Debating on track bike : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
MMMichael
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Debating on track bike

So I just got my R1 earlier this fall.. and I really like it. This spring/summer I'm definitely hitting the track for a few track days.. Enter first problem.. I don't want to take my street bike to the track. This leaves me with the idea of buying a track bike.. Well I've beat around the idea of getting an old CBR F4 or something old for money reasons.. But then I got to thinking..

What would be the down sides to getting an older (carb'd style) R1 for the track? Hopefully I can pick up a salvage title or a basket case for CHEAP and then just build from there... Would it be smarter to start with a CHEAP 600..

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Keep in mind this will be my FIRST track day so I really don't know what it feels like. I know I'll love it though, that's how I can justify buying a bike for track duty only. The reason I want it to be cheap is because I really expect to tear it up. I know I'll go down at the track eventually or whatever happens.. but that's that. lol Funds are a little low this time of year.

Ideas? Comments? Criticisms?

-Michael
MMMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
WestSide_'10R1
LIVE EVERY MOMENT!

Bikes: 2010 r1
i thought about the same thing. i like the idea of keeping my street bike for the street and keep it nice. but i also want to push my limits on the track using the same bike i will ride on the street. its a hard choice. i dont know how some of these beautiful bikes these guys have and they take them to the track..kinda scary. good luck bro..
Old 11-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
MMMichael

It would be hard for me too.. I don't want to because if I go down at the track on a track specific bike, then I just have to save money, buy parts, and fix the track bike. But if I go down on my street bike at the track then I'm out all together. It's too big of a risk to lose riding on the street. Track bikes are awesome anyway, I just don't really know which route to go on what to buy...
Old 11-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
burn-z
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1
You stand the same or greater chances of crashing on the street. I push myself pretty good on the track but rarely have an oh shit moment where I wonder how I didn't crash. Crashing is a part of riding but you're better prepared for it when it happens at the track. I don't find much enjoyment riding on the street anymore and have no intention of just letting my bike sit in the garage. Racing is completely different than doing trackdays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Radley View Post
The full factory backed superbike r1's don't make 200bhp so its not happening here. 180 is pretty good, 185+ is exceptional. All this talk of 200+ is just horseshit
burn-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
MMMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn-z View Post
You stand the same or greater chances of crashing on the street. I push myself pretty good on the track but rarely have an oh shit moment where I wonder how I didn't crash. Crashing is a part of riding but you're better prepared for it when it happens at the track. I don't find much enjoyment riding on the street anymore and have no intention of just letting my bike sit in the garage. Racing is completely different than doing trackdays.
Well I definitely would want to eventually become a part of some organization and race, but I figured a good start would be to do track days and get the feel for being on the track and areas I need to improve upon before I get out and embarrass myself trying to race..lol

I understand that crashing is GOING to happen, It doesn't bother me, that's a part of becoming a "better" rider I think, and moving forward with your skill level. I just feel the need for two designated bikes that way if something happens to one I'll always have the other... Does that make sense and/or is it just the dumbest thing ever?? lol
Old 11-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
burn-z
I eat my R1

Just get yourself some track plastics. You'll get pretty good at swapping them out. After a while it may only take you an hour or two to get it all prepped for the track...plus you won't have to tape off lights or worry about wrecking all the expensive oem parts. In the end you may just find you don't like riding on the street much anymore, I know I did. The only reason I don't race is because that's a whole new level of commitment in $$ and I couldn't afford it and also in my local org you can't start out on a liter bike, middleweight is the largest for a novice.
Quote:
The full factory backed superbike r1's don't make 200bhp so its not happening here. 180 is pretty good, 185+ is exceptional. All this talk of 200+ is just horseshit
Old 11-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
+1

It takes $$ to race. Lots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
Just get yourself some track plastics. You'll get pretty good at swapping them out. After a while it may only take you an hour or two to get it all prepped for the track...plus you won't have to tape off lights or worry about wrecking all the expensive oem parts. In the end you may just find you don't like riding on the street much anymore, I know I did. The only reason I don't race is because that's a whole new level of commitment in $$ and I couldn't afford it and also in my local org you can't start out on a liter bike, middleweight is the largest for a novice.
Yeah...don't throw a bunch of carbon fiber on it and then go...

Track plastics are an option...with you getting aftermarket clipons there are a few other things that may break in something that makes the bike flip but for the most part...most wrecks the bike is easily fixable short of the plastics

Also, you live 40 min from me...you will be going to more than a "few" trackdays

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
burn-z
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
+1

It takes $$ to race. Lots
What's funny is that you would think that it's mostly younger guys in their 20's racing but it's completely the opposite where I'm at. Most of ther guys racing are 30's and 40's with a few even in their 50's. The youngest guys are typically mid to late 20's. It's not a kid sport. Most of the racers are pretty sucessful with a fair amount of spendable income. Guys in their teens and twenties don't have that unless they come from a well to do family. We have a 16 year old who is very fast and moving to AMA next year for a few events. He's been racing around the country with his younger brothers for a couple years now. His dad is a doctor and spends a fortune on them. This is how it is for most of the guys at the national level. There's no money there as everyone is basically paying their own way to race except for maybe a handful at the top. It's a break even situation for the guys at the top of the club racing scene. One of the top guys here spends $15-20k/season just on tires and that's with a season of just six race weekends. A friend I just went to Barber with said you fight it out with 15 guys for a $500 purse and maybe $200 in tire contingency money after you spend $400--500 on a set of tires and $50/sprint entry fee. If you really want to race you can count on spending $8-20k for the season after you have your bike and all the equipment you need. I'd love to race a season but it's too rich for my blood. The only way I could make it happen would be maybe to race the 250 Ninja spec class where a set or two of tires will last the entire season.
Quote:
Old 11-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
fjorn
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?

Bikes: '07 R1 (track only)
Personally, for your first trackday, I would just run your streetbike in the beginner group. Change out the coolant for water wetter or other track approved coolant, unplug the light fuse, remove the mirrors and license plate, then tape the lights with painter's tape. Good to go.

I wouldn't even consider racing until you have a number of trackdays under your belt. This way, you can slowly build your inventory or required gear without dropping a ton of money at once. If you're stapped for cash now, you'll be even worse off racing.
    • Gawarrior - June 25, 2008
    • bandrews - October 9, 2011
fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
burn-z
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
Yeah...don't throw a bunch of carbon fiber on it and then go...
Says the guy with full Ohlins, Dymag cf wheels, MB race rad and Brembo 130mm race calipers. And for the record, I actually have very little cf on my bike. What I do have looks very though.
Quote:
Old 11-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
fjorn

Quote:
Says the guy with full Ohlins, Dymag cf wheels, MB race rad and Brembo 130mm race calipers. And for the record, I actually have very little cf on my bike. What I do have looks very though.
Don't need any of that to go fast.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
burn-z
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post
Don't need any of that to go fast.

I just like to go fast and look good at the same time.
Quote:
Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
fjorn

Quote:

I just like to go fast and look good at the same time.

Then there's me: budget trackday extraordinaire.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post

Then there's me: budget trackday extraordinaire.
I'm there with you

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 11-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #16
MMMichael

The problem with throwing track plastics on my 05 is that... How hard is it to handle on the track? First track days are already an uphill thing because of nerves and most likely forgetting something etc. etc.

I'm at that crossroads right now where I might just make my 05 my designated track bike and then buy a different one for the street. Obviously this is going to be expensive...But I think it could possibly be the better option.

Side note- I'm digging the thought of track days.. It's getting me anxious. I know theres a bunch of threads on what to have and what to not have; and those will be read again soon. However I still have one thing I'm unclear on, What all needs safety wired? Seems like everyone has a diff. answer and I'm assuming that's because tracks are diff.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #17
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMichael View Post
The problem with throwing track plastics on my 05 is that... How hard is it to handle on the track? First track days are already an uphill thing because of nerves and most likely forgetting something etc. etc.

I'm at that crossroads right now where I might just make my 05 my designated track bike and then buy a different one for the street. Obviously this is going to be expensive...But I think it could possibly be the better option.

Side note- I'm digging the thought of track days.. It's getting me anxious. I know theres a bunch of threads on what to have and what to not have; and those will be read again soon. However I still have one thing I'm unclear on, What all needs safety wired? Seems like everyone has a diff. answer and I'm assuming that's because tracks are diff.
Yes, all tracks and organizations are different

The only answer to your question about safety wiring is - call the track/organization hosting the track day event and ask what they require for safety wiring

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 AM   #18
FOGOAR1
Friggin Old Guy On An R1

Bikes: 04 R1
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
Yes, all tracks and organizations are different

The only answer to your question about safety wiring is - call the track/organization hosting the track day event and ask what they require for safety wiring
Most trackday orgs have some sort of webpage which will provide all of the info needed. For a first time trackday Sportbike Track Time org has a very good orientation program. My 2 ct.

STT does not require safety wiring for novice group.

Last edited by FOGOAR1; 11-24-2012 at 05:34 AM.
FOGOAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #19
MMMichael

Okay cool. I appreciate the help.

I think I'm just going to have to get out and ride it to get used to it on the track.

Does anyone else get the feet stuck on the kickstand when they try to shift up? I'm assuming someone has either changed the kickstand or rearset.. the reason I ask is because that won't be much fun to fight on the track...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #20
fjorn

Quote:

No offense. But, you're bouncing around all over the place with regards to trackdays, track bikes, parts, etc. Please do yourself a favor and spend some time really digging into and reading the various threads. There's a ton of info on the forum where a lot of people have talked about their opinions and experiences for parts, tracks, track organizations, etc.

If you're able to make it, check out the 2013 Memorial trackday:
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345714

Excellent group of guys to help you learn about the track, as well as meeting some of the forum members.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement