Tune then flash or Flash then tune? - Page 2 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #21
Italgeorge
2009 R1

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1 Raven
Keep up the convo. It's saving me a BUNCH of research time lol

Yoshi R77 CF Dual cans w/y-pipe
PowerCommander V
AutoTune
Graves Block Offs
Watsen Flushmounts
luck
Italgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #22
marshdrummer
Lucky 13 X/O

Bikes: 2011 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
You are wrong. An autotune read all the way to the engine's limit.
Yup - I stand corrected...my apologies. I just talked to Dynojet...it works all the way through the rev range. So, it is another option to just a custom tune...

LRRS AM
RSP Racing #920
Sponsors: Pirelli, Tony's trackdays, Motorcycle Tires and Gear, Dyno Solutions, Sportbike Track Gear, Knox, Woodcraft, 434racer.com
marshdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #23
AKDMA
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 Raven R1
Indeed. With the Bazzaz you can set a target AFR for each RPM vs throttle position counterpoint, so it's very precise. Haven't seen the PCV one.
AKDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #24
marshdrummer
Lucky 13 X/O

Are you going to race it or just street/track it? If you already have it, I would just stick with it....Flash, then throw that stuff on and be done....If your going to race it, then I would absolutely tune it....you need ever hp you can get!

So here's my next question (to help the op of course ) Do you just import a map to the PC that has your mods and let the autotune do it's thing, or do you get a tune, THEN put on the autotune for the fine adjustments?

LRRS AM
RSP Racing #920
Sponsors: Pirelli, Tony's trackdays, Motorcycle Tires and Gear, Dyno Solutions, Sportbike Track Gear, Knox, Woodcraft, 434racer.com

Last edited by marshdrummer; 12-06-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #25
AKDMA
I eat my R1

If the base map is close, it would take fewer auto tuning sessions to get it right, but it's the same end result.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #26
Italgeorge
2009 R1

Well since I street/track I'm gonna get it flashed, get it tuned, and keep everything else(PCV & Autotue) on it. I don't need to squeeze every last HP I can get out of it. Lol I just want a good running bike. From my understanding the flash alone is amazing so can't wait to see/feel for myself.

PowerCommander V
AutoTune
Graves Block Offs
Watsen Flushmounts
luck
Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #27
marshdrummer
Lucky 13 X/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italgeorge View Post
From my understanding the flash alone is amazing so can't wait to see/feel for myself.
I hear that...I picked up my R1 in Sept...I just put her away...So I'm going from slip ons only to midpipe/filter/flash/tune/brakes...for the next time I ride her which will prolly be on the track in April....I'm expecting a HUGE difference! I'm pretty excited lol...

LRRS AM
RSP Racing #920
Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #28
Italgeorge
2009 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshdrummer View Post
I hear that...I picked up my R1 in Sept...I just put her away...So I'm going from slip ons only to midpipe/filter/flash/tune/brakes...for the next time I ride her which will prolly be on the track in April....I'm expecting a HUGE difference! I'm pretty excited lol...
Yea I'm sure your gonna have a big diff! Luckily I live in west Texas so it's riding season all year long lol. Today it's supposed to hit 80 and its Dec!! Lol

PowerCommander V
AutoTune
Graves Block Offs
Watsen Flushmounts
luck
Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #29
marshdrummer
Lucky 13 X/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italgeorge View Post
Yea I'm sure your gonna have a big diff! Luckily I live in west Texas so it's riding season all year long lol. Today it's supposed to hit 80 and its Dec!! Lol
uuummmmm.....jealous! I wish I was that lucky! I think the worst part is - the early storm we had and they dropped all the salt already...otherwise, I would still be riding!

LRRS AM
RSP Racing #920
Old 12-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #30
Italgeorge
2009 R1

Yea our dea of cold is a cold front that hits once a year and it drops to 40 for a week! Burr lol I'm from Kansas where there's a foot of snow by this time o year so really enjoying 80s lol

PowerCommander V
AutoTune
Graves Block Offs
Watsen Flushmounts
luck
Old 12-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #31
drjak
Take the red pill

Bikes: '09 R1
Quote:
You are wrong. An autotune read all the way to the engine's limit.

And think about this....

do you ride in one area all year round? (think about that, elevation, humidity, etc) If so then a dyno tune will probably be great for you. I happen to take trips out of state and ride up mountains, etc so an autotune module is what you want if you travel on the bike or even if you just trailer the bike to another state to ride a particular track.

The best is to have both. Have a custom tune made for your area then have an autotune module for when you aren't in your own neck of the woods. DJ has a switch they sell that hooks up to the modules so you can turn the autotune on/off.
If picking one of the two, autotune hands down.

And as AKDMA said about Dan, the autotune is pretty hard to beat. There have been some folks on this forum that have taken their bike in for a dyno session with an autotune attached and the dyno operator cannot improve the map, at all. And I trust what Dan Kyle says about tuning above anyone there is. He's spent thousands of hours dynoing and making AFR changes for every sportbike there is.
drjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #32
AHB537
R1 it's Legendary...like MOTO

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 50th Anniversary GP no.1350 2003 YZF-R1-track bike(sold) 2004KX250(sold) 2004 GSXR600(sold) 2000CR500(sadly sold) 2002 CBRF4i-track bike(sold) 1996 CBRF3(sold)
Quote:
You don't need it...what are you doing with it. I ride at many tracks in many different conditions so I like the autotune to use it the 1st couple sessions of the weekend. If you are a street rider, I'd save your money.
Wish I asked this question earlier. I ordered all of the above. Flash-Tune interface, PC-V and AutoTune. I just ride street but wanted great performance.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #33
Italgeorge
2009 R1

Where is this Dan Kyle located?

PowerCommander V
AutoTune
Graves Block Offs
Watsen Flushmounts
luck
Old 12-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #34
AKDMA
I eat my R1

Sand City, CA.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #35
Tad158
Astronomer not Astrologer

Bikes: 09 R1, 78 CB750K8
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshdrummer View Post
Auto tune, from what was explained to me, reads the gas/o2 level in exhaust through the o2 sensor. At the 6k point, the o2 sensor no longer becomes useful and the ECU reads from the map that is on it. I may be wrong, but that is the way it was explained to me.

What you are referring to here is how the ECU uses an OEM O2 sensor to determine the fueling at low TPS and RPM. You can change this switch over point with the F-T interface, so that the ECU jumps into TPS vs RPM mapped fueling. Those of us using the OEM O2 sensor with a decreased load bias (say 50% in the F-T settings) still enjoy good fuel mileage for the street (something that may not be a concern with a track bike).

Another piece of info. The 09+ R1's have an atmospheric pressure sensor which compensates for altitude. A user took a map that was made at sea level and ran it in his F-T'ed bike with an AT unit, and the AFR's were right on the money. So the bike does a good job of compensating for altitude changes......
2009 Raven R1
Mods: Custom Fender Eliminator, Custom Rear Reservoir Bracket, Custom Clutch Sliders, Spiegler Rennsport SS Front/Rear Brake Lines, Driven Clip-ons, Spider Peak Grips, Zero Gravity Light Smoke Double Bubble Windscreen, M4 Y-Pipe, Vance and Hines CS One cans, Shogun No-Cut Sliders, F-T custom image with Bazzaz QS sensor, Ferodo ST HH Front Pads, RaceDAC Data Logger, RaceTech Springs, F1Composites track bodywork.
Build Thread

Flash-Tune FAQ Thread
Tad158 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #36
Italgeorge
2009 R1

Ummmm that last post just blew my mind.....lol guess you can say I'm not really a good at this tech stuff. I just know how to ride and enjoy myself lol

PowerCommander V
AutoTune
Graves Block Offs
Watsen Flushmounts
luck
Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #37
Tad158
Astronomer not Astrologer

Bikes: 09 R1, 78 CB750K8
Did you read the F-T FAQ? If not the link is in my signature.
2009 Raven R1
Mods: Custom Fender Eliminator, Custom Rear Reservoir Bracket, Custom Clutch Sliders, Spiegler Rennsport SS Front/Rear Brake Lines, Driven Clip-ons, Spider Peak Grips, Zero Gravity Light Smoke Double Bubble Windscreen, M4 Y-Pipe, Vance and Hines CS One cans, Shogun No-Cut Sliders, F-T custom image with Bazzaz QS sensor, Ferodo ST HH Front Pads, RaceDAC Data Logger, RaceTech Springs, F1Composites track bodywork.
Build Thread

Flash-Tune FAQ Thread
Tad158 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement