She's UNleashed! : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 11-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
desire68
My R1 thinks she's a Twin

Bikes: 01R1 Champion Limited Edition #187(SOLD) 2012 R1 WGP 50th Anniversary No#0095
She's UNleashed!

Well guys after much deliberation and research i finally went with ECUnleashed for my 12. The reason i went this route is that to be honest with you, i dont have the motorcycle know how to be (tweaking) settings so this plug and play item seemed the best choice for me. Also i wanted to retain the factory immobilizer on my new bike because i'm weird like that.
Plugged it in last weekend and it rained here until last night so i didnt get a chance to ride. I fitted the Akrapovic Ti Y pipe to my carbon cans and managed to get my first ride out on her today(sunny and dry but cold). First impressions were the bike feeling way smoother that usual. I live at the top of a long hill so the beginning of my ride's were always challenging due to the excessive engin breaking, NOT ANYMORE! No more of this "all or nothing" throttle with next to zero modulation. I was able to actually control the throttle which is now super smooth. Sharp turn at the bottom of my road usually has the bike bucking mid bend as i try to get the right power delivery but this time she acted just as all of my other bikes would have in the same situation, just smooth and simple, not bucking, with a sphincter pucker value of zero lol. I didn't push it as the roads aren't great but the overall acceleration and deceleration are now very smooth and make for a very happy bike ride. The big kicker though is the fact that all this was done in "A mode" I never ride in "A mode" as the bike was way to choppy to ride in that mode on the street so i would only ride in STD. My comparison is form getting used to the oe STD mode to now riding in the unleashed "A mode" which is now smoother than STD ever was.
If your on the fence, go for it, you won't be disappointed. I went with Nels @ 2wheelDynoworks and he was awesome to deal with. I highly recommend him for all your ECU questions.
Mike

Petrol Spice, You Da MAN!!!

WGP 50th Anniversary #95 Akrapovic carbon cans,Akrapovic Ti Y pipe,Watsen flush mounts,ASV leavers,Driven preload adjusters,Rizoma track-77 signals, Puig fender eliminator,Puig DB screen,Driven spools,Harris clear tank pad,Graves clutch kit, Driven 520 kit,Gilles Ti axle nut,Gilles TCA-GP chain adjusters,Driven sprocket nuts, Sato rearsets,GYTR no cut frame sliders,Goodridge SS lines,ECUnleashed tune
desire68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Mad Matt
I eat my R1

Bikes: R1
Great to hear mate, my biggest concern is losing the immobiliser, i know it doesn't put the thieves off having a go but at least they won't start it......

I know your happy but it would be good to hear from guy's that have had both done to compare...
Mad Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
Pretty amazing what they can do, I use Flashtune and agree with your statements. One word, SMOOTH.
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
quick kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
desire68

Bikes: 01R1 Champion Limited Edition #187(SOLD) 2012 R1 WGP 50th Anniversary No#0095
Our bikes are the heaviest of the R1's. Anything that makes them SMOOTH is a benefit. Just cant wait until next summer now!
Mike

WGP 50th Anniversary #95 Akrapovic carbon cans,Akrapovic Ti Y pipe,Watsen flush mounts,ASV leavers,Driven preload adjusters,Rizoma track-77 signals, Puig fender eliminator,Puig DB screen,Driven spools,Harris clear tank pad,Graves clutch kit, Driven 520 kit,Gilles Ti axle nut,Gilles TCA-GP chain adjusters,Driven sprocket nuts, Sato rearsets,GYTR no cut frame sliders,Goodridge SS lines,ECUnleashed tune
Old 11-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
CARBONAR1
90% INDESTRUCTABLE

Bikes: 06 R1R - 01 R1 hybrid - 06 Gixxer 1000 trackbike, 06 FZ6N - 96 FailBladder cadaver
Nice work Mike, it's very rewarding doing mods that make a really big difference.

FASTER AND FASTER 'TILL THE THRILL OF SPEED OVERCOMES THE FEAR OF DEATH

-HUNTER S. THOMPSON .................................................. ............................................sig by PETROL_SPICE
CARBONAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
desire68

Cheers guys, true Ben and its a big difference after the last weekend i had lol. Lets just forget that one yeah.
Mike

Old 11-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
bacchus40
kickin' at the darkness

Bikes: 2005 RAVEN R6, sold; PEARL WHITE 2009 YZF R1 ~ rip, CADMIUM YELLOW 2009 YZF-R1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by desire68 View Post
If your on the fence, go for it, you won't be disappointed. I went with Nels @ 2wheelDynoworks and he was awesome to deal with. I highly recommend him for all your ECU questions.
Mike
i'm really glad to hear it all worked out Mike!! i knew Nels could take care of it for you... pretty impressive they even sent it to CAlifornia to get done...

hell i'll tell yah, I am damn good with computers, and fancy gizmos all around, even have a dad as my own personal mechanic...

guess what!? Nels handled the re-flash on my bike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
Great to hear mate, my biggest concern is losing the immobiliser, .
talk to ECUnleashed mate... Mike's bike is a Canadian model and they were able to retain the immobilizer... this is something Mike and I discussed
at length before he went with my recommendation {yes Mike, i'm prepared to share credit on this one!! baahhaha... }, all bikes in canada
must have an immobilizer... it is an amazing feature and one that cannot be bypassed... Yamaha sport-bike thefts barely ever register out here.. for good reason.!

as far as getting impressions from both camps... I can at least tell you this, my Cadmium 09 was one of the 1st {in the forum} to get re-flashed , Nels had only done
a hand-full when i rode mine down to his shop {He's just across the cad/us border here}, I was very, very impressed with his knowledge of Yamaha's to begin with,
he rides an race prepped 07 R1, and after seeing the kind of juice he got out of my baby, so quickly... imho, there's no comparison...

EcuNleashed has been working on these bikes from the get-go, if its good enough for Graves... well then...

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,

Last edited by bacchus40; 11-28-2012 at 10:48 AM.
bacchus40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
RiderR1
squidly Tendencies

Bikes: 2010 R1 LE, 2004 gsxr 750, 2010 Ninja 250
Mel's is the only person who will be doing any dyno tuning to any of my bikes.
RiderR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
Petrol_Spice
Seņor Citizen

Bikes: Speedoodle!
Dyno graphs or the terrorist win.

Tact was created by those lacking the mental dexterity for sarcasm. ~ Petrol_Spice

Petrol_Spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
KEEP IT DOWN
ALL ABOUT THE BLACK AND GOLD!!

Bikes: 2008 R1, 2009 ZX6R, 2009 ZX6R Track Bike
Are you sure that your able to retain the Immobiliser function because once the ECU is flashed you override everything from what I was told. The red light will still flash but you could use an unchipped copy key to start it.

I know for sure it gets taken out with the FlashTune but I think it would be the same with ECUnleashed

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

"Signature Courtesy of FLexxx"
KEEP IT DOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
bacchus40
kickin' at the darkness

Bikes: 2005 RAVEN R6, sold; PEARL WHITE 2009 YZF R1 ~ rip, CADMIUM YELLOW 2009 YZF-R1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderR1 View Post
Nel's is the only person who will be doing any dyno tuning to any of my bikes.
fixed

great to see local riders... we should get together for a good ride next year... I love the Oregon coastline!!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEP IT DOWN View Post

I know for sure it gets taken out with the FlashTune but I think it would be the same with ECUnleashed

yes, this is something Mike was able to get a clear answer on right away, and actually the reason his ECU ended up being
sent to California so ECUnleashed could handle / create the flash file correctly, it was the 1st Canadian VIN R1 to cross their desks...

as far as we know, it was handled correctly.. Immobilizer is intact... I would check with Nels directly for more details

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,

Last edited by bacchus40; 11-24-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
desire68

Yep the immobilizer was a main condition for me and the reason I went with ECU leashed. As has been suggested on here, talk to Nels about any concerns.
Mike

Old 11-25-2012, 05:13 AM   #14
rorlow
Cheating death in the "D"

Bikes: Silver/Gray 02
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderR1 View Post
Mel's is the only person who will be doing any dyno tuning to any of my bikes.

Gibson
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mel+Gibson+Mel+Gibson+Madeleine+Stowe+Take+NCsR5GB2pNnl.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	477468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mel+Gibson+Mel+Gibson+Out+Malibu+PkFLQ0YdqbMl.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	477469  

rorlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
bacchus40
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorlow View Post
Gibson

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

Sponsored Links
Advertisement