Sprocket and speed : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 12-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
mnd
When in doubt....throttle out

Bikes: 2012 R1
Sprocket and speed

Hey all,
Just bought a 2012 r1. Love all things about it except it rather tall 1st gear and the difficulty of which it wheelies at low speed / rpm. Had an 02 before this and it was much easier to pop up than the current.
Maybe it's just me!

Regardless, I'm keen to go down a tooth on the front but am slightly concerned by the speed error and additional Kms (miles for the US guys) it will put on the bike considering I bought it brand new.

Anybody know how to calculate the error accurately and/or recommend a healer in AUS. Also, I know a flash tune can fix this but can a PCV or a Bazaa?

Thanks heaps

Last edited by mnd; 12-04-2012 at 02:58 PM.
mnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
CupraR1
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 R1
Go with Flash Tune...It sorted mine out with same problem without speedo issues
CupraR1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Stonewall
ROWDY

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
-1 makes about 10mph off at 70mph. I used the speedohealer and corrected for the sprocket and the factory error. A lot of different ways to correct this. Just all depends on what you have planed in the future. Like mapping, Quick shifters and so on.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
mnd
When in doubt....throttle out

Bikes: 2012 R1
Not planning on Flashtune - not while i've got a 2 year factory warranty.
mnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Hailwood
Ditch Digger

Bikes: '03 Yamaha FZ1, '95 Ducati 916, '10 Yamaha R1 LE, '09 Kawasaki KLR650
The 16T front option is a great way to improve the rideability, and I really like it on my 10. I'm currently using Flash-Tune to adjust my speedo, but I've heard good things about the SpeedoDRD product that Motomummy sells as a reasonably priced option if you don't want to do a flash.
Hailwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:27 AM   #6
kevnev
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: '09 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailwood View Post
I'm currently using Flash-Tune to adjust my speedo, but I've heard good things about the SpeedoDRD product that Motomummy sells as a reasonably priced option if you don't want to do a flash.
+1 on the SpeedoDRD. I used my GPS to find my actual speed compared to the indicated speed and set the correction from that.
kevnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #7
fastkx125
I <3 My Honda

Bikes: 2010 R1 Rossi Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnd View Post
Not planning on Flashtune - not while i've got a 2 year factory warranty.
You can always flash back to stock if you need to visit the dealer, But your talking about wheelieing the bike so I cant see you being that worried about what the dealer thinks. FlashTune the R1 and go get a beatup F4i or 636 to do wheelies lol.
fastkx125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
gsxcorey
MummyMan

Bikes: 1999 r1, 07 GSXR 1k
SpeedoDRD all the way. Great warranty, smaller, same features, and much less expensive. We have a calculator on our website that will tell you the % that you'll be off. There is a link in the SpeedoDRD description that takes you to the calculator.

https://www.motomummy.com/chain-kits...abs-speedodrd/

Check us out on Facebook too.
gsxcorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Silentblack
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bikes: 05 R1, 11 R1
I don't know why these posts bug me so much. Anyway the speedo is off period. When I picked up my 12 r6 I GPS myself on the way home. It was a little over 5% off, a new bike and still off bugs the shit out me. I put a speedo healer on all my bike for that reason. That way I'm also set when I change gearing too.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Stonewall
ROWDY

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentblack View Post
I don't know why these posts bug me so much. Anyway the speedo is off period. When I picked up my 12 r6 I GPS myself on the way home. It was a little over 5% off, a new bike and still off bugs the shit out me. I put a speedo healer on all my bike for that reason. That way I'm also set when I change gearing too.
Yeah they are off about six% right out of the box!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
drjak
Take the red pill

Bikes: '09 R1
-1 on the cs and flash the thing. You can flash it back for any warranty issues. It'll be like riding a different bike.
drjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
ERnurse
Banned

Bikes: 2010 R1 Raven
Mod addiction

I recently went -1 on the front, 3/4 exhaust, airbox mod and ecunleashed flash. ENTIRELY different bike. Unless you care about having a button on the bars to check your highest recorded top speed go with the speedo drd. $75 vs $116. Very easy to install and calibrate. Once you do 1 mod it's all over from there.
ERnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement