stock exhaust : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

How To's Please post your detailed How To's threads in here. They'll be of big help to owners of the R1.

Old 01-17-2004, 10:18 AM   #1
yamahathe1
Dirty White Boy

Bikes: blue '02 R1,
stock exhaust

i was wondering if any of you took your stock exhaust can, and gutted it, and if so, how? and what did it sound like??
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2004, 10:23 AM   #2
DogBoneR1
My dog Banshee kicking ASS!!

Bikes: 2002 Yamaha YZF R1 - The American Flag "ONE" That's not Busted anymore. Again! x3 WOO HOO!!
I did it awhile back. It sounded like ass, and was loud as hell! But what you have to do is drill out all the rivets of the end caps, then drill out the 3 rivets on the inside of the end cap. After that the baffel should pull right out.

www.seductivecycles.com

Mods: JE Pistons 2mm over bore/13.25:1 Compression (Bore & Replating done by Millenium Technologies Plymouth WI.), YEC High Compression Gasket, GMS Intake Cam, R7 Valves, GMS Valve Springs, Falicon Rods, Ported Head by Joe Conforti, R&D Transmission Under Cut, GMS Velocity Stacks, Power Commander III, Full Leo Vinci Carbonfiber High Mount Exhaust , Ohlins Steering Damper, GoodRidge Stainless Steel Brake lines, Wave Rotors, Carbonfiber Yoke Guard, ART Carbonfiber fenders Front/Rear. LP Turn signals, Nissen front brake master cylinder, Harris YZF Racing Grips, Harris YZF Tank Pad, Pirelli Diablo Tires (Pirelli Super Corsas for Track Duty), Removed Fender & Reflectors. YZF polished Heel Guards, Stealth rear sprocket and Sidewinder Front Sprocket with RK GB530GXW chain, BoxR, Hot Bodies Undertail, WoodCraft Case Covers, Gold Harris Rear Sets, Gold Tasty Nuts among other gold bits. OZ HLO1 Wheels in Gold. Bling, Bling!!
DogBoneR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 10:27 AM   #3
motoxjb
Hesitation is Masterbation.

Bikes: 2002 Silver R1
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showt...ight=poor+mans
Old 01-20-2004, 08:11 PM   #4
bradsr1
WHEELIE KING-girls luvmyweiner

Bikes: K5
NOT A GOOD IDEA!! A guy i ride with did that to his gixxer and it did not sound good at all , he noticed a lack of hp. best thing is just drop the money for an exhaust
F4i-traded
GSXR 750-sold
Red R1- dealer totaled
Blue R1-sold
Flamed '03
Black K5
bradsr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:36 PM   #5
2nutty
RIP scott white 11-9-02

Bikes: 03 R1 black with red flames
i shortened my exhaust can and it sounds good!! loud?? yes very lol but its all preference what i did was take the can apart there is a tune inside i cant remember how short i cut the tube but cut it where u want and weld it in the center cut everything down to length put it back together put it on the bike and ride..

fiance-03 R1 black with red flames, rims painted to match flames, vortex gas cap,Scotts damper, polished aluminum D and D can. lp short stalk clear lenses, gregs flush mounts on the front, harris yzf R1 project grips DID 530zvm chain, -1 front renthal sprocket. front forks cut 2" lowered another 1/2". custom lowering link, extened swing arm. soon to have NOS.

04 crf fiddy joker tall boy handlebar kit, joker rear brake extension and longer foot pegs. black plastic, flamed lbz graphics now in the process of building a 12 bar for the fiddy

www.r66powersports.com

" U THINK I CAN STUNT A BIKE? U SHOULD SEE ME STUNT A BAR STOOL !"--- ME DAYTONA 04
2nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 06:23 AM   #6
yammie
glory last forever

Mate i got a 98 model drilled out the riverts cut the muffler out rewelded a piece of pipe with a million holes drilled in it and re riverted it all back together cost $150 aussie dollars done in 4 hours might of been less cant remember but sounds heaps better than another pipe i"ve heard even at idle its worth a try better than spending heaps on aftermarket hey
yammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 08:52 PM   #7
yamahathe1
Dirty White Boy

Bikes: blue '02 R1,
i went ahead and just cut a few inches off the pipe, and riveted the endcap back on.....it sounds SO GOOD, i love it, and took me only an hour or two, thanks for the help guys
Old 02-09-2004, 04:18 PM   #8
RyzER
I'ma PEEYump B-Yatch

Bikes: 03 R6 {Gone}, Buell 1125R next year [damn economy]
Hey Guys:

I'm new in this forum.

Had an 03' R6 last year, and the friggin thing sounded like a sewing machine!!. People I rode with laughed at the bike, and it's lack of mid-range, and the sound of it.

I got torched repeatedly by my buddies 97 SH*T BOX GSX-R600, so I'm gettin the 04 R1!

My question is if I unrivet the end caps on the '04 R1 on both pipes, and cut a couple of inches of, will it sound better??

I DO NOT wanaa get an aftermarket pipe because the stock pipes are not only titanium, but they look the BAWWLLZ!! I think the graves pipes look ASS compared to stock (I don't care about performance loss either). All I care about is SOUND.

Please sound off on this one guys...THX
RyzER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 06:50 PM   #9
2nutty
RIP scott white 11-9-02

Bikes: 03 R1 black with red flames
i have heard that the stock exhaust on the 04 r1 is already louder than other stock systems and they are deeper throatier sound that is what i read in the 04 post. sorry i cant be more help i love my 03 r1 and plan on keeping it forever!! i just shortened my d & d and it sounds better than it did deeper and a litle louder.. i love it

fiance-03 R1 black with red flames, rims painted to match flames, vortex gas cap,Scotts damper, polished aluminum D and D can. lp short stalk clear lenses, gregs flush mounts on the front, harris yzf R1 project grips DID 530zvm chain, -1 front renthal sprocket. front forks cut 2" lowered another 1/2". custom lowering link, extened swing arm. soon to have NOS.

04 crf fiddy joker tall boy handlebar kit, joker rear brake extension and longer foot pegs. black plastic, flamed lbz graphics now in the process of building a 12 bar for the fiddy

www.r66powersports.com

" U THINK I CAN STUNT A BIKE? U SHOULD SEE ME STUNT A BAR STOOL !"--- ME DAYTONA 04
2nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:47 PM   #10
RyzER
I'ma PEEYump B-Yatch

Bikes: 03 R6 {Gone}, Buell 1125R next year [damn economy]
THx--I guess we'll just have to see then......
RyzER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #11
98R1ezz
Insane 98 R1

Bikes: 1998 R1 red/white.
Just completely gutted my staintune high rise pipe on my 98 R1 , no baffles at all and no packing , sounds boss tough on idle and like a fighter bomber low to mid and just mental noise up top , took me 2 hours , definitely no power loss , feels a bit better from top to bottom revs , still very smooth ith a mental top , its also not as loud as you would think , its loud but not obscenely loud , sounds boss , try it!.
98R1ezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement