What's A Fair Price? : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
StraightSuccess
Just Me.

Bikes: ...Deciding...
What's A Fair Price?

I was doing some thinking, and I wanted to see how consumers would respond to this. What would be a fair market price for a manufacturer to make money and have consumer's pockets not bleeding to sell high quality aftermarket fairings? I'm not talking 'cheap ass plastic' that would crack type of fairings. I'm talking quality abs plastic with a 99.9% fitment like OEM fairings made right here in the states. Please respond with painted and primered fairings as a sales option.

Last edited by StraightSuccess; 11-23-2012 at 07:24 PM.
StraightSuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
That was hard to read...

I'd say probably around 600$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
rexmitchell
I am the vanilla gorilla!

Painted or unpainted, price varies greatly there

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
I'd rather be ass-to-ass with Kirk
rexmitchell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

600$ painted is what I meant, as long as its good stuff

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 11-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
James D G
O'Gradys Paint

Bikes: YZF R1 of course

Call any shops that will paint a sportbike and you'll find prices from $600-$1200 for a simple 1 color paint job. Single stage paint jobs (not basecoat clearcoat) for a race bike can range from $300-$600 easily.

There is absolutely no way you could produce decent quality plastics AND provide decent paint work using decent products for anywhere near $600. I really don't know how the chinese do it, seriously I have no idea. If anyone really has a clue as to what goes into a 'decent' paint job (hours of prep before you even start with color, laying down a base color, masking, clearing, wet sanding, polishing, ect) you would have a hard time trying to figure out how the chinese man makes more than $3.00/hr. producing what they do.

If you were to produce near OEM fit and quality with near OEM finish you would need to charge near OEM pricing.
James D G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
rexmitchell
I am the vanilla gorilla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D G View Post

Call any shops that will paint a sportbike and you'll find prices from $600-$1200 for a simple 1 color paint job. Single stage paint jobs (not basecoat clearcoat) for a race bike can range from $300-$600 easily.

There is absolutely no way you could produce decent quality plastics AND provide decent paint work using decent products for anywhere near $600. I really don't know how the chinese do it, seriously I have no idea. If anyone really has a clue as to what goes into a 'decent' paint job (hours of prep before you even start with color, laying down a base color, masking, clearing, wet sanding, polishing, ect) you would have a hard time trying to figure out how the chinese man makes more than $3.00/hr. producing what they do.

If you were to produce near OEM fit and quality with near OEM finish you would need to charge near OEM pricing.
Chinese shit has a shit paint job with shit finish . That's why it's priced as such

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
I'd rather be ass-to-ass with Kirk
rexmitchell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D G View Post

They have huge equipment that paints the plastic while it makes it

I know exactly what it takes to make the fairings, paint them, and sell them cheap. This guy can't go anywhere near it without huge equipment and connections.

Honestly a pointless thread

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 11-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
James D G
O'Gradys Paint

Bikes: YZF R1 of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexmitchell View Post
Chinese shit has a shit paint job with shit finish . That's why it's priced as such

To be honest, I've seen a bunch of different 'chinese' kits and I have to admit you get more than you pay for with almost all of them. Even if their paint will fade in the sun (do to lack of uv protection in the clear), or there happens to be a bit more orange peel or the odd run, the time it takes to lay out those differant graphics and such tells me they are working for pennies. Their product could be the cheapest of the cheap, they still have to pay for the operation of a booth which is huge overhead with heat and electricity. The masking alone on most of those jobs would be a full 8+hrs. easily.

Decent product to do a sportbike will cost between $300-$500 depending upon primers, sealers, paint(pigment), clear, sandpaper chosen to do the job, add your time and shop expenses and you will learn you simply can not compare with the chinese in this market. At least not dollar for dollar. Sure you get much better quality paint when you go to a professional shop but look at the cost, it's double easily, and you aren't getting 'free' plastics for that cost either!
James D G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
SakiBomb
Herro!

Bikes: 05 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightSuccess View Post
I'm not talking 'cheap ass plastic' that would crack type of fairings. I'm talking quality abs plastic with a 99.9% fitment like OEM fairings made right here in the states.
I'd love to pay $600 for a painted set of above, but that ain't happenin There's no way you'd undersell the China-brand on price, but if your fairings were the above quality, I'd have no problem paying $800-$1000.
SakiBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
StraightSuccess
Just Me.

Bikes: ...Deciding...
I was thinking if one was to do this, possibly $500-$600 unpainted, and about $1200 or so for painted ones.
StraightSuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
greenc51
I eat my Night Rod

Bikes: 05 Ninja 500 SOLD - 04 CBRF4i SOLD - 07 R6 SOLD - 04 Vulcan 800 bobber SOLD - 06 R1 SOLD - 2009 Night Rod Special =)
that price sounds fair for unpainted. I'd definitely purchase and just wrap it with vinyl
greenc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement