Best battery for 2009 R1 - Page 2 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 08-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
Kevap
I'm the angry mod! LOL

Bikes: 00 R1 Sold, 05 R1 Sold, 10 Black R1, 15 R1 NEXT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel2000 View Post
I bought my 2009 R1 and put a scorpion alarm on it, And everything was fine untill the cold weather came and the battery started having trouble starting. I tried to buy a bikemasters truegel battery but the leads were on the wrong side so I sent it back and they kept insisting it was the correct battery. I'm guessing they sent me a 2008 battery and they thought it was the same. It's to bad cause I really wanted to give it a try. So the question is what is the best battery for cold crank amps and reliability? I know the alarm can draw power from the battery but when I drive the bike on a fully charged battery for 20 min and leave the bike sitting for 10 hours in the cold its a fifty fifty shot whether the bike will start, during the warm weather it does not seem to be an issue.
The battery that you received was the correct one... what you didn't see was how your old battery is positioned on the bike. I had the same issue... but once you take the old battery out you will see how the new battery should be positioned. It's in the bike 180 degrees then you expect.

sig pic courtesy of THE GODFATHER!

Greenstreak quote from Baber... "Woah... I have a log in my ass!"

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
TEAM: SO SCARED NO LEAN

Godspeed to my fallen brothers - elviswarrior, Gawarrior, Vman1300
Kevap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #22
gsxcorey
MummyMan

Bikes: 1999 r1, 07 GSXR 1k
Scorpio's rlink alarm. GPS based. it tracks your rides, where it's at. you can set up a geofence so if the bike leaves say your block you live on you'll get a text msg. it will give you a text/email when the battery is dead or super low as well.

Scorpio had one customers bike stolen. For 4 days they didn't get a signal, but then the thieves took the trash out and the alarm got a lock on a sat. from the trash and they were able to catch the guys and get the bike back. They found out he had metal all on the garage so they couldn't get a good lock on it, but it's nice that even off the bike the alarm keeps working with it's own backup. The rlink has tons of features. Most badass alarm out there imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdonniedarkox View Post
rlink?

Check us out on Facebook too.
gsxcorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #23
Ferocity02
I am my battery's tender.

Bikes: 2009 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevap View Post
The battery that you received was the correct one... what you didn't see was how your old battery is positioned on the bike. I had the same issue... but once you take the old battery out you will see how the new battery should be positioned. It's in the bike 180 degrees then you expect.
That's right. The '09 battery is symmetrical and will go in with the terminals on either side, which is why many of us have hook up the battery in reverse and blown the 50A main fuse
Akrapovic Evolution full system, AF1 reflashed ECU, DynoJet PCV, K&N "race" filter, Euro airbox mod, AIS delete, Watsen signals, Custom LED tail light, DDM 55W 6000K HID's, Scorpio SR-i900, Fan switch, '08 clutch fix, Barnett clutch springs, GYTR DB Windscreen, ASV levers, GYTR solo seat cowl, Graves sliders, Shorai battery, Power Pures

R1 Raptor 1000 Project Bike
'01 Yamaha Raptor 660 frame, '06 Yamaha R1 engine

2005 Buell XB12Scg 1203cc - Sold
Ferocity02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #24
Ferocity02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip@Ballistic View Post
The OEM battery is $87.99 from Yamaha.

My Ballistic Performance Components 8 Cell EVO 2 Battery is $159.99, weighs 1.4 pounds (7 lbs less than stock), has 240 Cranking Amps vs less than 180 for the stock battery, and comes with a three year warranty....and it fits in the palm of your hand!

Give it a look: www.ballisticparts.com
Your website says 1.81 lb and 275 CCA for the 8 cell battery. Have you come out with new products since February?
Akrapovic Evolution full system, AF1 reflashed ECU, DynoJet PCV, K&N "race" filter, Euro airbox mod, AIS delete, Watsen signals, Custom LED tail light, DDM 55W 6000K HID's, Scorpio SR-i900, Fan switch, '08 clutch fix, Barnett clutch springs, GYTR DB Windscreen, ASV levers, GYTR solo seat cowl, Graves sliders, Shorai battery, Power Pures

Old 08-05-2011, 03:35 AM   #25
MelvinAkshay
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2009 R1 - RIP, 2013 Ducati Panigale
Just installed mine. The battery isnt as small as I expected, but its pretty darn light.
http://s656.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=IMAG0183.jpg

http://s656.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=IMAG0184.jpg

http://s656.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=IMAG0185.jpg

http://s656.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=IMAG0186.jpg
PHANTOM#420
MelvinAkshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #26
gauz09
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Shorai is the best!! Got it a couple of months back...much smaller in size but they provide lot of padding material so no issues

Got my SR i-900, need to go to stealership to get it installed
Don't know much about electricals on the bike...
gauz09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #27
Ferocity02

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauz09 View Post
Shorai is the best!! Got it a couple of months back...much smaller in size but they provide lot of padding material so no issues

Got my SR i-900, need to go to stealership to get it installed
Don't know much about electricals on the bike...
I would install it yourself if I were you. The dealers don't know much about aftermarket electrics and installing the pieces in the right spots is key. They will probably just cram it all under the seat.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #28
xdonniedarkox
yield

Bikes: 2002 R1 #335 red/white livery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey View Post
Scorpio's rlink alarm. GPS based. it tracks your rides, where it's at. you can set up a geofence so if the bike leaves say your block you live on you'll get a text msg. it will give you a text/email when the battery is dead or super low as well.

Scorpio had one customers bike stolen. For 4 days they didn't get a signal, but then the thieves took the trash out and the alarm got a lock on a sat. from the trash and they were able to catch the guys and get the bike back. They found out he had metal all on the garage so they couldn't get a good lock on it, but it's nice that even off the bike the alarm keeps working with it's own backup. The rlink has tons of features. Most badass alarm out there imo.
Scorpio doenst have a very comprehensive explanantion of the rlink. Is a module that attaches to the is-900? Is it a totally different deal? Does it have the standard alarm capabilities... and do you sell either and could you pm me a price please. Thanks Corey
xdonniedarkox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #29
da rza
I eat my R1

Bikes: 07 r1 charcoal/blk
shorai and ballastic..havnt had a problem either one..have had shorai longer though....
Old 08-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #30
gsxcorey
MummyMan

Bikes: 1999 r1, 07 GSXR 1k
The rlink is 100% independent of the 900. It's an alarm on it's own.

https://www.motomummy.com/store/pages.php?pageid=26

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...cat=564&page=1

It's one hell of an alarm. Pretty much everything the i900 can do, but everything else i stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdonniedarkox View Post
Scorpio doenst have a very comprehensive explanantion of the rlink. Is a module that attaches to the is-900? Is it a totally different deal? Does it have the standard alarm capabilities... and do you sell either and could you pm me a price please. Thanks Corey

Check us out on Facebook too.
gsxcorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #31
gauz09

Damn!!!! Didn't know what you wrote about rLink when I bought my i-900 a couple of months back. Their site didn't tell all this clearly so did buy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey View Post
The rlink is 100% independent of the 900. It's an alarm on it's own.

https://www.motomummy.com/store/pages.php?pageid=26

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...cat=564&page=1

It's one hell of an alarm. Pretty much everything the i900 can do, but everything else i stated.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #32
gauz09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferocity02 View Post
I would install it yourself if I were you. The dealers don't know much about aftermarket electrics and installing the pieces in the right spots is key. They will probably just cram it all under the seat.

I would love to do it on my own...they guy is charging me 180 bucks
Searched for a "How-To" in here and on the internet...but no luck so have to them...i know it sucks
Old 08-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #33
GarethD
2009 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauz09 View Post
I would love to do it on my own...they guy is charging me 180 bucks
Searched for a "How-To" in here and on the internet...but no luck so have to them...i know it sucks
Yeah my shop crammed it under the seat, but you can run the wires intelligently and use the the fenders for the sensors, I put the main module and the siren speaker in the space where my toolbox used to be. Although the reason I am back in this thread is because the perimeter sensor killed my battery! My last battery lasted two years with the installation of the R-link my new battery lasted 2 months....WTF!

"Far reaching intelligent discourse is the privilege of the intuitive; the woeful remnant however, can only perceive ideology as far disposed from themselves as the edge of their nose from their cornea!" - G.D. 06/2008, a dark day of somber epiphany.
GarethD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #34
Hardcore Dave
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 R1, Black and Gold - The only colour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticParts View Post
The OEM battery is $87.99 from Yamaha.

My Ballistic Performance Components 8 Cell EVO 2 Battery is $159.99, weighs 1.4 pounds (7 lbs less than stock), has 240 Cranking Amps vs less than 180 for the stock battery, and comes with a three year warranty....and it fits in the palm of your hand!

Give it a look: www.ballisticparts.com

If you ride in cold weather often like the OP then I would recommend the 12 Cell for the R1. It has 360 Cranking amps and is only $30 more at $189.99

Can I get a Ballistic here in the UK?

Representing London Town...
2011 R1 Raven - Carbon Akrapovic slipons, M4 Decat, K&N Filter, Flash-Tuned ECU, Tail tidy, decent indicators, debadged, shorty levers, bling mirrors.
Hardcore Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #35
JeffD
Get some!

Bikes: Crossplane R1
Strange that Ballistic doesn't even know his product line. He's talking about the 8-cell battery, which on his website is listed at 1.7 pounds: http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc...ries/8cell.php

I got one of these and it is indeed very small. FWIW, I weighed the OEM battery and the Ballistic 8-cell on a digital scale at the shop. The Ballistic 8-cell weighed 1.6 pounds and the OEM battery was exactly 5.2 pounds heavier at 6.8 pounds. This matches up with what Sport Rider Magazine reported in their 2010 R1 upgrade story. I've only had it a few weeks and I live in FL, so no problems to report so far as the winter has been non-existent this year.
JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #36
Bovadees
Full throttle and on the edge

Bikes: '09 R1/86 XR 250/94 KLX 650/YZ 250...
I had cold weather problems with my '09 battery and found out about the Shorai LFX batteries here. Given the obvious advantages over OEM it was the obvious choice. I was amazed at how much it weighed, I might as well have been holding an AA. The polarity matched, length and depth spot on. It was not as wide as the the OEM but this was easily fixed by pulling out the box liner and using the HD foam that Shorai provided. The battery comes 90% charged and the bike started as advertised. The instructions that accompany the battery were detailed and did talk about the charger/tender automatic "desulfation mode". I've attached pictures here:
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1075
Bovadees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #37
Low-sider
My R1 eats me.

These certainly look like awesoe batteries, but it appears that the terminals are the wrong way around for the '09. The red (positive) wire is on the right hand side, while the the positive terminal on these batteries is on the left. The cable also dont seem to be long enough to reach the other side... did the 09'ers change the cables? Or am I wholey retarded?
Low-sider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:09 AM   #38
Bovadees
Full throttle and on the edge

Bikes: '09 R1/86 XR 250/94 KLX 650/YZ 250...
I had the same issue at first, the battery lies on it's side when installed. Flip it 180 and lay it down and you'll be GtG!
Bovadees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:25 AM   #39
AKDMA
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 Raven R1
I use alien motion, 8 cell. Works great, but I've never had to crank it in really cold conditions. My bike never goes below 50 degrees.
AKDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #40
Acidsamuraix
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2009 R1, 2014 DR-Z400SM
I have the Ballistic 8 cell and generally it is ok and cranks fine. I hit issues on the particularly cold days in FL (OMG 45-ish degrees), it will struggle a bit, and I may have had to push start it once, I don't remember.
My biggest issue, although it was partially my fault, is that I over-tightened my positive terminal and it must have cracked the internal nut that the positive screw goes in to...so now I can't detach the positive terminal, it just spins on the inside where I can't see. It still works, but if i ever have to replace the battery it's gonna get interesting.
-Fender Eliminator, LP flushmounts, OEM Seat Cowl
-Ballistic Evo2 8-cell battery
-ASV C5 Shorty Brake/Clutch Levers (blue), Renthal Dual Compound Grips
-Zero Gravity Corsa (light smoke)
-Goodridge SS brake lines
-Driven 520 conversion 16/45, RK GXW Chain, Probolt Sprocket Nuts
-GBRacing Case Covers, Vortex rearsets

Last edited by Acidsamuraix; 01-17-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Acidsamuraix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement