Which upgrade to buy? - Page 2 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 12-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #21
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmo View Post
Yikes! I was afraid someone was gonna say that. No problem. I am sure I can tackle it. Is there anything important that I need to know, other than the obvious stuff? I have done tons of work on my bikes but never the fork oil.
There are specialty tools/clamps to be used with them. That's why I just send mine off twice a year

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #22
Trevmo
Ride it like you stole it!

Bikes: 2004 YZF-R1
That's probably a good idea. I wasn't sure if I needed to but I will go ahead and do it anyway. Is there anything else I need to replace? Anything inside the forks?
Trevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #23
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
That's probably a good idea. I wasn't sure if I needed to but I will go ahead and do it anyway. Is there anything else I need to replace? Anything inside the forks?
how much money do you have?? I'd make sure the springs are correct for your weight at a minimum. Other than that, the rest is just "upgrades". Make sure the back has the correct spring as well.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #24
Trevmo

I guess I could also send them off. I don't think it will be so simple though. I would probably have to send them back to the states. I don't even know where to begin as far as knowing which springs are right for my weight. I am pretty sure the fork inners are completely stock and the rear shock is stock for sure. Not sure about the spring tension though.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #25
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Quote:
I guess I could also send them off. I don't think it will be so simple though. I would probably have to send them back to the states. I don't even know where to begin as far as knowing which springs are right for my weight. I am pretty sure the fork inners are completely stock and the rear shock is stock for sure. Not sure about the spring tension though.
look up ohlins or racetech. how much do you weigh? Is this for street or track? How fast are you?

Old 12-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #26
Trevmo

I have looked into Ohlins. Haven't looked into Racetech. I weigh 165 lbs. The bike is for the street and maybe 1 track day a year. Not sure how fast I am either. I mean, I can bury the throttle and go flat out on the bike but that doesn't mean anything. As far as the cornering, I don't think I even come close to touching knee yet.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #27
mmerelles
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
I have looked into Ohlins. Haven't looked into Racetech. I weigh 165 lbs. The bike is for the street and maybe 1 track day a year. Not sure how fast I am either. I mean, I can bury the throttle and go flat out on the bike but that doesn't mean anything. As far as the cornering, I don't think I even come close to touching knee yet.
If you have some money to improve your bike performance, put a titanium full system, race air filter and pv5 +autotune. That will be a more wise investment for you usage.

Stock suspensions are fantastic stuff unless you do racing at expert level. Just get them properly serviced, tuned for you!
mmerelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #28
Trevmo

I have the exhaust with the catalytic eliminator, the k&n filter and I am going to get the PC5 with autotune. I think I am still going to do something about the suspension though. It sounds like it would really help in the corners.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #29
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Quote:
I just meant look them up for spring rates...at your weight...on an '06 ohlins suggests a .95 front and rear...since you aren't fast and do street you can be a little softer. Whoever services your suspension will know what to put in there. I don't have charts for the 04 specifically sorry.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #30
mmerelles
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
I have the exhaust with the catalytic eliminator, the k&n filter and I am going to get the PC5 with autotune. I think I am still going to do something about the suspension though. It sounds like it would really help in the corners.
if you still have money to spend go to a reputable racing school you will learn how to ride your bike properly which will help you to be safe at the street. Proper braking, acceleration, cornering, visual skills, body positioning, etc.

aftermarket suspensions will not help you at all over stock at this stage.
mmerelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #31
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerelles View Post
if you still have money to spend go to a reputable racing school you will learn how to ride your bike properly which will help you to be safe at the street. Proper braking, acceleration, cornering, visual skills, body positioning, etc.

aftermarket suspensions will not help you at all over stock at this stage.
stock setup for him with proper springs WILL

That and 8 year old oil

Old 12-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #32
Trevmo

I would love to go to a race school for a weekend or so. That's at the top of the list for me. But finding one in Germany isn't an easy task. I will take a look around next season and see what I can find. Anyone else take a class? Better yet, anyone NOT take the class before heading to the track? I am sure tons of people go without a class.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #33
tnole23
go go juice gonna make me win

Bikes: 2008 R1 Raven
for a street bike, i'd say gearing all day long. i didn't do anything drastic, and the difference between mine and a stock is ridiculous. i'm sure suspension will help and improve all that, but if you're not running around the track i hardly see the point. for street riding, adjusting the stock setup for your weight would be adequate. i haven't touched mine and i've never felt or had any issues of any kind. i can't imagine how much better it would be with full ohlins/racetech setup, but i know that how it is now is good enough for me. but man o man, the gearing wakes up the bike like you wouldn't believe. the track folks will tell u that low end doesn't matter cuz the bikes are meant to be revved, but nobody drives down the street at 10k rpm. plus a whole gear/chain set is around $200 or so. of all the mods i've done, that would be my first(besides cheap cosmetic stuff) done on any future bike.

PCIIIusb w/FlashTune|Termignoni CF Slipons|Attack Performance Rearsets|Akrapovic Y-Pipe|520 Conversion (-1/+1)|Hyperpro Damper|BlasterX|MRA Racing DB|Gilles Chain Adjuster|BMC Air Filter|Greggs Sprocket Cover|Graves Smog Plates|Speedohealer|GYTR Comfort Seat|Targa Solo Cowl|Tec-Spec Traction Pads|Passenger Pegs Powdercoated Black|Pazzo Shorties|Shogun Crash Kit|Spiegler SS Brake Lines|A&R Motorsports 6000k HIDs|Flushmounts|Fender Eliminator|Acumen Gear Indicator
tnole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:19 AM   #34
AHB537
R1 it's Legendary...like MOTO

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 50th Anniversary GP no.1350 2003 YZF-R1-track bike(sold) 2004KX250(sold) 2004 GSXR600(sold) 2000CR500(sadly sold) 2002 CBRF4i-track bike(sold) 1996 CBRF3(sold)
SUSPENSION!!! Two MOST important features on any bike I don't care what anyone says is "SUSPENSION AND BRAKING!!!" Regardless of aftermarket parts. Suspension is pretty much your knee's and elbow's on a bike while your brakes are more like your abs and back. You can lift weights all you want but if those area's of the body are bad you ain't SHIZZO!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #35
Trevmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHB537 View Post
SUSPENSION!!! Two MOST important features on any bike I don't care what anyone says is "SUSPENSION AND BRAKING!!!" Regardless of aftermarket parts. Suspension is pretty much your knee's and elbow's on a bike while your brakes are more like your abs and back. You can lift weights all you want but if those area's of the body are bad you ain't SHIZZO!
I agree. But, being that I only use the bike for the street, shelling out the money for Ohlins is a little crazy IMO. I will fine tune the stock suspension, including changing the fork oil. I will also get a good set of brake pads to go with the Spiegler lines.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:25 AM   #36
Trevmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnole23 View Post
for a street bike, i'd say gearing all day long. i didn't do anything drastic, and the difference between mine and a stock is ridiculous. i'm sure suspension will help and improve all that, but if you're not running around the track i hardly see the point. for street riding, adjusting the stock setup for your weight would be adequate. i haven't touched mine and i've never felt or had any issues of any kind. i can't imagine how much better it would be with full ohlins/racetech setup, but i know that how it is now is good enough for me. but man o man, the gearing wakes up the bike like you wouldn't believe. the track folks will tell u that low end doesn't matter cuz the bikes are meant to be revved, but nobody drives down the street at 10k rpm. plus a whole gear/chain set is around $200 or so. of all the mods i've done, that would be my first(besides cheap cosmetic stuff) done on any future bike.
Why kind of gear/chain setup are you using and where did you get the parts? I am interested in what I can do to make the low end a little better. After all, I also don't ride down the street at 10K+ RPM's.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:27 AM   #37
tnole23

Quote:
I agree. But, being that I only use the bike for the street, shelling out the money for Ohlins is a little crazy IMO. I will fine tune the stock suspension, including changing the fork oil. I will also get a good set of brake pads to go with the Spiegler lines.
that was my feeling, for me it's a street bike. and while upgrading suspension and braking is beneficial due to their importance, the stock setup is far from incapable. i have a hard time believing that anyone can exceed the capabilities of them on the street. track, sure, but not until u start getting into int. and adv.

PCIIIusb w/FlashTune|Termignoni CF Slipons|Attack Performance Rearsets|Akrapovic Y-Pipe|520 Conversion (-1/+1)|Hyperpro Damper|BlasterX|MRA Racing DB|Gilles Chain Adjuster|BMC Air Filter|Greggs Sprocket Cover|Graves Smog Plates|Speedohealer|GYTR Comfort Seat|Targa Solo Cowl|Tec-Spec Traction Pads|Passenger Pegs Powdercoated Black|Pazzo Shorties|Shogun Crash Kit|Spiegler SS Brake Lines|A&R Motorsports 6000k HIDs|Flushmounts|Fender Eliminator|Acumen Gear Indicator
Old 12-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #38
tnole23

Quote:
Why kind of gear/chain setup are you using and where did you get the parts? I am interested in what I can do to make the low end a little better. After all, I also don't ride down the street at 10K+ RPM's.
i usually use motomummy, i like free shipping. i used driven sprockets and ekmv 520 chain. i used -1/+1, though most recommended the -1/+2. i think with my setup my top speed still exceeds 180, so for me that wasn't a sacrifice of any usable speed.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #39
tnole23

Quote:
brakes do need upgrading if u wanna dabble on the track. ss lines and pads. both pretty cheap. one track day and my pads glazed and haven't stopped squealing. not sure they're up to it when it comes to track use.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #40
AHB537
R1 it's Legendary...like MOTO

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 50th Anniversary GP no.1350 2003 YZF-R1-track bike(sold) 2004KX250(sold) 2004 GSXR600(sold) 2000CR500(sadly sold) 2002 CBRF4i-track bike(sold) 1996 CBRF3(sold)
Ohlins...just blow my load thinking of it. Anyhow enough with the foreplay. If you can afford Ohlins then do it if not then go with their springs preferably according to your weight and type of riding. Upgrading your valves would be great too and I'd again chose Ohlins. Nothing against Racetech they make good stuff as well but like they in this case you are paying for what you get. Even better is to have a true professional change it out for you and if possible have a professional adjust the settings to your weight. I'm not talking your so called "professional" at the dealership. I mean a true professional. Anyhow hope this helps.
Advertisement