Feedback needed on '12 vs '08 R1. - Page 6 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #101
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSTuner View Post
It was on the highway. 80 to 155 rolling I was in 4th gear and he was in 4 as well. I red line it and he red line it and then shift into 5th. This is a straight away.
An pre 09 to 09+ bike is not meant to be ridden the same way...and there are better choices of bikes for straight line performance

You spend a lot more time on a track under 100-110 then at 150 .

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #102
IMSTuner
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2008 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightSuccess View Post
This is her. I hope I can bring her home.

She looks awesome. I have a few questions.

How many miles?
Does she come with YES warranty?
Any mods?

2008 R1 Black - Gold AVS C5 Levers, Puig DB Wind Screen, EvoTech Sliders Kit, T-Rex Clutch slider, Stomp Tank Pads, LeoVince Ti Factory Evo II CF end caps, Arko Y-Pipe, EvoTech Fender Elim., Proton Signals, PZRacing GearTronic Zero , Q2 tires, Flash-Tune Interface,Brembo RCS Ohlins FRT fork and TTX shock
My Build Thread http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336353

YouTube Page http://www.youtube.com/user/imstuner?feature=mhee
IMSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #103
IMSTuner
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post

The 09+ is a good track bike because it puts the power to the gound earlier so the drive out of the corners can be better. I've passed BMWs come out of a corner and noone will argue that they have a HP advantage

Just some things to think about..
I have never ridden on a track so I'm not saying I know better then you. But if you keep the rpm rev in the power-band wouldn't I be able to do the something with the 08? It looks like it's more of the rider then the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
An pre 09 to 09+ bike is not meant to be ridden the same way...and there are better choices of bikes for straight line performance

You spend a lot more time on a track under 100-110 then at 150 .
I know both bike have different power bands and that's why when the 09+ riders was complaining about the power on my bike I told them to keep it in the rev higher. I never stated the 08 was faster but in most 09+ post, the rider stated the bike is much faster. It's more of an opinion then a fact and it will depend on the rider, what it's use for and weigh of the rider. I think out of the box without mods the 08 puts more power out. Even in you reply back to my comments you are still trying to prove to me the 09+ is a faster bike. I'm sure some can argue that one some tracks with long straight away the 08 will walk on 09+.

2008 R1 Black - Gold AVS C5 Levers, Puig DB Wind Screen, EvoTech Sliders Kit, T-Rex Clutch slider, Stomp Tank Pads, LeoVince Ti Factory Evo II CF end caps, Arko Y-Pipe, EvoTech Fender Elim., Proton Signals, PZRacing GearTronic Zero , Q2 tires, Flash-Tune Interface,Brembo RCS Ohlins FRT fork and TTX shock

Last edited by IMSTuner; 11-21-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #104
StraightSuccess
Just Me.

Bikes: ...Deciding...
Quote:
She looks awesome. I have a few questions.

How many miles?
Does she come with YES warranty?
Any mods?
Not sure. I'll call the dealer and ask.
Just a fender eliminator kit, and some flushies.
StraightSuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #105
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
I have never ridden on a track so I'm not saying I know better then you. But if you keep the rpm rev in the power-band wouldn't I be able to do the something with the 08? It looks like it's more of the rider then the bike.

I know both bike have different power bands and that's why when the 09+ riders was complaining about the power on my bike I told them to keep it in the rev higher. I never stated the 08 was faster but in most 09+ post, the rider stated the bike is much faster. It's more of an opinion then a fact and it will depend on the rider, what it's use for and weigh of the rider. I think out of the box without mods the 08 puts more power out. Even in you reply back to my comments you are still trying to prove to me the 09+ is a faster bike. I'm sure some can argue that one some tracks with long straight away the 08 will walk on 09+.
I'm saying with typical mods, the 09+ will give faster lap times. There are VERY few tracks if any that you can hit anything near the top of these bikes (stock gearing) and if you do, it will not be but for a split second.

I'd say it would be very close stock to stock for most tracks even

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #106
IMSTuner
I eat my R1

Quote:
Not sure. I'll call the dealer and ask.
Just a fender eliminator kit, and some flushies.
07 to 08 some owners have experienced excessive intake valve guide wear issues. It's a hit or miss on the 07 to 08. It happen to me at 5500 and it was taken care of under YES warranty. The good thing is you can see the valve stem down the intake runners in the air box and all you have to do is turn the motor to see the other intakes valve stems. It's just something you might want to look at before buying the 08.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #107
StraightSuccess
Just Me.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #108
2fasst
I eat my R1

Bikes: R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDMA View Post
Maybe, but I own one and this has been working for me so far. Additionally Ohlins USA, conveniently located in my town says the same thing. Lastly, so does Charles Graves, who I've been asking about suspension geometry. Ohlins has fork cap extensions to go with the cartridge kits in our forks to allow for enough ride height up front. The rear they do at stock length+4mm and whatever link settings are being used. Oh and they aren't aftermarket forks, there are series restrictions. Tubes are stock, they run the same stuff we can buy.
Man I've been itching for a 2012/2013 R1 but after reading about suspension 'GEOMETRY' short comings I'm a bit bummed.

I've been a long time R1-forum member, and still own a well upgraded 05 R1. I bought an 06 Ducati 999R back when it was released and I couldn't steer the damn thing. After MANY, MANY, MANY months/years of tuning and some $ to modify the geometry with offset triple clamps, changed front end rake angle, and changed rear shock height/spring, etc, now I can ride it.

In 07 I bought a new GSXR750 for track, and man that thing is a track weapon out of the box!

And now I feel if I purchase an 012 R1, I have to repeat what I did on the Ducati as far as geometry to get 'right'. Revalve-resprung usually come in time on all my bikes. But major geometry changes on a Japanese bike is something I'm not accustomed to.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #109
greenstreak9205
look for special phrase here

Bikes: That signature bike
All those changes are to fine tune it and make it turn "optimally". Stock out of the box...they still do really well. Or maybe it's just me . Like I said earlier, I can't compare my 09 to an 08 or earlier. But it's gotten me pretty well into A group pace with a 20k mile worn out suspension that's only had a general set up on it. My .02

Edited to add: while I've ridden other bikes, this is the first one I've owned. So either I've learned/adapted on a crap suspension and will do amazingly well once I put $$ into the suspension, or it really isn't as bad as you're thinking

The Man, The Legend Uncle P

Phantom Squadron CO Check Out Phantom Squadron Here

Last edited by greenstreak9205; 11-25-2012 at 11:26 AM.
greenstreak9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #110
AKDMA
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 Raven R1
I agree with the above points. I'm fine tuning. I had no problem running completely stock suspension in intermediate on q2s at the track. A crossplane with fork springs and a 3mm shim above the shock clevis handles awesome. I am going to be doing wera this year and am trying to get the bike perfect. Believe me, they're good stock.
AKDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #111
greenstreak9205
look for special phrase here

Bikes: That signature bike
I'd be curious how well you do in wera if you were running intermediate. No sarcasm

The Man, The Legend Uncle P

Phantom Squadron CO Check Out Phantom Squadron Here
greenstreak9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #112
AKDMA
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 Raven R1
Gotta start somewhere. I've been to enough races to know I won't be the slowest.. I don't care if I come in last. I'm just doing it to have fun and get better. That was my first track day, I was in the upper middle of intermediate and my tires were definitely a limiting factor. I know what I need to improve and now that the bike is sprung for me and has race tires I think I'll be a little quicker. I'm not planning on making a career of it in any case, just want to have some fun.
AKDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #113
StraightSuccess
Just Me.

Bad new, and good news.

First, the shop sold the R1 on Friday. There will be others however.

On a better note, if I was to get an '08 R1, my insurance would be the same as if I purchased a '12/'13 R6. Any who, it's still winter, and I can be patient. I'll save some money, keep paying bills, and make my move early in 2013. I'll stick around to keep reading and learning.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #114
tfs32
Your local Race Tire Dist.

Bikes: 07 R6 09 R1
Having a 08 and 09, I find the 09 to be more fun on the track. And 08 is better on the street

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

Thanks to my 2014 Sponsors
Pirelli - Good Grip Racing - Velocity Calibrations - Imo's Pizza
MCRA Expert GT #32
Follow me at https://www.facebook.com/TSpeckerracing
tfs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #115
2fasst
I eat my R1

Bikes: R6
Quote:
Bad new, and good news.

First, the shop sold the R1 on Friday. There will be others however.

On a better note, if I was to get an '08 R1, my insurance would be the same as if I purchased a '12/'13 R6. Any who, it's still winter, and I can be patient. I'll save some money, keep paying bills, and make my move early in 2013. I'll stick around to keep reading and learning.
If we're patient enough maybe we'll get to see what 2014 has in store for the 'new' R1. IF it really is going to be a complete redesign and prices for 2013 may go down some.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #116
StraightSuccess
Just Me.

Lol, I ain't that patient. I WILL be riding a bike summer '13 (unless some act of God that prevents me from doing so).
Old 11-29-2012, 01:33 AM   #117
RDshaky
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2007 R-1 Red
either year of the two bikes will provide more than enough preformance I promise, get some good gear right away,having good health insurance helps too
1978 Kz1000 still going!!
RDshaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:17 AM   #118
Dai.
"What"

Bikes: 2005 Lava Red R1 12" Hayabusa 2005 Raven R1 *SOLD*
Doesn't matter how much power a bike puts out or how much you can go,your limited to the road. I have an 05 and have thought about a new bike but i don't see the point now,just a re-design for another $20,000.
Dai. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #119
love2ride
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

For me, the 08 looks dated in design compared to the 09+

I rode the 09 with akra slip ons on the track and besides being a bit soft, it was a lot of fun to ride. The power delivery / sound was awesome. It reminded me of my bike (1098).

Disclaimer: I don't own any generation of R1.
love2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #120
Badshot
What's a newb?

Bikes: 2007 R1
Quote:
Lol, I ain't that patient. I WILL be riding a bike summer '13 (unless some act of God that prevents me from doing so).
Why don't you buy a used one and sell it after a year and buy the new model then? Just an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Badshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement