09-13 R1 Affordable Works Radiator - Page 7 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Vendors and Group Purchases Group Purchases and Vendor sales.
GPs CAN BE SET UP BY PAYING ADVERTISERS ONLY!
Please report all unsolicited e-mail as a result of posts.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #121
Mike@UAM
I eat my R1

We just became a dealer for SAMCO Hoses. We are now able to offer you a hose kit along with the radiator now. Hoove along with VegasR1 are both running the SAMCO Xtra Flex Hoses. I only have 5 units left... I will do an end of the year special for the next 5 orders if ordered before christmas!!!

Mike
Mike@UAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #122
jhoffmann
Always Safe, Never Slow

Bikes: 2010 R1
Initial Impressions

Guys,

Just wanted to post up and give my initial impressions as I purchased this radiator for my race bike build. I am building my 2010 R1 out as a track only bike. First off I would like to say that Mike is very easy to work with and has always gotten back to me in a timely manner when I had questions or just generally bugged him about something. If all vendors were like Mike then there wouldn't be all of the horror stories out there.

Okay onto the radiator. Came boxed very well just like the pics at the beginning of this thread. When I first looked at it I was like holy cr@p that thing is huge!! The weld and craftsmanship of the radiator look very good. I did have a couple of observations that I gave Mike feedback on and he asked that I include that information here in my initial impression. The first one was the tape used to hold the plastic corrugated cardboard protection piece on during shipping. This tape is a real beeatch to get off and second was the zip ties that are used to secure the rock guard, they went into the fins of the radiator and have bent some instead of just going around the end tank. Both of these are really minor detail items that Mike has taken notes on and gone back to the manufacturer with. I have included some pics to detail the things I'm talking about. I have also included an initial pic of the radiator hanging on the bike.

I just want to say that the observations that I have stated are minor, I am very happy with the product and can't wait to get the bike finished here this next spring and get it out on the track!!

I will also be picking up the hose kit that Mike is now able to provide and will give another review once the bike is complete and running in the spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tape Residue.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	478639   Click image for larger version

Name:	zip tie to fin.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	478640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Initial hanging.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	478641  

Last edited by jhoffmann; 12-16-2012 at 05:19 PM.
jhoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #123
Epictetus
I eat my R1

Bikes: 04 WSBK R1
Hey,

Really wanted a radiator for my 2004 R1. Any chance that this will fit it? Really would like one...
Old 12-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #124
Mike@UAM
I eat my R1

I have an 04 sitting in my garage. I will take the prototype unit and see if it might fit.

Mike
Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #125
Mike@UAM
I eat my R1

Ok took a look at the 04 yesterday... The radiator is too big! I mean it is huge on the 04-07. I will have to look at the possibility for a new design for the 04. If we are to do an 04 model I will need a confirmed 10 buyers before we make one.

Mike
Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #126
kneedragger101
Racer - WERA Expert # 125

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
@jhoffman, is the hosekit different the the Samco kit for the R1?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #127
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger101 View Post
kneedragger...sent you a PM (followup to one from a month or so ago)..

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #128
Mike@UAM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger101 View Post
Hose kit is simply:

1/2" x 3ft of samco extra flex
1" x 3ft of samco extra flex

Mike
Old 12-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #129
Hoove
Stock Sucks

Bikes: 2009 R1 "under construction"
Success! I thought this project should take me about 4 hours but it actually took me two days. Hanging and hooking up the radiator is relatively straight forward. The complex part comes when you try and fit the stock bodywork back on. The rectifier regulator and the ECU brackets provided would not allow me to install the inner fairings so I really had to work to find a way to fabricate different brackets to mount them where they would not be in the way of the stock body work but I managed to come up with a workable solution. Also notice the bikini fairing on the bottom. Due to the width of the radiator I had to modify the lowers by making an insert that's a few inches wider than the stock part. I'm quite happy with the final outcome and It looks great. Now keep in mind that this is a street bike with stock bodywork turn signals etc and this kit is built for race bikes and therefore I had to spend a lot of time to keep everything looking factory on a race bike It would have taken me 4 hours and I would have just cut body work that wasn't fitting properly. But here it is and after a test ride yesterday it definitely runs cooler as long as you are moving. After reading this entire thread I'm optimistic that I won't need to install a radiator fan but it does make me nervous as I have no idea yet how hot my bike would get if I was idling in traffic for an hour. I took the bike out yesterday and sat in traffic and I never saw temps higher than 205 sitting at a long light. I don't think the stock fans came on until 219 degrees. Ill keep you updated as I have more time with it.

Last edited by Hoove; 12-25-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Hoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #130
Vega$r1
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2009 R1(sold); 2007 Ducati 1098S; 2002 R1
initial review

Sorry for the delay on the review guys, been busy but here goes:

First some pics comparing the stock radiator and the csf radiator which is substantially larger than stock. The csf rad quality seems pretty good, I had no flaws on mine, welds looked good. Came packaged double boxed, so had no problems with any damage from shipment. As for installation, my bike is a dedicated track bike, so i have a Sharkskinz upper and lower. The one con about this radiator is the supplied rectifier/ecu brackets. I managed to get the rectifier to work on the right side but as for the ecu side it is a little more difficult to get to work right, so you will really have to play with it for a while depending on what bodywork u have. The brackets are not meant for perfect bolt on, as u have to use a twist ties (at least for the ecu side). This is something that i have talked to Mike about which needs to be addressed, but at least they supply something unlike other race radiators out there. Another thing is the radiator is really wide and it is a really, really tight fit getting the lower fairing on (even with race bodywork). I used Samco X-tra flex silicone hose with the expensive no-cut hose clamps and also retained part of the plastic inlet tube instead of using hose all the way as you can see in the pics. As for performance, I got to test it @ a trackday @spring mtn motorsports ranch in pahrump, las vegas in the early fall with ambient temp around the low 80's. Bike never overheated (with the stock rad i would consistently see 240-244 deg when coming off the track). I should have had a cam installed to show temps as it is hard looking down when concentrating on the track, but i did see around 205 degrees on the track, which is a lot better. I will have to post a follow up in the spring/summer to see how it does with higher ambient temp. I will post up some more pics of the radiator with all the bodywork on when i take some more pics and will also show how i mounted the rectifier and the ecu to fit with the sharkskinz upper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3560.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	479137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3566.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	479138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3563.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	479139   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3567.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	479140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3568.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	479141  

Name:	IMG_3474.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	479142   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3483.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	479143  
Vega$r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #131
Mike@UAM
I eat my R1

Thanks for the great reviews guys!!! I am very happy that everything is working very well for you guys! Remember you have my cell phone number if you need anything at all! I am here to support you guys 100%!!!!

If anyone is interested in a unit or hose kit please PM me. I have one unit on display at Livengood Motorsports and 6 more units in warehouse.

Thanks again gentlemen!

Mike
Old 12-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #132
Hoove
Stock Sucks

I completely remade brackets and attached photos the fit is now absolutely perfect however it was quite a tedious project. You can see on the ECU bracket with extra holes that I tried a few times and eventually found the perfect location. Had I read Mikes install thread before I installed mine I may have saved some time "I didn't read this entire thread until I had already finished the project. I was happy to see that I installed the radiator just like Mike but chose to dick around with brackets for a day rather than using Velcro and zip ties.........I'm happy with the outcome but Mikes method would be quite a bit faster.

ECU bracket

ECU installed

Rectifier bracket
Old 12-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #133
Mike@UAM
I eat my R1

Hoove those brackets look great!!! can you send me the measurements you used? I want to review them and see if I can get the manufacturer to make replacement units for everyone.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #134
Hoove
Stock Sucks

Mike, The problem is that I didn't measure anything. It was all trial and error so to speak. I think the easiest thing to do would be to send you some cardboard templates. These things were a little irregular I'm not sure how I could give you measurements that made sense. PM me a mailing address and I'll mail something out to you within the next few days.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #135
Mike@UAM
I eat my R1

PM already sent brother

Anyone want some cooling upgrades before the season starts up?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #136
Mike@UAM
I eat my R1

Hey Guys,

We have new brackets in the process now. We are looking to get these on more bikes. PM me for special offer. This will be limited to 5 units! Current MSRP $1500

call or PM

Mike
Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #137
Mike@UAM
I eat my R1

Race season will be starting soon! Get your radiator before the season starts! This is a must have for 2013!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #138
Epictetus
I eat my R1

Bikes: 04 WSBK R1
I'll bite, how much are these currently going for?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:39 AM   #139
bryan niles
performance first

Bikes: 2005 Raven, 2010 Raven
Subscribed. Loving this thread more and more

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
PERFORMANCE- Sato full Titanium exhaust with MOTO GP carbon fiber Titanium cans- Gold Sato rearsets- Bmc race filter - Factory pro velocity stacks- Pc3USB- Powercommander Ignition module- secondary throttle plates removed- Brembo 19x18 radial master cylinder- DID 520 ERV3 conversion kit- RRP rear sprocket- Attack Performance magnesium triple clamps- Braking wave rear rotor- JG1 custom map- Gilles chain adjusters and lifters- Galfer stainless steel black front & rear brake line- Scotts oil filter-graves fibers-yec clutch springs-Galfer Superbike Wave Rotors-Ohlins damper-Active quick turn throttle billet black-Over adjustable racing linkage-Krankvent-Yec fuel regulator!

COSMETIC- Pro bolt and Yoyodyne titanium bolts and nuts on entire bike- Puig double bubble screen- Graves smog plates- Greggs customs black sprocket cover- Greggs customs black mirror block plates- Greggs customs black license plate bracket- Greggs Satin black fairing plugs- Factory yamaha billet engine case cover- Woodcraft case covers- CRG silver gp perch clutch lever- Gytr clutch guard- Speedohealer- Shogun clutch slider- Shogun black bar ends- Shogun black swingarm sliders- Motowheels red oil cap and drain plug- Rizoma black anodized front and rear brake reservoir- Agras red front axle sliders-Yoyodyne frame sliders-Samco red coolant hose kit-Evolution Composites Carbon Fiber tank cover and panels!

more to come!
bryan niles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #140
Mike@UAM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
I'll bite, how much are these currently going for?
You got PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement