New member, i wanna talk R1! : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
Jtscarboro
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: Current bike: kawasaki zx6r. I want a 2009 or newer R1
New member, i wanna talk R1!

Hello all!
This is my first post, and i believe i am in the correct place for posting.
I have been considering buying an R1 and i have some questions about what to expect, but mainly i am just VERY EXCITED and want some people to discuss the bike with.

I have wanted an R1 since i was 16. I have ridden dirtbikes since i was 12 and mostly rode trails. I started off on a ttr-125 and eventually moved to a yfz 250. In 2007 i got my first (and current) street bike which is a 2007 kawasaki zx6r, but i have always wanted an R1. I have not ever been to the track, and although i think it would be fun, my motorcycle is my only means of transportation and i dont want to put any unnessisary risk on my motorcycle.

I recently went by my local dealership and they had the most beautiful 2011 red yamaha r1 sitting there. Just 1,100 miles on it and they were asking $12k for it. Is this a good price? Also since i have never ridden a 1000cc bike, i was wondering if i should find a 2012 model so that i can have traction control. I really dont know if i need it, and other people (not on this forum) are making me feel underskilled for considering it. I keep getting replys like, "if you cant handel the power dont get the bike." i understand that may be true but i do not know how literbikes power feels.

I want an R1 because i think it would be the most amazing experience. I think it would turn heads everywhere. I love how the crossplane engine sounds and i basically drool over any pictures i see of it. I spent over two hours in the shop the other day just looking at it and sitting on it. I have had dreams of owning one. Its actually quite pathetic.

Often times i ride interstate and 2up with my girlfriend on my 600 and i cant help but feel like i would rather be on an r1.

Really i just want to talk to other about this dream of a machine. Should i go for a model with TCS? I am willing to Wait a little longer to save up for this bike because i intend on getting exactly what i want. What is it like moving from a 600 to a 1000?
Jtscarboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Honestly 12k is kinda steep. I'd shop around. As far as the traction control, you may eventually want it some day, so of you can save a little more and get a bike that has it, I think you'd be happier.

Please search the forum to answer all your questions, and welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Jtscarboro
My R1 eats me.

Kinda steep? 12k seemed reasonable to me but i guess that is because i am in awe of the bike. Okay i will keep looking then. It would be nice to have tcs for the rain.

I also know that even without tcs the newer r1s have diffrent fuel mappings? Are they effective enough to make me more confident riding in cold and rain?

Also on an unrelated note i am only about an hour from US 129 aka The Dragon. I think that will be my first destination whenever i get this bike.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

The tcs will help with confidence, but I think the best thing is throttle control. You don't want a false sense of security, so seat time is important

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 12-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Jtscarboro
My R1 eats me.

Right. Ill keep that in mind.
If you have the time to answer id like to ask some
more questions from you.
Was the r1 your first literbike? What did you start riding on?
What made you want an R1? If you moved up from a smaller bike to a 1000, what were your first thoughts, what did you notice right off the bat that was different? Was it more power than you expected? In general how much sooner (if any) did you have to get on the brakes?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

My first bike was and is my r1. I liked them when I was in highschool, but wasn't allowed to have one. My friend picked up a 04 F4i and let me ride it once, after that I was hooked

It's definitely powerful!

As for brakes, at the track I try and hold off on braking, as long as my balls will allow. Than its squeeze tight and say a prayer

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
Jtscarboro
My R1 eats me.

If i find and decide to buy a 2009-2011 model, but at a later date wish i did have tcs, is there an aftermarket i can have put on? I have not ever heard of this before so i dont think there is, or if there is it seems like it would be pretty expensive and be more intrusive, but my g/f was also wanting to know the answer to this question.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
Italgeorge
2009 R1

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1 Raven
Hey welcome to the forum! Just my input....my first bike was a CBR F3 600. Had it for about 3 mo before I got my first R1. I got the R1 bc I felt like I just didn't have the power to keep up with some of the guys I was riding with. So I hopped on what was brand new back then a 2004 R1. Talk about a huge difference in power! Rode that bike till about 8 mo ago and hopped on the 2009 R1. The power delivery is a lot different on these cross plains but once you get some seat time in and get used to the feel of the bike it's truly amazing. The sound is something all of its own. You can watch youtube all day but until you get on one yourself and hear this thing for yourself your just wasting time. Lol everywhere I go people know when it's me not by the look of the bike but how it sounds when I'm coming close. Asmformthe traction control.....can't really help you there but if your really wanting it or whatever then by all means save up a little extra and get a 2012 model. If you really want it then get it. You don't want to be 3 mo into ownership of a different year and wishing you would have gotten the TcS model. There's a great bunch of riders here on the forum and everyone of them is willing to help with anything you need.....just ask. I know I had to ask my fair share of noob questions lol. Well that's my 2 cents. Good luck with your choice! See ya on a R1 soon lol

Yoshi R77 CF Dual cans w/y-pipe
PowerCommander V
AutoTune
Graves Block Offs
Watsen Flushmounts
luck
Italgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
xLatinox
My R1 eats me.

I havnt ridden a zx6r but i have ridden a gsxr600 and i do know you will instantly feel alot more power sooner on the R1. Personally it was ridiculous how different it was. you will love it
xLatinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
desire68
My R1 thinks she's a Twin

Bikes: 01R1 Champion Limited Edition #187(SOLD) 2012 R1 WGP 50th Anniversary No#0095
Hey Jtscarboro,
Welcome to the mad house brother lol. I started riding late as my parents were against it. Ive only been riding for 9yrs now but i totally love it and it was what i was born to do, I started on an R6 in the UK. Rode that for 3yrs and then moved to Canada where i bought a ZX-636. Loved that bike but my hart was always for the yamaha so after not even a year of riding the Kawi i bought my dream bike, a 2001 R1 champion edition. It was awesome and way more power than the R6 and the 636 while still usable on the street. The difference was massive but if it's something that you really want, you take the time to get to know it.
That was in 2009, then later this year i sold my pride and joy and bought my current baby, the 2012 R1 WGP 50th Anniversary. I simply am in love with this bike. My wife calls her my mistress lol. The power was something to get used to all over again as the X-Plane is VERY different from the in lines but when they are dialed in, they are as smooth as butter and sound super sexy. Like someone has already mentioned, people know its me when i'm pulling in the sound of that X-Plane with a set of cans is just too sexy lol. If you can wait, then get the 12 with the TCS, it's simply an addition that works really well and worth it if you can wait. If not then any X-plane will be awesome, in fact ALL R1's are awesome FACT! I wouldn't ride anything else but thats just me. The R1 was a dream of mine too but at the time when i started to ride, i realized that i needed to take things easy and lead up to a litre bike.
I mentioned earlier that the 12's are smooth when dialed in. My reason for this is because when they come from the factory, they are quite restricted. The recommendation here is to get the ECU flashed mainly to get rid of the restrictions like heavy engin braking and an overly sensitive throttle. I held out for as long as i could as i didnt want to mess with my brand new bike but eventually i caved and got the ECU flashed and the difference is like night and day. I have so much more control now and i enjoy the bike even more.
You have a great deal of research to do before you pull the trigger but thats a good thing because it will give you more time to save up for that 12, it's WELL WORTH IT!
Mike

Petrol Spice, You Da MAN!!!

WGP 50th Anniversary #95 Akrapovic carbon cans,Akrapovic Ti Y pipe,Watsen flush mounts,ASV leavers,Driven preload adjusters,Rizoma track-77 signals, Puig fender eliminator,Puig DB screen,Driven spools,Harris clear tank pad,Graves clutch kit, Driven 520 kit,Gilles Ti axle nut,Gilles TCA-GP chain adjusters,Driven sprocket nuts, Sato rearsets,GYTR no cut frame sliders,Goodridge SS lines,ECUnleashed tune

Last edited by desire68; 12-06-2012 at 10:31 PM.
desire68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
TheBFA

If you can ride the 600 fine you can ride the R1 fine. There is heaps more power, but you don't need traction control for the sake of the power difference from the ZX-6. You won't get on the R1 and burn out on your first attempt. You will slowly let out the clutch and ease onto the throttle to the friction point and then roll into the throttle the desired amount you want, just like ANY motorcycle. People here in Australia are even worse with the fear of getting on a liter bike. If you can operate a motorcycle safely, you can operate ANY motorcycle safely.
TheBFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #12
stuntedr6
I am my batterie's tender....

Bikes: 2010 R1 FIAT ROSSI Edition, 2005 Yamaha R1, 2002 Yamaha R6, 2005 Yamaha YFZ450
I bought my first bike in 2003. I had never ridden any type of bike prior. It was a 2002 Yamaha R6. I rode the wheels off that thing. Literally! One day i decide that bike had enough of my abuse. So I decided I wanted to move up to the R1 as I always loved their look. So in 2005 I got an 05 Yamaha R1. I loved that thing. Power was significant compared to the R6, but it was manageable with some seat time and a gain in confidence. After a few years on that bad boy I finally jumped on the crossplane and I got my 2010 Yamaha R1 ROSSI FIAT Edition. Oh man is there a huge difference between the two. It's a little twitchy out the box in "A" mode but once you eliminate all the restrictions and some map settings, it's a smooth as butter like Jorge Lorenzo would say. My year doesn't come with TC so I installed the Bazzaz TC system. So far I haven't felt it kick in but I guess it's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. Try ridding it in STD or B mode until you get use to it. I recently rode my buddies 2012 Yamaha R6 and I couldn't help but laugh the entire time as I twisted the throttle and wondered where the power was. Almost felt as if I was going backwards! Lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Carbon Titanium Apex Exhaust, MJS Y Pipe, Driven Smog Block Offs, K&N Air Filter, Euro Air Box Mod, Bazzaz ZFI, BAZZAZ Quickshift, Bazzaz AFM, Bazzaz Traction Control, CRG Shorty Levers, Vortex Rearsets, Intuitive Frame Sliders and Spools, Smoked Double bubble Windscreen, Mirror Block Offs + more to come
stuntedr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #13
Trevmo
Ride it like you stole it!

Bikes: 2004 YZF-R1
Take your time and make the right decision that is going to make you happy for quite some time. Also, I don't think I would hit up The Dragon on the first trip with the new R1. Take some time to feel the bike out and learn how it rides and how much power it has compared to your 600. You don't want to end up like those idiots that wreck their bikes trying to ride The Dragon a week after they get a big boy bike. Good luck with your decision!
Trevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #14
FOGOAR1
Friggin Old Guy On An R1

Bikes: 04 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtscarboro View Post
If i find and decide to buy a 2009-2011 model, but at a later date wish i did have tcs, is there an aftermarket i can have put on? I have not ever heard of this before so i dont think there is, or if there is it seems like it would be pretty expensive and be more intrusive, but my g/f was also wanting to know the answer to this question.
Bazzaz is used by a number of the 09 - 11 R1 guys.

http://bazzaz.net/index.php?option=c...d=4&Itemid=181
FOGOAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
Kangaroo
para bellum

Buy an older model r1. With the saved money go to a couple track days and scare yourself silly. Buy an old truck as well.

Sig courtesy of SpidermanSS 9-15-09

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
I have the Bazzaz TC and love it...more adjustable than the '12 stock stuff.

12K for a stock used '11 is high
You should be able to get a new one for about that money. PM me if you want me to look around, I'd bet you can get a new '11 now for less money

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
marshdrummer
Lucky 13 X/O

Bikes: 2011 R1
Just for reference, I picked up a brand new '11 for $11,100 with GYTR slip ons 3ish months ago...

LRRS AM
RSP Racing #920
Sponsors: Pirelli, Tony's trackdays, Motorcycle Tires and Gear, Dyno Solutions, Sportbike Track Gear, Knox, Woodcraft, 434racer.com
marshdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #18
rush89
My R1 eats me

Bikes: 2010 R1 2012 Honda CBR 1000RR 2008 R6
I know you've heard the opinions of others but I wanted to share my experience with the R1. I started riding motorcycles 20 years ago (dirtbikes) and bought my first streetbike in 2008 - a brand new r6. Since then I've owned two CBRs, one Gixxer 750, and a 2010 R1. The R1 is like no other literbike I've ever ridden. It's extremely powerful but is so smooth that it is controllable if you have experience riding a sportbike. I would recommend you get one, but if you do, make sure you take it easy for the first few months. The R1 can be as tame or as mean as you want it to be. As far as going from a 600 to a 1000cc, get ready for a lot more power (I mean a lot!) and the ability to pass cars (and Harleys) much more easily. I never ridden a bike with traction control so I can't comment on that but I can tell you that I currently own three sportbikes and the R1 is simply the most "exciting" to ride. Good luck with your new bike!
rush89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
Tek Daddy
That Venom Swag Guy

Bikes: 2005 R1
Like many on here has said, yes r1's have a lot of power as do all liter bikes but the most important lesson you should ever learn and respect is you don't have to use all of the power it offers, just because something goes 200 mph doesn't mean you have to. Throttle control is your friend learn to trust and respect it haha that being said r1's has always been my all time favorite bike I've owned ninjas, cbrs, suks, but the r1 will always have a home in my garage. Go get it, ride it, love it, and clean it daily an yeah 12k is a little up there

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #20
lobsterhound

Bikes: 03 600rr, 02 r1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
My first bike was and is my r1. I liked them when I was in highschool, but wasn't allowed to have one. My friend picked up a 04 F4i and let me ride it once, after that I was hooked

It's definitely powerful!

As for brakes, at the track I try and hold off on braking, as long as my balls will allow. Than its squeeze tight and say a prayer
we dont want little Chrissy Boo Boo to get hurt

Sig pic courtesy of Uncle Petrol "Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." -G. Washington
lobsterhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement