Dealerships can be funny! : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
modidy
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2010 R1, 06 R6, 01 SV650s (trackbike)
Dealerships can be funny!

So I took a visit over to the local Harley dealership today. Believe it or not, I'm considering buying a new Street Glide. I will be trading the R1 in. My R1 is a 2010 with 5,300 miles on it. It needs new tire's, and that's it! They offered me $6500 for trade in.... I decided at that point, it was time for me to leave. I just didn't feel like playing the game today. I know enough about trades, that I don't expect retail, but I did expect an offer in the $8k-8,500 range.... When I traded my 07 Busa (with 16k miles), in for it back in July, the dealership gave me $6500 for it. Which is what I wanted, and thought was fair, for a trade in.
I know I will here some crap from some of you about buying a Harley, and particularly trading in the R1 to buy one, but I'm ready for something different, and a cruiser is what I want. I will be buying a 600 for those occasional days when I want to run out and hit some turns, but most of my riding from here on out will be some cruising. The wife can go with me, since she can muster up the courage to ride her 09 250R I bought her almost a year ago....
Of course the dealer also showed me sticker for the 2013 Street Glide.... I simply told them I would think about it and come back when I'm ready to commit to a deal. I told my sales rep that basically $8K for my R1 was what it was going to take to get me to make a serious consideration. I will also probably be looking at doing $19,500 out the door for the Street Glide. Not trying to play hardball, but I feel those are fair and reasonable numbers.

Let me know what you all think.... please hold the flaming. I love the R1, but after 20 years on sportbike's, I'm ready for a change.... besides, I still have my SV650 track bike to get my jones fix a few times a month
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
DouglasyzfR1
Sir Douglas

Bikes: 03 R6- Bike Heaven 03 R1- Sold 08 R1- Current
You should be biatch slapped for bringing the R1 in to trade for a Harley??? Lol
Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
drjak
Take the red pill

Bikes: '09 R1
If I wanted a cruiser and I don't, I'd buy metric. Hardlys you are paying twice the price for half the performance. I'd be looking at a ST1300 for wifey on the back, he'll for $19,500 you could get a Goldwing w/Nav. Anything but a Hardly Ableson. Might as well pick our your casket and final resting place
drjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
pressure
boomer sooner

Bikes: 07 Vrscdx-sold. '13 14R
Interesting thread as I did this back in early '09 (traded in a 08 Gsxr 1k for a Vrod)

Yep, I got ass raped on trade in & the dealer didnt even offer a reach around.....

Now here I am looking to trade the Vrod in for a hyper bike (zx14r or Busa)
Part of me just says keep it to avoid the dealer bs & pick up a left over '11 R6
for spirted rides?

Not bashing HD, yet in my personal experence this will be the last HD I own.

My V rod has been nothing but a headache ie; leaks, numerous parts replaced, electrical gremlins etc etc.. all with under 6k miles. WTF?

Best of luck to you & I hope you get a fair deal.
Maybe I will as well?

Last edited by pressure; 12-05-2012 at 03:50 AM.
pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
capecodr1
My R1 eats me.

gona play devil's advocate here... i usually tell people if i can buy a loaf of bread for a dollar at "x" store why would i go to "y" store and pay $2? same goes for trade in. probably offered you $6,500 because that's what they can usually buy one for. if they bought at retail and sold at retail they wouldn't be in business long. any dealer who is offering to buy at or near retail is getting their money from you in one way or another. probably because what they are selling is gona get jacked up to 120% of retail.
one great thing about a free market society, you can always sell your bike yourself and walk into the dealer with CASH. it's always the BEST. always get a price BEFORE you discuss trade in, cash, finance ect.
btw I'M NOT a dealer...

Last edited by capecodr1; 12-05-2012 at 05:30 AM.
capecodr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
rexmitchell
I am the vanilla gorilla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by modidy View Post
So I took a visit over to the local Harley dealership today. Believe it or not, I'm considering buying a new Street Glide. I will be trading the R1 in. My R1 is a 2010 with 5,300 miles on it. It needs new tire's, and that's it! They offered me $6500 for trade in.... I decided at that point, it was time for me to leave. I just didn't feel like playing the game today. I know enough about trades, that I don't expect retail, but I did expect an offer in the $8k-8,500 range.... When I traded my 07 Busa (with 16k miles), in for it back in July, the dealership gave me $6500 for it. Which is what I wanted, and thought was fair, for a trade in.
I know I will here some crap from some of you about buying a Harley, and particularly trading in the R1 to buy one, but I'm ready for something different, and a cruiser is what I want. I will be buying a 600 for those occasional days when I want to run out and hit some turns, but most of my riding from here on out will be some cruising. The wife can go with me, since she can muster up the courage to ride her 09 250R I bought her almost a year ago....
Of course the dealer also showed me sticker for the 2013 Street Glide.... I simply told them I would think about it and come back when I'm ready to commit to a deal. I told my sales rep that basically $8K for my R1 was what it was going to take to get me to make a serious consideration. I will also probably be looking at doing $19,500 out the door for the Street Glide. Not trying to play hardball, but I feel those are fair and reasonable numbers.

Let me know what you all think.... please hold the flaming. I love the R1, but after 20 years on sportbike's, I'm ready for a change.... besides, I still have my SV650 track bike to get my jones fix a few times a month
While 6500 is a little low your expectations of getting 8500 might be a little high as well. 7-7500 is the most you can expect honestly.

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
I'd rather be ass-to-ass with Kirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
That dude is a walking tampon.
rexmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
6500-7000 on trade doesn't seem out of line. It needs new tires which is a 250 more. and I'm assuming since you didn't say how it was compeltely modded, it has only the standard stuff. They are selling in the 8500-9000 range all day here private so for them to take the risk and make $1-$2k isn't totally out of line. You wanting 8-8500 is, especially not wanting to pay retail on the bike you are buying.

I'll agree with the above on the Harley. You can get a Star Motorcycle that is more reliable for a lot less money

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
AKDMA
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 Raven R1
I'd have to say 7500 is probably a fair trade in value. I'd get a metric cruiser though, roadstar warrior FTW.
AKDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
cyclepsycho7
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

Bikes: 06 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressure View Post
Interesting thread as I did this back in early '09 (traded in a 08 Gsxr 1k for a Vrod)

Yep, I got ass raped on trade in & the dealer didnt even offer a reach around.....

Now here I am looking to trade the Vrod in for a hyper bike (zx14r or Busa)
Part of me just says keep it to avoid the dealer bs & pick up a left over '11 R6
for spirted rides?

Not bashing HD, yet in my personal experence this will be the last HD I own.

My V rod has been nothing but a headache ie; leaks, numerous parts replaced, electrical gremlins etc etc.. all with under 6k miles. WTF?

Best of luck to you & I hope you get a fair deal.
Maybe I will as well?
Like others have said, I'd get a metric cruiser if I was going the cruiser route. The Vrod is a relatively new Harley design and has had it's problems throughout the first few years. The Streetglide's engine has gone through many changes for the better and is a pretty reliable motor so I wouldn't worry so much on dependability.

cyclepsycho7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
Roadlaw
I do it bike style

Bikes: 2011 R1 Candy Red Raven
Just my $.02. Think long and hard before you do this. Last December I traded my 07 GSXR 750 for a Yamaha Stryker because I thought I was ready for something different and wanted a cruiser.

Short story shorter, I hated every minute of it. 8 months later, I traded it in for a 2011 R1.

I havent stopped smiling since.
2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (sold)
2011 Yamaha Star Stryker (sold)
2011 Yamaha YZF-R1
Roadlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
select20
Speed Rules

Bikes: Sadly no Bike atm, not brave enough yet.
If I were you I would skip the HD. I'll be the next person to say their a waste of money. You can get way better cruisers for a fractions of the price. I was getting tired of my GSXR600 and R1 at one point. That's when my wife and I decided to buy me a New Busa, and her a ZX14. Well, the Busa still felt like a sport bike and I hated it. The ZX14 was a perfect feeling for me between a cruiser and a sport bike. I rode my ZX14 from Columbia, SC to Cincinnati, Oh in one day and honestly nothing was sore, nothing hurt.

Just my 2 cents. Oh yeah, and try and sell you bike for cash to a private owner. Might be a headache, but worth the extra couple of g's you get.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
ilovetzr250s
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: '05 R1
If you want a change get a supermoto

Last edited by ilovetzr250s; 12-05-2012 at 01:41 PM.
ilovetzr250s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
txbitt
Hook'em Horns

Bikes: 2007 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasyzfR1 View Post
You should be biatch slapped for bringing the R1 in to trade for a Harley??? Lol

Signature courtesy of Petrol Spice
txbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
If you want a cruiser, go to where your R1 was bought and check out the new (09+) V Max. Very comfortable AND powerful, most likely to get better trade in $$$ as well. Do yourself a favor and test ride one of any bike you THINK you want.
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
quick kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
BLK JDM
Gold Forks!

Bikes: 12 ZX-10R, 12 R6
Back in September I traded my stock 2008 R1 w/ 9k miles in for my 2012 ZX-10R. Dealership gave my $7500 trade in NO QUESTIONS ASKED! So I think you definitely deserve more than $6500.

Oh & good luck with the street glide. The baggers are growing on me!! Street Glide or Road Glide you can't go wrong! It takes A LOT of money to get them looking good and riding fast though!
BLK JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #16
Racer Dude
I eat my R1

Bikes: 00 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjak View Post

Hardly Ableson.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #17
jake300win
assfault junkies

Bikes: 2007 r1
The title of this thread should have been "I came out of the closet and need to sell my R1"

"That doesn't sound right but I don't know enough about stars to dispute it"
jake300win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #18
tiatool
Chickenstrip Inspector

Bikes: 08 R1 Raven, 05 VStar 1100
Traded my trackbike for a vstar a couple months ago. Mainly for the same reasons you stated. The wife can comfortably ride, ect... I still ride and love my R1 but I must admit I get a stupid smile everytime I ride the cruiser.

I did just find out about yamahas poor design regarding the exhaust removal to access the oil filter and frequent valve adjustments but that is the price of owning a toy. I will be getting the filter relocation kit for sure.

Ghostrider Squadron
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #19
ALTON05R1
Living Life Like a Mad Man

I traded in my Shadow for a 05 R1, once I got to riding the R1 I did miss the easy riding of the cruisers but at the same time I liked the thrill of the R1. Now that I ride two up with my fiance she doesnt want to drive the bike but she love to ride and riding 2 up on a R1 isnt my style, so I will probably get a a cruiser for the next bike.

Sig by the great Uncle P
ALTON05R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #20
shhaker
over da hump.....

Bikes: 2004 R1//2007 GSX-R600 sold, 2012 Aprilia RSV4 FACTORY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepsycho7 View Post
Like others have said, I'd get a metric cruiser if I was going the cruiser route. The Vrod is a relatively new Harley design and has had it's problems throughout the first few years. The Streetglide's engine has gone through many changes for the better and is a pretty reliable motor so I wouldn't worry so much on dependability.
relatively new design....lol 2001...i guess compared to the 1950's technology and the 2020 price it is fairly new. if i was gonna get any comparative to a hardley...it would be a american ironhorse or something like that. .....i do agree 6500 is low.