Dealerships can be funny! - Page 2 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #21
Raven7
In search of performance

Bikes: 99 R1/08 CBR 1RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadlaw View Post
Just my $.02. Think long and hard before you do this. Last December I traded my 07 GSXR 750 for a Yamaha Stryker because I thought I was ready for something different and wanted a cruiser.

Short story shorter, I hated every minute of it. 8 months later, I traded it in for a 2011 R1.

I havent stopped smiling since.
lol, I started out on sportbikes and have had many. As I got older I decided it was time to slow down and got a cruiser.
Like you hated it! Dragging hard parts and felt like I was a parachute riding it
My lower back hurt in twenty minutes.
So that was a short lived experience,lol.
Raven7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #22
cyclepsycho7
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

Bikes: 06 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhaker View Post
relatively new design....lol 2001...i guess compared to the 1950's technology and the 2020 price it is fairly new. if i was gonna get any comparative to a hardley...it would be a american ironhorse or something like that. .....i do agree 6500 is low.

LOL, key word "relatively" new design. Seems like yesterday when I was reading about how they tested the design of that motor, time flys when you hit my age. I really don't like the look of the V-Rod motor though, I like the classic 1950 design. If I were to get a V-twin bike I'd build my own starting with a large cubic inch motor, maybe an S&S or similar and go from there.

Last edited by cyclepsycho7; 12-07-2012 at 09:25 AM.
cyclepsycho7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #23
Reaper81
My R1 eats me.

i got 14,300 miles on my sportster and i've had it since August 2011 it's been through rain several times freezing weather more than i can remember and i beat the brakes off it everyday and it has only had two issues. an exhaust leak covered under warranty and an electrical short covered under warranty. i had a honda before this bike and it was crap compared to my harley and performance wise line up all those metrics and we'll see who is still standing at the end of the quarter mile. i haven't seen a metric yet that has been able to take my stock sportster. my .02 cents
Reaper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #24
drjak
Take the red pill

Bikes: '09 R1
drjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #25
Reaper81
My R1 eats me.

[QUOTE=drjak;5416567][/QUOT
Reaper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #26
greenc51
I eat my Night Rod

Bikes: 05 Ninja 500 SOLD - 04 CBRF4i SOLD - 07 R6 SOLD - 04 Vulcan 800 bobber SOLD - 06 R1 SOLD - 2009 Night Rod Special =)
i sold my 07 r6 and bought a vulcan 800 which i bobbed out....i did that because i wanted a couple extra grand in my pocket while still being able to ride something cool. aww man i loved that easy riding on that vulcan. it was like riding a couch that was turned into a bike.
but like many others, i missed the speed. now i'm to the point where i want to get rid of the r1 and get a vstar 1100 and bobb that out and call it a day on buying/selling bikes.

here's that vulcan i turned bobber...i miss it

here's a pic of a vstar that is the type of look i want to go for
greenc51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #27
Faust245
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2012 50th GP R1, 2008 Triumph Speed Triple
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenc51 View Post
here's a pic of a vstar that is the type of look i want to go for
Is that a Wicked Customs bike? Looks nice.
Faust245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #28
greenc51
I eat my Night Rod

Bikes: 05 Ninja 500 SOLD - 04 CBRF4i SOLD - 07 R6 SOLD - 04 Vulcan 800 bobber SOLD - 06 R1 SOLD - 2009 Night Rod Special =)
nope, just a vstar 1100 someone converted
greenc51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #29
Jonrone
Decisions

Bikes: S1000RR
Why not just sell the R1. I know its a little bit more hassle but at $8,000 it will sell in a hurry.

Did you leave your phone number with the dealer? My experience with Harley dealer's is they will call you in about 2-3 weeks and say they still have that bike for you or another one that similar.... Although they will still plan on a$$ raping you.

I had the check written out to buy a Harley at the dealer and they tried to pull some $200 BS fee stuff on a $15,000. I tore up the check and walked out. The look on salesman's face was priceless. Never bought the bike and they kept calling me about it....

Good luck and get the bike you want not what everyone else thinks is for the win.
Jonrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #30
modidy

Bikes: 2010 R1, 06 R6, 01 SV650s (trackbike)
I can see that a lot of folks here aren't really fans of the Harley. Funny things about me, I'm not about what makes everyone else happy. I have owned over 30 different sport bike's over the past 10 years. From the FZR 400 trackbike, 3 CBR 900rr's, 3 Hayabusa's, 3 R1's (01, 04 and 10) along with a host of other 250, 600, 650, 750 and 1000 cc bike's. I still plan to keep sportbike, by selling my SV650 trackbike, and picking up a R6 to use for street and track. I decided I want a cruiser a few months back, when I spent a few days rolling around on a 09 Fat Boy. It was nice taking the wife riding with me, and her being comfortable.... she's not a little girl... even my daughter isn't crazy about riding on the back of the R1, though she loved the Busa.
I like the style and look, as well as the feel of the Street Glide. I have been a speed freak all of my life, but was perfectly comfortable on that 96" Fat Boy, just cruising. I rode my R1 this past Tuesday, and love it... but the Street Glide was more so on my mind. I'm selling the 250r, and the SV650 to pick up, hopefully, a 06 R6. Which will get some suspension work, and spare set of bodywork that is full race wear . That will be my run with through the twisties bike .

But thank you all for your feedback. Even though most are against it, I will be either selling, or trading in the R1 soon to get myself a Street glide

Last edited by modidy; 12-07-2012 at 08:44 PM.
modidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #31
drjak
Take the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by modidy View Post
have owned over 300 different sport bike's over the past 10 years.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #32
modidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjak View Post
That was a typo..... should have been 30... I corrected it. Have owned about 35. The most at one time was about 4.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #33
playero_loko
ARMY's Finest!

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha R1, 2011 Yamaha R1, traded in 2009 Aprilia RSV 1000R, sold 2006 CBR 600RR
just sell the bike on your own bro, no need to get disappointed/upset at dealers! you give another guy a good deal on the bike and this way, he feels like he made out a sweet deal and you get the amount of money you wanted outta the bike! win-win!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #34
Dai.
"What"

Bikes: 2005 Lava Red R1 12" Hayabusa 2005 Raven R1 *SOLD*
How did the R1 and Busa compare?
Dai. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #35
modidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai. View Post
How did the R1 and Busa compare?
They don't really. They are so different, it's too hard to compare. I really like the Hayabusa a lot. I always enjoyed cruising around on it, and it was even fun in the twisty's. Yet, it's heavy and sluggish compared to the R1. The Busa is a sport tourer, which it does well at. The R1 is a road racer, more aggressive, and agile. Both are very fun to ride, but the motor in the R1 does it for me
Old 12-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #36
korie

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere'
first off have you considered getting a Victory instead? i have heard that they are more reliable than a harley.

also to consider is the Triumph Thunderbird. tops rated cruiser in many magazines and all. i would go for the Storm version, personally.

but i am a little against harley's admittedly. the people are mostly arrogant dicks and walking into their showroom the people that work there are equally arrogant. but these were just my experiences. maybe you have had better than i.
korie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #37
modidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by korie View Post
first off have you considered getting a Victory instead? i have heard that they are more reliable than a harley.

also to consider is the Triumph Thunderbird. tops rated cruiser in many magazines and all. i would go for the Storm version, personally.

but i am a little against harley's admittedly. the people are mostly arrogant dicks and walking into their showroom the people that work there are equally arrogant. but these were just my experiences. maybe you have had better than i.
I truly had a decent experience from my sales associate, who was polite, friendly and very personable. That is why I did spend a few hours there seriously considering purchasing at that time. Unfortunately, we were unable to make a deal at that worked for me. I didn't like the way the manager came off, but when you have a product that sells so well, you can be somewhat arrogant about it....
I personally don't care for the style, or look of the triumph, or the Victory, enough to buy one. Not knocking them, just not what I'm looking for, at this time. To be honest, once I get board, I will sell it and buy something else. Who knows what it will be at that time. The Street Glide has both the look and feel that I am wanting right now. To me, it has nothing to do with the typical owners.... I know a few Harley owners personally that are great guys/gals. I have run across a great many more than are nice, friendly and non judgmental about sportbikes also. But once again, for me, it's not about that. I don't ride for comradeship, I do so because I love to ride, and I like many different styles of bike's. Once I find a decent deal on a decent condition CB550, I will be building a cafe racer too. I'm one of those rare breed that seems to have an appreciation for a wider range of two wheel toys.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #38
drjak
Take the red pill

Diavel and to hell with Hardlys

Old 02-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #39
modidy

Haven't done the Harley yet, been a bit too busy at work. However, did pickup an 06 R6 on a great deal. Putting a new set of tires on the R1 and the R6. Just got them in the mail from Chapparrel.... The R1 will be going up for sale, probably here as well as consignment at the local Yamaha dealership. Won't to sell it within the next month. Wanting to buy the Harley as a birthday gift to myself.... Decided against the Street Glide, going with the Road Glide instead. Will also be selling my 01 SV650 trackbike mid season to mod the Harley. Next season, the R6 will be doing double duty on th street and track.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #40
Low Standards
I eat my R1

Bikes: 13' R1
I contemplate getting a Harley myself but I can't see paying the price most places want for them

R1-013 ...
if your not in then you need to be
Low Standards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement