» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

07-08 R1 Mechanical Help Mechinical and Critical Issues for the 07-08 R1

Old 11-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
jmckinney
My R1 eats me.

08 R1 problems

I viewed some threads of people saying their 08 R1 dies sometimes when pulling in the clutch or after hard riding. It did'nt seem like anyone knew exactly what it was. I found this online that may help.

Technical Issues: YAMAHA YZF-R1
BRAND: YAMAHA
MODEL: YZF-R1
YEARS: 04-08
CATEGORY: MOTORCYCLE

TECHNICAL ISSUE DETAILS
These Yamaha models have a permanent magnet battery charging system, consisting of a very small diameter stator with three output wires, which feed into a very large regulator/rectifier. This unit rectifies the AC into DC and regulates this DC to 14.5V to ensure proper battery charging. The output from the regulator/rectifier connects to the battery through a main fuse. The alternator is mounted behind the cylinder block. Common fault in this system: TEMPORARY SYSTEM OVER-VOLTAGE: THIS IS A DANGEROUS SITUATION WHERE THE REGULATOR/RECTIFIER CANNOT KEEP THE VOLTAGE LOW ENOUGH AS THE OUTPUT FROM THE STATOR IS VERY HIGH. THE DANGER LIES IN THE FACT THAT THE FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM SHUTS DOWN ON OVER-VOLTAGE WITHOUT WARNING! We have seen this issue occur on machines that are ridden hard (like: on the track). The average rpm is very high, meaning the stator output is very high, so the regulator/rectifier sees a high load which raises its temperature. At a certain point the regulator cannot keep the voltage under control and the fuel injection then shuts down to protect itself. One simple solution for track bikes: disconnect one of the three stator output wires. This drops the stator dramatically but at high rpm there is still plenty of output to keep the fuel injection system going. (at typical track use rpm) For bikes used on public roads the risk of this happening is fairly small as the average engine rpm is much lower. But it is something to look at when the bike is used hard.
jmckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
cm3fly
ZEROTOHUNDRED

I wonder if this was the problem I had last week. I rode to the bank and there were no issue when I rode there. When I was ready to leave, my bike wouldn't start. There were plenty of fuel and battery was fairly new. I could hear the fuel pump running when I turned the key. Bike turned over as normal but, I couldn't get it to run. My brother tried to push start me but, still wouldn't run. Well the next day, I wanted to see if it would started and to my surprise, it started just fine. I still affraid to take it long distance fearing it will happen again.
cm3fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
jmckinney
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm3fly View Post
I wonder if this was the problem I had last week. I rode to the bank and there were no issue when I rode there. When I was ready to leave, my bike wouldn't start. There were plenty of fuel and battery was fairly new. I could hear the fuel pump running when I turned the key. Bike turned over as normal but, I couldn't get it to run. My brother tried to push start me but, still wouldn't run. Well the next day, I wanted to see if it would started and to my surprise, it started just fine. I still affraid to take it long distance fearing it will happen again.
I don't know if your issue was related to the article I found online. From what it say's I'd say no, unless you were riding very hard, at high rpm's on the way to the bank.
I'm in the middle of buying an 08 R1 at this time, and I was just wanting to see if there were any major issues concerning them. I've seen people on these forums with some complaints and just as many or more saying absolutely nothing wrong with theirs. The one I'm buying I know has been meticulously maintained and it does'nt have any problems as of now. But you never know what can come up.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Kevap
I'm the angry mod! LOL

Bikes: 00 R1 Sold, 05 R1 Sold, 10 Black R1, 15 R1 NEXT!
This has been posted over and over again here on the forum. Maybe you should try searching.

sig pic courtesy of THE GODFATHER!

Greenstreak quote from Baber... "Woah... I have a log in my ass!"

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
TEAM: SO SCARED NO LEAN

Godspeed to my fallen brothers - elviswarrior, Gawarrior, Vman1300
Kevap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
jmckinney
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevap View Post
This has been posted over and over again here on the forum. Maybe you should try searching.
I did search online which led me to the R1 forum. I saw many threads on guys bikes dying on them when pulling the clutch in and I'm sure you know the rest of their complaints. While doing more research online I came across that article, all I did was share it with everyone on here so please excuse me for trying to help someone out.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
cman60
My R1 eats me.

Hey there. Brand new to the forum. My daughter just bought a 08 and we have started learning about the bike. Downloaded a shop manual and now this is my first post. Her 08, while we haven't officially rode the bike, noticed that when it is revved in the shop it does die. Let sit, it will restart and idle. Over revving seems to be the culprit. How about a Dumb Question, what is the little yellow light that is on, on the bottom right of the instrument cluster on the dash? (sorry, didn't mean to change the subject ). Thanks for any replies, Cman.
cman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement