Mechanically Retarded - Fitting Sato Rearsets 2010 R1 - Page 2 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 10-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #21
SlowR1Rider
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: Pearl White 2010 R1
Yeah your Rizomas seem to bolt on to the same location as the stock shifter, the Sato's don't (unfortunately).
SlowR1Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #22
desire68
My R1 thinks she's a Twin

Bikes: 01R1 Champion Limited Edition #187(SOLD) 2012 R1 WGP 50th Anniversary No#0095
Cant believe how much time i just wasted today trying to fit these Sato Rear sets to my 12. Why oh why would Sato use a main fram bolt as a pivot for the shift weight? How on Gods green earth are you supposed to remove that bolt and then place it back in from the rear?? Will the shop even know what to do with this?? I wish i had just taken advantage of Motomummy's Gilles rearsets blow out and gone for a set of them instead. I had Satos on my 01 and they were EASY to fit! So ticked right now, I just put everything back and covered up the bike as i dont even want to see her! I even broke a hex key that i had never even used before on that frame bolt! WHY SATO WHY???

Petrol Spice, You Da MAN!!!

WGP 50th Anniversary #95 Akrapovic carbon cans,Akrapovic Ti Y pipe,Watsen flush mounts,ASV leavers,Driven preload adjusters,Rizoma track-77 signals, Puig fender eliminator,Puig DB screen,Driven spools,Harris clear tank pad,Graves clutch kit, Driven 520 kit,Gilles Ti axle nut,Gilles TCA-GP chain adjusters,Driven sprocket nuts, Sato rearsets,GYTR no cut frame sliders,Goodridge SS lines,ECUnleashed tune
desire68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #23
CARBONAR1
90% INDESTRUCTABLE

Bikes: 06 R1R - 01 R1 hybrid - 06 Gixxer 1000 trackbike, 06 FZ6N - 96 FailBladder cadaver
But are they beautiful, Mike?....

FASTER AND FASTER 'TILL THE THRILL OF SPEED OVERCOMES THE FEAR OF DEATH

-HUNTER S. THOMPSON .................................................. ............................................sig by PETROL_SPICE
CARBONAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #24
desire68

Bikes: 01R1 Champion Limited Edition #187(SOLD) 2012 R1 WGP 50th Anniversary No#0095
Not while there in the box there not Ben. Man i'm so ticked! Why didn't i go for the gilles or even the Rizoma's. Ben even if i could get the bolt out(which i'm sure a shop could) i cant see any way that it can be refitted from the back of that same hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARBONAR1 View Post
But are they beautiful, Mike?....

WGP 50th Anniversary #95 Akrapovic carbon cans,Akrapovic Ti Y pipe,Watsen flush mounts,ASV leavers,Driven preload adjusters,Rizoma track-77 signals, Puig fender eliminator,Puig DB screen,Driven spools,Harris clear tank pad,Graves clutch kit, Driven 520 kit,Gilles Ti axle nut,Gilles TCA-GP chain adjusters,Driven sprocket nuts, Sato rearsets,GYTR no cut frame sliders,Goodridge SS lines,ECUnleashed tune
Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #25
My Dog Ziggy
I eat my R1

Bikes: 1974 Honda XL70 (Orange), 2005 & 2010 Yamaha R1's (Blue)
It's really not as bad as you think. If you look on the right side of the bike (rear brake side), you will see the nut that is attached to the long bolt. This is the lower motor mount bolt. Once you remove the nut, slide the bolt out of the hole and insert it from the right side of the bike (I didn't have any problems with the motor shifting when I did mine). Then attach the round part from the rearset instead of the nut. The reason Sato does it this way is so you can remove the kickstand and the attachment bracket (for the racers out there). With the stock rearsets and other aftermarket brands, you have to leave the kickstand attachment bracket in place. I hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #26
desire68

That has helped A LOT! Thanks. I was trying to undo the bolt from the outside(hex key) side and broke the hex key! I didn't know that there was a nut on the other side and i didn't realize that this is a LONG bolt which goes from one side of the bike to the other. I may go and try it again in a couple of days but i'm still licking my wounds right now lol!
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dog Ziggy View Post
It's really not as bad as you think. If you look on the right side of the bike (rear brake side), you will see the nut that is attached to the long bolt. This is the lower motor mount bolt. Once you remove the nut, slide the bolt out of the hole and insert it from the right side of the bike (I didn't have any problems with the motor shifting when I did mine). Then attach the round part from the rearset instead of the nut. The reason Sato does it this way is so you can remove the kickstand and the attachment bracket (for the racers out there). With the stock rearsets and other aftermarket brands, you have to leave the kickstand attachment bracket in place. I hope this helps.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #27
My Dog Ziggy
I eat my R1

I didn't realize it was that way until I loosed it. It's tight, so just be prepared.
To remove the brake light switch, first unplug it, then slide the plug through the opening above the clutch cover (the open area just above the oil filler cap). Then work the wires back and down between the engine and frame. It's a tight fit, but with patience they will come out. That's how you remove the O2 sensor too.
If you plan to use the pressure switch that comes with the rearsets, you'll need to clip the wires and attach them to the wires on the switch. When you install the switch on the master cylinder, you have to bleed the rear brakes.
Good luck with the install.

Last edited by My Dog Ziggy; 11-18-2012 at 07:51 PM.
My Dog Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #28
desire68

Thanks again man, i'm gonna go and look at the brake side now to see which nut it is. I totally missed this, It would have been great to have had this in the instructions!
Mike

Quote:
I didn't realize it was that way until I loosed it. It's tight, so just be prepared. Good luck with the install.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #29
CARBONAR1
90% INDESTRUCTABLE

Bikes: 06 R1R - 01 R1 hybrid - 06 Gixxer 1000 trackbike, 06 FZ6N - 96 FailBladder cadaver
Good work Ziggy, good luck Mike! I hope you get them sorted.

FASTER AND FASTER 'TILL THE THRILL OF SPEED OVERCOMES THE FEAR OF DEATH

-HUNTER S. THOMPSON .................................................. ............................................sig by PETROL_SPICE
CARBONAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #30
desire68

You guys are AWESOME, i'll get it done and post pics. I just got my ECUnleashed and Y pipe and it's been raining constantly all weekend so i havent even had a chance to try the bike yet! I thought i'd make use of the time and fit some of my parts but this whole weekend went to crap and i should have just stayed on the couch with a brandy and some movies!
Mike

Old 10-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #31
Biscuit
My R1 eats me usually.

Bikes: 2012 R1
I have to thank Ziggy too... even though it was almost 12 months ago!

I was absolutely stuffed trying to install the shifter pivot until I found this post.

The instructions definatly need some clarification
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #32
desire68

Yeah Ziggy helped me out a TON here! It's because of him why i didn't just abandon the whole install lol. Cheers again Ziggy.
Mike

Old 10-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #33
My Dog Ziggy
I eat my R1

I'm glad it worked out well for you guys.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #34
burn-z
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1
Quote:
I'm glad it worked out well for you guys.
Hey Robby. How have you been? PM inbound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Radley View Post
The full factory backed superbike r1's don't make 200bhp so its not happening here. 180 is pretty good, 185+ is exceptional. All this talk of 200+ is just horseshit
burn-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement