Who's running the Bazzaz Z-AFM on their crossplane? : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 11-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
AKDMA
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 Raven R1
Who's running the Bazzaz Z-AFM on their crossplane?

I'm about to get one and have no prior experience using auto tuners. Any suggestions regarding getting the most out of it? What AFR did you guys use? Thanks for any suggestions.
AKDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
sircharles1
Street Runnerz M/C Natl. Prez

Bikes: '03 R1, '07 GSXR750, '08 GSXR1000... all stretched and sitting in the dirt
i have one on my 08 gsxr1000... i think most set it to 13.1

hell i forget... i'm drinking right now

What do you call a female virgin in Kentucky? Faster than her brothers.

Kentucky: 5 million people, 10 last names.

Why couldn't the baby Jesus be born in Kentucky? Because they couldn't find 3 wise men or a virgin.

Why are there so many unsolved murders in Kentucky? There are no dental records and everyone has the same DNA
sircharles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
AKDMA
I eat my R1

OK cool, I'll start with 13.1 and see how that feels. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
ripnr6
Forza Italia!

Bikes: '09 Shift Red R1
I run 13.0 target. I got the best tune after doing a bunch of short 20-30min rides threw 1-4 gears threw the rpm range. then once my in-town riding was done i did the same on the highways for 3rd-6th gear.

As you begin to average the tune readings together you will notice certain lags at specific rpms and throttle positions. you can manually adjust those boxes. just do it in small increments until you get the response you want.

Also weather plays a big role. i mostly ride after 9pm when the air is alot cooler, so i retune after the temps begin to change during the seasons. so do your tuning readings during your usual ride times to keep it as accurate as possible.

I am in no way a professional tuner this is just what has worked for me. GL
ripnr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
AKDMA
I eat my R1

Appreciate it. I think I'll go to a few of my favorite riding spots with a laptop in my backpack and work on it out there.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
ripnr6
Forza Italia!

Bikes: '09 Shift Red R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDMA View Post
Appreciate it. I think I'll go to a few of my favorite riding spots with a laptop in my backpack and work on it out there.

LOl that's how i did my highway rides. i must have looked like a terrorist at the rest stops busting out a laptop with a bunch of cables.
ripnr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 94 VMax, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDMA View Post
I'm about to get one and have no prior experience using auto tuners. Any suggestions regarding getting the most out of it? What AFR did you guys use? Thanks for any suggestions.
Gotta be careful with the Bazzazz. A few people here have had issues with the units not clipping properly. If the bike starts running funny or surging, remap it back to the old map or you might foul your plugs. A couple people here had to buy new main units all together once they started getting funky and Bazzazz couldn't figure it out.

All in all the units are normally very solid. I normally go with 13.2 as a target AFR at the recommendation of my motor builder.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
AKDMA
I eat my R1

It probably has a lot to do with the wideband sensor, they're only rated at 50 hours of usage. Hopefully the one I'm getting is still good (used).
Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
drjak
Take the red pill

Bikes: '09 R1
I could have sworn that DJ rates theirs for longer. I talked to them a few weeks ago about this.
drjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
AKDMA
I eat my R1

They very well might. A Bazzaz rep said that about the bosch sensors they use.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
drjak
Take the red pill

Bikes: '09 R1
The plan is to use the auto-tune to make a good solid map then turn it off, only turning it back on for elevation changes, IE riding out of state. We hooked up a switch that is on my left clip-on to turn it on/off.
drjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
AKDMA
I eat my R1

If it's not too hard, I'll probably yank the wideband sensor out once I get a nice tune. Until I go to the track. I'll probably make a few maps from 13.0 to 13.2 and if I ever get access to a dyno I'll be able to see which is best. Wish we had one around here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement