Noob with a chain and sprocket : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
NicholasRomano
I eat my R1

Bikes: 04 R1
Noob with a chain and sprocket

A small background, I know little to nothing about motorcycles. The R1 was my first, and it's been an absolutely wonderful learning experience. I've found this forum to be incredibly helpful, and for that I thank every one of you. But now, if you don't mind, I have a couple questions I am hoping you guys may be able to help me on.

So today I finally got my chain kit(Thanks Motomummy!), I was in dire need of a chain, mine was rusty as can be, and starting to lock up a little. I was able to get the back tire off with ease, install some Gilles chain adjusters(once again thanks to the wonderful members here), once again with ease... But now for the problem... I have no idea how to get to the front sprocket? Do I remove the shifter rod(if that is even the appropriate name)? I was having a hell of a time attempting to, to the point I was afraid something would break, so I stopped.

And as for my second question, does anyone know where I can get my new chain broken down to the correct size? I am in Northern NJ, and don't mind a bit of a ride. I foolishly didn't purchase a chain breaker, and don't really have access to any power tools to attempt to do it any other way. Also, it came with a master link, but I've been hearing more about riveting the link back on, is this more effective? Is it something I should worry about as a casual rider?

Any info or tips you guys have would be wonderful. Once again I absolutely love this forum. Here's a few picks of her taken apart, with some of her goodies. Don't judge me to much, before this I couldn't even take apart a bicycle. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1354681775.849073.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	478084Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1354681785.631392.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	478085Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1354681800.832070.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	478086

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
NicholasRomano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Flexxx
*Insert Witty Phrase Here*

Bikes: A couple 09 R1's, 07 zx6r(sold), 05 R6(sold), 03 R1(sold)
That triangular black plastic piece to the left of the lower part of the frame is your chain guard. It comes off, and the front sprocket can be accessed.

Now to get the front sprocket off, I would recommend leaving the back wheel mounted and locking the brakes while you torque down on that front sprocket to get it off. BUT, since you've already got it off(based off of the pictures), use an impact wrench.

Good luck!

NC STATE LEAD
R1-016 VENOM SQUADRON JOIN HERE

My 09 R1 Build

My Crossplane-Powered 37 Legends Car Build

Flexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:52 AM   #3
Ramrod-R1
I eat my R1

Bikes: 10 r1 street, r6 track
What I would do is put the tire back on, assuming your old chain is still in place, connect the chain to the back sprocket, keeping the bike on the stand wrap a pipe or a long wrench with a rag and place through your swing arm going through the spoke of your rim to the other side of the swing arm ( this will keep the sprocket from rotating ). Keeping the bike in neutral, take the sprocket cover off and use a breaker bar to take the front sprocket off.
I'm sure there are other ways, just my o2.
Cycle gear makes a cheap chain kit you can use a couple times.
Ramrod-R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
NicholasRomano
I eat my R1

I think I see what you are talking about Flexxx, but that rod is in the way of accessing the bolt and this preventing the removal. Proving to be a pain in the ass.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
iGoldeneye
WERA? \_(ツ)_/ #21

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha R1 Raven - '04 GSXR600 (track) - 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary (sold)
Gotta get that shift rod out of the way in order to access the sprocket properly

Shouldn't be too hard to remove- Remove the bolt at the top of the knuckle completely and it should slide off... You'll have bigger fish to fry getting that front sprocket off

Thanks Uncle P!

WERA #21

View my MOD ADDICTED 2012 R1 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post

Being a biker is not a welfare sport.
iGoldeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
NicholasRomano
I eat my R1

That damn knuckle snapped my key trying to take it off. I suppose I'll have to try again later. Even if I don't replace the sprocket, the chain is in dire need of it.

Now to find a place that can break the chain for me.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
iGoldeneye
WERA? \_(ツ)_/ #21

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha R1 Raven - '04 GSXR600 (track) - 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasRomano View Post
That damn knuckle snapped my key trying to take it off. I suppose I'll have to try again later. Even if I don't replace the sprocket, the chain is in dire need of it.

Now to find a place that can break the chain for me.

You want to change the sprockets and the chain at the same time... New chain + old sprockets will wear down the chain extremely fast to match the already worn sprockets... Do them all or you will waste your money

Thanks Uncle P!

WERA #21

View my MOD ADDICTED 2012 R1 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post

Being a biker is not a welfare sport.
iGoldeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Racer Dude
I eat my R1

Bikes: 00 R1

Old 12-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
NicholasRomano
I eat my R1

So I was able to get my old chain off, using bolt cutters.... After it broke 2 pins on a chain breaker, damn that chain was shitty! Got the case off for the front sprocket, now I just need to find a 36mm socket, finding a 32mm for the rear was hard enough!

So as for my next question(I hope you guys aren't slowly growing a hatred for me)... Since I don't have access to a impact drill, should I install the old chain, so I can lock up the back tire? Or will that damage the chain? It wouldn't be ridden with it obviously, just used to stabilize it in place so I can pry that old sucker off.

Also I spent around an hour wiping out old grime, that I am assuming was chain lube, should I lube up the new sprocket? Or am I safe.

Sorry for the 20 questions, but as I stated earlier I am so new to this. And I trust the opinions of members over a random google search.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
Trevmo
Ride it like you stole it!

Bikes: 2004 YZF-R1
Good luck finding the 36mm socket. I am not sure what to tell you about that one. Go to Autozone or Advance auto and try the "loan a tool" program. I am sure they will have the size you need. As for the grime, it's good to get all of that crap out of there. It's just old chain lube and probably tons of small rocks and sand mixed in. Don't lube the new sprocket, lube the chain lightly. Just enough to keep the small O-rings or X-rings from drying out. Hope this helps.
Trevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
Dollar
I eat my R1

Bikes: 02 R1 stoled 08 r1 now
If you have a sears or harbor freight you can go there for the socket needed sould be just a couple of bucks
Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
NicholasRomano
I eat my R1

The chain I bought is drenched in lube(can't help but laugh) so I should be ok. And I do have a sears and autozone, so ill have to give one of those guys a ring. Thanks so much guys. Ill probably keep periodically bumping this with my dumb questions.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
DragMyR1
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2010 ZX10 *SOLD* 2001 GSXR 1000 *SOLD* 2006 R1 RAVEN EDITION *SOLD* 2003 YAMAHA R1 *SOLD* CURRENT 2008 YAMAHA R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21803 View Post
What I would do is put the tire back on, assuming your old chain is still in place, connect the chain to the back sprocket, keeping the bike on the stand wrap a pipe or a long wrench with a rag and place through your swing arm going through the spoke of your rim to the other side of the swing arm ( this will keep the sprocket from rotating ). Keeping the bike in neutral, take the sprocket cover off and use a breaker bar to take the front sprocket off.
I'm sure there are other ways, just my o2.
Cycle gear makes a cheap chain kit you can use a couple times.
just add to the confusion why don't ya!
08' R1/PC3/M4 CF EXHAUST/McCoys Clutch Saver Mod/MP Revolver Quick Throttle/CF TANK COWL/ 14 OVER EVIL SWING ARM/ PRO-TECH REAR SETS/PRO-BOLTS BITS/ZERO GRAVITY LATIGO SEAT/FLASH-TUNE ECUINTERFACE/HOT BODIES FLUSH MOUNTS/SCOTTS ROTARY DAMPER/SOUPYSPERFORMANCE ADJ. LINK/BMC RACE FILTER/BALLISTIC 12 CELL EVO 2 BATTERY/VORTEX CLIPS ON'S FUEL CAP SPROCKS/DDM DUAL HID's/Tsubaki 530 Sigma O-Ring Chain

LIVE FAST
DragMyR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
NicholasRomano
I eat my R1

So is there any easy way to get the rear brake back on? Should I just bang that bad boy back on to the caliper? Or what? Tried for about 10 minutes yesterday and couldn't get it on easily so I have up(had to go to dinner) and not sure if there's something I should be doing.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
Silentblack
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bikes: 05 R1, 11 R1
Push the pads apart?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
Minacious
Death's Handshake

Bikes: They're just bikes, you've seen 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasRomano View Post
So is there any easy way to get the rear brake back on? Should I just bang that bad boy back on to the caliper? Or what? Tried for about 10 minutes yesterday and couldn't get it on easily so I have up(had to go to dinner) and not sure if there's something I should be doing.
Are you trying to get caliper, with the pads in, back onto the rotor? If so, please don't bang it on. That just makes babies cry.

Like Silent above said, the pads are probably squeezed together now, or pretty close to one another. Push the pads apart so that there is enough clearance to slide the caliper back onto the rotor. Once on, pump the rear brake until it is nice and tight. (Giggity)

As a matter of fact, I just PM'd the service manual to you. Read it like a manic. It will answer any questions you have.

Manic-Depressive and my head hurts.
Minacious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
NicholasRomano
I eat my R1

You guys rock. Thanks for putting up with my dumb antics. I tend to not do anything questionable until I consult someone. Last thing I want to do is do something silly.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
Benocehcap
Sonic Boom!

Bikes: 2001 Yamaha R1
I like this guy
He make me look good

The sockets are at your local autozone. I use them once to take out the 36mm top fork nut. They only ask for you to deposit $20 in case you dont return the socket. Then they give your 20 buck... i love free shizzet!