Performance enhancing : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 12-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
ern7jr
My R1 eats me.

Performance enhancing

Alright I just purchased a 06 r1 raven addition with 7k miles on it. I'm posting because I wanted to see what would be a couple of performance recommendation to start with. I purchased an cf yoshi slip on but what else would u guys recommend???...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
ern7jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
poizen bananaz
That's it

Bikes: 05 R1
Performance as in faster or better handling? Because there's a monster list of things. Velocity stacks, Pc3 or 5, sprockets, cat delete to complement slip ons, air filter, suspension, brakes. The list goes on. Welcome to I hate money and love upgrades on my bike. Lol

poizen bananaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
poizen bananaz
That's it

Bikes: 05 R1
Lol sorry. I'd recommend stacks, air filter and pc. Good to start with. not too much money.

poizen bananaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
MeanOne
Recreational adrenaline user

Bikes: 2008 Raven R1
By "performance enhancing" I assume you mean you want more power. But before focusing on increasing power (of which the bike already has plenty), try to set up the bike so you make the power you do have more usable.

1) Get your suspension dialed in for your weight/riding style.

2) -1 (16T) front sprocket. $30 mod, 30 minute install, much better throttle response and street manners.

3) And if you're due for tires any time soon, bump it up to a 190/55 out back. You'll thank me later.

This will make your bike feel faster and perform better all around, without too much expense or complications.

Check out my Black 'n' Gold '08 Build Thread

Last edited by MeanOne; 12-01-2012 at 04:37 PM.
MeanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
gsxcorey
MummyMan

Bikes: 1999 r1, 07 GSXR 1k
If you want power then your best bet would be to get a ypipe and a fuel controller. After that a chain kit as people above stated.

Check us out on Facebook too.
gsxcorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
pecions
My R1 eats me.

For a bit more money than a new powercomm, you can flash your stock ECU into YEC, much better than any additional ECU. In addition, for R1 till 2006, you don't need USB cable, injection and advance can be changed easely from the dash.
pecions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecions View Post
For a bit more money than a new powercomm, you can flash your stock ECU into YEC, much better than any additional ECU. In addition, for R1 till 2006, you don't need USB cable, injection and advance can be changed easely from the dash.
And what experience to you have to say you can flash your ECU into a YEC??? Implying they are the same hardware

You can absolutely flash a ECU to get different perameters...but to make it a YEC...the experts say no.

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
pecions
My R1 eats me.

The hardware is the same.
If you don't want to trust me obviously you can, but think that may be that some "expert" who are not able to do something, say that it is not possible to do... I can say to you for sure that it is possible.

You can make all tests you want on a dyno, you'll get same results. In addition, after the flashing you can connect to the ecu with the original YEC interface and software.
In addition, the flash can be made maintaining the oem dash mode, or like the yec, with the temperature oversized.
But this is posible only for R1 07-12 and R6 06-12. For older models, only yec mode is possible.
Also others ecus are tuneable, suzuki, honda, BMW, and Kawasaki can be converted into their ecu race-kit correspectives.
For all of them, it is necessary to open the ecus to get access and change and add some components. In all these cases, hardawares are not the same and holes have to be done to get acced to the main board. Actually the cost of these conversions is greater than yamaha for this reason, it is a very hard and delicate work.
But for yamaha everything can be made by sofware.
From the outside, you can not distinguish a stock ECU, a flashed or a genuine YEC, except for the sticker.
Actually, many pilots here in EU cheat in stock championships using flashed ecu with stock dash mode...

Last edited by pecions; 12-02-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
DerrickWade
I killed em Gilbert

Bikes: 04 R1 and 72 Z50
Buy a turbo.

Courtesy of Petrol Spice
DerrickWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
malikowy
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: R1 rn12 2004 blue ;)
@pecions

how it looks before and after in HP in R1 2004? any dyno charts?

Last edited by malikowy; 12-03-2012 at 05:18 AM.
malikowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
pecions
My R1 eats me.

The results are the same when you buy a YEC ecu. With a race full-line exhaust and a BMC or K&N type filter you can gain up to 10hp mapping in a dyno. But what is also improoved is driveability.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
joshuajackson85
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: 2005 R1
umm im no expert but ...

I'm pretty sure a YEC ECU wouldn't be to healthy for a super stock R1. It takes a little more that an ECU flash making it YEC to add the horsepower your talking about. Read attached PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf YZF-R1_Race_Manual.pdf (1.46 MB, 15 views)
joshuajackson85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
pecions
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajackson85 View Post
I'm pretty sure a YEC ECU wouldn't be to healthy for a super stock R1. It takes a little more that an ECU flash making it YEC to add the horsepower your talking about. Read attached PDF.
What should I read in the R1 04 manual???
You can gain up to 10hp installing a full exhaust line, a race air filter and a YEC ecu mapping in a dyno. That is what people use to get here. Consider YEC gives you 1000rpm more also.
But just installing the ecu with stock exhaust and oem filter it is impossible to gain 10hp!

Anyway, this is not so far from what you can get with others race ecus,
for example, HP race ecu of BMW s1000rr is able to add a lot of torque and around 10hp in middle if I remeber well, just installing it, without mapping in the dyno! This information is available in the official Motorrad web-page.

Flashing a zx10 2008 gave around 7hp just flashing it, without mapping, with stock exahust, basically just for running 1000rpm more.

Yoshimura reflash also is very generous, specially because suzukis are pretty limited with stock ecu.
Anyway, unfortunately I'm too new in the forum, but is there anybody "older" here who has already flashed his ecu before???
That would be the easiest way to know if it really works as it is expected to do!

Last edited by pecions; 12-04-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
mattf
My other bike is your sister

Bikes: '01 R1 track, '04 R1 street, '00 DRZ400S, '10 Husky 510SMR
I'd say drop $200 on a track day. You'll figure out real quick what is really holding back any perceived lack of performance.

NESBA #777
mattf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement