2012 R1 Ohlins Damper? : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 11-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
peterj59
R1 Dominates

Bikes: Yamaha 2012 R1
2012 R1 Ohlins Damper?

heard that the OEM r1 steering damper isnt good and should be replaced
so going to the various websites i notice they come in different stroke lengths like 63, 68 90 and 120mm.

question is which do i get form my bike??
peterj59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Kevap
I'm the angry mod! LOL

Bikes: 00 R1 Sold, 05 R1 Sold, 10 Black R1, 15 R1 NEXT!
You buy this one......

https://www.motomummy.com/ohlins/ohl...-oem-location/

sig pic courtesy of THE GODFATHER!

Greenstreak quote from Baber... "Woah... I have a log in my ass!"

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
TEAM: SO SCARED NO LEAN

Godspeed to my fallen brothers - elviswarrior, Gawarrior, Vman1300
Kevap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
gsxcorey
MummyMan

Bikes: 1999 r1, 07 GSXR 1k
Yes, just get that and you'll get the correct Ohlins damper for your bike model. It comes with the resister as well. If you have any questions just shoot me a pm.

Check us out on Facebook too.
gsxcorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
peterj59
R1 Dominates

is it a tough install to remove the oem damper and install the ohlins.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
SamusR1
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2012 R1 Matte Grey/Black
What are the benefits of replacing the electronic, automatic one with a manually set one?
SamusR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
gsxcorey
MummyMan

It's super easy to replace the oem damper. If you can change your oil you can swap the damper.

Most of the oem electronic ones suck as they are mass produced and cheap. They just don't always keep your front end smooth and at times won't stop headshake. However, with good suspension set up you may never have an issue.

The Ohlins unit is bulletproof though. We haven't had anyone with a quality issue at all. There is reason most every pro goes with Ohlins If you ride in hard enough conditions or push hard enough to warrant the use of a damper then you'll notice the difference between the oem one and the Ohlins.

However, most importantly is making sure your suspension is set up. A damper shouldn't be used to mask another issue your bike is having (if you have front end issues).

Old 11-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
SamusR1
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2012 R1 Matte Grey/Black
Thanks Gsxcorey. Does the electronic one change settings based on variables like speed? With the manual one, would you just have to set it for a particular condition?
SamusR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
gsxcorey
MummyMan

that's the theory, but they are pretty worthless at it to be honest. You can swap the oil out in it and make it a little bit better, but it's still a very low end damper.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
playero_loko
ARMY's Finest!

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha R1, 2011 Yamaha R1, traded in 2009 Aprilia RSV 1000R, sold 2006 CBR 600RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey View Post
Most of the oem electronic ones suck as they are mass produced and cheap.
isnt ohlins dampers massed produced as well?!
playero_loko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
gsxcorey
MummyMan

You're missing the second part (and cheap). Also the high end aftermarket ones are not mass produced to even 1/500th of bike sales. Their oem models on the kawi's are lower quality and mass produced and cheap though. Their high end aftermarket ones are done in much smaller quantities, tolerances are better, better dampening, etc. Night and day difference with the ohlins oem stuff and their aftermarket stuff. The damper he's looking at on our website is their aftermarket/high end version though.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
playero_loko
ARMY's Finest!

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha R1, 2011 Yamaha R1, traded in 2009 Aprilia RSV 1000R, sold 2006 CBR 600RR
Quote:
You're missing the second part (and cheap). Also the high end aftermarket ones are not mass produced to even 1/500th of bike sales. Their oem models on the kawi's are lower quality and mass produced and cheap though. Their high end aftermarket ones are done in much smaller quantities, tolerances are better, better dampening, etc. Night and day difference with the ohlins oem stuff and their aftermarket stuff. The damper he's looking at on our website is their aftermarket/high end version though.
im not missing the point, look for instance if the ohlins damper has change for the lst 7-10 years at all??? it is the very same style and body... very minor adjustments if any so to say that they're "better" because they're being mass produced in smaller quantities isnt saying that the product should be better!

remember that not only do they have the same body & style for all bikes the only thing that changes is the mounting points but other than that, you couldnt tell the damper from my old 2009 aprilia rsv from any 2005 kawasaki 10zxr!!!

can you possibly tell the difference from a off the shelf ohlins damper and a "mass production" one???
Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
BlackShadow
Need $ for bike parts

Bikes: 2011 R1, and all the bikes I wish i had
Does it come in black?!!!

Sig by Uncle P

I wish my Dad was alive to see some of the crazy shit I do. RIP Pops
BlackShadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
gsxcorey
MummyMan

Yes, the kawi guys can tell the difference between the oem ones and the aftermarket ones. Now you can send your oem one in and have it rebuilt and it would be very close to the aftermarket one and then it would be hard to tell as it would be very close to the aftermarket model. The oem ones though on average suck if they ever should be needed or you want to dial in the settings on it.

On the oem ones there is an open bleed hole for the oil to bypass through so even all the way closed oil can get through. This makes it super hard to dial in to where you want it as well. On the aftermarket ones when it's closed it's 100% closed. For the track the oem ones suck horribly and are not recommend by Ohlins even. You don't have true resistance with that open bleed hole. For the street it may be okay depending on how you ride, but there is a huge difference between the two in terms of performance. The outside looks of them doesn't matter or affect performance. It's the internal valving, bleed holes, and set up that make the damper.

Now granted, with proper set up rarely do you need a damper. I've only had headshake a few times out of the thousands of miles i've ridden. With proper set up they are rarely needed, but it's like a helmet...when you need it...you really need it. I've had and oem damper do very little to stop headshake before. I didn't get it super bad due to the damper, but it still shook the front end much worse then i've ever had with an aftermarket ohlins or scott's product In fact I've never had one issue when running the Ohlins or Scott's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playero_loko View Post
im not missing the point, look for instance if the ohlins damper has change for the lst 7-10 years at all??? it is the very same style and body... very minor adjustments if any so to say that they're "better" because they're being mass produced in smaller quantities isnt saying that the product should be better!

remember that not only do they have the same body & style for all bikes the only thing that changes is the mounting points but other than that, you couldnt tell the damper from my old 2009 aprilia rsv from any 2005 kawasaki 10zxr!!!

can you possibly tell the difference from a off the shelf ohlins damper and a "mass production" one???

Last edited by gsxcorey; 11-19-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
gsxcorey
MummyMan

Ohlins just produces them in the one color. However, it goes under the nose of your bike so it's not visible anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShadow View Post
Does it come in black?!!!

Old 11-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
BlackShadow
Need $ for bike parts

Quote:
Ohlins just produces them in the one color. However, it goes under the nose of your bike so it's not visible anyway.
I understand where it goes. I just want everything black. I guess I can always paint it.

Sig by Uncle P

Old 11-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #16
playero_loko
ARMY's Finest!

Quote:
I just want everything black.
thats what she said!!! sorry but you left that wide open!!!

Quote:
I guess I can always paint it.
should also change that helmet if the one on your sig is the one youre still earingif youre trying to go all black... fyi
Old 11-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #17
BlackShadow
Need $ for bike parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by playero_loko View Post
thats what she said!!! sorry but you left that wide open!!! I guess I did.

should also change that helmet if the one on your sig is the one youre still earingif youre trying to go all black... fyi. I love that helmet and it gets the wife off my back because she wants me to ride around in a reflective vest. "But honey look at bright flashy helmet, everyone can spot me."

Sig by Uncle P

Old 11-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
peterj59
R1 Dominates

I have a zx6r and r1 and the guys at my bike shop tole me the ohlin oem are nothing
like the ohlins special order because of liability reasons, dont know why but a lot of people say that about the oems so i believe it. i tried adj the oem and nothing changed
Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #19
gsxcorey
MummyMan

It won't change due to that bleed hole that doesn't adjust. Well, it will a little, but it's not going to do much.

If you paint the damper black just be sure not to get any on the moving parts at all or you could cause it to leak. Just gotta be careful or tape it all off very well.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #20
SakiBomb
Herro!

Bikes: 05 R1
I guess since the form and body of something never changes, that means the internals don't change at all. Shame on Ohlins for turning us all into sheep for the last 7 years

Where's your evidence that they haven't changed 'if any at all'?
SakiBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement