Feedback needed on '12 vs '08 R1. - Page 7 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #121
cyclepsycho7
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

Bikes: 06 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2ride View Post
For me, the 08 looks dated in design compared to the 09+

I rode the 09 with akra slip ons on the track and besides being a bit soft, it was a lot of fun to ride. The power delivery / sound was awesome. It reminded me of my bike (1098).

Disclaimer: I don't own any generation of R1.

Then you must think the most beautiful sportbike ever built (2004-06) really looks old. Oh well, I'll just keep riding my dinosaur . Still faster and handles as well as I'll ever need!!!!!!!!!!

cyclepsycho7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #122
cm3fly
ZEROTOHUNDRED

I never buy anything that has to grow on me, that's why I have the 08 Raven.
cm3fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #123
iGoldeneye
WERA? \_(ツ)_/ #21

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha R1 Raven - 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary (sold)
Purchased an '06 this year... Modded it... Loved it.

Rode a friend's '10 this year... Didn't like it.

Purchased a '12 this year... Modded it... Never looked back.

I'm just as fast on either bike, but my riding style fancies the crossplane... Pick your poison

Thanks Uncle P!

WERA #21

View my MOD ADDICTED 2012 R1 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post

Being a biker is not a welfare sport.
iGoldeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #124
drjak
Take the red pill

Bikes: '09 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm3fly View Post
I never buy anything that has to grow on me, that's why I have the 08 Raven.
Don't ever get married then
drjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #125
StraightSuccess
Just Me.

Bikes: ...Deciding...
Reviving this thread from the dead.

As much as I wanted a R1, I just didn't have the cake to swing it comfortably at this time. Oh well, that leaves a lot of open territory for the future; maybe a year and a half or two.

I ended up getting this:

It's a 2012 leftover Blue/Black R6. It's a start.
StraightSuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #126
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 94 VMax, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Dude, you really can't go wrong with the R6. It's my favorite bike to take to the track. You'll love it!
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #127
Chop
I eat my chicken stripes

Bikes: Ex- Fz1 Fazer 07 -> R1 2008 Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightSuccess View Post
This is very good to hear. Basically, I can get an '08, and stock for stock can battle it out with a '12. That's what I'm looking for. Although the '12s are growing on me, I still think the '08 is the best bike created IMO. The '12s are still new and the '13s are the same, so this gives me time to upgrade later if need be.
you cant go wrong with either bike. The crossplane motor - allegedly - is better at a pure race enviroment. Then again , when you ask said riders or team you are gonna divine that the R1 they got was actually part of Yamaha's promotion.
PP Tuning Rearsets GP // Power Commander 3 // Race Baffles // LeoVince Y Pipe // MRA DB Screen // Pillion Cowl // Pazzo shorties // stainless steel rear lines // Ohlins front Springs+Oil // Fiberglass body custom painted // Dunlop GP Racer 211
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/images/smilies/rmwl2.gif
Trackday fotos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ3JL...feature=digest

and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO0px...eature=channel
Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #128
StraightSuccess
Just Me.

Still loving my R6. I put 6000 miles on it in 6 months.

I want to know how much different the pull is from the R6 to the R1.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #129
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
Quote:

An R6 has no pull, compared to an R1. For street use its no contest. The R6 has 45 ft.lbs. of torque max, the R1 makes that at 3500 rpm or so.
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
quick kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #130
IMSTuner
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2008 R1
Quote:

I pull on my friends R6 all day long. At the track it may a different since he is better rider then me.

2008 R1 Black - Gold AVS C5 Levers, Puig DB Wind Screen, EvoTech Sliders Kit, T-Rex Clutch slider, Stomp Tank Pads, LeoVince Ti Factory Evo II CF end caps, Arko Y-Pipe, EvoTech Fender Elim., Proton Signals, PZRacing GearTronic Zero , Q2 tires, Flash-Tune Interface,Brembo RCS Ohlins FRT fork and TTX shock
My Build Thread http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336353

YouTube Page http://www.youtube.com/user/imstuner?feature=mhee
IMSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #131
jfisher
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2007 Yamaha R1
Sweet bike!

Some of the posts on the first page are hilarious. Were people really comparing a flashed / modded 09+ bike to keep up with a 07-08?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #132
LossPrev
Handsome

Bikes: 2012 R1, 2009 R6S(sold), 2006 SV650(sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher View Post
Sweet bike!

Some of the posts on the first page are hilarious. Were people really comparing a flashed / modded 09+ bike to keep up with a 07-08?
Depending on the mods yes. The 09+ are heavily restricted so flashing them and taking the gigantor exhaust off allows access to its potential. Whereas the potential left on the table for the 07-08 with flash/exhaust is much less. Now if you're talking stacks and what not that's not fair.

I wish the magazines would test with an exhaust and a flash or some very basic mods that 90% of owners do. Because an 09+ stock vs a stock 07-08 or any other manufacturer doesn't show well. But a modded 09+ vs a modded 07-08 or any other modded manufacturer is a much closer comparison.
LossPrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #133
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:

R6 won't compete on "pull" but depending on the rider, they will destroy you in the corners..want to venture a guess as to the % of time you are in a corner on a track vs a straight is

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #134
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
Sweet bike!

noone was suggesting heavy modifications..very basic crap which is more than reasonable to do

And it's not to "keep up with" it is the whole lower power crap due to restrictions. stock for stock and same rider i'd be willing to be either year would be damn near identical..

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #135
Papawle
I eat my R1

Quote:

beyond huge is all I can say. I swapped a friend my 08 R1 for his 06 R6 and it made me realize why I can only ride 1k's. I started out on an R6 and never had the urge for a 1k but once i got on one I never looked back. You made the right buy for a first bike but you gotta try a 1k out to get it
09 Blue R1, LeoVince Italia pipes, LeoVince Y pipe, CRG Carbon Fiber shorty levers, GYTR cowl, GYTR spools, GYTR frame sliders, Motovation Clutch sliders, Driven D3 grips, Driven bar ends, Driven 520-16/47 conversion, Driven Sprocket nuts, Motodynamic integrated tail, Lighttech quick release gas cap, Nomar rear resevoir bracket, DDM 6k HID's, Hotbodies screen, Power command V and Flashed ECU
Papawle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #136
Goatse
Crossed Up

Bikes: R1
The R1 is such a better street bike over the R6 it's not even a contest.

On the track my Planker is a blast, but I absolutely love my 08 R6 that is a dedicated track bike. They each have their strengths, but not a single one of the R6's is on the street.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Goatse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #137
StraightSuccess
Just Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick kurt View Post
An R6 has no pull, compared to an R1. For street use its no contest. The R6 has 45 ft.lbs. of torque max, the R1 makes that at 3500 rpm or so.
Damn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSTuner View Post
I pull on my friends R6 all day long. At the track it may a different since he is better rider then me.
Well, I think the R6 will stay in the family, and I'll pick up a dollar as well one day. Still wanting the '08, but love the sound of the cross planes. '08!

Quote:
Sweet bike!

Thanks.

On the street I've seen both the '08 and '09+ get busy right next to one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LossPrev View Post
Depending on the mods yes. The 09+ are heavily restricted so flashing them and taking the gigantor exhaust off allows access to its potential. Whereas the potential left on the table for the 07-08 with flash/exhaust is much less. Now if you're talking stacks and what not that's not fair.

I wish the magazines would test with an exhaust and a flash or some very basic mods that 90% of owners do. Because an 09+ stock vs a stock 07-08 or any other manufacturer doesn't show well. But a modded 09+ vs a modded 07-08 or any other modded manufacturer is a much closer comparison.
I want to start with a fresh non-modded bone stock '08, and gradually build from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
R6 won't compete on "pull" but depending on the rider, they will destroy you in the corners..want to venture a guess as to the % of time you are in a corner on a track vs a straight is
I've blew past 1000s on the street/highway while entering from an on-ramp. It takes them a second or two to catch back up on the straight though. I shot by a GSX-R 1000 entering the highway, looked back, and had him well by 8 cars. A few seconds later he was next to me. Then we both nailed it on a straight. After about a mile, he only had me 10-12 cars. The only reason I've been able to keep up with the liters I ride with is because of the corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
noone was suggesting heavy modifications..very basic crap which is more than reasonable to do

And it's not to "keep up with" it is the whole lower power crap due to restrictions. stock for stock and same rider i'd be willing to be either year would be damn near identical..
'08!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawle View Post
beyond huge is all I can say. I swapped a friend my 08 R1 for his 06 R6 and it made me realize why I can only ride 1k's. I started out on an R6 and never had the urge for a 1k but once i got on one I never looked back. You made the right buy for a first bike but you gotta try a 1k out to get it
I need to WOT right next to one why they do the same, and see the outcome. I actually need to spend a day on an '08 and an '09+. I really do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post
The R1 is such a better street bike over the R6 it's not even a contest.

On the track my Planker is a blast, but I absolutely love my 08 R6 that is a dedicated track bike. They each have their strengths, but not a single one of the R6's is on the street.

I so believe/know everything you said is true.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #138
StraightSuccess
Just Me.

Some eye candy (maybe not for R1 owners, but eye candy never the less)!

Old 10-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #139
StraightSuccess
Just Me.

It's a damn shame!

This damn forum has got me going to look at a clean '08 this week! SMDH! Knowing me, I'd probably buy it too.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #140
IMSTuner
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2008 R1
Quote:
It's a damn shame!

This damn forum has got me going to look at a clean '08 this week! SMDH! Knowing me, I'd probably buy it too.
Do it ! You won't regret it.

2008 R1 Black - Gold AVS C5 Levers, Puig DB Wind Screen, EvoTech Sliders Kit, T-Rex Clutch slider, Stomp Tank Pads, LeoVince Ti Factory Evo II CF end caps, Arko Y-Pipe, EvoTech Fender Elim., Proton Signals, PZRacing GearTronic Zero , Q2 tires, Flash-Tune Interface,Brembo RCS Ohlins FRT fork and TTX shock
My Build Thread http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336353

YouTube Page http://www.youtube.com/user/imstuner?feature=mhee
IMSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement