyzfR1
Sir Douglas

Bikes: 03 R6- Bike Heaven 03 R1- Sold 08 R1- Current
Each one of us that have loved ones has to make this choice. In the end you make the best decision for you, sounds like you have a good reason for selling the bike if you can't tame it down on the street. Best of luck to you!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #8
T.C.
Bourbon is my blood

Bikes: 2002 R1, 2009 KTM RC8, 1980 FLH Harley, 1993 Suzuki Rmx 250, 1979 CB900f(modified), 1980 Kawasaki KX125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol_Spice View Post
Do one trackday then make the decision..

Sig by Uncle P.

Cal meh anj alcholic all yoo want. I will not memba in the morning, or the next day.

My '02 R1 thread.. http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343172
T.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
Slvr04r1
Rubber side down

Bikes: 2009 r6 2010 r6 2007 R6 2004 R1 2010 R1 Ben spies 2006 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk71 View Post
So you don't think of them before you throw a leg over the bike and intentionally endanger yourself and others on the street just because you have a bike that can perform?? What about the others around you on the street? What about their loved ones, nephews and nieces? What's to say you won't do the same with your hot rod? Bigger vehicle = more damage if you lose it.

Keep the bike. And like Petrol said....take it to the track. You'll change your mind about street riding.
My thoughts exactly
Old 11-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
stop2think
I eat my R1

Made the same decision about 7yrs ago after I was ran into a ditch by a truck that didn't see me, and then took off. Promised my mom and GF that I wouldn't ride on the street anymore. A year later I spent 5 months in a PT office after a really bad crash on the track left me with a severely tilted pelvic bone and broken clavicle(among other things). Hung up my helmet for good. It was affecting my personal relationships and also my ability to do the other things which I loved(powerlifting, triathlons, other sports).

I miss it badly sometimes, but my GF and mom like me in one piece and my retirement portfolio looks a heck of a lot better without the tens of thousands I was spending annually on new bikes, gear, trackdays, and fixing myself after crashes.
stop2think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
fjorn
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?

Bikes: '07 R1 (track only)
It's all in what you want to do. If you feel that it's the right decision for you, follow it. No one can tell you what, or how, to make up your mind. Some might not agree with you (I've nearly hung up motorcycles twice due to different events). But, it's what comes from you and makes you happy.

Best to you on your decisions.
    • Gawarrior - June 25, 2008
    • bandrews - October 9, 2011
fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
Jeff
Drinking Colt 45's with Lando

Bikes: I drive a bucket
I know EXACTLY what you are going through.

Probably about 8 years ago i quit street riding all toghter and just did track days / drag racing with my R1. Yes it was the funnest time I have had on 2 wheels. BUT with crashing inevitable, missing the ground pounding feel of a v8, and a prego wife watching my try to break my neck on the track I decided to hang it up.

6 years ago I bought my malibu, 1 day later Samantha was born.

I wanted something we could all enjoy. Something we could take to get a burger and still go to the strip and fly. Something with 4 walls.

I miss riding ALL THE TIME and strangely my car is possibly more dangerous than a bike, but the point is. I am alive, one of my dear friends is not. I literally cry everytime I think of him or his daughters. My kids love the car, and it is radical enough to keep me interested. SHIOT AIN'T CHEAP though I'll tell you that. I have no regrets giving up riding even though it was easily the best time of my life. Goodriddance and I had some really good times on 2 wheels.

My only mistake was building one too silly. Too much converter and compression to be usable at all. Should have went low comp and either way more cubees or forced induction. 13.4:1 and a fogger is not a street friendly plan.

"Harleys are the most effect machine at turning gas into noise without the side effect of horsepower" --Ruptured Duc 6/5/07

"Honestly, I've liked drinking beer since the 8th grade. I wish I didn't like it as much as I do, but hey, at least I'm not shooting heroin." --Moonlighter

Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
BlackShadow
Need $ for bike parts

Bikes: 2011 R1, and all the bikes I wish i had
I think family pressures have gotten to you. If you have the desire to ride than ride. Like everyone is saying, do a track day or get a cruiser if you like being on two wheels. Your choice. Yeah, my wife gives me crap all the time to be safe. But is exciting to find where my limits and the bike's limits are at. Just do a coin toss and be done with it.

Sig by Uncle P

I wish my Dad was alive to see some of the crazy shit I do. RIP Pops
BlackShadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced gt View Post
ive been debating with myself for years. an internal struggle. after 3 wrecks(the first leading to a life flight) i can honestly say i have a vehicle that can take me to limits on the street that i would and do constantly push with every ride. there is nothing wrong with a motorcycle like the r1 to be engineered. the problem is that i own one and cant keep from pushing her to the limit on the street. it is not only a danger to others on the street but my loved ones who depend on me financially. i need to remove myself from the biking world. it will be hard seeing as how i came up on 2 wheels. i came up in the 90's with the freestyle mountain biking world. that was my start. i will miss 2 wheels but i wont be satisfied until i can swing a 30's ford with a chop top and a nasty pre-70 motor. this is my new direction in life. can someone steer me in the right direction?
Care to share your vision? 30's shine runner? rat rod? Street rod? Gasser?

I'd love to build something like a 40 Chevy, all gloss black with steel wheels, stock interior, stock stance, with a 540 hiding under the hood. Period correct tires and everything. Tommy gun under the dash board, case of shine in the truck.... lol man would that be fun.

"Harleys are the most effect machine at turning gas into noise without the side effect of horsepower" --Ruptured Duc 6/5/07

"Honestly, I've liked drinking beer since the 8th grade. I wish I didn't like it as much as I do, but hey, at least I'm not shooting heroin." --Moonlighter

Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
BlackShadow
Need $ for bike parts

Bikes: 2011 R1, and all the bikes I wish i had
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I know EXACTLY what you are going through.

Probably about 8 years ago i quit street riding all toghter and just did track days / drag racing with my R1. Yes it was the funnest time I have had on 2 wheels. BUT with crashing inevitable, missing the ground pounding feel of a v8, and a prego wife watching my try to break my neck on the track I decided to hang it up.

6 years ago I bought my malibu, 1 day later Samantha was born.

I wanted something we could all enjoy. Something we could take to get a burger and still go to the strip and fly. Something with 4 walls.

I miss riding ALL THE TIME and strangely my car is possibly more dangerous than a bike, but the point is. I am alive, one of my dear friends is not. I literally cry everytime I think of him or his daughters. My kids love the car, and it is radical enough to keep me interested. SHIOT AIN'T CHEAP though I'll tell you that. I have no regrets giving up riding even though it was easily the best time of my life. Goodriddance and I had some really good times on 2 wheels.

My only mistake was building one too silly. Too much converter and compression to be usable at all. Should have went low comp and either way more cubees or forced induction. 13.4:1 and a fogger is not a street friendly plan.
6 years and no bike?! I can barely make through the off season. But I hear ya. My wife wants a boat, something we all can enjoy, I see it as cutting into my riding time.

Sig by Uncle P

I wish my Dad was alive to see some of the crazy shit I do. RIP Pops
BlackShadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShadow View Post
6 years and no bike?! I can barely make through the off season. But I hear ya. My wife wants a boat, something we all can enjoy, I see it as cutting into my riding time.
I can do still do wheelies, so that helps ease the pain.

I suggested a boat to the wife once, she yelled at me and said why would you buy a boat to go swimmng? Buy a pool I'm not getting in that river. lol

Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
Saphexus
You don't impress me.

Bikes: 2011 Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I can do still do wheelies, so that helps ease the pain.

I suggested a boat to the wife once, she yelled at me and said why would you buy a boat to go swimmng? Buy a pool I'm not getting in that river. lol
Old 11-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #18
da rza
I eat my R1

Bikes: 07 r1 charcoal/blk
you guys should help me unload some of my toys! got a eliminator boat,1932 ford roadster,and a 54 chevy...need room to start on 38 lincoln zephr!..all 3 are for sale! pm me if you are intrested....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone pix 021.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	477074   Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone pix 026.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	477075   Click image for larger version

Name:	32 roadster 018.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	477077   Click image for larger version

Name:	32 roadster 012.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	477078   Click image for larger version

Name:	lake 002.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	477079  

Name:	lake 018.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	477080  
Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
da rza
I eat my R1

Bikes: 07 r1 charcoal/blk
also have a superduty truck as well for sale!..bad market right now...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	32and 4x4 032.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	477084   Click image for larger version

Name:	32and 4x4 029.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	477085   Click image for larger version

Name:	32and 4x4 030.JPG
Views:	20