Headwork Winter Project - Page 1024 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

02-03 R1 Mechanical Help Mechnical and Critical Issues for the 02-03 R1

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #20461
greenstreak9205
look for special phrase here
 
greenstreak9205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes: That signature bike
Location: WI
Posts: 9,795
I kno. Too bad I don't have at least a bit more money to play around with the bike. I might be able to post questions or findings
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Quit shaking your head, you're creating a draft!

The Man, The Legend Uncle P

Phantom Squadron CO Check Out Phantom Squadron Here
greenstreak9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #20462
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Location: Capo Beach, Ca
Posts: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak9205 View Post
I kno. Too bad I don't have at least a bit more money to play around with the bike. I might be able to post questions or findings
Same thing stops me. No money.

I got a 2011 S1000RR but all I've done is a Graves full system, a PC-V and some Apex bars.

I'd love to tear it all apart and get more power but time and money stop me. That and I promised myself that I wouldn't ruin the warranty on this one until it's paid for.

Honestly the thing's fast as hell already. It has WAY more bottom end than an R1 and I've only hit the rev limiter 1 time.
I can cruise around at 4000 rpms and just roll on and it takes off.

My 05R1 I'd have to be at 6 or 7 grand to say the same and I hit the rev limiter all the time.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #20463
im2fast2furious
Chain Breaker
 
im2fast2furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: 08R1 SBK 07 + 03R1 SUPERSTOCK
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
Probably possible but the magnets are what's generating the juice. I suspect that reducing the magnets will reduce the juice.
Also just a guess.
Yes smaller magnets= less juice but it also equals more bhp as this is acting like a brake on the engine. The standard rotor is oversized for me and I also like the idea of keeping some of the weight in the std. one. Not that it will make too much of a difference I think. The shorter magnets will though.
__________________
Mods: sticky tires, octane booster, visor tare offs and a furry dice key ring.
im2fast2furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #20464
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Location: Capo Beach, Ca
Posts: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by im2fast2furious View Post
Yes smaller magnets= less juice but it also equals more bhp as this is acting like a brake on the engine. The standard rotor is oversized for me and I also like the idea of keeping some of the weight in the std. one. Not that it will make too much of a difference I think. The shorter magnets will though.
In that case, I'd say try it, you have the YEC as a back up if it doesn't work.
Please post up the progress pics and results here!

Will you put it on a lathe to make sure that it's centrally balanced?

Also can you post pics of the two of them side by side so we can see the difference?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #20465
greenstreak9205
look for special phrase here
 
greenstreak9205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes: That signature bike
Location: WI
Posts: 9,795
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Quit shaking your head, you're creating a draft!

The Man, The Legend Uncle P

Phantom Squadron CO Check Out Phantom Squadron Here
greenstreak9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #20466
Death R1
99 R1
 
Death R1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes: 99 R1
Location: Delaware
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
Same thing stops me. No money.

I got a 2011 S1000RR but all I've done is a Graves full system, a PC-V and some Apex bars.

I'd love to tear it all apart and get more power but time and money stop me. That and I promised myself that I wouldn't ruin the warranty on this one until it's paid for.

Honestly the thing's fast as hell already. It has WAY more bottom end than an R1 and I've only hit the rev limiter 1 time.
I can cruise around at 4000 rpms and just roll on and it takes off.

My 05R1 I'd have to be at 6 or 7 grand to say the same and I hit the rev limiter all the time.
is the BMW that much different / a lift over the R1 ? If anything ever happenned to my 99 that would be the bike I'd get -the HP4 edition is what I would shoot for
__________________
Tuned by Bugaj

"In pursuit of more speed with the same power"


my "back from the dead" thread:
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263176


99 R1 parts for sale :
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307491
Death R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #20467
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Location: Capo Beach, Ca
Posts: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death R1 View Post
is the BMW that much different / a lift over the R1 ? If anything ever happenned to my 99 that would be the bike I'd get -the HP4 edition is what I would shoot for
I hate to sound like I'm anti R1 (I'm not) but it's a night and day difference.
My 05 had a LOT of work done to it (167HP) ported, milled, degreed cams, 3 angle valve job, ported throttle bodies, custom airbox/filter, PC111, Akro Evo, custom fuel map, -1+2 520 kit......It was the most powerful 04-06 ever tested on the dyno at Costa Mesa's Mach1.

All I've done (on the S1000) is the graves system and PC-V with the "off the shelf" map and this is the fastest bike I've ever ridden and has WAY more bottom end power and top end.

NIGHT and DAY!
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #20468
Death R1
99 R1
 
Death R1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes: 99 R1
Location: Delaware
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
I hate to sound like I'm anti R1 (I'm not) but it's a night and day difference.
My 05 had a LOT of work done to it (167HP) ported, milled, degreed cams, 3 angle valve job, ported throttle bodies, custom airbox/filter, PC111, Akro Evo, custom fuel map, -1+2 520 kit......It was the most powerful 04-06 ever tested on the dyno at Costa Mesa's Mach1.

All I've done (on the S1000) is the graves system and PC-V with the "off the shelf" map and this is the fastest bike I've ever ridden and has WAY more bottom end power and top end.

NIGHT and DAY!
how is the handling and the suspension ? what about the comfort after miles in the seat ?
__________________
Tuned by Bugaj

"In pursuit of more speed with the same power"


my "back from the dead" thread:
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263176


99 R1 parts for sale :
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307491
Death R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #20469
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Location: Capo Beach, Ca
Posts: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death R1 View Post
how is the handling and the suspension ? what about the comfort after miles in the seat ?
Handling is good but the rear spring is too hard for me (170 without gear) and the front forks are too soft.
I crank the preload all the way up (in the front) and the ride is very harsh but it still bottoms out on every ride.

I've just come up with the Idea of reducing preload but adding more fork oil to help prevent bottoming?? we'll see if it helps when I get around to it.

Dave Moss will rebuild the forks with stiffer springs for 500.00 but right now my budget is TIGHT!
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #20470
greenstreak9205
look for special phrase here
 
greenstreak9205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes: That signature bike
Location: WI
Posts: 9,795
Sounds like somebody needs to send you another head to port then
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Quit shaking your head, you're creating a draft!

The Man, The Legend Uncle P

Phantom Squadron CO Check Out Phantom Squadron Here
greenstreak9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #20471
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Location: Capo Beach, Ca
Posts: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak9205 View Post
Sounds like somebody needs to send you another head to port then
Ya, I wish.
I really am good at it and reasonably priced but a lot of people want flow bench #'s and other crap that i don't have access to.

Did I tell you about my DR 650? I made a 49% power increase on that and it turned out to be the most powerful DR in the world.
Did that transfer into more porting work? no.

Honestly, if I had money I'd send my stuff to Tim.
I'm no where near Tim's abilities but few people are (none that i know of).

Short of Tim and Mark, I'm the best at porting that I know of!
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #20472
im2fast2furious
Chain Breaker
 
im2fast2furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: 08R1 SBK 07 + 03R1 SUPERSTOCK
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
Kinda strange how we're the only ones left around here...
This used to be THE spot for any real info.
I had no idea, I had rarely time in the last 18 months to keep up with much, I rarely posted anywhere as a result. I am only just after finding out some of the stuff after digging about abit, what a great pity

I am going to start reading things again from where I had last read every page (p326)its gonna be a lot of enjoyable reading, with all the amazing projects people achieved helped each other on.
I really do hope to see this thread burst to life again, its mega! This thread was what was directly responsable for building my 08 r1 sbk to what it is today, I am very grateful for all the help I got from you guys when I knew little.
Between Mark, Tim and Bsr, and others you thought me how to port my first bike, and my knowledge has developed from there, Thanks guys.
The rotor project I will continue on the 08 thread. I believe its possible to machine now after some research but difficult, with special gear needed. I will probably need to waste a lot of rotors to find the right sppeed /feed rate, but I think possible, failing that I am thinking of spark errosion. I also have a few other ideas but they are more expensive than plan A.
__________________
Mods: sticky tires, octane booster, visor tare offs and a furry dice key ring.
im2fast2furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #20473
4yamahas
Lifetime Premium Member
 
4yamahas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes: 01R6 , 06R6
Location: N.C.
Posts: 763
Re reading this thread from the begining of time . Its taken a week of evenings to make it to January 2008 . Going to do some engine work this winter . Incredibly good info in this thread . Got notebook out writing everything down .
4yamahas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #20474
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Location: Capo Beach, Ca
Posts: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4yamahas View Post
Re reading this thread from the begining of time . Its taken a week of evenings to make it to January 2008 . Going to do some engine work this winter . Incredibly good info in this thread . Got notebook out writing everything down .
Good Idea about the notebook.
There is a LOT of good info in here but there's a lot of stuff in between.
Thank You for reading it through! This thread deserves not to die!

P.S. I'm obviously not the smartest of the bunch in here but if I can ever help, shoot me a PM.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #20475
4yamahas
Lifetime Premium Member
 
4yamahas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes: 01R6 , 06R6
Location: N.C.
Posts: 763
Got a set of FCR Flatslides on the way and an engine stand made.
Going to toss the stock airbox.

Also welded up a bracket to fit engine stand. Holds motor by back motor mounts.
Got two 01 R6 engines to play with
4yamahas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #20476
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Location: Capo Beach, Ca
Posts: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4yamahas View Post
Got a set of FCR Flatslides on the way and an engine stand made.
Going to toss the stock airbox.

Also welded up a bracket to fit engine stand. Holds motor by back motor mounts.
Got two 01 R6 engines to play with
Sounds like a lot of fun times ahead!
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #20477
yamaguy
Blue is best
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Bikes: 2k r1
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 744
Decking block with Nikasil liners

Need some advice from those with experience -

Just received a replated '00 block from Millenium. While the bores look great, are straight and finished honed very nicely the gasket surface on the block does'nt look great in that it has been chemically etched (roughened) from the plating process (see pic). I want to get the block decked not only to get back a proper sealing surface but to get the P to H clearance I want (need .010" taken off).

Has anyone had any issues decking/surfacing with the Nikasil plating - Millenium does'nt recommend it as they say the plating can chip but I think with a good radius/chamfering around the top of the bore there should'nt be any problems. They recommended grinding instead but grinding alumimum presents a whole mess of it's own problems (namely keeping the grinding stone from clogging) and I'm not even going to go there.

Thanks

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Millenium replated '00 block 2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	478183  
__________________
'00 R1,06 Wheels/Brakes,'03 suspension, '03 airbox, Degree'd stock cams, headwork, lightened and balanced crank, '03 pistons, Nology Hotwires, powdercoated frame/rearsets, Dussault undertail,Tapeworks/SRSignDesign graphics, 3rd gear wheelies and a whole lotta love.
yamaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #20478
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets
 
BSR-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
Location: Capo Beach, Ca
Posts: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaguy View Post
I think with a good radius/chamfering around the top of the bore there should'nt be any problems.

Rob
I think you're right. If you can chamfer it first, (carefully) and then mill.
I have seen chipped/cracked bores (as I'm sure you have if you've read the entire thread) but it wasn't caused by milling.
Also, the surface, while not shiny, looks pretty good to me. Are you sure it won't seal properly?
I've always used gaskets to achieve the piston to head (squish) that I needed.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #20479
Gearheaded
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
I think you're right. If you can chamfer it first, (carefully) and then mill.
I have seen chipped/cracked bores (as I'm sure you have if you've read the entire thread) but it wasn't caused by milling.
Also, the surface, while not shiny, looks pretty good to me. Are you sure it won't seal properly?
I've always used gaskets to achieve the piston to head (squish) that I needed.
A head gasket won't seal on an etched surface can it? What are gaskets made from? Copper? Copper won't seal on etched, it's supposed to be smooth

Some are multi layer steel, other are graphite composite. I don't know what the r1's are, I've never changed a head gasket on a bike. I know my cars were steel composites and needed a smooth surface
__________________


Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad

Last edited by Gearheaded; 12-07-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #20480
yamaguy
Blue is best
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Bikes: 2k r1
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
I think you're right. If you can chamfer it first, (carefully) and then mill.
I have seen chipped/cracked bores (as I'm sure you have if you've read the entire thread) but it wasn't caused by milling.
Also, the surface, while not shiny, looks pretty good to me. Are you sure it won't seal properly?
I've always used gaskets to achieve the piston to head (squish) that I needed.
I talked to Cometic gasket today and they said if you drag your fingernail across it and it feels rough then you run the risk of it leaking.

This all started when Repoman posted he had an oil leak after engine reassembly with a Millenium plated block. After comparing pictures of his block against mine they look very close in terms of finish (dull grey instead of somewhat shiny).

Decking the block will ensure a nice smooth mating surface and I can adjust for P to H numbers and use a standard gasket instead of the special order .010" gasket I'm using now (single leaf spring steel gasket with Viton coating).

The biggest concern I have of course is damaging the Nikasil during the milling process but if the top of the bore is relieved enough as you pointed out there should'nt be any problems.
__________________
'00 R1,06 Wheels/Brakes,'03 suspension, '03 airbox, Degree'd stock cams, headwork, lightened and balanced crank, '03 pistons, Nology Hotwires, powdercoated frame/rearsets, Dussault undertail,Tapeworks/SRSignDesign graphics, 3rd gear wheelies and a whole lotta love.
yamaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Headwork weekend project trottski Mechanical / Help 19 11-04-2008 02:54 PM
Winter project andyh Appearance & Mods 11 04-15-2007 01:37 PM
Winter Project 95% Done JspecZ R1 Appearance & Mods 23 03-02-2005 09:50 PM
Winter Project......... snorbitz General Motorcycle Discussions 8 01-29-2004 03:29 PM
So tell us...what your winter project will be? Maxxym General Motorcycle Discussions 23 09-27-2002 06:16 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:33 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum
R1-Forum.com is an independent Yamaha enthusiast website. Content on R1-Forum.com is generated by its users and R1-Forum.com is not in any way affiliated with Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.