2 Motorcycles in Back of Truck : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

Old 11-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
teenR1
My First R1

Bikes: 2006 Yamaha R1
2 Motorcycles in Back of Truck

Anyone ever travel with 2 sport bikes in the back of their truck? I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab and need to bring my R1 and my wife's motorcycle back from NC, to GA. I want to throw both of them in the back of my truck, which I heard should't be a problem. but what's the best way to make them fit? One facing forward, and one backwards?
Suggestions?
teenR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
WestSide_'10R1
LIVE EVERY MOMENT!

Bikes: 2010 r1
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141390
Old 11-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
jake300win
assfault junkies

Bikes: 2007 r1
Depends on the location of the strap holes/hooks on the truck bed I had mine and a friends gsxr in the back of a newer ford f150. Faced them both forward had to get creative with the straps and both bikes had canyon dancers on them. Good luck

"That doesn't sound right but I don't know enough about stars to dispute it"
jake300win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
teenR1
My First R1

Thanks
Old 11-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
fjorn
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?

Bikes: '07 R1 (track only)
Anchor points are the biggest. If there's something you can anchor below to, definitely worth looking into.

FWIW, I have the CCR Sport Bed Buddy installed in my van. They did come out with a slightly cheaper version of it called the Pro Moto Truck Rack. They custom made my Bed Buddy for two bikes only as it goes inside a van. Works perfectly and can't say enough about them.
    • Gawarrior - June 25, 2008
    • bandrews - October 9, 2011
fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
I'd like a bed buddy, or a nice toy hauler. Towing eats more gas though. I just wish I had a really wide ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
bigr198
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: 02R1 , 05R1 , 05CR450 , 99 KTM380
I have 2 front wheel stands that I built myself bolted down to a sheet of 3/4 plywood . That way the bikes can free stand in the truck and the straps will keep them stable. I run my straps to the rear footpeg brackets to hold the bikes forward into the chocks.You can use a spreader to hold the bikes apart and then strap them together for more stablility.
Harbor Freight has a good deal on wheel chocks http://www.harborfreight.com/interes...ock-97841.html
You can bolt extra tie downs to the plywood if you need to.
I use this system in my truck as well as in my trailer and when I am not transporting my bikes I have the stands in my garage to support the bikes so that I can work on them.
Good Luck

Last edited by bigr198; 11-25-2012 at 09:10 PM.
bigr198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
GreasySnipe
Don't eat the Banana

Bikes: 2010 R-1, 2013 1199 Panigale S
I did the same thing that BigR198 did but had them in the back of a Uhaul, bought the harbor freight chocks and bolted them down to a full sheet of 3/4 plywood. neither bike moved as I had also added the D-rings for the straps. With some cutting I could probably get the setup to fit in the back of my F250 but before I did that I'd probably see if I could get a trailer as I hate getting them up and down on the aluminum ramp I have for the back of the truck.
GreasySnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
g1craych
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2003 R1, 01 duke, 11kx450
Most important is to secure the front wheel from turning, if that happens the bike falls. I don't suggest one forward and one backwards because it will be hard to keep the front wheel on the one turned backwards from shifting or turning. You can easily build a chock frame from 2x4s for the front of your bed, all they have to do is make sure the wheel doesn't turn. Also figure out how to get the widest angle for each strap point, ie don't strap the left bike to the left side and middle of the truck. Strap it to the left side and right side of the truck. The left strap will be steep, but the right one will be wide. Wide and tall strap angles are better, if that makes sense. I have done it before in a dodge ram with no problems and no chocks either. Straps on each bike to triple tree and passenger footpegs. Each bike is tied to all 4 corners of the truck.
g1craych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
Kangaroo
para bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
I'd like a bed buddy, or a nice toy hauler. Towing eats more gas though. I just wish I had a really wide ramp
black widow ramps

Sig courtesy of SpidermanSS 9-15-09

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
ellsw018
Idiots scare me

Bikes: 07 Yam R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo View Post
black widow ramps
Second that. Loaded my R1 and bro's cbr 600 into my f150 a lot this summer with those. Will use them this winter for the sled as well
ellsw018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
GreasySnipe
Don't eat the Banana

Bikes: 2010 R-1, 2013 1199 Panigale S
one thing about the strap placement that everyone has said, use something to protect the bike's paint if the straps come close to any of the painted areas. after a while those straps can cause damage, sanding away the finish- I didn't heed people's advice on this and have a small shiny bare spot on my rear swing arm from one.
GreasySnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
Kangaroo
para bellum

for 2 bikes in a truck, get a bolt with reinforced backing in the middle corner of the truckbed, I'd highly recommend a baxley so you wouldnt need to cinch down so much.

Sig courtesy of SpidermanSS 9-15-09

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #14
fjorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1craych View Post
Most important is to secure the front wheel from turning, if that happens the bike falls. I don't suggest one forward and one backwards because it will be hard to keep the front wheel on the one turned backwards from shifting or turning. You can easily build a chock frame from 2x4s for the front of your bed, all they have to do is make sure the wheel doesn't turn. Also figure out how to get the widest angle for each strap point, ie don't strap the left bike to the left side and middle of the truck. Strap it to the left side and right side of the truck. The left strap will be steep, but the right one will be wide. Wide and tall strap angles are better, if that makes sense. I have done it before in a dodge ram with no problems and no chocks either. Straps on each bike to triple tree and passenger footpegs. Each bike is tied to all 4 corners of the truck.
I disagree. You don't want to go super wide on the straps either.. Like you said, it's how you keep the front wheel straight, and tension on the suspension (without overdoing it) that keeps it in place. The bed buddy I have in my van has three anchor point: middle and one on each side. I've hauled multiple bikes across country without any issues when they are properly secured.

Here's the inside of my van a couple of years ago when I did a trackday with a friend of mine:

If you look towards the front of the bikes, you can see each bike anchors to the middle eyelet.

Here's what it looks like without bikes:

Here's with a couple of dirt bikes:

I always anchored the bikes at four point though. The first picture above, you can see the straps at the tail of the R1, and to some degree on the GSX-R. There is an E-track on the floor of the bed that they connect to. Keeps them from shifting around.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
teenR1
My First R1

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm looking at the Black Widow ramp, Pro Moto Truck Rack, and some straps for the trip. Beats buying a trailer which will sit for majority of the time. I don't tow my bike enough to purchase one.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #16
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post
Anchor points are the biggest. If there's something you can anchor below to, definitely worth looking into.

FWIW, I have the CCR Sport Bed Buddy installed in my van. They did come out with a slightly cheaper version of it called the Pro Moto Truck Rack. They custom made my Bed Buddy for two bikes only as it goes inside a van. Works perfectly and can't say enough about them.
does that bolt to the front of the bed or how is it attached to the bed

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
sircharles1
Street Runnerz M/C Natl. Prez

Bikes: '03 R1, '07 GSXR750, '08 GSXR1000... all stretched and sitting in the dirt
i have 08 dodge ram... and i fit two on the back no problem... both facing forward

i use two canyon dancers... 8 straps... and a boat load of towels so the straps dont rub the platics

What do you call a female virgin in Kentucky? Faster than her brothers.

Kentucky: 5 million people, 10 last names.

Why couldn't the baby Jesus be born in Kentucky? Because they couldn't find 3 wise men or a virgin.

Why are there so many unsolved murders in Kentucky? There are no dental records and everyone has the same DNA
sircharles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #18
fjorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
does that bolt to the front of the bed or how is it attached to the bed
CCR's bolt to the front wall of the bed. I have mine bolted inside a channel on my WeatherGuard toolchest and then the toolchest is bolted to the floor of the van.

Between the Bed Buddy, or the Pro Moto rack, I would go with the bed buddy. It may stick out a bit more into the bed. But, it's built stronger and you can customize it if you time it right with them. I happened to place my order just before they were running a batch and they accommodated my request without issues.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #19
Corny
Hacked up R1s rock!

Bikes: 2003 YZF-R1
Glad this thread wasn't Fikay's version of 2 girls 1 cup lol

I fit two sportbikes in the back of my old kingcab frontier with no issues. And I only had side mounts in that one.
Corny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement