Bike Won't Start : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Saphexus
You don't impress me.

Bikes: 2011 Raven
Bike Won't Start

Sorry if this is some kind of repost, but I'm hoping you guys can give me a hand. Hopped on the bike this morning and it didn't wanna start. It's low on fuel, but I'm pretty sure it's got more than enough to start.

Besides that being a possible issue, the bike's electronics come on okay, but when I hit the starter button, I hear the bike making this buzzing sound. Thought it could be a loose connection somewhere on the battery, but it looks like the terminals are all good to go when I take off the seat and look at it.

Needless to say, I was angry at my situation. Life just jumps up and bites you in the crotch sometimes, eh?

Can you guys help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Sabian
Booya

Bikes: 1943 Indian Scout 741
Charge your battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Yeah it was head trauma alright....but it was my little head that was traumatized by your mouth.
Sabian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
crudmoe
it was a JOKE!...

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha yzF-R1 and 2011 grill master black bar B Q pit lol top right corner..
Yes low battery, electronics will still come on with low battery....check fuses next to battery just in case

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Motorcycle.com Free App
crudmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
R1nStang
Owner of the color changing R1

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabian View Post
Charge your battery.
+1. 09-11 model is a battery killer

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Yoshi TRC-D slip-ons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, ECUnleashed with Race Idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO View Post
my anus is just swollen.. Shut it!!!
R1nStang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Graverunner
Speed Limits Suck!

Bikes: 99 R1 02 Bandit 12s 01 R1 04 Bandit12s 06 R1 Full Graves Titanium, G-AIS block offs, G-V-stacks, K&N, PCIII ignition module, GPR, Galfer SS lines, Puig screen, hugger,sliders, flush mounts, integrated tail, & race tied! 06 K6 track whore!
Time to buy a new Battery, it's all downhill pushing from there~! lol
Graverunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Saphexus
You don't impress me.

Quote:
Charge your battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crudmoe View Post
Yes low battery, electronics will still come on with low battery....check fuses next to battery just in case

Thanks guys. I'll go ahead and look into a charger since I don't have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1nStang View Post
+1. 09-11 model is a battery killer
Yeah, no kidding, right? F*ck.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
Sabian
Booya

Bump start it and ride for an hour....

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Quote:
Yeah it was head trauma alright....but it was my little head that was traumatized by your mouth.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
KungFuJuice
My R1 eats me.

Quote:

I did this once, it was a pain.
KungFuJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
crudmoe
it was a JOKE!...

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha yzF-R1 and 2011 grill master black bar B Q pit lol top right corner..
Yes push starting 09 model is tough lol ...need to get it to atleast 10 mph for it to come on

crudmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
Saphexus
You don't impress me.

Quote:

Tried that. Didn't work.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
You will need a hill, or better yet someone to push you (and continue to push when clutch is dumped) My g/f had to push start me when my '06's starter crapped out at last trackday of the year, starts easily with some traction and steady pushing.
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
quick kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
Sabian
Booya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphexus View Post
Tried that. Didn't work.
Tried what...bumping it or having it stay charged? If it didn't stay charged enough to restart after about 15 min worth of riding either your battery is dead or you have a bad stator. Considering your earlier symptoms...you have a bad battery.

Easy tell...did you get it to bump start and could you ride it for any extended period of time...half hour? If so...it's your battery. Bike would die fairly quickly with an already dead battery and a bad charging situation.

Quote:
Old 11-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
If replacing battery, get a Ballistic or other brand lithium battery. More cranking amps than stock, at a 1/4 the weight. Battery chargers are real cheap these days,get one at Walmart for $25-30 and charge a few hours or all night. At least you can ride it then,and recharge if needed,until you get a new one.
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
quick kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
Saphexus
You don't impress me.

Quote:
Tried what...bumping it or having it stay charged? If it didn't stay charged enough to restart after about 15 min worth of riding either your battery is dead or you have a bad stator. Considering your earlier symptoms...you have a bad battery.

Easy tell...did you get it to bump start and could you ride it for any extended period of time...half hour? If so...it's your battery. Bike would die fairly quickly with an already dead battery and a bad charging situation.
Tried the bump start, didn't work. Hell, was prolly doing it wrong!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick kurt View Post
If replacing battery, get a Ballistic or other brand lithium battery. More cranking amps than stock, at a 1/4 the weight. Battery chargers are real cheap these days,get one at Walmart for $25-30 and charge a few hours or all night. At least you can ride it then,and recharge if needed,until you get a new one.
Would love to get one, broke now. Maybe for Christmas or something. I know, I know. Crazy, but that's the way it's gotta be until I can fight my way through hell and reach employment heaven...
Old 11-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
KungFuJuice
My R1 eats me.

Quote:

I remember when I first got my 02, didn't know the stator was bad. Rode for about twenty to thirty minutes before she puttered out.

she be fixed now and running strong
KungFuJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
Sabian
Booya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphexus View Post
Tried the bump start, didn't work. Hell, was prolly doing it wrong!!!
Then either charge it or jump it. I'm leaning towards battery still...

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement