Debating on track bike - Page 2 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #21
fjorn
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?

Bikes: '07 R1 (track only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMichael View Post
Okay cool. I appreciate the help.

I think I'm just going to have to get out and ride it to get used to it on the track.

Does anyone else get the feet stuck on the kickstand when they try to shift up? I'm assuming someone has either changed the kickstand or rearset.. the reason I ask is because that won't be much fun to fight on the track...

What's a kickstand?

Here ya go, all the track info you could want:

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86

See you on the track!
    • Gawarrior - June 25, 2008
    • bandrews - October 9, 2011
fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #22
FOGOAR1
Friggin Old Guy On An R1

Bikes: 04 R1
Quote:
Okay cool. I appreciate the help.

I think I'm just going to have to get out and ride it to get used to it on the track.

Does anyone else get the feet stuck on the kickstand when they try to shift up? I'm assuming someone has either changed the kickstand or rearset.. the reason I ask is because that won't be much fun to fight on the track...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Motorcycle.com Free App
Not at all... you'll want to get that sorted out before hitting the track.

The fewer distractions the better you can concentrate on riding
FOGOAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #23
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burn-z View Post
Says the guy with full Ohlins, Dymag cf wheels, MB race rad and Brembo 130mm race calipers. And for the record, I actually have very little cf on my bike. What I do have looks very though.
I was talking about your bike prior to its current setup with street bodywork/cf

As to my parts...calipers, radiators and shock are fairly well protected....I suppose Ohlins forks can get bent just like stock in the right crash...and CF wheels can break like stock or yours can bend but

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Last edited by z064life; 11-24-2012 at 07:26 AM.
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #24
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
The problem with throwing track plastics on my 05 is that... How hard is it to handle on the track? First track days are already an uphill thing because of nerves and most likely forgetting something etc. etc.

I'm at that crossroads right now where I might just make my 05 my designated track bike and then buy a different one for the street. Obviously this is going to be expensive...But I think it could possibly be the better option.

Side note- I'm digging the thought of track days.. It's getting me anxious. I know theres a bunch of threads on what to have and what to not have; and those will be read again soon. However I still have one thing I'm unclear on, What all needs safety wired? Seems like everyone has a diff. answer and I'm assuming that's because tracks are diff.
You are 45 min from me. You won't forget anything if you have your bike, helmet, leathers, boots, and gloves. Just wait for the schedule to come out and pick a day I'm going.

As to the kickstand...not sure why you are hitting that...We'll put it up on a stand and you can show your riding position...i'm sure its something easily fixed.

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #25
fast_guy
powderwhore

Bikes: 05 CRF250R, 08 KTM SDR, 13 BMW R1200GSA
At the club racing level we have a SuperStreet class here in Colorado. Basically, it allows new racers to run street bikes without running a fully prepped track machine or race license. Check your local racing clubs to see if they have something similar. (www.mra-racing.org)
fast_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #26
marshdrummer
Lucky 13 X/O

Bikes: 2011 R1
Trackdays are there so you can break the law in a safe environment and TEST your limits - bump up your confidence level....If you go to any trackday, it's to make you a better rider...if you can keep your ego in check, ride your own ride and have fun, I HIGHLY recommend bringing your street ride...The trackday org that sponsors me, is all about safety and improving skills....even if you wanna race, your first trackday ever, should be learning the track, and learning how to ride ON the track....

Now racing is a totally different story...I'm pushing 40 yrs old and didn't start until 4 years ago...I did 4 years of trackdays before that...If you're not broke now, you will be. I spent about $700 a month (April-Oct)...I raced the lightweight class (SV650) which saves you a heap of $$$ (tires, used parts, gas)....That being said, I have a teammate that is a front runner in the expert class. He drops about $20,000 a year. That's NOT including the toy hauler, the start up bike fees, etc....

Trackdays are fun to run with your buddies, learn to be a better rider and get a ton of track time....If you go in with a big ego and push yourself, you WILL crash....if you go in and just have fun, speed will come....I've only had 2 offs in 8 years on the track...Both were rider error (bad body position)....had nothing to do with speed....

If you are looking to get into racing, do NOT get an old 600 (middleweight class) to start...it cannot compete with newer technology...if you're going to run that class, you'll want to upgrade before you know it...

IMHO, track plastics, protection (sliders) and have the RRR do double duty....Ask questions to the peeps in the club you're going to start racing....go see some races. Start up costs are rediculous even without purchasing a bike....Get a plan so you don't waste a ton of money....Good luck!

LRRS AM
RSP Racing #920
Sponsors: Pirelli, Tony's trackdays, Motorcycle Tires and Gear, Dyno Solutions, Sportbike Track Gear, Knox, Woodcraft, 434racer.com
marshdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #27
MeanOne
Recreational adrenaline user

Bikes: 2008 Raven R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by burn-z View Post
Just get yourself some track plastics. You'll get pretty good at swapping them out. After a while it may only take you an hour or two to get it all prepped for the track...plus you won't have to tape off lights or worry about wrecking all the expensive oem parts.

This is what I decided on doing.

Check out my Black 'n' Gold '08 Build Thread
MeanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #28
blueyzfr6
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2010 R1 here I come :) 04 R1 (Faster Blue) Stolen :(
http://www.attackperformance.com/Att...ForSale08.html
blueyzfr6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #29
MMMichael
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
You are 45 min from me. You won't forget anything if you have your bike, helmet, leathers, boots, and gloves. Just wait for the schedule to come out and pick a day I'm going.

As to the kickstand...not sure why you are hitting that...We'll put it up on a stand and you can show your riding position...i'm sure its something easily fixed.
I'm excited now.. I'm researching some race plastics.

As far as my riding position.... ohh god.. lol We'll see how it goes. I have no idea why my foot won't fit in between the thing on the kickstand and the shifter.. I thought it might because I was wearing boots.. But idk. I'll check into it more, just didn't know if anyone else had these issues already solved and could save me some time.
MMMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #30
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
If your foot is on the footpeg on the balls of your feet, there's no way you're hitting the kickstand. Your foot position must be incorrect

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #31
MMMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
If your foot is on the footpeg on the balls of your feet, there's no way you're hitting the kickstand. Your foot position must be incorrect
This is very possible..
Old 11-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #32
modidy

Bikes: 2010 R1, 06 R6, 01 SV650s (trackbike)
I don't know what kind of cash flow you have, but I run a separate bike for street and track. My trackbike is a 1st gen SV650, prepped for racing, but only used for trackdays. I bought it from a guy that previously raced it. They can be had for around $2500 ready to go, with good suspension already done. That's about what I picked mine up for, with a huge amount of spares. I could almost build a second bike. It's not a definite that you are going to crash at a trackday.... I have been doing them for 7 years and not one off at the track in that time. I have however laid a few street bike's down over that same time period. What's nice about the SV is, if you do decide to start racing, it's a good class to start in. The technology hasn't progressed too much to make the older cheaper SV's obsolete. A set of plastics, and a few track parts will cost you about $1000. I would recommend picking up an SV, get your skills down, and then move into the 600 or larger.
A lot of people won't admit it because of pride, but 1000cc bike's are a handful on the track, and should only be ridden by those with lots of experience. They tend to break traction a typical lean angle's a lot quicker... even your 600's can quite easily do the same. I've had several bike's for trackbike's... FZR 400, GSXR 750, 600, Kawi 636, and the SV650. My first trackday was on a 04 R1 and my buddy was on his 04 GSXR 1K. He went down in a turn because he lost the back end... That's when I decided to step down to something a little more forgiving!!!

To sum it up, try picking up a prepped SV650 and have at it.... you can probably sell that SV two year from now, for about what you'll buy for it. Tire's last longer and you can really learn to work on body position, and overall skill improvement before trying to tame a 1000 on the track. Most people cannot push a 600 to it's potential, let alone a 1000. Check your ego before you get to the track, and you can learn a lot, and have a ton of fun.... speed come's with time.

just my two cents....
Old 11-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #33
modidy

You can find deals like this at different forums and race boards....

http://weraclassifieds.com/ads/2000-sv650s/

http://weraclassifieds.com/ads/01-su...50-track-bike/

http://www.svrider.com/forum/search....archid=7299906
Old 11-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #34
MMMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by modidy View Post
I don't know what kind of cash flow you have, but I run a separate bike for street and track. My trackbike is a 1st gen SV650, prepped for racing, but only used for trackdays. I bought it from a guy that previously raced it. They can be had for around $2500 ready to go, with good suspension already done. That's about what I picked mine up for, with a huge amount of spares. I could almost build a second bike. It's not a definite that you are going to crash at a trackday.... I have been doing them for 7 years and not one off at the track in that time. I have however laid a few street bike's down over that same time period. What's nice about the SV is, if you do decide to start racing, it's a good class to start in. The technology hasn't progressed too much to make the older cheaper SV's obsolete. A set of plastics, and a few track parts will cost you about $1000. I would recommend picking up an SV, get your skills down, and then move into the 600 or larger.
A lot of people won't admit it because of pride, but 1000cc bike's are a handful on the track, and should only be ridden by those with lots of experience. They tend to break traction a typical lean angle's a lot quicker... even your 600's can quite easily do the same. I've had several bike's for trackbike's... FZR 400, GSXR 750, 600, Kawi 636, and the SV650. My first trackday was on a 04 R1 and my buddy was on his 04 GSXR 1K. He went down in a turn because he lost the back end... That's when I decided to step down to something a little more forgiving!!!

To sum it up, try picking up a prepped SV650 and have at it.... you can probably sell that SV two year from now, for about what you'll buy for it. Tire's last longer and you can really learn to work on body position, and overall skill improvement before trying to tame a 1000 on the track. Most people cannot push a 600 to it's potential, let alone a 1000. Check your ego before you get to the track, and you can learn a lot, and have a ton of fun.... speed come's with time.

just my two cents....
Actually, I've looked into the SV650 and I actually like them. I think they are cheap, plentiful bikes that are PERFECT for the tracks around me.

That being said, It is a v-twin; and I've ridden a v-twin before and they suck to be quite honest. They are no top end having, torquey things!! lol I'm wondering if I start out on a SV if it won't even feel the same as an inline? Idk.. obviously these are just open thoughts and there is no sense behind them...

That being said I'd be willing to throw $1,500 to $2,000 at a track bike, It'd just take some time to come up with it. haha...

Thanks for the info.. That's the kind of constructive things I am looking for!
Old 11-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #35
modidy

Quote:
Actually, I've looked into the SV650 and I actually like them. I think they are cheap, plentiful bikes that are PERFECT for the tracks around me.

That being said, It is a v-twin; and I've ridden a v-twin before and they suck to be quite honest. They are no top end having, torquey things!! lol I'm wondering if I start out on a SV if it won't even feel the same as an inline? Idk.. obviously these are just open thoughts and there is no sense behind them...

That being said I'd be willing to throw $1,500 to $2,000 at a track bike, It'd just take some time to come up with it. haha...

Thanks for the info.. That's the kind of constructive things I am looking for!
Yes, a twin feels different than an inline..... just like a 600 feels different from a 1000, or a triple... for a cheap, low maintenance trackbike, SV and ninja 250's are hard to beat..... getting accustom to a twin is easy as getting accustom to an inline. Anytime you go from one bike to another, there are adjustments to be had. But like you said, it's all information to process and help you make the decision that works best for you. Good luck, and welcome to the addiction
Old 11-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #36
rocalotopus
arrivederci

sv650, esp if you're going to race after a couple trackdays
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron213 ti View Post
just think about who you about to go with, we might never find your body
you only funky as your last cut.
rocalotopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement