Ohlins feedback : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 12-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
mikerbiker
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2008 R1 Black
Ohlins feedback

I know there's a lot of suspension threads but here's my Q: I ride street and maybe 4 track days a year. If I scrimp and save I could get the ohlins ttx and 30mm forks early next year for the usual $2.5k+. I'm 205 lbs with an 08 R1 w OEM suspension. Of course I could spend that money on a lot of other things. I don't run race tires at the track. Is it worth it? Is it overkill? I'm never going to have race winnings to offset the cost; I run in intermediate class. Anyone get the ohlins and think they're NOT worth.the.cost if you're a recreational rider w some track days? Thanks for advice,

It's ALL GOOD, until it goes bad...
mikerbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Stonewall
ROWDY

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerbiker View Post
I know there's a lot of suspension threads but here's my Q: I ride street and maybe 4 track days a year. If I scrimp and save I could get the ohlins ttx and 30mm forks early next year for the usual $2.5k+. I'm 205 lbs with an 08 R1 w OEM suspension. Of course I could spend that money on a lot of other things. I don't run race tires at the track. Is it worth it? Is it overkill? I'm never going to have race winnings to offset the cost; I run in intermediate class. Anyone get the ohlins and think they're NOT worth.the.cost if you're a recreational rider w some track days? Thanks for advice,
Good question! I have wondered about the bang for the buck on the street myself. But they are purty!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Street...NO WAY. Track...will you notice a difference, Yes...can you go fast on the stock stuff (changing out for proper springs)..absolutely.

So if you are skrimping and saving.....I would use the money on a class and more trackdays

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
AKDMA
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 Raven R1
Are you exceeding the limit of your street tires? I'd start with a fork respring/revalve for 450-550$ and a perhaps a shock for the additional 11xx. It will be more than you need most likely, and a lot cheaper than the cartridges. I'm sure you've set sag and played with the adjusters on your stock stuff.
AKDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
drjak
Take the red pill

Bikes: '09 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
Street...NO WAY. Track...will you notice a difference, Yes...can you go fast on the stock stuff (changing out for proper springs)..absolutely.

So if you are skrimping and saving.....I would use the money on a class and more trackdays
I'm going to respectfully disagree.

On the street you will notice it too. Ohlins RT's or Carts soak up road irregularities much better than stock and are more precise when cornering in the twisties. What this does is give you a higher safety margin in the event that you have to correct for debris, animals, potholes, anything in the road. Also if you go into hot in a corner and need to lean more to scrub speed you'll notice it. Shit, in all reality you'll notice it always, I do. The feel is much better, more responsive and flat out soak up road irregularities better. All of this leads to safety.

IMO: new springs --> Ohlins Carts --> RT's --> Superbike forks (Gas charged)

The Ohlins Carts are about 85% of the RT's IMHO. I've run modified forks (spring/valving changes), Ohlins Valves and springs, Ohlins Carts, and RT's. I prefer the RT's.

You can get the carts and rear shock for $2k even and it's worth every dollar. I'd skip out on flush mounts, fender eliminators, exhaust, fcking everything and do the suspension first, always.
drjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
AKDMA
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 Raven R1
You sure on the 2k even? With springs, that's about dealer cost. (19xx)
AKDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
2WEELFERRUM04
STFU and ride!!

Bikes: '14 HP4 COMP '04 R1 Track '07 R1
some day i'll be able to afford them and wont give a fawk what you guys think
it will be my choice

flame on

2WEELFERRUM04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjak View Post
I'm going to respectfully disagree.

On the street you will notice it too. Ohlins RT's or Carts soak up road irregularities much better than stock and are more precise when cornering in the twisties. What this does is give you a higher safety margin in the event that you have to correct for debris, animals, potholes, anything in the road. Also if you go into hot in a corner and need to lean more to scrub speed you'll notice it. Shit, in all reality you'll notice it always, I do. The feel is much better, more responsive and flat out soak up road irregularities better. All of this leads to safety.

IMO: new springs --> Ohlins Carts --> RT's --> Superbike forks (Gas charged)

The Ohlins Carts are about 85% of the RT's IMHO. I've run modified forks (spring/valving changes), Ohlins Valves and springs, Ohlins Carts, and RT's. I prefer the RT's.

You can get the carts and rear shock for $2k even and it's worth every dollar. I'd skip out on flush mounts, fender eliminators, exhaust, fcking everything and do the suspension first, always.
I never said you wouldn't notice a difference of some sort no matter what you ride with them.

However, he is scrimping and saving to do so. On the street, RT forks are 100% overkill. You can talk about going in too hot, margin of safety, etc and I'll just say to use the money on more trackdays or a school to learn how to ride. That will give you more margin of safety than any equipment can.

On the track you use the suspension more than that street therefore you will notice it more and faster. But again, once you spring it for your weight, the stock stuff will work and you can go very fast on it. There are guys well into A group on stock stuff

It comes down to the skrimping and saving...if you have the money to blow by all means get them. If you don't, trackdays/school will be far more benificial to your ability and speed than any piece of equipment you can buy.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
sinncere
'Tis the Season!

Bikes: '02 CRT-R1, '07 OEM-R1
I've never raced, and probably never will. But I've been an avid track rider for years now, and about 2/3's of the year I commute on the bike and ride during the weekends.

For the longest time I thought I was the kind of rider who wouldn't be able to notice the difference in upgraded suspension. Perchance, I found a set of Ohlins FG43 forks for a price that NO ONE could refuse. Then I found out I was wrong about not being able to tell the difference. The best way I can describe the immediate difference in feel that I felt was how much the tires were in constant contact with the road. Like it didn't matter the high or low-speed bumps, the bike soaked it up and the tire would never leave the ground, not even by a hair's breath. And this was on my first ride on them on the street.

On the track, they are amazing, if not just for their ability to handle how much you throw at them without punishing the tires (rear especially, thank you Penske 8987).

Does this mean I've reached the limit of my OEM suspension? Probably not. But it does mean that I've been riding my bike long enough to actually be able to tell the difference from upgraded suspension.

That said, I probably wouldn't have purchased the forks if it weren't for the price I couldn't refuse.

My two cents.

My further two cents? Because you wrote you don't run race tires (or race DOT's?) at the track, I'd say just find a used set of wheels and rotors for your bike, buy some fresh race DOT's, and go from there. With stickier track tires, I guarantee you you'd feel the difference.
sinncere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
SSPilot
Noodles, don't noodles...

Bikes: 06 R1 50th, 09 R1 Blue, 03 Graves R6
Contact Race Tech. For less than half the cost of Ohlins TTX and internals, you can rebuild your OEM stuff to suit your needs. They do an outstanding job and for your type of riding it is money very well spent. Use the difference to get tires and more trackdays and you will be set.

Thanks Petrol!
Thanks to:WWW.SuperbikeSupply.com
SSPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
gsxcorey
MummyMan

Bikes: 1999 r1, 07 GSXR 1k
Have you even set up your oem stuff yet? If you haven't start there as it's free and can make the world of a difference.

Check us out on Facebook too.
gsxcorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
drjak
Take the red pill

Quote:
I never said you wouldn't notice a difference of some sort no matter what you ride with them.

However, he is scrimping and saving to do so. On the street, RT forks are 100% overkill. You can talk about going in too hot, margin of safety, etc and I'll just say to use the money on more trackdays or a school to learn how to ride. That will give you more margin of safety than any equipment can.

On the track you use the suspension more than that street therefore you will notice it more and faster. But again, once you spring it for your weight, the stock stuff will work and you can go very fast on it. There are guys well into A group on stock stuff

It comes down to the skrimping and saving...if you have the money to blow by all means get them. If you don't, trackdays/school will be far more benificial to your ability and speed than any piece of equipment you can buy.
I've been riding over two decades and started going to the track in 2000. RT's are never overkill IMHO. They soak up the bumps so much better than anything I've used. Do you need them, no. But then again you don't need a motorcycle either, most don't. Suspension needs to be sorted for your weight but you won't get the feel out of the stock forks that you can with the RT's, CARTS, etc.

Unless you are perfect you'll cook a corner once in a while whether that is in the twisties or on the track. I've taken a routine corner that I've taken hundreds of times before, only there is debris or something else in the road, and modified or aftermarket forks helped. Not only with feel, but soaking up my shot corner than I'm now trying to ride out of. Anything that increases feel and soaks up the bumps better means faster times at the track but also means a nice safety margin on the street. Overkill for safety isn't a waste of money to me but may be to you, YMMV. Aftermarket stuff and bump absorption will also help with fatigue at a track day. I don't know about you but by the end of the day I'm fatigued, especially in the TX heat. I noticed a difference going to track days back to back with OEM forks with spring changes and Ohlins gear. By the last session with Ohlins I was less fatigued, and had more in human tank for the last session of the day, which many times I'd skip as in my time I'd seen more wrecks late in the day than any. (that and the first session after the winter with a few riding too hard too early).

You said street "No way" and I'm saying bullshit to that, nothing more. Dialed in aftermarket suspension has saved my noodle more than once and enabled me to be low/highside free for over a decade street and track.

Overkill on the street is awesome in my view, Greater safety margin.

And OP, I don't know anyone who has gone Ohlins who has said they wished they hadn't. RT's are expensive (I've bought both sets of mine used) but the carts are a much better buy. If you want to scrimp (I have on most of my parts) then be patient and routinely checked the classifieds here. I've seen many sets of RT's as well as Carts and TTX's go up in the classifieds for substantial savings over new in the classifieds here. This is how I gathered at least half of my parts, by being patient and waiting for those with bigger wallets than me, sell their swag.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
mikerbiker
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2008 R1 Black
Thanks so far for the information. Yes, i previously had the OEM suspension set by a local speed shop that made a significant improvement. I'll re-read everything to keep learing and figure out the way to go.

As for "...Are you exceeding the limit of your street tires? " i guess i'm not sure, so probably not. I run Diablo Rosso Corsa which seem very good. Had a low-side (no video or witnesses) at NJMP thunderbolt this year on decreasing-radius turn but, I'm guessing, it was due to shifting body position mid-turn as much as anything. Throttle was smooth IMO. thanks again!

It's ALL GOOD, until it goes bad...

Last edited by mikerbiker; 12-05-2012 at 11:41 AM.
mikerbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
mattf
My other bike is your sister

Bikes: '01 R1 track, '04 R1 street, '00 DRZ400S, '10 Husky 510SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPilot View Post
Contact Race Tech. For less than half the cost of Ohlins TTX and internals, you can rebuild your OEM stuff to suit your needs. They do an outstanding job and for your type of riding it is money very well spent. Use the difference to get tires and more trackdays and you will be set.
+1

RaceTech can have your stock stuff revalved/resprung and set up to work well beyond what you expect (and likely well beyond what you can push your bike to).

Ohlins is pretty (I've got it on my 04 street bike) but well set up stock stuff (like on my 01 track bike....front and rear has been RaceTech'd) is damn close for less than half the price.

NESBA #777
mattf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjak View Post
I've been riding over two decades and started going to the track in 2000. RT's are never overkill IMHO. They soak up the bumps so much better than anything I've used. Do you need them, no. But then again you don't need a motorcycle either, most don't. Suspension needs to be sorted for your weight but you won't get the feel out of the stock forks that you can with the RT's, CARTS, etc.

Unless you are perfect you'll cook a corner once in a while whether that is in the twisties or on the track. I've taken a routine corner that I've taken hundreds of times before, only there is debris or something else in the road, and modified or aftermarket forks helped. Not only with feel, but soaking up my shot corner than I'm now trying to ride out of. Anything that increases feel and soaks up the bumps better means faster times at the track but also means a nice safety margin on the street. Overkill for safety isn't a waste of money to me but may be to you, YMMV. Aftermarket stuff and bump absorption will also help with fatigue at a track day. I don't know about you but by the end of the day I'm fatigued, especially in the TX heat. I noticed a difference going to track days back to back with OEM forks with spring changes and Ohlins gear. By the last session with Ohlins I was less fatigued, and had more in human tank for the last session of the day, which many times I'd skip as in my time I'd seen more wrecks late in the day than any. (that and the first session after the winter with a few riding too hard too early).

You said street "No way" and I'm saying bullshit to that, nothing more. Dialed in aftermarket suspension has saved my noodle more than once and enabled me to be low/highside free for over a decade street and track.

Overkill on the street is awesome in my view, Greater safety margin.

And OP, I don't know anyone who has gone Ohlins who has said they wished they hadn't. RT's are expensive (I've bought both sets of mine used) but the carts are a much better buy. If you want to scrimp (I have on most of my parts) then be patient and routinely checked the classifieds here. I've seen many sets of RT's as well as Carts and TTX's go up in the classifieds for substantial savings over new in the classifieds here. This is how I gathered at least half of my parts, by being patient and waiting for those with bigger wallets than me, sell their swag.
Well fk I'm doing it wrong because Ohlins hasn't saved my ass on the track

BTW..forks have nothing to do with a Highside

I'll say it for the last time....Ohlins will help...your riding ability will help MORE. If you are scrimping and saving....work on your riding ability first

Old 12-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
HKr1
-.-- .- -- .- .... .-

Bikes: YZFR1SPV
If you dont have any complaints about your suspension now... Dont worry about it. Just have fun and ride!

If you feel like your suspension is letting you down, Ohlins is good stuff. Will transform your bike, get to learn how to ride it all over again.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Quote:

I'll say it for the last time....Ohlins will help...your riding ability will help MORE. If you are scrimping and saving....work on your riding ability first
Must be rider error.

Ohlins do almost everything. They even help if you overcook a corner

Op, I'd say spend the money, what's the worst that could happen? You'll be giving them more $$ for R&D anyways

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #18
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
Ohlins do almost everything. They even help if you overcook a corner

Old 12-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
greenstreak9205
look for special phrase here

Bikes: That signature bike

Like its been discussed, I guess it depends on exactly what you want to get out of your money and where you're at with your rider level.

The Man, The Legend Uncle P

Phantom Squadron CO Check Out Phantom Squadron Here
greenstreak9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #20
drjak
Take the red pill

Quote:

you know what I meant oh fast one.

That is not what you said though, you said "no way" in terms of using premium kit on the street. Yes sag can be achieved with springs but it's really all about the $ you want to spend. I guess I'm the one doing it wrong.... doing my best, financially wise, to have a balanced bike in terms of suspension front and rear. Spring changes work great for sag but the shiny gold pieces help so much better with feel and absorption which will drop your times and help you in the twisties or help you when you make mistakes at either.

Fast guys are fast. You can put them on a stock bike and they'll be fast, even if the springs are wrong.

He mentioned that he rides in intermediate so from the sound of it he's been there before so he's already worked on riding skill and continues to do so. The gold bits will only help with that and yes they aren't necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement