98 R1 running question : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Mechanical / Help This area to for help in the areas of, engine, carbs, transmission, suspension, mounting etc

Old 12-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
98R1ezz
Insane 98 R1

Bikes: 1998 R1 red/white.
98 R1 running question

Gday , had my 98 r1 for 2 months now , I have done 1700 kms on it with the oil in it it came with , this oil is very thin and black. I have used the bike daily since then and it used no oil but I done a 700 kilometre ride on the weekend and it used 500 ml of oil , should I be worried or is this normal with thin dirty oil??. My bike is extremely smooth , runs strong , when I open the throttle from near closed to fully open while riding it gives a very small puff of Brown vapour not liquid , only one puff as I first crack it on , my friends behind me get no liquid on them from it at all , is this normal? , my exhaust tip is also very black so I presume its running rich??. Any help or advice is greatly appreaciated as stress is setting in!. Thanks heaps.
98R1ezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Racer Dude
I eat my R1

Bikes: 00 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98R1ezz View Post

I have done 1700 kms on it with the oil it came with , this oil is very thin and black. I have used the bike daily since then

If you want a bit more longevity out of your motor, I would change it like yesterday.

If you're running the oil that came with the bike, I would assume that you do not know what type/weight of oil that you have inside the engine. Again, I would change it like yesterday. I would cease riding it till you get the oil and filter changed.

Quote:

I done a 700 kilometre ride on the weekend and it used 500 ml of oil , should I be worried

when I open the throttle from near closed to fully open while riding it gives a very small puff of Brown vapour not liquid , only one puff as I first crack it on...

I don't know.

Quote:

my exhaust tip is also very black so I presume its running rich??.

Is it black just inside the pipe, or is it black on the outside of the pipe? Either way, it's prolly a bit rich, but if you see black soot on the outside of the pipe, it's very rich.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Racer Dude
I eat my R1

Bikes: 00 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Dude View Post

If you're running the oil that came with the bike, I would assume that you do not know what type/weight of oil that you have inside the engine.

I would also assume you do not know how many miles are on the current oil fill.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
98R1ezz
Insane 98 R1

I was told by the owner that the oil was only 1000 kms old and its weight I don't know. I would of changed it straight away but it needed a new cct so I was waiting for that to come so I could do oil , plugs , filters cct etc all at once , I always change oil at 3000 kms so I do realise how stupid it was to leave that oil in. It's being changed now. The exhaust is fairly black inside and the tip is heavy black , it doesn't blow any smoke at all from dead cold or when running except for the mentioned puff of brown from closed to wide open throttle , its very smooth and strong all through the revs except under 2000 it gets grumpy and sometimes a little miss under 2000 , plugs are being changed. In saying this it is goes awesome , power wheelie in 1st 2nd and 3rd , pulls from 50 kmh in 6th smoothly , I cannot hold it flat in first , had it pop up at 180kmh on 3rd and it destroys my mates k5 gsxr 750 , I just hope my poor judgement in not changing the oil has brought no.harm.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #5
98R1ezz
Insane 98 R1

Well I put new plugs in , oil and filter changed , New air filter , airbox modified and gutted my high rise staintune pipe. The motor is now very quiet , I have done 900kms with no oil usage , no hesitation at all below 2000rpm now , still very smooth but even more mental up top , very very easy 1st 2nd 3rd wheelies , and now sounds like a fighter bomber. This bike is just mental but handles supreme!. Should of done all this when I first got it , thankfully all is good. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to gain 20 hp? , full exhaust and yoshi cams?? , or would 13.1 comp pistons and a yoshi trs slip on get it? , I already have a k&n airfilter , is there better ie pipercross , bmc , uni etc?. Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement